RogueValleyForum.com
Music - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Music (/showthread.php?tid=1626)

RE: Music - Juniper - 06-24-2019

(06-24-2019, 02:30 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 08:00 AM)GCG Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 07:36 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 07:08 AM)GCG Wrote: As to bad voices that I can't listen to... I could never understand the hype behind Bono. I think his singing sucks. Bruce Springsteen has an awful singing voice. The guy from the Red Hot Chili Peppers is hard to listen to. Geddy Lee of Rush. Dave Matthews. Of all of the above, Matthews popularity is the toughest to understand. Because his music sucks even more than his voice. Oh yeah... put Simon LeBon on the list too. Bad voice, bad music.

I think I'd need to know whose voice you think is a good voice?  I like Springsteen, Matthews, and Bono.  The red hot chile's peppers guy voice is distinctive, it doesn't bother me. I'm guessing with your line up, you may also dislike Dylan?

What's interesting is to Google search worse voices in Rock. A lot of your choices show up!

I think Steve Perry's voice was great. Pat Benatar should be in the R&R HOF. Debbie Harry, Steve Tyler, Chris Cornell, Linda Ronstadt... those are my favorite voices. I scrolled thru the song list on my phone for those. I forgot to mention Ronnie Van Zant on the worst list. I like a lot of Lynyrd Skynrd songs but he could not sing a lick. I think that taste in voices is highly personal. I was a huge Springsteen fan back before he started wearing his politics on his sleeve. I still like his older music. I like some Chili Peppers stuff a well. Tom Petty is one with a very distinctive voice. I like it but I can see where many might not. Dylan never did it for me... never been a fan. Going back to 60s stuff... Frankie Valli's voice really stands out for me. I like his voice more than his songs.

I forgot to mention Ronnie Van Zant on the worst list. I like a lot of Lynyrd Skynrd songs but he could not sing a lick
That one I disagree with sort of. He definitely doesn't have a crooners voice but for me it worked perfectly  with a tough rock band. I love Lynyrd Skynrd. I have their documentary saved on my video recorded list. I often fast forward to the part where they were opening for the WHO and the crowd went fucking crazy. Normally three lead guitars doesn't work. It sure did for them.

Bob Dylan's songs and composition were too good to even worry about his voice, His song "Don't Think Twice It's All Right" Is one of mu favorites.
Speaking of Dylan I'm a huge fan his Mentor Dave Van Ronk. 

I love this one but I'm sure it's not for everyone.. Cocaine Blues was probably a bigger hit.

[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/754sRFIHIrA [/video]

I don't have a problem with Van Zandt's voice.  Van Ronk either. Adds character.  But some people like a smooth, well disciplined voice. I can go with a variety.

RE: Music - GCG - 06-24-2019

(06-24-2019, 01:30 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 07:08 AM)GCG Wrote: As to bad voices that I can't listen to... I could never understand the hype behind Bono. I think his singing sucks. Bruce Springsteen has an awful singing voice. The guy from the Red Hot Chili Peppers is hard to listen to. Geddy Lee of Rush. Dave Matthews. Of all of the above, Matthews popularity is the toughest to understand. Because his music sucks even more than his voice. Oh yeah... put Simon LeBon on the list too. Bad voice, bad music.

I think I'd need to know whose voice you think is a good voice?  I like Springsteen, Matthews, and Bono.  The red hot chile's peppers guy voice is distinctive, it doesn't bother me. I'm guessing with your line up, you may also dislike Dylan?

What's interesting is to Google search worse voices in Rock. A lot of your choices show up!

I think Steve Perry's voice was great. Pat Benatar should be in the R&R HOF. Debbie Harry, Steve Tyler, Chris Cornell, Linda Ronstadt... those are my favorite voices. I scrolled thru the song list on my phone for those. I forgot to mention Ronnie Van Zant on the worst list. I like a lot of Lynyrd Skynrd songs but he could not sing a lick. I think that taste in voices is highly personal. I was a huge Springsteen fan back before he started wearing his politics on his sleeve. I still like his older music. I like some Chili Peppers stuff a well. Tom Petty is one with a very distinctive voice. I like it but I can see where many might not. Dylan never did it for me... never been a fan. Going back to 60s stuff... Frankie Valli's voice really stands out for me. I like his voice more than his songs.

Most of those you listed as liking are 5 star names. I appreciate a good voice. But I don't HAVE to have it. I like unique voices. For 5 star singing power names I'd put Annie  Lennox and KD Lang, Freddie Mercury, Steven Tyler and Robert Plant, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin who had a great blues voice, Amy Winehouse, Grace Slick, Eddie Vedder, . But for me, just because they have a "good" voice doesn't necessarily mean I prefer them.  It depends on what they are doing and singing. Great Balladeers need to be able to show off their voices, but rock and roll may not.  I often like - or dislike the different and unusual voices.  Mercury may have the pipes but it doesn't mean his voice gives me pleasure necessarily. I like Bowies voice..I've heard people say they hate Willie Nelson's voice, I can see  how it would do that. I think Lou Reed too, but I like Lou Reed.
Lennox and Lang both have great voices that I enjoy the sound of. I'm a big fan of Led Zep and I know everyone loves Plant's voice... but I don't. Mercury has arguably one of the greatest voices in R&R history... but I don't much like it or Queen for that matter.

RE: Music - tvguy - 06-24-2019

As far as great voices I would have to add Patsy Cline, Mama Cass,  Karen Carpenter.

James Taylor,Boy George,  Dean Martin.. and  Frank LOl Eric burdon and Van Morrison.

I think Van Morrison didn't have the greatest voice but he was just masterful at how he used it. Kind of like Jagger.

(06-24-2019, 02:35 PM)GCG Wrote:

Most of those you listed as liking are 5 star names. I appreciate a good voice. But I don't HAVE to have it. I like unique voices. For 5 star singing power names I'd put Annie  Lennox and KD Lang, Freddie Mercury, Steven Tyler and Robert Plant, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin who had a great blues voice, Amy Winehouse, Grace Slick, Eddie Vedder, . But for me, just because they have a "good" voice doesn't necessarily mean I prefer them.  It depends on what they are doing and singing. Great Balladeers need to be able to show off their voices, but rock and roll may not.  I often like - or dislike the different and unusual voices.  Mercury may have the pipes but it doesn't mean his voice gives me pleasure necessarily. I like Bowies voice..I've heard people say they hate Willie Nelson's voice, I can see  how it would do that. I think Lou Reed too, but I like Lou Reed.
Lennox and Lang both have great voices that I enjoy the sound of. I'm a big fan of Led Zep and I know everyone loves Plant's voice... but I don't. Mercury has arguably one of the greatest voices in R&R history... but I don't much like it or Queen for that matter.
Exactly. Just because I know someone has a great voice doesn't mean I have to love it. And I've never been a big Queen fan either.

(06-24-2019, 02:40 PM)tvguy Wrote: As far as great voices I would have to add Patsy Cline, Mama Cass,  Karen Carpenter.

James Taylor,Boy George,  Dean Martin.. and  Frank LOl Eric burdon and Van Morrison.

I think Van Morrison didn't have the greatest voice but he was just masterful at how he used it. Kind of like Jagger.

Yes, and yes, to all those.  James Taylor has a nice voice I think, maybe not a great one.  Van Morrison is great but I think it's just him. He just sounds like him.

I never really liked Joni Mitchell's voice.

(06-24-2019, 02:35 PM)GCG Wrote:

I'm a big fan of Led Zep

Me too. IMO  the rolling stones is the greatest rock band ever and Led Zeppelin is next LOL. Even though the Beatles should be number 2

(06-24-2019, 02:43 PM)Juniper Wrote: I never really liked Joni Mitchell's voice.
She was bad ass, fearless IMO. A lot of women worshiped her.She had her OWN style that's what I like.

(06-24-2019, 02:42 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 02:40 PM)tvguy Wrote: As far as great voices I would have to add Patsy Cline, Mama Cass,  Karen Carpenter.

Yes, and yes, to all those.  James Taylor has a nice voice I think, maybe not a great one.  Van Morrison is great but I think it's just him. He just sounds like him.

To me James Talor's voice is as smooth as honey. Or was.

(06-24-2019, 02:45 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 02:43 PM)Juniper Wrote: I never really liked Joni Mitchell's voice.
She was bad ass, fearless IMO. A lot of women worshiped her.She had her OWN style that's what I like.

She was a brilliant song writer.

(06-24-2019, 02:50 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 02:45 PM)tvguy Wrote:

She was a brilliant song writer.

Yep, I agree

RE: Music - GCG - 06-24-2019

My son had me check this out. Modern blues guy, Gary Clark Jr.

(06-24-2019, 04:34 PM)GCG Wrote: My son had me check this out. Modern blues guy, Gary Clark Jr.

He's got my vote...ear...listen...whatever.. I do like good blues

(06-24-2019, 04:34 PM)GCG Wrote: My son had me check this out. Modern blues guy, Gary Clark Jr.

He's awesome.That guitar style , My first thought... the rhythm chords totally reminds me of queens of the stone age.  I love this song and that sound.

(06-24-2019, 08:10 PM)tvguy Wrote:

He's awesome.That guitar style , My first thought... the rhythm chords totally reminds me of queens of the stone age.  I love this song and that sound.

Yep!

RE: Music - GCG - 06-25-2019

(06-24-2019, 09:20 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Yep!

Little trivia for you. The drummer in this Queens of the Stone Age video is Dave Grohl. He is the front man and founder of Foo Fighters. He was also was the drummer for Nirvana from 1990 until Cobain died. He formed the Foo Fighters at some point after that by being the only member and writing all of the music and playing every instrument on the first album. He added other band members over time. Huge respect for him. I also love this song. However, the lead singer of Queens, Josh Homme, has some well documented anger issues.

RE: Music - Juniper - 06-25-2019

(06-25-2019, 12:03 AM)GCG Wrote:

Yep!

Little trivia for you. The drummer in this Queens of the Stone Age video is Dave Grohl. He is the front man and founder of Foo Fighters. He was also was the drummer for Nirvana from 1990 until Cobain died. He formed the Foo Fighters at some point after that by being the only member and writing all of the music and playing every instrument on the first album. He added other band members over time. Huge respect for him. I also love this song. However, the lead singer of Queens, Josh Homme, has some well documented anger issues.

Well, yeah, he got beat up by a deer! I might have anger issues too!

RE: Music - GCG - 06-25-2019

(06-25-2019, 06:29 AM)Juniper Wrote:

Yep!

I never heard that story. I did read about this one: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/josh-homme-truly-sorry-for-kicking-photographer-onstage-204961/

“Last night at a Queens of the Stone Age performance, I kicked the camera of a photographer, and that camera hit the photographer in the face, and the photographer’s name was Chelsea Lauren,”

At first he said he thought it was just some lighting equipment. He later admitted it was intentional and apologized. He's been in a few other minor altercations. Now I need to go and check into this deer story! 

edit... now I get it... I've never watched the video to the end.

RE: Music - Juniper - 06-25-2019

(06-25-2019, 06:49 AM)GCG Wrote:
(06-25-2019, 06:29 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 08:10 PM)tvguy Wrote: He's awesome.That guitar style , My first thought... the rhythm chords totally reminds me of queens of the stone age.  I love this song and that sound.

Yep!

I never heard that story. I did read about this one: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/josh-homme-truly-sorry-for-kicking-photographer-onstage-204961/

“Last night at a Queens of the Stone Age performance, I kicked the camera of a photographer, and that camera hit the photographer in the face, and the photographer’s name was Chelsea Lauren,”

At first he said he thought it was just some lighting equipment. He later admitted it was intentional and apologized. He's been in a few other minor altercations. Now I need to go and check into this deer story! 

edit... now I get it... I've never watched the video to the end.

Oh, darn.  I was waiting with bated breath! Big Grin

RE: Music - tvguy - 06-25-2019

Yep!

Very cool.