RogueValleyForum.com
Record Breaking Weather - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Debate (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: National and World News (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Record Breaking Weather (/showthread.php?tid=16187)

RE: Record Breaking Weather - tvguy - 03-03-2016

(03-03-2016, 09:36 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(03-03-2016, 08:24 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(03-03-2016, 04:50 AM)chuck white Wrote:
Quote:Earth's temperature soared to a record high last month, a whopping 1.5 degrees above average as measured by weather satellites.

That's a huge amount in climate science, where records are often broken by hundredths or tenths of degrees. The level makes February the most unusually warm month ever recorded, scientists from the University of Alabama at Huntsville (UAH) said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2016/03/02/february-record-warm-month-satellite-data/81205154/

C or F?

Only five countries use Fahrenheit to measure climate temperatures and most of them do very little (if any) climate science. The U.S. should joint the rest of the world in using standard scientific terms and standards. We came close in the 70's to adopting the metric system of measurement and pulled back. Yes: Measured in Centigrade. 
Still...
Guess it doesn't take a rocket scientist to translate terms. But why do we bother doing it? 

And we move even closer to the absolute fact that our climate is changing and that "mankind" has a significant influence in that change. Time to remove this from "Political" debate and allow the science to guide our decisions. Note that the good state of Oregon is suggesting we use less coal to fire our power plants. Good news, and now the state(s) have some responsibility in finding ways to provide jobs and training for those displaced by these changes. 

Yes it would be nice if Global warming wasn't political but when you say Time to remove this from "Political" debate
 That would be great but I don't see how and I doubt it will ever be non political.

Too many people on the right would have to admit they were wrong. Right now they like to see global warming as some stupid hysteria invented by left leaning hippies. It's like the tree hugger nickname.

The fact of the matter is that although the right denies it they are NOT concerned about our environment. They might think they are but they just aren't.
For example ANY time the ESA requires something to be done to protect a species the right is against it.

They want to save species UNLESS it affects humans ability to make money. But this is about almost every single case where the government steps in and enforces the ESA.

I don't understand how ANYONE can say they care about the environment and be a right wing conservative.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Cuzz - 03-03-2016

(03-03-2016, 01:55 PM)chuck white Wrote:
Quote:Earth's temperature soared to a record high last month, a whopping 1.5 degrees above average as measured by weather satellites.

That's a huge amount in climate science, where records are often broken by hundredths or tenths of degrees. The level makes February the most unusually warm month ever recorded, scientists from the University of Alabama at Huntsville (UAH) said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2016/03/02/february-record-warm-month-satellite-data/81205154/

C or F?

Good question.
I looked into it and they report 0.83C which means the 1.5° is F.

Thanks, 1.5F is worrying but 1.5C would have been really concerning. I was guessing it was C because it was a scientific measurement but it was being reported in USAToday so all bets were off.   Big Grin

RE: Record Breaking Weather - chuck white - 03-04-2016

(03-03-2016, 07:01 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

C or F?

Good question.

Thanks, 1.5F is worrying but 1.5C would have been really concerning. I was guessing it was C because it was a scientific measurement but it was being reported in USAToday so all bets were off.   Big Grin

Quote:February marked the biggest atmospheric temperature spike observed, with the monthly reading running 1.5°F above normal, a new record. The measurement is taken by satellites operated by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and other agencies around the world. The record extends back to 1979 and is managed by scientists at the University of Alabama, Huntsville.

[Image: 3_2_16_Brian_FebruarySatelliteTemp_720_397_s_c1_c_c.jpg]

RE: Record Breaking Weather - chuck white - 03-10-2016

Quote:All three airports in the Washington (DC) region have set new record highs on Thursday.

As high pressure spins off the Southeast coast, warm air is being funneled north into the Mid-Atlantic. From the Mid-Atlantic to New England, temperatures are running up to 35 degrees above normal in the nation’s most populous corridor.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/03/10/temperatures-climb-toward-record-highs-for-the-second-day-in-a-row-updates/

RE: Record Breaking Weather - chuck white - 03-12-2016

Thanks for this one cletus1 ,

Quote:Kannur and Kozhikode have seen an all-time record in the maximum temperature for the districts over the past few days.

Kannur breaks record
Kannur registered 39.1 degrees Celsius on Friday, breaking the all-time record of 39 degrees C registered on March 9.
The maximum temperature in Kannur was 38.8 degrees C on February 28, the highest since 2011 when the district experienced a high of 38.5 degrees C.

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/a-gruelling-summer-for-kerala/article8344504.ece

RE: Record Breaking Weather - tvguy - 03-13-2016

(03-12-2016, 06:06 PM)chuck white Wrote: Thanks for this one cletus1 ,

Quote:Kannur and Kozhikode have seen an all-time record in the maximum temperature for the districts over the past few days.

Kannur breaks record
Kannur registered 39.1 degrees Celsius on Friday, breaking the all-time record of 39 degrees C registered on March 9.
The maximum temperature in Kannur was 38.8 degrees C on February 28, the highest since 2011 when the district experienced a high of 38.5 degrees C.

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/a-gruelling-summer-for-kerala/article8344504.ece

38.5 degrees C is 101.84 degrees Fahrenheit...... Stoopid foreigners Razz

RE: Record Breaking Weather - orygunluvr - 03-14-2016

[Image: 12795350_986832931351741_544617898632794...e=5759356B]

RE: Record Breaking Weather - cletus1 - 03-14-2016

C or F?

Good question.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - cletus1 - 03-14-2016

(03-04-2016, 07:09 AM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-03-2016, 04:50 AM)chuck white Wrote: http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2016/03/02/february-record-warm-month-satellite-data/81205154/

C or F?

Good question.

Quote:February marked the biggest atmospheric temperature spike observed, with the monthly reading running 1.5°F above normal, a new record. The measurement is taken by satellites operated by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and other agencies around the world. The record extends back to 1979 and is managed by scientists at the University of Alabama, Huntsville.

[Image: 3_2_16_Brian_FebruarySatelliteTemp_720_397_s_c1_c_c.jpg]

Hey Chuck, check out these similar temperature maps for Feburary 2016. 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2016/03/14/global_warming_took_another_big_jump_in_february_2016.html

RE: Record Breaking Weather - chuck white - 03-14-2016

I'm one who took the statement, "watch the ice" to heart.

http://nsidc.org/data/seaice_index/images/daily_images/N_stddev_timeseries.png

I watch that site closely 

RE: Record Breaking Weather - cletus1 - 03-15-2016

(03-14-2016, 08:20 PM)chuck white Wrote: I'm one who took the statement, "watch the ice" to heart.

Good Morning Chuck. Yesterday I had a conversation with a older local man that speaks English well. He told me that in the past few years they have had more than a few days where the temperature reached 42 C. We occasionally have days like that in the Rogue Valley, but they never do here. 

There isn't the right/left politics about climate here. People just look at trends and it is getting hotter and everyone acknowledges that fact. It seems only in America are there people that think global warming, is not at least partially man made. Idiots!

RE: Record Breaking Weather - tvguy - 03-16-2016

(03-15-2016, 07:59 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(03-14-2016, 08:20 PM)chuck white Wrote: I'm one who took the statement, "watch the ice" to heart.

Good Morning Chuck. Yesterday I had a conversation with a older local man that speaks English well. He told me that in the past few years they have had more than a few days where the temperature reached 42 C. We occasionally have days like that in the Rogue Valley, but they never do here. 

There isn't the right/left politics about climate here. People just look at trends and it is getting hotter and everyone acknowledges that fact. It seems only in America are there people that think global warming, is not at least partially man made. Idiots!

Only in America? So you have talked to people in every other country? Wow you really do get around LOL

RE: Record Breaking Weather - cletus1 - 03-17-2016

(03-16-2016, 12:01 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Only in America? So you have talked to people in every other country? Wow you really do get around LOL

No, I have talked to everyone in every country. And I did not mean that there are not global warming deniers in other countries either. I have surmised that other countries don't have the right / left politics about the issue that Americans do. Go argue with someone on Facebook traitor.  Laughing

RE: Record Breaking Weather - tvguy - 03-17-2016

(03-17-2016, 04:06 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

No, I have talked to everyone in every country. And I did not mean that there are not global warming deniers in other countries either. I have surmised that other countries don't have the right / left politics about the issue that Americans do. Go argue with someone on Facebook traitor.  Laughing

Laughing It's incredible to me that whether or not people believe global warming is happening or if it's human caused is based on whether or not they are a dem or DOP, conservative or liberal.

Or weather or not you want a national monument or not. Or if you have faith in the EPA or not.

OR weather you side with the Bundy's OR weather you think Kate Browns new phase out of coal is good or bad. It goes on and on.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - chuck white - 03-26-2016

Quote:Current rate of carbon release is ten times higher than at any time in the past 66 million years

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/climatechange/current-rate-of-carbon-release/56253759

RE: Record Breaking Weather - cletus1 - 03-26-2016

(03-17-2016, 01:55 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Laughing It's incredible to me that whether or not people believe global warming is happening or if it's human caused is based on whether or not they are a dem or DOP, conservative or liberal.

Or weather or not you want a national monument or not. Or if you have faith in the EPA or not.

OR weather you side with the Bundy's OR weather you think Kate Browns new phase out of coal is good or bad. It goes on and on.
Politics is America's true religion. Everything is viewed through the lens of politics. IMO, it's more insidious on the Republican side because they ignore facts that don't fit into their Fox News and Brietbart view of the world. 

Then there are plenty of know nothing zombies that don't have any political opinions and don't vote. I prefer them to Republicans; at least they don't do harm. 

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Wonky3 - 03-26-2016

It has been said that "ignorance is bliss". I wonder. 
Reasonable people can disagree. It's important that we have a society of reasonable people. 
Donald Trump (and to a lesser degree Ted Cruz) are the "Canaries in the coal mine" of our national awarness that our society has far too many people who can't be seen as reasonable. 
The science is near complete: The climate is changing and mankind has contributed to the amount of cardbon dioxide that is almost certianly warming the planet. 
TVG's comments above that this is above and beyond politcs is true, yet it seems the most unreasonable and uniformed opinons come from one group on our political spectrum. 
But talk is cheap. We are nearing that time when we will choose our next national leaders. Let's do all we can to see that who ever it is, it's a reasonalbe person who respects science and will respond to the danges we face and not to the corporate interests who value profit above all else. 

RE: Record Breaking Weather - cletus1 - 03-26-2016

(03-26-2016, 08:20 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(03-15-2016, 07:59 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Good Morning Chuck. Yesterday I had a conversation with a older local man that speaks English well. He told me that in the past few years they have had more than a few days where the temperature reached 42 C. We occasionally have days like that in the Rogue Valley, but they never do here. 

Reasonable people can disagree. It's important that we have a society of reasonable people. 
Donald Trump (and to a lesser degree Ted Cruz) are the "Canaries in the coal mine" of our national awarness that our society has far too many people who can't be seen as reasonable. 
The science is near complete: The climate is changing and mankind has contributed to the amount of cardbon dioxide that is almost certianly warming the planet. 
TVG's comments above that this is above and beyond politcs is true, yet it seems the most unreasonable and uniformed opinons come from one group on our political spectrum. 
But talk is cheap. We are nearing that time when we will choose our next national leaders. Let's do all we can to see that who ever it is, it's a reasonalbe person who respects science and will respond to the danges we face and not to the corporate interests who value profit above all else. 
Smiling Yup. One side doesn't say much as to what they will do if elected. They only talk about how the other side is wrong. It's purposeful in my opinion. Your ideas can't be challenged or debated if you don't have any. 

RE: Record Breaking Weather - tvguy - 03-26-2016

(03-26-2016, 08:20 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(03-15-2016, 07:59 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Good Morning Chuck. Yesterday I had a conversation with a older local man that speaks English well. He told me that in the past few years they have had more than a few days where the temperature reached 42 C. We occasionally have days like that in the Rogue Valley, but they never do here. 

In a nut shell that means iffin yous gots a brain in yer dome vote for Hillary or the Bern

RE: Record Breaking Weather - chuck white - 03-26-2016

[Image: 9_c365-2-l.jpg]