RogueValleyForum.com
make a gun on a 3D printer - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Debate (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: National and World News (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: make a gun on a 3D printer (/showthread.php?tid=11050)

Pages: 1 2

make a gun on a 3D printer - bbqboy - 07-30-2012

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2012-07/working-assault-rifle-made-3-d-printer
[Image: printedgun.jpg]
Get ready. It's now possible to print weapons at home.
An amateur gunsmith, operating under the handle of "HaveBlue" (incidentally, "Have Blue" is the codename that was used for the prototype stealth fighter that became the Lockheed F-117), announced recently in online forums that he had successfully printed a serviceable .22 caliber pistol.
Despite predictions of disaster, the pistol worked. It successfully fired 200 rounds in testing.
HaveBlue then decided to push the limits of what was possible and use his printer to make an AR-15 rifle. To do this, he downloaded plans for an AR-15 in the Solidworks file format from a site called CNCGunsmith.com. After some small modifications to the design, he fed about $30 of ABS plastic feedstock into his late-model Stratasys printer. The result was a functional AR-15 rifle. Early testing shows that it works, although it still has some minor feed and extraction problems to be worked out.
HaveBlue has also been testing the "marketplace" for 3-D printing weapons. To do this he asked Thingiverse, the 3-D design sharing site run by Makerbot Industries, whether it was permissible to post weapons designs or not. According to HaveBlue, Makerbot's senior leadership decided to not disallow, but to discourage, the posting of weapons designs. Haveblue then posted a design for an AR-15 part on Thingiverse, but in the intensive legal discussion that followed Haveblue's posting, Thingiverse decided to ban weapons designs outright. However, since Haveblue's design is still on the site, it's unclear whether Thingiverse is enforcing a ban or not.
While there are still some details to sort out, it's pretty clear that making weapons at home using 3-D printers from commonly available materials is going to become much more commonplace in the near future. In fact, as 3-D printing technology matures, materials feedstock improves, and designs for weapons proliferate, we might soon see the day when nearly everyone will be able to print the weapons of their choice in the numbers they desire, all within the privacy of their own homes.

RE: make a gun on a 3D printer - orygunluvr - 07-30-2012

To bad this is impossible. Try again barbie.LaughingLaughing

Just shows the intelligence and critical thinking of leftists.

RE: make a gun on a 3D printer - Lamont Cranston - 07-30-2012

(07-30-2012, 09:07 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: To bad this is impossible. Try again barbie.LaughingLaughing

Just shows the intelligence and critical thinking of leftists.

What's impossible? The 3D printing technique or that a gun was made using it?

If you knew anything about firearms, like you blather on about, you wouldn't have to ask.

RE: make a gun on a 3D printer - bbqboy - 07-30-2012

Popular Science is now a Commie magazine?
I didn't author the article, but nice of you to turn it into a personal attack, as usual....

(07-30-2012, 09:20 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: If you knew anything about firearms, like you blather on about, you wouldn't have to ask.

Please explain your statement, because it is possible to do.

(07-30-2012, 09:27 AM)Lamont Cranston Wrote:
(07-30-2012, 09:20 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: If you knew anything about firearms, like you blather on about, you wouldn't have to ask.

Rather than me give you the answer it would be best if you just googled it. Also, no, it isn't possible.

so you can't answer. nice.

(07-30-2012, 09:40 AM)orygunluvr Wrote:

Rather than me give you the answer it would be best if you just googled it. Also, no, it isn't possible.

I did Google it, did you? Even Forbes Magazine, hardly a left wing mouthpiece, says you can do it. To be fair, all the builder made was the receiver, but thats the important piece if you didn't know that.Unsure

Still not possible to make a firearm on a 3d printer. The receiver is the only part. The barrel, trigger group, and bolt are all precision parts that are hardened.

Parts are much different than a complete firearm. The printer doesn't make the necessary threading for the parts either. The article also says the AR didn't cycle. Because even an AR receiver has to be more precision than the printer can manufacture.

I wasn't referring to the publications as leftists, it was you idiots. This crap will run for the next 2 weeks Mandow and mslsd. It is the leftists crisis of the week.

(07-30-2012, 10:01 AM)Lamont Cranston Wrote:
(07-30-2012, 09:40 AM)orygunluvr Wrote:

I did Google it, did you? Even Forbes Magazine, hardly a left wing mouthpiece, says you can do it. To be fair, all the builder made was the receiver, but thats the important piece if you didn't know that.Unsure

I don't need to google anything. I have manufactured many firearms, legally.

Google pistol in cell phone. A little scarier than this.

RE: make a gun on a 3D printer - PonderThis - 07-30-2012

I have an idea in mind for a plastic pvc gun that shoots ice bullets that are rotated while freezing, leaving a hollow space inside for filling with the explosive gas of your choice, and a detonator to go off on impact. If this idea worked, the gun itself could be propelled similar to a potato gun. I freely give this idea to the anarchists of the world. Smiling

Once again OL has wandered into crazyville while at the same time denying facts that are presented to him.Big Grin. What does manufacturing firearms, legally have to do with whether a gun can be made using a 3d printer? If you don't believe in 3d printers just say so.

You don't need a detonator for the gas. You need to be able to compress it enough to make it explode.

(07-30-2012, 10:24 AM)Lamont Cranston Wrote: Once again OL has wandered into crazyville while at the same time denying facts that are presented to him.Big Grin

And what facts might those be?

(07-30-2012, 10:15 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: Still not possible to make a firearm on a 3d printer. The receiver is the only part. The barrel, trigger group, and bolt are all precision parts that are hardened.

Parts are much different than a complete firearm. The printer doesn't make the necessary threading for the parts either. The article also says the AR didn't cycle. Because even an AR receiver has to be more precision than the printer can manufacture.

I wasn't referring to the publications as leftists, it was you idiots. This crap will run for the next 2 weeks Mandow and mslsd. It is the leftists crisis of the week.

I made no comment at all. How you got left wing out of a Popular Science article just shows how warped and sick you are.

RE: make a gun on a 3D printer - Chris - 07-30-2012

(07-30-2012, 10:25 AM)bbqboy Wrote:
(07-30-2012, 10:15 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: Still not possible to make a firearm on a 3d printer. The receiver is the only part. The barrel, trigger group, and bolt are all precision parts that are hardened.

I made no comment at all. How you got left wing out of a Popular Science article just shows how warped and sick you are.

Even when a topic has NOTHING to do with politics, Orygunluvr is so twisted and filled with hate, that he must spit his venom.

OL is a sick, sick person. Sick, twisted people with firearms fetishes are EXACTLY the types I worry about; who knows when their verbal and written hatred will be manifested in tragedy for innocents?

It's always right under the surface, isn't it? The thing is, OL is not a stupid person either, and surely he can't even believe himself half the stuff he writes.

RE: make a gun on a 3D printer - chuck white - 07-30-2012

(07-30-2012, 10:20 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I have an idea in mind for a plastic pvc gun that shoots ice bullets that are rotated while freezing, leaving a hollow space inside for filling with the explosive gas of your choice, and a detonator to go off on impact. If this idea worked, the gun itself could be propelled similar to a potato gun. I freely give this idea to the anarchists of the world. Smiling

I have applied for a patent on your idea , so it's no longer free to the anarchist.
I just haven't figured out how to force them into paying me royalties.

No, my public disclosure on an open forum precedes your patent application, making this idea indeed open-source. Smiling

I'd also like it to be henceforth referred to as the "RVF Model".