RogueValleyForum.com
Music - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Music (/showthread.php?tid=1626)

RE: Music - Valuesize - 08-08-2015

(08-08-2015, 08:29 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Whatever floats your boat. In Texas they say, "all hat and no cattle". I think this is all production and no music. But I'm sure you will think me a Pat Boone fan (anyone else remember who he was) and think I'm just too damn old to appreciate real art. Maybe. But since you put it out there, I thought I'd comment. I did. 

IMO this is posted more for its lyrical content than its music. Thanks for posting it Clete.....  Cool

[Image: clipart-scales-of-justice-4e53.png]

RE: Music - Wonky3 - 08-08-2015

(08-08-2015, 09:32 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(08-08-2015, 08:29 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Whatever floats your boat. In Texas they say, "all hat and no cattle". I think this is all production and no music. But I'm sure you will think me a Pat Boone fan (anyone else remember who he was) and think I'm just too damn old to appreciate real art. Maybe. But since you put it out there, I thought I'd comment. I did. 

IMO this is posted more for its lyrical content than its music. Thanks for posting it Clete.....  Cool

Lyrical content works. I'm not fond of the lyrics either, but it was ONLY my opinion and didn't mean to unbalance the scales of artistic justice.  Smiling

RE: Music - tvguy - 08-08-2015

(08-08-2015, 08:29 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(08-08-2015, 08:05 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
Whatever floats your boat. In Texas they say, "all hat and no cattle". I think this is all production and no music. But I'm sure you will think me a Pat Boone fan (anyone else remember who he was) and think I'm just too damn old to appreciate real art. Maybe. But since you put it out there, I thought I'd comment. I did. 

You're real polite Wonky. I say it's computerized synthesized shit that posers pretend they like because they think it makes them look cool and new age.
 People who actually had talent used to be the ones who sold their music.Now a lot of it's( like this) a joke.

(08-08-2015, 09:32 AM)Valuesize Wrote:

It's on a thread about "MUSIC"

(08-08-2015, 12:00 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Whatever floats your boat. In Texas they say, "all hat and no cattle". I think this is all production and no music. But I'm sure you will think me a Pat Boone fan (anyone else remember who he was) and think I'm just too damn old to appreciate real art. Maybe. But since you put it out there, I thought I'd comment. I did. 

You're real polite Wonky. I say it's computerized synthesized shit that posers pretend they like because they think it makes them look cool and new age.
 People who actually had talent used to be the ones who sold their music.Now a lot of it's( like this) a joke.
Well, I don't really like it, but understand tastes vary and I don't think I'll join you in that "review".  Big Grin 

I really like Stings "Every Breath You Take" and see it not as a love song but as a political suggesting that "I'll be watching you" has more to do will all the cameras scattered around England. So lyrics can be all important in music...but I like some traditional cords along with the lyric. 

RE: Music - Scrapper - 08-08-2015

RE: Music - Scrapper - 08-08-2015

Holy crapola!  Check out this 10 year old kid!  Thumbs Up
Sorry, couldn't get the embedded video to work.  Just click this link... it's from Facebook.  

https://video.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xfp1/v/t43.1792-2/11786404_1033517093355565_785078893_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjE1MDAsInJsYSI6NDA5Nn0%3D&rl=1500&vabr=882&oh=01e9b30a40d31f81b42a00a02f12df2f&oe=55C67FB5

(08-08-2015, 12:18 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Well, I don't really like it, but understand tastes vary and I don't think I'll join you in that "review".  Big Grin 

I really like Stings "Every Breath You Take" and see it not as a love song but as a political suggesting that "I'll be watching you" has more to do will all the cameras scattered around England. So lyrics can be all important in music...but I like some traditional cords along with the lyric. 

I never thought about what that song meant....

Origins and songwriting

The lyrics are the words of a possessive lover who is watching "every breath you take; every move you make".

Quote:I woke up in the middle of the night with that line in my head, sat down at the piano and had written it in half an hour. The tune itself is generic, an aggregate of hundreds of others, but the words are interesting. It sounds like a comforting love song. I didn't realize at the time how sinister it is. I think I was thinking of Big Brother, surveillance and control.
Sting[8]
Sting later said he was disconcerted by how many people think the song is more positive than it is. He insists it's about the obsession with a lost lover, and the jealousy and surveillance that follow. "One couple told me 'Oh we love that song; it was the main song played at our wedding!' I thought, 'Well, good luck.'"[9] When asked why he appears angry in the music video Sting told BBC Radio 2, "I think the song is very, very sinister and ugly and people have actually misinterpreted it as being a gentle little love song, when it's quite the opposite."[10]

BTW my take on that music I called shit wasn't meant to be toward Cletus at all.

(08-08-2015, 01:39 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-08-2015, 12:18 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I never thought about what that song meant....

Origins and songwriting

The lyrics are the words of a possessive lover who is watching "every breath you take; every move you make".

Quote:I woke up in the middle of the night with that line in my head, sat down at the piano and had written it in half an hour. The tune itself is generic, an aggregate of hundreds of others, but the words are interesting. It sounds like a comforting love song. I didn't realize at the time how sinister it is. I think I was thinking of Big Brother, surveillance and control.
Sting[8]
Sting later said he was disconcerted by how many people think the song is more positive than it is. He insists it's about the obsession with a lost lover, and the jealousy and surveillance that follow. "One couple told me 'Oh we love that song; it was the main song played at our wedding!' I thought, 'Well, good luck.'"[9] When asked why he appears angry in the music video Sting told BBC Radio 2, "I think the song is very, very sinister and ugly and people have actually misinterpreted it as being a gentle little love song, when it's quite the opposite."[10]

BTW my take on that music I called shit wasn't meant to be toward Cletus at all.

Good to know! Because while we all know Clete's taste in music is for the shits  Razz Razz , he is an all around standup guy who does pretty good work for a guy with a 7th grade eduction.  Laughing Laughing

RE: Music - Valuesize - 08-17-2015

This song made me think of Clone. This is for you Clone if you're still checking in.  Big Grin

RE: Music - Scrapper - 08-17-2015

(08-17-2015, 08:31 PM)Valuesize Wrote: This song made me think of Clone. This is for you Clone if you're still checking in.  Big Grin

Spot. On. [THUMBS UP SIGN]
Clone would love that!
Thank you. Made my eyeball squirt... and made me smile... just imagining her listening and dancing to this. [PURPLE HEART]

RE: Music - cletus1 - 08-23-2015

Holy shit! I can post on the music topic again. Praise God.

RE: Music - Valuesize - 08-23-2015

A song from Saving Grace I thought was cool. I've never heard of Antony and the Johnsons till now.  Sad

RE: Music - cletus1 - 08-25-2015

(08-23-2015, 10:01 PM)Valuesize Wrote: A song from Saving Grace I thought was cool. I've never heard of Antony and the Johnsons till now.  Sad

Sweeeeeeeet 

RE: Music - Wonky3 - 08-26-2015

(08-25-2015, 01:39 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

Strange thing about music. (But maybe not as strange as the Duck Bill Platypus). I mean, why we are attracted to, and then learn, to really enjoy certain "types" of music while not liking other "styles" at all? And of course this applies to all kinds of other things too, but since we are talking about music here...

I wonder if it would be over the top to sometimes include a sentence or two following the posts of music, and especially music videos? The above music video, for instance does not "move me" in any real way: I don't not like it, It just does seem very special to me in any way. Yet, I'm sure Clete enjoys it or he would not have posted it. I'd be curious to know what it is he finds special about it. 

Or maybe my suggestion is just so much BS. Maybe we either simply like it or we don't. 

One reason I'm curious about this is that in the past I've heard stuff I didn't really didn't  like very much but because I was exposed to it (say by a friend who listened to it when I was with her) I not only learned to like it but it became something I really enjoyed and sometimes treasured. An example: I just never enjoyed any kind of Jazz. Then, years ago went with a friend to The Blackhawk in SF to hear Dave Brubeck and liked it. Not in love with it, but opened me up to jazz at least a bit. Later I fell onto what I guess one would call "soft jazz" and now am a huge fan of Diana Krall, Joe Pass, Miles Davis and "Bird". (But I'd guess I listen to Jazz ply about 20% of the time )

Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there for what it's worth. Maybe I'll post a song/video and try to explain what it is that attracts me to it and why I listen to it often. (Bet you just can't wait  Wink ) 

PS: Mostly this post is to satisfy Clete's need to read longer posts. He sends me telegrams all the time begging me to write longer posts and even went so far as giving me his mailing address and asking if maybe I could send long letters.  Laughing

Okay. A promised (throated) a few words about this video/song. 

I like it because it's such a great example of a "mood shifter" for me. No matter what my internal goings-on, this song resets me. First the tempo, then the mood, and of course the poetry of the lyrics. And the lyrics here are (IMHO) really poetry because we can read into them what we will. "The wind in the trees are speaking in tongues": We have all hear the wind in the trees: We can hear from that what we want. 
And then there is the really great harmonica in the background that I think "makes" this cut. 
And, I really enjoy harmony. The background singers in this add a richness that makes it special for me. 

And...we get to see the arc of Cohen's life (so far) in this video. Because I enjoy his work, I enjoy this. 

(Strange that the end of the video is blank. Does not bother me as the song continues)

Whatever: An example (however poor) of what I wanted to express in the reply to Clete's post. 

[video=youtube]http:/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlwVu9_IvjM[/video]

RE: Music - cletus1 - 08-26-2015

You sure do like Lenny, huh Wonk? I like him as a song writer much more than I like his singing voice.

(08-26-2015, 12:09 PM)cletus1 Wrote: You sure do like Lenny, huh Wonk? I like him as a song writer much more than I like his singing voice.

OMG yes! But, his voice is, I think, is suited for the kind of lyrics he writes. Kind of like Bob Dylan who wrote (writes?) great stuff and does not have a great voice box under his chin. 

I'm a Kirs Kristofferson fan too: another guy who can't sing for sour apples, but has penned some pretty good lines. ("She with the rings on her fingers and time on her hands") 

As I mentioned in a previous post, music is SO very subjective! And too, I'm 78 years old and that plays a part: Guys my age never learned to really appreciate the "Smashing Pumpkins" let alone the "Sex Pistols". (But I did finally stop listening to Al Jolson.  Smiling

Whatever: Cant' imagine life without music. 

PS: TVg picks a pretty fair gee-tar. Wish he could get someone to video him playing and post it. Maybe not...that SOB would charge us.  Laughing