RogueValleyForum.com
Craigslist funny stuff - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Craigslist funny stuff (/showthread.php?tid=10833)

RE: Craigslist funny stuff - Scrapper - 07-07-2014

Just because one person can't see the value in something doesn't mean the value is not there.

RE: Craigslist funny stuff - tvguy - 07-07-2014

(07-06-2014, 09:34 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(07-06-2014, 06:26 PM)tvguy Wrote: So what do you think. Is this seller innocent, ignorant, naive? Or are they just pretending the model is some kind of celebrity and that they don't know this tray is very common and being sold on ebay for less than half of the $50.00 they are asking?

I think it's somewhat of a con.

'COKE TRAY' '50'S 'WHO IS THE MODEL? - $50 (MEDFORD)

condition: excellent
'COKE TRAY' '50'S ORIGINAL AND 'WHO DO YOU THINK IS THE MODEL????
THIS TRAY IS WELL WORTH THE ASKING PRICE AND WHEN YOU BUY IT I WILL SHARE A GREAT STORY ABOUT THIS 'COKE TRAY'
THANKS,, COME AND TAKE IT HOME!

[Image: 00g0g_iFt7mpEwsz8_600x450.jpg]

I can't tell. I don't know who the model is either, if it is somebody famous. However three out of four quicky google searches show it going for $40.00 and higher....so I'd say it's a buyers market. Buyer beware, but whatever the market supports.

Well your mistake is trying to estimate the value of an item by the price people are ASKING.
Anyone can ask anything. The most accurate way to determine an items worth is to find out the price the item has actually sold for.
That's what I did. And I didn't find one single sale that was anywhere near the inflated price this seller is asking.
And also no one else pretended or implied the model was someone notable.

(07-07-2014, 07:09 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Just because one person can't see the value in something doesn't mean the value is not there.

See above.

I repeat....
Just because one person can't see the value in something doesn't mean the value is not there.

(07-07-2014, 12:41 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I repeat....

Tells that to an appraiser.

Depends on what you mean by value. Apparently you don't mean a monetary value.
I thought it was pretty clear that was what I was talking about.

Your comment still makes little sense in respect to the item we are talking about.

It's CASH value is only what people are willing to pay. Good luck trying to sell something for some inflated price that YOU think something is worth based on who knows what.

You can't fix stupid.

You may deal in junk... does that make you an expert in ALL collectibles? Have you ever heard "one person's junk is another person's treasure"? Who are you to say how much another person may be willing to pay for something?

Keep in mind that "there is an ass for every seat". Either the person will find the person willing to pay what they're asking... or they they'll find the person that they're willing to haggle with... or they'll end up keeping it. Just know, without a doubt, that "there is an ass for every seat".

(07-07-2014, 01:21 PM)Scrapper Wrote: You may deal in junk... does that make you an expert in ALL collectibles? Have you ever heard "one person's junk is another person's treasure"? Who are you to say how much another person may be willing to pay for something?

Keep in mind that "there is an ass for every seat". Either the person will find the person willing to pay what they're asking... or they they'll find the person that they're willing to haggle with... or they'll end up keeping it. Just know, without a doubt, that "there is an ass for every seat".

You posted here with an attitude with a rather stupid comment as far as what I was talking about.
I explained to Tia explicitly what I meant by value and how one determines value. And in this case I was OBVIOUSLY talking about cash value.
Your response was to simply repeat your ignorant comment.

And the phrase "one person's junk is another person's treasure" means absolutely NOTHING in the retail world. You won't get anywhere pricing an item based on the theory that you will find the "ONE" person who thinks your item is a treasure.

As to whether or not I'm an "expert"? First of all I never said I was, I simply showed how IMO some sellers are either ignorant or deceitful. And I've explained why in detail. Plus I showed how you don't HAVE to be an expert to determine an items REAL cash value.
And if you look at the original post I was asking for opinions while I gave mine.
BEFORE there was a Craigslist I was a power seller on ebay. So I've been buying and selling items online for about 20 years now. So compared to most I am an expert.
Also, sorry as much as you want to denigrate what I do,I don't sell junk.

Who am I to "say how much another person may be willing to pay for something?"

Well Scrapper I'm someone with a lot of experience doing exactly that. Deciding what an item is worth. Buying the item and reselling it based on my opinion and knowledge and my ability to find what an items REAL cash value actually is.

RE: Craigslist funny stuff - Tiamat - 07-07-2014

(07-07-2014, 10:48 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-06-2014, 06:26 PM)tvguy Wrote: So what do you think. Is this seller innocent, ignorant, naive? Or are they just pretending the model is some kind of celebrity and that they don't know this tray is very common and being sold on ebay for less than half of the $50.00 they are asking?

THIS TRAY IS WELL WORTH THE ASKING PRICE AND WHEN YOU BUY IT I WILL SHARE A GREAT STORY ABOUT THIS 'COKE TRAY'

I can't tell. I don't know who the model is either, if it is somebody famous. However three out of four quicky google searches show it going for $40.00 and higher....so I'd say it's a buyers market. Buyer beware, but whatever the market supports.

Well your mistake is trying to estimate the value of an item by the price people are ASKING.
Anyone can ask anything. The most accurate way to determine an items worth is to find out the price the item has actually sold for.
That's what I did. And I didn't find one single sale that was anywhere near the inflated price this seller is asking.

I get it. I just don't know if it qualifies the seller as a con or ignorant based on some of the stuff other people are asking. In other words, my post is more based on the topic than the product. Ya know?

(07-07-2014, 02:47 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(07-07-2014, 10:48 AM)tvguy Wrote:

I get it. I just don't know if it qualifies the seller as a con or ignorant based on some of the stuff other people are asking. In other words, my post is more based on the topic than the product. Ya know?

Quote:based on some of the stuff other people are asking

No, based on what the item actually is selling for.

OK. Like I said I "THINK" it's somewhat of a con.

As far as ignorant I don't know if this person knows the real value of the item or not. BUT the person did say "THIS TRAY IS WELL WORTH THE ASKING PRICE" That pretty much tells me they THINK they know the real value.
But the fact is it's not at all when you can easily buy the same thing for less than half of this persons asking price.
I just think the implication that the model is someone notable along with a price that is supposedly well worth it is likely pure deceit.

What I'm saying is that this person is either ignorant or trying to con someone in to thinking the item is worth more than it is.
IMO it has to be one or the other.

RE: Craigslist funny stuff - Hugo - 07-07-2014

(07-07-2014, 01:09 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Your comment still makes little sense in respect to the item we are talking about.

It's CASH value is only what people are willing to pay. Good luck trying to sell something for some inflated price that YOU think something is worth based on who knows what.

It is my opinion that scrapper did not make her post as a simple opinion. She posted in an antagonistic posture and has continued to do so. She does not care about the subject of the argument, she is posting for the act of arguing for it's own sake.

(07-07-2014, 03:01 PM)Hugo Wrote:

It is my opinion that scrapper did not make her post as a simple opinion. She posted in an antagonistic posture and has continued to do so. She does not care about the subject of the argument, she is posting for the act of arguing for it's own sake.

Silly! I was talking about your post. The one that started the conversation about the tray.

(07-07-2014, 02:03 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-07-2014, 01:21 PM)Scrapper Wrote: You may deal in junk... does that make you an expert in ALL collectibles? Have you ever heard "one person's junk is another person's treasure"? Who are you to say how much another person may be willing to pay for something?

You posted here with an attitude with a rather stupid comment as far as what I was talking about.
I explained to Tia explicitly what I meant by value and how one determines value. And in this case I was OBVIOUSLY talking about cash value.
Your response was to simply repeat your ignorant comment.

And the phrase "one person's junk is another person's treasure" means absolutely NOTHING in the retail world. You won't get anywhere pricing an item based on the theory that you will find the "ONE" person who thinks your item is a treasure.

As to whether or not I'm an "expert"? First of all I never said I was, I simply showed how IMO some sellers are either ignorant or deceitful. And I've explained why in detail. Plus I showed how you don't HAVE to be an expert to determine an items REAL cash value.
And if you look at the original post I was asking for opinions while I gave mine.
BEFORE there was a Craigslist I was a power seller on ebay. So I've been buying and selling items online for about 20 years now. So compared to most I am an expert.
Also, sorry as much as you want to denigrate what I do,I don't sell junk.

Who am I to "say how much another person may be willing to pay for something?"

Well Scrapper I'm someone with a lot of experience doing exactly that. Deciding what an item is worth. Buying the item and reselling it based on my opinion and knowledge and my ability to find what an items REAL cash value actually is.

So what? Because you think you know it all... the person selling is either ignorant or a con artist?!?! Pffft. If you think it's too much... pass it by. You're obviously not the ass for that seat.

Ooops, nevermind. Someone else was talking to me and I didn't read this last piece correctly. Sorry.

Hey Hugo... Read your avatar! Eyebrows 'Nuff said! Laughing Laughing Laughing

(07-07-2014, 03:02 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Silly! I was talking about your post. The one that started the conversation about the tray.

I think you were meaning to say this to TV?

I don't think so. I just think TV offends her personally and it puts her into attack mode.Big Grin No offense, Scrapper.Smiling

(07-07-2014, 03:04 PM)Scrapper Wrote:

Hey Hugo... Read your avatar! Eyebrows 'Nuff said! Laughing Laughing Laughing

.... and then she simply proves my point. Smiling

(07-07-2014, 03:04 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(07-07-2014, 03:02 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

I think you were meaning to say this to TV?

Yes, see my other post.

(07-07-2014, 03:04 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

I don't think so. I just think TV offends her personally and it puts her into attack mode.Big Grin No offense, Scrapper.Smiling

That's pretty much what I meant to imply. You said it better, thank you.