RogueValleyForum.com
Record Breaking Weather - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Debate (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: National and World News (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Record Breaking Weather (/showthread.php?tid=16187)

RE: Record Breaking Weather - chuck white - 08-27-2016

Wonky totally missed the fact, when he ask "What are we going to do about it?"
I gave him an answer. He totally missed the answer...

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Jeep - 08-27-2016

(08-27-2016, 02:52 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(08-27-2016, 12:53 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I wonder would when you will get that Wonkys going to be Wonky no matter what you say.

I said that a while back. A Wonky by definition is a human being that likes to regulate the dialogue of other human beings. It doesn't bother me much anymore. I expect it; just like I expect Chuck to post one liner jokes that are sometimes funny and other times not.  Big Grin

More like regurgitate.  Big Grin

RE: Record Breaking Weather - tvguy - 08-27-2016

(08-27-2016, 12:53 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I wonder would when you will get that Wonkys going to be Wonky no matter what you say.

Actually he does lay off the disapproval crap for a while but the force is so strong in him it pulls him back.

I might have let this one slide had he not said once AGAIN.....

"But we have been tracking it for only a hundred years or so. "

We have been tracking past temps with THERMOMETERS for the past 166 years but there are many other ways scientists can determine what temps were WAY back.
I've said this exact thing before when he made the exact same comment.

Temperature record  List of weather records

Global mean surface temperature change since 1880. Source: NASA GISS
The temperature record shows the fluctuations of the temperature of the atmosphere and the oceans through various spans of time. The most detailed information exists since 1850, when methodical thermometer-based records began. There are numerous estimates of temperatures since the end of the Pleistocene glaciation, particularly during the current Holocene epoch. Older time periods are studied by paleoclimatology.
Contents

RE: Record Breaking Weather - bbqboy - 08-28-2016

Why is Chuck obligated to provide solutions?

RE: Record Breaking Weather - chuck white - 08-28-2016

(08-28-2016, 09:01 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Why is Chuck obligated to provide solutions?

When one know the answer, one should share it.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Valuesize - 08-28-2016

(08-28-2016, 03:52 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(08-28-2016, 09:01 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Why is Chuck obligated to provide solutions?

And you have many times.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - tvguy - 08-29-2016

(08-28-2016, 03:52 PM)tchuck white Wrote:

Thorium still requires a nuclear power plant. People are afraid of nuclear power.
IMO nuclear power is the answer to alternate ways to produce power other than using fossil fuels. People don't want it. So I doubt people want thorium nuclear power. At least at this time.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Wonky3 - 08-29-2016

(08-29-2016, 02:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Thorium still requires a nuclear power plant. People are afraid of nuclear power.
IMO nuclear power is the answer to alternate ways to produce power other than using fossil fuels. People don't want it. So I doubt people want thorium nuclear power. At least at this time.

The spent fuel from a nuclear reactor has a half life of some thousands of years and remains radioactive. 

Where would you suggest we store it. Your place?

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Valuesize - 08-29-2016

(08-29-2016, 02:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:  Thorium still requires a nuclear power plant. People are afraid of nuclear power.

I didn't see that it requires a nuclear power plant in the video, it said Thorium power plant. Did I miss it?

RE: Record Breaking Weather - chuck white - 08-29-2016

(08-29-2016, 06:12 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(08-29-2016, 02:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:

The spent fuel from a nuclear reactor has a half life of some thousands of years and remains radioactive. 

Where would you suggest we store it. Your place?

Your thinking uranium.
Thorium doesn't have that problem.

Thorium reactors can be used to burn up that pile of waste too.

It is a clean renewable source.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - chuck white - 08-29-2016

Quote: Anchorage's sunny weekend weather set record-high temperatures — including one day by a margin of 7 degrees — after a rainy August.

Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport, where the city's official temperatures are recorded, had back-to-back record highs Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday, the record 69 degrees set on Aug. 27, 1993, gave way to a new high of 72 degrees; on Sunday, the old record for Aug. 28 of 70 degrees, set in 1974, was blitzed by a new high of 77 degrees.

http://www.adn.com/alaska-news/weather/2016/08/29/sundays-heat-blitzed-the-old-anchorage-temperature-record-for-the-date/

RE: Record Breaking Weather - tvguy - 08-30-2016

(08-29-2016, 09:38 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(08-29-2016, 02:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:  Thorium still requires a nuclear power plant. People are afraid of nuclear power.

I didn't see that it requires a nuclear power plant in the video, it said Thorium power plant. Did I miss it?

I looked up Thorium the last time CW was talking about it. This video didn't get in to how it works .

It's the same thing as a nuclear power plant but instead of using uranium they want to use Thorium.
At least that the way I understand it.

I look at this idea the same way I look a hemp products. If it's so fucking great. If it's THE solution then why isn't anyone doing it? In OTHER countries.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - cletus1 - 08-30-2016

(08-30-2016, 08:20 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I looked up Thorium the last time CW was talking about it. This video didn't get in to how it works .

It's the same thing as a nuclear power plant but instead of using uranium they want to use Thorium.

I look at this idea the same way I look a hemp products. If it's so fucking great. If it's THE solution then why isn't anyone doing it? In OTHER countries.
Why aren't there hydrogen fuel cars on our roads? My answer to that question is that there will be. I don't know that it's true but it sounds good. 

I know nothing about thorium so I can't say the same, but obviously the technology just isn't there yet.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - tvguy - 08-30-2016

(08-30-2016, 08:29 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(08-30-2016, 08:20 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Why aren't there hydrogen fuel cars on our roads? My answer to that question is that there will be. I don't know that it's true but it sounds good. 

I know nothing about thorium so I can't say the same, but obviously the technology just isn't there yet.

The hydrogen car thing as far as I know is pie in the shy BS.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - chuck white - 09-01-2016

Quote:Hermine looms as first hurricane to make landfall in Florida in 11 years

I bet that's a record.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/tropical-storm-hermine-to-aim-for-florida-gulf-coast-bring-risk-of-flooding-severe-thunderstorms/59791044

RE: Record Breaking Weather - chuck white - 09-01-2016

(09-01-2016, 09:27 PM)chuck white Wrote:
Quote:Hermine looms as first hurricane to make landfall in Florida in 11 years

I bet that's a record.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/tropical-storm-hermine-to-aim-for-florida-gulf-coast-bring-risk-of-flooding-severe-thunderstorms/59791044

Quote:Hurricane Hermine put an end to the 1,080-day hurricane drought on September 1, 2016.
Before Hermine, the Gulf of Mexico had not had a single hurricane enter or develop in its waters since September 2013.
That streak eclipsed the longest drought on record, dating to 1886.
https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-drought-gulf-of-mexico

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Hugo - 09-05-2016

This shouldn't even be an argument, but the idiots here will do what idiots do...

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/alex-epstein-wrapping-our-minds-around-climate-change

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Wonky3 - 09-05-2016

(09-05-2016, 07:02 PM)Hugo Wrote: This shouldn't even be an argument, but the idiots here will do what idiots do...

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/alex-epstein-wrapping-our-minds-around-climate-change

Wiill someone else do this please. I'm tired.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Cuzz - 09-05-2016

(09-05-2016, 07:19 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-05-2016, 07:02 PM)Hugo Wrote: This shouldn't even be an argument, but the idiots here will do what idiots do...

No. If it's too minor to describe, it ain't worth my time.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - chuck white - 09-05-2016

(09-05-2016, 07:24 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-05-2016, 07:19 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

No. If it's too minor to describe, it ain't worth my time.

Some article written by a layman about how global warming might not be bad, more plants...etc.