RogueValleyForum.com
Record Breaking Weather - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Debate (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: National and World News (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Record Breaking Weather (/showthread.php?tid=16187)

RE: Record Breaking Weather - chuck white - 07-29-2016

The great Pig challenge

We're at #7

Google "is Australia drying out"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2691483/Is-Australia-drying-global-warming-Emissions-caused-countrys-devastating-droughts-claim-computer-models.html

Quote:The devastating droughts that are plaguing southern Australia are caused by greenhouse gases and ozone depletion - and they will only get worse.

This is according to a new high-resolution climate model by a U.S. government-based organisation which warns the cause was not due to natural events but man made.

http://origins.osu.edu/article/dry-days-down-under-australia-and-world-water-crisis

Quote:For several years now, Australia, the driest inhabited continent, has been suffering perhaps the worst drought in its recorded history. Amidst disappearing rivers and empty dams, farmers have watched their fields go barren and their livestock perish, while urban dwellers face greater and greater restrictions on water use.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Wonky3 - 07-30-2016

(07-29-2016, 05:16 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-29-2016, 03:12 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(07-29-2016, 01:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-29-2016, 01:01 PM)chuck white Wrote: Pig challenge

#6 google "Species gone extinct as a result of climate change."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/14/first-case-emerges-of-mammal-species-wiped-out-by-human-induced-climate-change

Quote:Human-caused climate change appears to have driven the Great Barrier Reef’s only endemic mammal species into the history books

http://www.endangeredspeciesinternational.org/overview.html
Quote:As unbelievable as it may sound, after having read through the five mass extinctions, the sixth mass extinction is in progress, now, with animals going extinct 100 to 1,000 times (possibly even 1,000 to 10,000 times) faster than at the normal background extinction rate,

the sixth mass extinction is in progress, now, with animals going extinct 100 to 1,000 times (possibly even 1,000 to 10,000 times) faster than at the normal background extinction rate,

Al Gore said as much in a book I read. Yes Wonky I read a book Wink

Way to go! 
But in which book was that? He wrote 11 (I think) and I think at least four of them were about climate. 
But I read a quote almost exactly like that in Elizabeth Kolbert's "The Sixth Extinction"...sure that's not where you read it? 
PS: I've read a several of his books and still think his best might have been "The Assault on Reason". 

PPS: Curious about people like Gore: He is a very wealthy guy and his "carbon footprint" is huge, much larger than morst "working folks" for instance. I always hoped he would write and propose a carbon tax on the wealthy to shift some of the burden to help solve the problem. Didn't hear a peep. 

Whatever: He has "worked in the fields of the Lord" and done his bit to make the world aware of a problem that will almost certainly someday bite us in the ass.
I think it was "an inconvenient truth"

Curious about people like Gore: He is a very wealthy guy and his "carbon footprint" is huge, much larger than most "working folks" for instance. I always hoped he would write and propose a carbon tax on the wealthy to shift some of the burden to help solve the problem. Didn't hear a peep.

Do you know how carbon credits work? I remember he was mocked for lining in a "mansion" in Tennessee.But the area he lives in  was all OLD stately mansions. And he spent a ton of money trying to make it as energy efficient as he could.
He even had to fight the city building codes that tried to proven him from installing supposedly unsightly solar panels.
He won that battle BTW.
Anyway today I think he has some big house on the coast, or he got divorced and lives at the No Vacancy hotel. I'm not sure.
My guess says that he offsets whatever he wastes with Carbon credits.

In addition, comparing Gore’s home to an average house is not really relevant, since at 10,000 square feet, the mansion is hardly an average house. And the newspaper in Nashville, the Tennessean, reported that the Gores — they separated in 2010, but were together at the time — were paying a $432 monthly premium to get some of the electricity from green sources, such as solar power.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/FactCheck_Are_most_violent_criminals_Democrats.html

From Your post above:

Do you know how carbon credits work? I remember he was mocked for lining in a "mansion" in Tennessee.But the area he lives in  was all OLD stately mansions. And he spent a ton of money trying to make it as energy efficient as he could.

He even had to fight the city building codes that tried to proven him from installing supposedly unsightly solar panels.
He won that battle BTW.
Anyway today I think he has some big house on the coast, or he got divorced and lives at the No Vacancy hotel. I'm not sure.

Actually no, I don't know how carbon credits work. Guess I should "study up". 
Still, I stick to my point. Really rich people use more of everything including fossil fuel and other activities that are related to what we are calling climate change. 
So I was suggesting we tax them and use that money to do whatever we can to find solutions. Maybe taxing some really wealthy person on the ridges above Medford would allow you to install a solar unit at your house. 
Just a thought.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - cletus1 - 07-30-2016

While there are droughts in Australia, there are devastating floods in India. Floods in India during the monsoon season is nothing new, but the severity of the floods over the past few years is. One of the symptoms of climate change is more severe and unpredictable weather. 

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/floods-ravage-eastern-india-killing-many/article8922031.ece

RE: Record Breaking Weather - chuck white - 07-30-2016

(07-27-2016, 10:05 PM)capitalist pig Wrote: Yawn. Yawn, simple Google search disproves most of those..  Check your meds before you present your " facts" chuck

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

OH come on Cletus, now the pig is going to ask about your meds.

I have a new avatar for Capitalist pig.
[Image: if-i-only-had-a-brain.gif?w=676]

you're welcome.

(07-30-2016, 07:04 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(07-29-2016, 01:01 PM)chuck white Wrote: Pig challenge

#6 google "Species gone extinct as a result of climate change."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/14/first-case-emerges-of-mammal-species-wiped-out-by-human-induced-climate-change

http://www.endangeredspeciesinternational.org/overview.html

the sixth mass extinction is in progress, now, with animals going extinct 100 to 1,000 times (possibly even 1,000 to 10,000 times) faster than at the normal background extinction rate,

Way to go! 
But in which book was that? He wrote 11 (I think) and I think at least four of them were about climate. 
But I read a quote almost exactly like that in Elizabeth Kolbert's "The Sixth Extinction"...sure that's not where you read it? 
PS: I've read a several of his books and still think his best might have been "The Assault on Reason". 

PPS: Curious about people like Gore: He is a very wealthy guy and his "carbon footprint" is huge, much larger than morst "working folks" for instance. I always hoped he would write and propose a carbon tax on the wealthy to shift some of the burden to help solve the problem. Didn't hear a peep. 

Whatever: He has "worked in the fields of the Lord" and done his bit to make the world aware of a problem that will almost certainly someday bite us in the ass.

Curious about people like Gore: He is a very wealthy guy and his "carbon footprint" is huge, much larger than most "working folks" for instance. I always hoped he would write and propose a carbon tax on the wealthy to shift some of the burden to help solve the problem. Didn't hear a peep.

He won that battle BTW.

In addition, comparing Gore’s home to an average house is not really relevant, since at 10,000 square feet, the mansion is hardly an average house. And the newspaper in Nashville, the Tennessean, reported that the Gores — they separated in 2010, but were together at the time — were paying a $432 monthly premium to get some of the electricity from green sources, such as solar power.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/FactCheck_Are_most_violent_criminals_Democrats.html

From Your post above:

He won that battle BTW.

Still, I stick to my point. Really rich people use more of everything including fossil fuel and other activities that are related to what we are calling climate change. 
So I was suggesting we tax them and use that money to do whatever we can to find solutions. Maybe taxing some really wealthy person on the ridges above Medford would allow you to install a solar unit at your house. 
Just a thought.

Wonk you are posting inside TVguy's quote. Anyway, you're joking about taxing people more in East Medford so solar can be installed elsewhere right? If you are not joking, stop typing, go outside and scream then come back and read it again so that I don't have to tell you what I think about your idea.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - chuck white - 07-30-2016

I found platinum credit
[Image: Platinum_0_card.png]

and I found Gold credit
[Image: gold-card-camping-cheque-300x200.jpg]

of course silver credit

[Image: Silver-Prepaid-MasterCard-Best-Cards.jpg]

Titanium credit
[Image: 11470313.png]

even Oxygen credit
[Image: o2_bankers.jpg?x=648&y=348&crop=1]

Can't find a Carbon Credit anywhere.

(07-30-2016, 07:18 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

Way to go! 

He won that battle BTW.

From Your post above:

He won that battle BTW.

Just a thought.

Wonk you are posting inside TVguy's quote. Anyway, you're joking about taxing people more in East Medford so solar can be installed elsewhere right? If you are not joking, stop typing, go outside and scream then come back and read it again so that I don't have to tell you what I think about your idea.

Posting inside TVGuy's quote? Help me...I go back up and look at my post and I see that I quoted him (and said clearly "from you post above". But I'll take instructions when necessary.

Nope. Not joking. I think the the wealthy have every right to all the material things they can afford. Many of the wealthy actually worked for their money.  Smiling
But there are resources that should not be allotted to wealth alone. Water, electricity, and other things necessary should not be compared to expensive automobiles, frequent cruises, diamond rings, etc. 
So yes, I'd be in favor of taxing these things in an attempt to make "fair use" of those resources. 
Having said as much, this is not something I've given hours of thought to. 
If it's a ridiculous suggestion I'd be glad to hear your rebuttal. In your post above you neglected to explain why you think it's dumb, only that I should go outside and scream until I come to my senses. 
That does not tell me a whole lot about your obvous oppostition to my suggestion.

(07-30-2016, 07:42 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(07-29-2016, 03:12 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Way to go! 

He won that battle BTW.

From Your post above:

He won that battle BTW.

Just a thought.

Posting inside TVGuy's quote? Help me...I go back up and look at my post and I see that I quoted him (and said clearly "from you post above". But I'll take instructions when necessary.

Nope. Not joking. I think the the wealthy have every right to all the material things they can afford. Many of the wealthy actually worked for their money.  Smiling
But there are resources that should not be allotted to wealth alone. Water, electricity, and other things necessary should not be compared to expensive automobiles, frequent cruises, diamond rings, etc. 
So yes, I'd be in favor of taxing these things in an attempt to make "fair use" of those resources. 
If it's a ridiculous suggestion I'd be glad to hear your rebuttal. In your post above you neglected to explain why you think it's dumb, only that I should go outside and scream until I come to my senses. 
That does not tell me a whole lot about your obvous oppostition to my suggestion.

Sorry I was wrong about posting in TV's post. But I think getting your neighbors, that are just a little wealthier than you to pay for solar panels is a bizarre idea. It's not like making the super wealthy pay a fare share of the tax burden and using the money to improve infrastructure and develop green energy.

Anyway, you are moving beyond your original post. So, it is hard to debate your original post and I don't really care to continue because it almost always ends up someplace I don't want to go. Enjoy your day.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - tvguy - 07-30-2016

(07-29-2016, 07:59 PM)Hugo Wrote: Why is it, every time I go to the coast, the water is right where it always has been.  So are the coastal houses.
Hmm.

[Image: 4a58540183f1cc72295cab227d490c6e.jpg]

(07-30-2016, 09:56 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(07-30-2016, 07:42 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(07-29-2016, 05:16 PM)tvguy Wrote: I think it was "an inconvenient truth"

He won that battle BTW.

From Your post above:

He won that battle BTW.

Just a thought.

Sorry I was wrong about posting in TV's post. But I think getting your neighbors, that are just a little wealthier than you to pay for solar panels is a bizarre idea. It's not like making the super wealthy pay a fare share of the tax burden and using the money to improve infrastructure and develop green energy.

Anyway, you are moving beyond your original post. So, it is hard to debate your original post and I don't really care to continue because it almost always ends up someplace I don't want to go. Enjoy your day.
I WILL enjoy my day. Thanks. And I hope your tomatoes ripen to perfection.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Hugo - 07-30-2016

(07-29-2016, 09:53 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(07-29-2016, 09:24 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(07-29-2016, 08:21 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(07-29-2016, 07:59 PM)Hugo Wrote: Why is it, every time I go to the coast, the water is right where it always has been.  So are the coastal houses.
Hmm.

Oh damn! Why didn't anyone else think of that? OK everyone, the coast is clear. We have absolutely nothing to worry about. Thanks Larry!

By God you are a genius and deserve your own "Thanks Larry!" thread.  Laughing

He couldn't say that if he went to coasts of the Solomon and Marshall islands.

Why would he do that? There are dark people there.  Ninja

"RACIST!!"  Dear God you are ignorant. How little you know about me, my family etc, could fill volumes.  So fucking stupid.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - tvguy - 07-30-2016

(07-30-2016, 01:00 PM)Hugo Wrote:
Hmm.

Oh damn! Why didn't anyone else think of that? OK everyone, the coast is clear. We have absolutely nothing to worry about. Thanks Larry!

"RACIST!!"  Dear God you are ignorant. How little you know about me, my family etc, could fill volumes.  So fucking stupid.

I didn't think much of VS's comment either.I don't remember you ever saying anything that made you sound like a racist.

(07-30-2016, 01:00 PM)Hugo Wrote:
Hmm.

I've never know you to make a racist comment. 
Now, if VS were to talk about your almost complete ineptness at actually hitting game you are shooting at... Razz

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Valuesize - 07-30-2016

Geez you guys. I was just trying to raise a little Friday night action.  Laughing It's not MY fault you wait till Saturday....  Big Grin

[Image: cartoon-marlin-smoking-a-cigar-and-reeli...-11650.jpg]

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Hugo - 07-30-2016

(07-30-2016, 01:57 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Geez you guys. I was just trying to raise a little Friday night action.  Laughing It's not MY fault you wait till Saturday....  Big Grin

[Image: cartoon-marlin-smoking-a-cigar-and-reeli...-11650.jpg]

Backpedaling race baiting asshole. Enjoy your weekend.

(07-30-2016, 02:00 PM)Hugo Wrote: Backpedaling race baiting asshole. Enjoy your weekend.

Not backpedaling. I know you have "people of color" in your family. As I posted it I was recalling your late night stirring the pot antics. Believe as you will....

(07-30-2016, 02:05 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(07-30-2016, 02:00 PM)Hugo Wrote: Backpedaling race baiting asshole. Enjoy your weekend.

Not backpedaling. I know you have "people of color" in your family. As I posted it I was recalling your late night stirring the pot antics. Believe as you will....

VS...Need your advice: I come from a long line of redneck hillbillies. Are we "people of color"?

(07-30-2016, 02:28 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(07-30-2016, 02:05 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

VS...Need your advice: I come from a long line of redneck hillbillies. Are we "people of color"?

Some of us are. I used to sit on the porch whittling with my pappy too.  Big Grin

RE: Record Breaking Weather - chuck white - 08-02-2016

Quote:SALT LAKE CITY — The searing summer heat in northern Utah that has wilted plants, made lawns go yellow and led people to blast their air conditioning set a record for the warmest June-July on record, the National Weather Service said Monday.

The average temperature of 80.3 in June and July in Salt Lake City eclipses the record of 79.8 set in 2013, said meteorologist Eric Schoening. Records date back to 1874.

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/scorching-slc-summer-heat-breaks-record/article_46f2891c-1d73-57d0-ab5e-9e8dcb634ce8.html

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Hugo - 08-09-2016

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/08/09/solar-physicist-sees-global-cooling-ahead/

It's a shame when sound science, not coming from a scientist with an agenda, but one actually studying his field, has to see his research maligned by those WITH an agenda.

This is a fascinating article about the cycles of the sun, and how much we DON'T know yet, but are learning.