RogueValleyForum.com
Record Breaking Weather - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Debate (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: National and World News (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Record Breaking Weather (/showthread.php?tid=16187)

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Cuzz - 07-02-2017

(07-02-2017, 06:10 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-02-2017, 06:01 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(07-02-2017, 01:49 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-01-2017, 07:58 PM)chuck white Wrote:
Quote:Unprecedented temperatures across the Southwest pushed power companies into uncharted territory last week as they shattered records for electricity use.

As people from California to Texas cranked up their air conditioners, at least eight utilities across five states saw electricity use reach all-time highs, meaning they provided more simultaneous power than ever before.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/06/30/unprecedented-heat-southwest-shatters-energy-use-records/440423001/#

Interesting since I often hear anti enviro nay sayers (republicans) that say.....what good is solar power at night.. How ya gonna store all that lectricity??

And here is not only an example of power needed during the day but all-time highs.

The peaks are always in the daytime, both of them. Also, I bet the PNW generators made (are making) a little extra scratch from it.
 Always?  What about when its a cold spell? Isn't the temp the lowest at night? This last winter people were on Facebook crying fowl because their electric bills were double or even tripled.
 Hundreds of them decided PP&L was ripping them off. They were even going to get a lawyer and file a class action suit.
Very few of then knew how to read their bill and almost none knew how to read their meter.

I was shocked at how many people were that stupid. I'm sorry but I'm not going to say ignorant LOL.

What a concept. The people at PP&L decided.. HEY lets rip a bunch of people off by over charging them.
And lets wait till the coldest time of the year Unsure Blink Blink

Well technically the second daily peak might be after dark in the winter evenings. Nighttime load, as much as it might be, lacks the commercial loads and so is less then daytime.

I'll admit I haven't seen any numbers on any of this in many a year so things could have changed. I don't think it has changed that much but I don't have current information.

I won't even talk about the electric bill spat. My bill didn't exhibit any unexpected changes during that time. Anyone that feels they aren't being treated fairly by their utility companies should be talking to the public utility commission. That's what I would do instead of bitching on the internet.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Wonky3 - 07-03-2017

(07-02-2017, 07:17 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(07-02-2017, 01:49 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-01-2017, 07:58 PM)chuck white Wrote: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/06/30/unprecedented-heat-southwest-shatters-energy-use-records/440423001/#

Interesting since I often hear anti enviro nay sayers (republicans) that say.....what good is solar power at night.. How ya gonna store all that lectricity??

And here is not only an example of power needed during the day but all-time highs.

The peaks are always in the daytime, both of them. Also, I bet the PNW generators made (are making) a little extra scratch from it.
 Always?  What about when its a cold spell? Isn't the temp the lowest at night? This last winter people were on Facebook crying fowl because their electric bills were double or even tripled.
 Hundreds of them decided PP&L was ripping them off. They were even going to get a lawyer and file a class action suit.
Very few of then knew how to read their bill and almost none knew how to read their meter.

I was shocked at how many people were that stupid. I'm sorry but I'm not going to say ignorant LOL.

What a concept. The people at PP&L decided.. HEY lets rip a bunch of people off by over charging them.

Well technically the second daily peak might be after dark in the winter evenings. Nighttime load, as much as it might be, lacks the commercial loads and so is less then daytime.

I'll admit I haven't seen any numbers on any of this in many a year so things could have changed. I don't think it has changed that much but I don't have current information.

I won't even talk about the electric bill spat. My bill didn't exhibit any unexpected changes during that time. Anyone that feels they aren't being treated fairly by their utility companies should be talking to the public utility commission. That's what I would do instead of bitching on the internet.
Yep. This gets boiled down to almost an apple/oranges discussion. (Well, not quite: But close). For instance, I heat my house and water with natural gas so my winter elect bill is not ALL that much higher than the rest of the year. (Helps that being older than some rocks, I go to bed not long after dark). 

And yes, the Public Utility Commission is the go-to organization to resolve this issue. 

The fact remains that if you live in the Southwest and need A/C your elect bill is going to hurt. (unless you are on of the 1%).  Even here in The Valley of the Rogue on our days over 100 degrees F. I can image it can be expense for some. (I have lots of oak trees on the south and west side of the house, so only have a split-unit A/C in the bedroom...so don't have huge A/C bills). I have empathy of those who are ill and need A/C during heat waves to remain comfortable. Those elect bills must hurt! 

Still, Chuck's observations are interesting in the context of "Climate Change" vs. "Weather". Whatever, the fact is that recently the summer heat in the Southwest is getting hotter. Will it reach the point where it starts to drive the more affluent population to areas of more moderate weather?

RE: Record Breaking Weather - tvguy - 07-03-2017

(07-03-2017, 07:45 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(07-02-2017, 01:49 PM)tvguy Wrote: Interesting since I often hear anti enviro nay sayers (republicans) that say.....what good is solar power at night.. How ya gonna store all that lectricity??

Yep. This gets boiled down to almost an apple/oranges discussion. (Well, not quite: But close). For instance, I heat my house and water with natural gas so my winter elect bill is not ALL that much higher than the rest of the year. (Helps that being older than some rocks, I go to bed not long after dark). 

And yes, the Public Utility Commission is the go-to organization to resolve this issue. 

The fact remains that if you live in the Southwest and need A/C your elect bill is going to hurt. (unless you are on of the 1%).  Even here in The Valley of the Rogue on our days over 100 degrees F. I can image it can be expense for some. (I have lots of oak trees on the south and west side of the house, so only have a split-unit A/C in the bedroom...so don't have huge A/C bills). I have empathy of those who are ill and need A/C during heat waves to remain comfortable. Those elect bills must hurt! 

Still, Chuck's observations are interesting in the context of "Climate Change" vs. "Weather". Whatever, the fact is that recently the summer heat in the Southwest is getting hotter. Will it reach the point where it starts to drive the more affluent population to areas of more moderate weather?

The fact remains that if you live in the Southwest and need A/C your elect bill is going to hurt.

Pretty much but not necessarily. I'm a firm believer in insulation. A LOT of insulation Big Grin I imagine a lot of people in the south could do a much better job insulating their homes and they will when the high costs of power force them too.

This is my usage history for the last two years. My highest bill was $227.00 and that was in July 2015.
As far a heating to be accurate I have to mention I heat with a pellet stove and even in the coldest months I spend no more that $75 on pellets.
Our bill would be no where near this high if we were not retired and home all the time.
But IMO it's not high at all relative to what I have. I use electricity to pump my own water and during the hot part of summer I have water running to something 24 hours a day. Plus I have a big shop and a hot tub.So I think an average of $160 a month is pretty good for me.

[Image: eAGNkr1rFUEUxW9Wg1FUxCeChRCeYkBltjABJQbE...__.wcssjsf]

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Wonky3 - 07-03-2017

(07-03-2017, 01:39 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-02-2017, 06:01 PM)Cuzz Wrote: The peaks are always in the daytime, both of them. Also, I bet the PNW generators made (are making) a little extra scratch from it.

The fact remains that if you live in the Southwest and need A/C your elect bill is going to hurt.

Pretty much but not necessarily. I'm a firm believer in insulation. A LOT of insulation Big Grin I imagine a lot of people in the south could do a much better job insulating their homes and they will when the high costs of power force them too.

This is my usage history for the last two years. My highest bill was $227.00 and that was in July 2015.
As far a heating to be accurate I have to mention I heat with a pellet stove and even in the coldest months I spend no more that $75 on pellets.
Our bill would be no where near this high if we were not retired and home all the time.
But IMO it's not high at all relative to what I have. I use electricity to pump my own water and during the hot part of summer I have water running to something 24 hours a day. Plus I have a big shop and a hot tub.So I think an average of $160 a month is pretty good for me.

Insulation is overrated. I lived for a year in a quonset hut with NO insulation and the winter temps dropped down to WAY below 0 degrees. I didn't even get frostbite. Thank the gods for blankets and the Great Coat we put on top of them. On second thought: Insulation is GREAT stuff.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Cuzz - 07-03-2017

(07-03-2017, 08:06 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(07-02-2017, 06:10 PM)tvguy Wrote:  Always?  What about when its a cold spell? Isn't the temp the lowest at night? This last winter people were on Facebook crying fowl because their electric bills were double or even tripled.

Insulation is overrated. I lived for a year in a quonset hut with NO insulation and the winter temps dropped down to WAY below 0 degrees. I didn't even get frostbite. Thank the gods for blankets and the Great Coat we put on top of them. On second thought: Insulation is GREAT stuff.

That and the 8.725 Thousand Bazillion BTU heater!   Razz

RE: Record Breaking Weather - tvguy - 07-03-2017

(07-02-2017, 06:10 PM)tvguy Wrote:  Always?  What about when its a cold spell? Isn't the temp the lowest at night? This last winter people were on Facebook crying fowl because their electric bills were double or even tripled.

Quonset hut

Do you realize how many people have no clue what the hell that means? LOL. I have one. It's actually a car port but it's also a quonset hut.
I've used that word and I've seen that deer in the head lights look.... Wwhhhattt?

There should be a thread about words people don't recognize if they are under 30. Like .. "Job" Razz Razz

Here's one visqueen.  Even spell check doesn't know what it is.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - chuck white - 07-04-2017

(07-03-2017, 09:36 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-02-2017, 07:17 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Well technically the second daily peak might be after dark in the winter evenings. Nighttime load, as much as it might be, lacks the commercial loads and so is less then daytime.

Quonset hut

Do you realize how many people have no clue what the hell that means? LOL. I have one. It's actually a car port but it's also a quonset hut.
I've used that word and I've seen that deer in the head lights look.... Wwhhhattt?

There should be a thread about words people don't recognize if they are under 30. Like .. "Job" Razz Razz

probably think it's a cross dresser.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Wonky3 - 07-04-2017

(07-04-2017, 05:35 AM)chuck white Wrote:
(07-03-2017, 07:45 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Yep. This gets boiled down to almost an apple/oranges discussion. (Well, not quite: But close). For instance, I heat my house and water with natural gas so my winter elect bill is not ALL that much higher than the rest of the year. (Helps that being older than some rocks, I go to bed not long after dark). 

Quonset hut

My cousin Luther was a cross dresser and so was his other brother Luther. 

Quonset huts: When I first arrived in Korea I was in a tent. Not bad. Then they moved us into new Quonset huts...an upgrade. But, while they were completely assembled they had neglected to tar the seams and at the first rain we got soaked. They gave us little cans of tar, we build a fire to heat the stuff, and sealed the seams. Worked. 
We had a little tin oil burning stove for the winter, and it was fed by a 50 gal oil drum outside the hut and a rubber feed hose to the stove. When the weather got really cold the oil in the rubber tube froze and the stove was useless. Oh well...they didn't want us to get too soft. 

Boy! That's LOTS more than you wanted to know about quonset huts or anything else. (I was waiting for the ice cubes to be ready and didn't have anything else to do)

RE: Record Breaking Weather - tvguy - 07-04-2017

(07-04-2017, 11:14 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(07-03-2017, 01:39 PM)tvguy Wrote: The fact remains that if you live in the Southwest and need A/C your elect bill is going to hurt.

Quonset hut

Quonset huts: When I first arrived in Korea I was in a tent. Not bad. Then they moved us into new Quonset huts...an upgrade. But, while they were completely assembled they had neglected to tar the seams and at the first rain we got soaked. They gave us little cans of tar, we build a fire to heat the stuff, and sealed the seams. Worked. 
We had a little tin oil burning stove for the winter, and it was fed by a 50 gal oil drum outside the hut and a rubber feed hose to the stove. When the weather got really cold the oil in the rubber tube froze and the stove was useless. Oh well...they didn't want us to get too soft. 

Boy! That's LOTS more than you wanted to know about quonset huts or anything else. (I was waiting for the ice cubes to be ready and didn't have anything else to do)

Well there is the right way and there is the military way. Smiling The quonset hut I have  has never leaked a drop all because of the way the tin is installed.... with an overlap the same you would do with any shingle or any metal roof.

(07-04-2017, 12:49 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-03-2017, 08:06 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Insulation is overrated. I lived for a year in a quonset hut with NO insulation and the winter temps dropped down to WAY below 0 degrees. I didn't even get frostbite. Thank the gods for blankets and the Great Coat we put on top of them. On second thought: Insulation is GREAT stuff.

Quonset hut

Well there is the right way and there is the military way. Smiling  The quonset hut I have  has never leaked a drop all because of the way the tin is installed.... with an overlap the same you would do with any shingle or any metal roof.

Yeah, "indigenous personell" put our together I think.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Cuzz - 07-04-2017

(07-04-2017, 04:00 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(07-03-2017, 09:36 PM)tvguy Wrote: Quonset hut

Well there is the right way and there is the military way. Smiling  The quonset hut I have  has never leaked a drop all because of the way the tin is installed.... with an overlap the same you would do with any shingle or any metal roof.

And they might have known exactly what they were doing!   Laughing

(07-04-2017, 04:32 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(07-04-2017, 04:00 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(07-04-2017, 05:35 AM)chuck white Wrote: probably think it's a cross dresser.

And they might have known exactly what they were doing!   Laughing

Well, they weren't gonna leave it ignorant GI's.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Hugo - 07-06-2017

http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/05/exclusive-study-finds-temperature-adjustments-account-for-nearly-all-of-the-warming-in-climate-data/

Quote:
Quote:Study Finds Temperature Adjustments Account For ‘Nearly All Of The Warming’ In Climate Data

"The conclusive findings of this research are that the three [global average surface temperature] data sets are not a valid representation of reality,” the study found. “In fact, the magnitude of their historical data adjustments, that removed their cyclical temperature patterns, are totally inconsistent with published and credible U.S. and other temperature data.”

Based on these results, the study’s authors claim the science underpinning the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) authority to regulate greenhouse gases “is invalidated.”

https://realclimatescience.com/2017/07/latest-from-the-greenland-meltdown/

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Valuesize - 07-06-2017

(07-06-2017, 09:33 AM)Hugo Wrote: http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/05/exclusive-study-finds-temperature-adjustments-account-for-nearly-all-of-the-warming-in-climate-data/

Quote:
Quote:Study Finds Temperature Adjustments Account For ‘Nearly All Of The Warming’ In Climate Data

"The conclusive findings of this research are that the three [global average surface temperature] data sets are not a valid representation of reality,” the study found. “In fact, the magnitude of their historical data adjustments, that removed their cyclical temperature patterns, are totally inconsistent with published and credible U.S. and other temperature data.”

Based on these results, the study’s authors claim the science underpinning the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) authority to regulate greenhouse gases “is invalidated.”

Do you know who writes the BS you are duped by or is it you just don't care?  Laughing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Goddard

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Cuzz - 07-06-2017

(07-06-2017, 09:47 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(07-06-2017, 09:33 AM)Hugo Wrote: http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/05/exclusive-study-finds-temperature-adjustments-account-for-nearly-all-of-the-warming-in-climate-data/

Quote:

Do you know who writes the BS you are duped by or is it you just don't care?  Laughing

Let's see here... the "scientists" conduct a scientific study which they then, switching to their political alter-egos, use to "prove" their political agenda. Sure I'll buy that! Why wouldn't I?

/sarc   Wink

Isn't it great that you get to PICK which "scientist" you want to believe?   Laughing

Duped?  I believe all of you alarmists are exactly that.

Quote:

You fuckiing idiot, didn't even read the first link, did you?

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Valuesize - 07-06-2017

(07-06-2017, 10:08 AM)Hugo Wrote:

Quote:

You fuckiing idiot, didn't even read the first link, did you?

No, I didn't.  Big Grin I read what I assumed you C&P from the blogger.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - Cuzz - 07-06-2017

(07-06-2017, 10:05 AM)Hugo Wrote: Isn't it great that you get to PICK which "scientist" you want to believe?   Laughing

Generally no, if their credentials are genuine. But that just doesn't pass the smell test. I'd look for another.

RE: Record Breaking Weather - tvguy - 07-06-2017

(07-06-2017, 10:05 AM)Hugo Wrote: Isn't it great that you get to PICK which "scientist" you want to believe?   Laughing

You don't have to be a genius to simply pick the over whelming majority of scientists.

But then if it's a political issue with you then all logic goes out the window.

You people remind me of the OJ jury.