RogueValleyForum.com
Record Breaking Weather - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Debate (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: National and World News (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Record Breaking Weather (/showthread.php?tid=16187)

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Valuesize - 11-23-2015

(11-23-2015, 10:07 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(11-23-2015, 09:14 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Okay. I know this does not have anything to do with "Record Breaking Weather" but I'm posting it here anyway. I mean, it's "ballpark" ...

My wife has a car that displays the outside temperature. (I, on the other hand have a bare-bones truck without electric windows). So I'm wondering: Where do they locate the device that records the temperature? Seems to be reasonably accurate and I can't guess where that little do-hicky is located. 

Anyone know? 

Hopefully not next to the engine. 

Edit: I looked on line and discovered most of these sensors are locates under the car or behind the bumper. 

I had one on a Volvo I used to have. It was in the front grill area below the drivers side headlamp. Here are some Mercedes photos I found....

[Image: 112622d1188458937-ambient-temp-sensor-lo...sensor.jpg]

[Image: 454733d1341749653-outside-temp-reading-i...sensor.jpg]

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Wonky3 - 11-23-2015

(11-23-2015, 10:07 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(11-23-2015, 09:14 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Okay. I know this does not have anything to do with "Record Breaking Weather" but I'm posting it here anyway. I mean, it's "ballpark" ...

My wife has a car that displays the outside temperature. (I, on the other hand have a bare-bones truck without electric windows). So I'm wondering: Where do they locate the device that records the temperature? Seems to be reasonably accurate and I can't guess where that little do-hicky is located. 

Anyone know? 

Hopefully not next to the engine. 

Edit: I looked on line and discovered most of these sensors are locates under the car or behind the bumper. 
Like Tom Sawyer who got his pals to paint the fence, I waited for you to look it up online. I'm not even ashamed...telling you a lot about my character. Or lack of. 
Still, wherever they put it it's very clever technology. It seems to be reasonably accurate. (I'm sure the Russians invented it...first.  Laughing  ) 

RE: Record Breaking Weather - tvguy - 11-23-2015

(11-22-2015, 06:34 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-22-2015, 03:55 PM)chuck white Wrote: Riiiight, Chuck's  record weather info not only has no value but it will make us  "miss the things with real value" or it is " simply useless, mislead, confound or lead to evil events."

I've been found out.

Not at all chuck. But tell me, what real value do you you see in knowing that? You like to report weather, but that thing reports almost nothing of any weather value. And so I responded by saying so. I tried to be clear. 

TVg, who constantly chides me for telling others what to post, then took it on his self to chide me for my opinion saying I took the conversation off topic. 

But enough. This is "The Weather Topic" and while I did respond to a your post about "weather" this is jumping the tracks. 

"And never the twain shall meet". 

TVg, who constantly chides me for telling others what to post, then took it on his self to chide me for my opinion saying I took the conversation off topic.

Nope sorry that's just plain false. I could care less if anyone EVER takes a thread off topic. You on the other hand are the one who has a problem with that.
But yes I have chided you for telling others what to post on this thread, but not as many times as you have complained about this thread having no value or purpose.

BTW you were labeled the hall monitor and Nanny by many others WAY before I ever said anything about it.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Wonky3 - 11-23-2015

(11-23-2015, 03:47 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-22-2015, 06:34 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-22-2015, 03:55 PM)chuck white Wrote: Riiiight, Chuck's  record weather info not only has no value but it will make us  "miss the things with real value" or it is " simply useless, mislead, confound or lead to evil events."

I've been found out.

Not at all chuck. But tell me, what real value do you you see in knowing that? You like to report weather, but that thing reports almost nothing of any weather value. And so I responded by saying so. I tried to be clear. 

But enough. This is "The Weather Topic" and while I did respond to a your post about "weather" this is jumping the tracks. 

"And never the twain shall meet". 

Nope sorry that's just plain false. I could care less if anyone EVER takes a thread off topic. You on the other hand are the one who has a problem with that.
But yes I have chided you for telling others what to post on this thread, but not as many times as you have complained about this thread having no value or purpose.

BTW you were labeled the hall monitor and Nanny by many others WAY before I ever said anything about it.

Whatever...not worth the energy. 

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Someones Dad - 11-23-2015

(11-21-2015, 06:19 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-21-2015, 01:33 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-21-2015, 12:36 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-20-2015, 10:44 PM)chuck white Wrote: Snowfall records by state in the U. S. (24 hours)

http://www.weatherquestions.com/What_are_the_record_snowfalls_by_state.htm

Interesting stuff.

California
Echo Summit Sierra at Tahoe
67.0 in.
January 5, 1982

So...

California gets a lot of snow. Except in San Diego. 
Men are stronger than women. 
Cigarette smokers ALL die early deaths. 
The millions of guns in our country are not a problem.
Muslims are terrorists. 
Marriage is a secure institution. 

Well...

Charts, graphs, studies, and report give us information. 

What value is there in knowing which state has the record snowfall? 

Just fun? 

I guess. 

What "value"?  Let me ask you. What value is there in you basically bitching about this thread a half a dozen times since it started almost two years ago? You don't get the concept, OK pretty sure everyone knows it by now.

"Just fun? "  That's already been asked by YOU and answered.

You totally missed the point (per usual). It's a weather chart. Interesting and fun for what it's worth, but it reminds us (me at least) that we have to be careful about how we process information. And THAT is the point. 

If you find something uninteresting, can't you just skip it?  I enjoyed the information in the graph.  It did not bother me that it might be unimportant in the larger picture.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - bbqboy - 11-24-2015

When SD starts bitching at Wonky, have we turned a corner or jumped the shark?

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Wonky3 - 11-24-2015

(11-23-2015, 09:18 PM)Someones Dad Wrote:
(11-21-2015, 12:36 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-20-2015, 10:44 PM)chuck white Wrote: Snowfall records by state in the U. S. (24 hours)

Interesting stuff.

California
67.0 in.
January 5, 1982

So...

Muslims are terrorists. 

Well...

Just fun? 

I guess. 

What "value"?  Let me ask you. What value is there in you basically bitching about this thread a half a dozen times since it started almost two years ago? You don't get the concept, OK pretty sure everyone knows it by now.

You totally missed the point (per usual). It's a weather chart. Interesting and fun for what it's worth, but it reminds us (me at least) that we have to be careful about how we process information. And THAT is the point. 

If you find something uninteresting, can't you just skip it?  I enjoyed the information in the graph.  It did not bother me that it might be unimportant in the larger picture.

You have a good and important point. Of course I could have just skipped it. (Often skip things I see here and other places, as do you, I'm sure).

My POINT was not really about snowfall, but how it was presented. It only reminded me of the problem we are having in this new "information age" that we are getting swamped with "information" and lots and lots of it has little or no value other than to entertain or distract us. (And information deliberately published to entertain or distract DOES have value of course). 

So, I used that post to attempt to illustrate a point: Snowfall "by state" has little informational value. Obviously, you don't feel it was valid or important, and worse, maybe insulting or rude. Sorry you feel that way. But, I'll hold to my point, however unnecessary you feel it was. 

This is a forum. I used some space to present a personal view. All things considered, you could have just as easily skipped my post. 

RE: Record Breaking Weather - tvguy - 11-24-2015

(11-24-2015, 02:12 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-21-2015, 12:36 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Interesting stuff.

California
67.0 in.
January 5, 1982

So...

Muslims are terrorists. 

Well...

Just fun? 

I guess. 

You have a good and important point. Of course I could have just skipped it. (Often skip things I see here and other places, as do you, I'm sure).

My POINT was not really about snowfall, but how it was presented. It only reminded me of the problem we are having in this new "information age" that we are getting swamped with "information" and lots and lots of it has little or no value other than to entertain or distract us. (And information deliberately published to entertain or distract DOES have value of course). 

So, I used that post to attempt to illustrate a point: Snowfall "by state" has little informational value. Obviously, you don't feel it was valid or important, and worse, maybe insulting or rude. Sorry you feel that way. But, I'll hold to my point, however unnecessary you feel it was. 

This is a forum. I used some space to present a personal view. All things considered, you could have just as easily skipped my post. 

To YOU!!!

"I used some space to present a personal view.". Over and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER.

What REALLY has ZERO "informational value" is YOUR multiple posts telling us YOUR opinion that these records have no value.

I looked at the record snowfall in a 24 hour period and I found it interesting that almost every single record that was set was many years ago.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - chuck white - 11-24-2015

Quote:The Ann Arbor area certainly didn't miss out on the snowfall across the state on Saturday.

The area saw the most snow fall during a 24-hour period in November since record collection began in 1880, said Dennis Kahlbaum, University of Michigan staff meteorologist.
The snowfall recorded at the University of Michigan reached 10.7 inches, according to the National Weather Service

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2015/11/ann_arbor_hits_record_with_107.html

A way to go from the state record.
Herman, Michigan 32.0 in. December 2, 1985

RE: Record Breaking Weather - cletus1 - 11-24-2015

(11-24-2015, 02:59 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-21-2015, 01:33 PM)tvguy Wrote: What "value"?  Let me ask you. What value is there in you basically bitching about this thread a half a dozen times since it started almost two years ago? You don't get the concept, OK pretty sure everyone knows it by now.

To YOU!!!

"I used some space to present a personal view.". Over and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER.

What REALLY has ZERO "informational value" is YOUR multiple posts telling us YOUR opinion that these records have no value.

I looked at the record snowfall in a 24 hour period and I found it interesting that almost every single record that was set was many years ago.

A personal view (relative to this discussion) when repeated often, starts to look like an attempt shape the conversation here. The idea that somethings are a waste of time is subjective. What one person considers to be a waste of time might be something another person really enjoys, so, it sure isn't a waste of time to that person. 

RE: Record Breaking Weather - chuck white - 11-24-2015

Quote:Weekly data published by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration shows that the region of the Pacific generally used to gauge El Niño’s strength has officially surpassed the 1997-98 super El Niño in terms of warmth

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/one-graph-shows-el-ninos-new-record-19693

[Image: 11_16_15_Brian_ElNinoWeekly2_720_480_s_c1_c_c.jpg]

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Valuesize - 11-24-2015

Hey Chuck,

What's your take on "The Blob" off the west coast? Are there other similar anomalies elsewhere in the world?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blob_(Pacific_Ocean)

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Wonky3 - 11-25-2015

(11-24-2015, 03:28 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(11-21-2015, 06:19 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: You totally missed the point (per usual). It's a weather chart. Interesting and fun for what it's worth, but it reminds us (me at least) that we have to be careful about how we process information. And THAT is the point. 

To YOU!!!

A personal view (relative to this discussion) when repeated often, starts to look like an attempt shape the conversation here. The idea that somethings are a waste of time is subjective. What one person considers to be a waste of time might be something another person really enjoys, so, it sure isn't a waste of time to that person. 

Well said and I agree...to a point. 
However, I posted that personal view only once. The other posts were responses to my remarks in the original post. 
I could have simply read and passed by the "Snowfall by state" post. Instead, I used it to make remarks about the flood of information now showered on us that all too often has little, in any, value. That many continue to see it as my problem with "Snowfall" rather than problem we have with too much "information" that dumbs us down to the importance of real and useful information, is beyond sad. 
I'm not sure I can define "critical thinking" but I know it when I see it.  Wink

RE: Record Breaking Weather - bbqboy - 11-25-2015

Too bad you don't seem to be able to explain it or implement it yourself. Beyond sad. Big Grin

(11-25-2015, 09:40 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Too bad you don't seem to be able to explain it or implement it yourself. Beyond sad. Big Grin

The beauty of this space is you are allowed to toss around personal barbs without fear. Beyond courage.  Wink

RE: Record Breaking Weather - chuck white - 11-25-2015

(11-24-2015, 10:09 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Hey Chuck,

What's your take on "The Blob" off the west coast? Are there other similar anomalies elsewhere in the world?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blob_(Pacific_Ocean)

My bad.

The warm spot off shore was me.
I really had to go and there was nothing but beach.
Who knew it would linger so long.
Embarrassed

RE: Record Breaking Weather - tvguy - 11-25-2015

(11-25-2015, 09:30 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-23-2015, 09:18 PM)Someones Dad Wrote: If you find something uninteresting, can't you just skip it?  I enjoyed the information in the graph.  It did not bother me that it might be unimportant in the larger picture.

To YOU!!!

However, I posted that personal view only once. The other posts were responses to my remarks in the original post. 
I could have simply read and passed by the "Snowfall by state" post. Instead, I used it to make remarks about the flood of information now showered on us that all too often has little, in any, value. That many continue to see it as my problem with "Snowfall" rather than problem we have with too much "information" that dumbs us down to the importance of real and useful information, is beyond sad. 
However, I posted that personal view only once. Wink

If anyone is being dumbed down it's just you. You are the ONLY one here with this Crazy ass idea that posting weather records is TOO MUCH information.

" However, I posted that personal view only once."
Once my ass.

That's a lot of bullshit. Maybe your memory is shot, mine isn't Do I Really have to go back and C&P the half a dozen times you bitched about this thread?

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Jeep - 11-25-2015

(11-25-2015, 01:33 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 02:12 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: You have a good and important point. Of course I could have just skipped it. (Often skip things I see here and other places, as do you, I'm sure).

To YOU!!!

If anyone is being dumbed down it's just you. You are the ONLY one here with this Crazy ass idea that posting weather records is TOO MUCH information.

Once my ass.

That's a lot of bullshit. Maybe your memory is shot, mine isn't Do I Really have to go back and C&P the half a dozen times you bitched about this thr

More like 2 dozen times.

(11-24-2015, 02:12 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: You have a good and important point. Of course I could have just skipped it. (Often skip things I see here and other places, as do you, I'm sure).

To YOU!!!

Once my ass.

That's a lot of bullshit. Maybe your memory is shot, mine isn't Do I Really have to go back and C&P the half a dozen times you bitched about this thread?

I'm as tired of this as is everyone else, I'm sure. 
Only once did I post my view about our "information age" and that we are flooded with information that is often of little, in any use. I used "Snowfall by State" only as an example. 
I have made comments in general about "Record Breaking Weather, but never personal insulting remarks that should cause so much strife. 
That you can't parse that says more about you than me. 
Wag more, bark less, and by all means read more and opine less. 

RE: Record Breaking Weather - tvguy - 11-25-2015

(11-25-2015, 06:10 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 02:59 PM)tvguy Wrote: To YOU!!!

Once my ass.

I'm as tired of this as is everyone else, I'm sure. 
Only once did I post my view about our "information age" and that we are flooded with information that is often of little, in any use. I used "Snowfall by State" only as an example. 
I have made comments in general about "Record Breaking Weather, but never personal insulting remarks that should cause so much strife. 
That you can't parse that says more about you than me. 
Wag more, bark less, and by all means read more and opine less. 

You can't separate your endless remarks about what post has value and what doesn't and pretend that your latest was any different than all the others because you tossed in the "too much info" bullshit.

If you're tired of this as is everyone else, Then stop your endless posts stating what is or isn't valuable

I haven't said anything that isn't true and if you find that insulting or personal that's your problem.