RogueValleyForum.com
The Case for Drinking as Much Coffee as You Like Every reason to justify it - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Debate (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: The Case for Drinking as Much Coffee as You Like Every reason to justify it (/showthread.php?tid=16954)

Pages: 1 2

The Case for Drinking as Much Coffee as You Like Every reason to justify it - tornado - 10-26-2014

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/11/the-case-for-drinking-as-much-coffee-as-you-like/265693/

"What I tell patients is, if you like coffee, go ahead and drink as much as you want and can," says Dr. Peter Martin, director of the Institute for Coffee Studies at Vanderbilt University. He's even developed a metric for monitoring your dosage: If you are having trouble sleeping, cut back on your last cup of the day. From there, he says, "If you drink that much, it's not going to do you any harm, and it might actually help you. A lot." Big Grin

RE: The Case for Drinking as Much Coffee as You Like Every reason to justify it - tvguy - 10-26-2014

(10-26-2014, 10:26 AM)tornado Wrote: http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/11/the-case-for-drinking-as-much-coffee-as-you-like/265693/

"What I tell patients is, if you like coffee, go ahead and drink as much as you want and can," says Dr. Peter Martin, director of the Institute for Coffee Studies at Vanderbilt University. He's even developed a metric for monitoring your dosage: If you are having trouble sleeping, cut back on your last cup of the day. From there, he says, "If you drink that much, it's not going to do you any harm, and it might actually help you. A lot." Big Grin

If you are having trouble sleeping, cut back on your last cup of the day

OMG the doctor is a GENIUS, who could have EVER thought of that brilliant response.LaughingRazz

I drink one or two cups in the morn. What I remember from working with older guys who sipped coffee all day long.... The also pissed all day long. And it also seemed to me that they were never WARM enough.

RE: The Case for Drinking as Much Coffee as You Like Every reason to justify it - Wonky3 - 10-26-2014

(10-26-2014, 12:15 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-26-2014, 10:26 AM)tornado Wrote: http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/11/the-case-for-drinking-as-much-coffee-as-you-like/265693/

OMG the doctor is a GENIUS, who could have EVER thought of that brilliant response.LaughingRazz

I drink one or two cups in the morn. What I remember from working with older guys who sipped coffee all day long.... The also pissed all day long. And it also seemed to me that they were never WARM enough.

Do they make a device that allows you to stick a tube in vein and have coffee all the time, 24/7.
I'd buy it.

RE: The Case for Drinking as Much Coffee as You Like Every reason to justify it - tornado - 10-26-2014

(10-26-2014, 12:35 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Do they make a device that allows you to stick a tube in vein and have coffee all the time, 24/7.
I'd buy it.
[Image: intravenous_coffee_baseball_jersey.jpg?c...=460&qv=90]

RE: The Case for Drinking as Much Coffee as You Like Every reason to justify it - Wonky3 - 10-26-2014

(10-26-2014, 01:44 PM)tornado Wrote:
(10-26-2014, 12:35 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I'd buy it.
[Image: intravenous_coffee_baseball_jersey.jpg?c...=460&qv=90]

Great idea.

RE: The Case for Drinking as Much Coffee as You Like Every reason to justify it - Big Rock - 10-27-2014

Quote:Too much coffee may result in ‘caffeine intoxication’ but specific risks and benefits are still up for debate

It is possible to die from too much caffeine—if you drank 14,000 milligrams or around 140 8-ounce cups of coffee in one day
By
Heidi Mitchell
Oct. 27, 2014 1:55 p.m. ET

“Caffeine intoxication” became official in the medical community when the “Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders,” known as DSM-5, added the diagnosis last year.
So do cappuccino lovers need to worry about limiting their consumption?
One expert, Matthew Johnson, associate professor in the department of psychiatry at Johns Hopkins University, explains how caffeine works in the body and when to cut back.
Caffeine works by blocking adenosine, a neuromodulator in the brain that puts the brakes on excitatory neurotransmitters like dopamine and norepinephrine. “Caffeine allows these stimulating chemicals to flow, which can have a rousing effect, even at very low doses,” says Dr. Johnson, a psychopharmacologist who studies the influence of drugs on behavior and mood.
Some people will get edgy from a weak cup of tea. For others, a double espresso is required to get them into the shower in the morning.
Most coffee drinkers are familiar with at least some symptoms of overindulging—nervousness, excitement, insomnia, rambling thoughts. But a large majority of people who consume caffeine don’t experience severe consequences, Dr. Johnson says.
There are some case reports of students experiencing major anxiety after drinking a dozen cups of coffee, Dr. Johnson says. But overdosing would be difficult, “unless folks took multiple caffeine pills or drank many cans of energy drinks” such as Red Bull.
It is possible for a person to die from too much caffeine, “but that would mean about 14,000 milligrams, or around 140 8-ounce cups of coffee in one day,” Dr. Johnson says. Consuming that much would be difficult because of coffee’s self-limiting nature. “One cup makes you feel good and alert, but five cups may make you feel like your stomach is cramping,” he says. “You feel wired and you wouldn’t typically be able to go overboard.”
While clinicians may observe benefits and risks of caffeine intake, the effects are still being debated in academic circles, Dr. Johnson says. “The evidence that unfiltered coffee increases LDL cholesterol levels is convincing,” he says, referring to the “bad” type of cholesterol. “But it’s the mortality studies that count the most,” he says.
One study suggests mortality benefits at up to six cups of coffee a day, Dr. Johnson says. Another suggested mortality risks in people under 55 who drink more than four cups a day. As a result, “I would be hesitant to say that we’ve reached any final answer,” he says.
Current research into depression has looked closely at glutamate, one of the neurotransmitters affected by caffeine, Dr. Johnson says. “In a recent study, those who drank two to four cups of caffeinated coffee had fewer depressive symptoms, and the opposite was true for those who lowered their intake,” he says. That doesn’t mean depressed patients would benefit from a steady diet of triple lattes. “If a patient is depressed and predisposed to panic attacks, for example, caffeine might make the condition worse,” he says.
The most convincing evidence indicates you’re probably not at risk for major side effects if you consume up to about four 8-ounce cups of filtered coffee, or around 400mg, early in the day, Dr. Johnson says. “If you’re drinking under four cups a day and not having any side effects, then you’re probably OK,” he says.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/too-much-coffee-may-result-in-caffeine-intoxication-but-specific-risks-and-benefits-are-still-up-for-debate-1414432501?mod=trending_now_2

RE: The Case for Drinking as Much Coffee as You Like Every reason to justify it - Tiamat - 10-27-2014

Does anyone here really give a sh*te how much coffee they are consuming in a day? I just wonder.

RE: The Case for Drinking as Much Coffee as You Like Every reason to justify it - Valuesize - 10-27-2014

(10-27-2014, 08:51 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Does anyone here really give a sh*te how much coffee they are consuming in a day? I just wonder.

Yes. I limit my intake so I will never "need" to drink it to function.

RE: The Case for Drinking as Much Coffee as You Like Every reason to justify it - Wonky3 - 10-27-2014

(10-27-2014, 08:51 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Does anyone here really give a sh*te how much coffee they are consuming in a day? I just wonder.

Well yeah, sometimes.
During the latter part of my working life I worked in a 24/7 operations office and we drank LOTS of coffee. There were times when we worked long hours and then drank far too much coffee. It always ended with what we called "the whips and jingles" and then a crash. Sadly we never learned and repeated it all too often.

So, yes, I think there are times when we should "give a sh*ite" about how much coffee we are drinking.

RE: The Case for Drinking as Much Coffee as You Like Every reason to justify it - Tiamat - 10-27-2014

(10-27-2014, 09:12 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Well yeah, sometimes.
During the latter part of my working life I worked in a 24/7 operations office and we drank LOTS of coffee. There were times when we worked long hours and then drank far too much coffee. It always ended with what we called "the whips and jingles" and then a crash. Sadly we never learned and repeated it all too often.

So, yes, I think there are times when we should "give a sh*ite" about how much coffee we are drinking.

True! Then!

RE: The Case for Drinking as Much Coffee as You Like Every reason to justify it - Hugo - 10-27-2014

I quit cigarettes and coffee the same week, twenty years ago. I firmly believe I got the most benefit, physically, from quitting the coffee at the time. I now enjoy a cup or two of black tea in the morning (Earl Grey) and the occasional cup of coffee.

I swear that drinking POTS of coffee per day tore up my guts and raised hell with my body more than smoking did. Caffeine in excess is very hard on your body on a daily basis.

(10-27-2014, 10:28 PM)Hugo Wrote:

I quit cigarettes and coffee the same week, twenty years ago. I firmly believe I got the most benefit, physically, from quitting the coffee at the time. I now enjoy a cup or two of black tea in the morning (Earl Grey) and the occasional cup of coffee.

I swear that drinking POTS of coffee per day tore up my guts and raised hell with my body more than smoking did. Caffeine in excess is very hard on your body on a daily basis.

I don't disagree. Having put coffee on a minimal intake and supplement with tea these days. My question is:: Anyone on this forum not taken changes in their coffee habits at their age?/ Just a question?

RE: The Case for Drinking as Much Coffee as You Like Every reason to justify it - tornado - 10-28-2014

(10-27-2014, 10:40 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

I don't disagree. Having put coffee on a minimal intake and supplement with tea these days. My question is:: Anyone on this forum not taken changes in their coffee habits at their age?/ Just a question?
For my 71st birthday I bought a coffee maker. Before then I was just pouring the boiling water over the grounds in the filter basket, and into the old pot because the pump quit in the old Mr. Coffee Maker. I would have kept going with the old system, but I had company and needed to make 12 cups at a time.

I've upped my consumption from 6 to 7 1/2-8 cups a day. I drink Boondock Bay french roast, exclusively

RE: The Case for Drinking as Much Coffee as You Like Every reason to justify it - Wonky3 - 10-28-2014

(10-28-2014, 07:32 AM)tornado Wrote:

For my 71st birthday I bought a coffee maker. Before then I was just pouring the boiling water over the grounds in the filter basket, and into the old pot because the pump quit in the old Mr. Coffee Maker. I would have kept going with the old system, but I had company and needed to make 12 cups at a time.

I've upped my consumption from 6 to 7 1/2-8 cups a day. I drink Boondock Bay french roast, exclusively

I thought I'd try some of that Boondock Bay French Roast.
Went down to 7-11.
They never heard of it.
How good could the stuff be if one of the biggest outfits in the country don't sell it?
Ha! Guess I proved my point right there!
(I bought some Folgers instant while there and some powdered cream to add to it. I'm kinda picky about my coffee. By the way, instant coffee is even better if you add HOT water)

RE: The Case for Drinking as Much Coffee as You Like Every reason to justify it - Valuesize - 10-28-2014

(10-28-2014, 09:02 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: I thought I'd try some of that Boondock Bay French Roast.
Went down to 7-11.
They never heard of it.
How good could the stuff be if one of the biggest outfits in the country don't sell it?
(I bought some Folgers instant while there and some powdered cream to add to it. I'm kinda picky about my coffee. By the way, instant coffee is even better if you add HOT water)

I think Boondock Bay is only available at Grocery Outlet.

RE: The Case for Drinking as Much Coffee as You Like Every reason to justify it - Wonky3 - 10-28-2014

(10-28-2014, 09:28 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(10-28-2014, 09:02 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: I thought I'd try some of that Boondock Bay French Roast.
Went down to 7-11.
They never heard of it.

I think Boondock Bay is only available at Grocery Outlet.

Just my luck.
I can't go in there anymore.
They caught me eating potatoes chips out of the bag in the store.
they are kind of one way, know what I mean? Wink

RE: The Case for Drinking as Much Coffee as You Like Every reason to justify it - tvguy - 10-28-2014

I haven't changed anything. One or maybe two cups in the morning and that's it.

RE: The Case for Drinking as Much Coffee as You Like Every reason to justify it - Scrapper - 10-28-2014

Only when it keeps my up at night... otherwise I really don't give a sh*te.

RE: The Case for Drinking as Much Coffee as You Like Every reason to justify it - tornado - 10-28-2014

(10-28-2014, 06:37 PM)Scrapper Wrote:

Only when it keeps my up at night... otherwise I really don't give a sh*te.

I've heard if you don't give a shite you should try a coffee enema. WARNING, I am not giving medical advice!Laughing

RE: The Case for Drinking as Much Coffee as You Like Every reason to justify it - Valuesize - 04-11-2018

I just bought one of these because I'm a bit burned out on making pour overs. This simulates a pour over and you can choose the tempt you want the water to pour over the grounds. Evidently closer to 200 degrees produces a more flavorful brew than boiling tempts I usually use. In other words, I get to play with a new toy.  Big Grin

[Image: 51TSts52zZL._SL1000_.jpg]
 Behmor Brazen Plus