RogueValleyForum.com
Remembering MLK - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Debate (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: National and World News (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Remembering MLK (/showthread.php?tid=17091)

Pages: 1 2

Remembering MLK - SFLiberal - 01-20-2015

Unfortunately these people don't:

Americans Forget Martin Luther King and What He Did - First African American to Walk on the Moon!?

Lie Witness News - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Edition

RE: Remembering MLK - SFLiberal - 01-20-2015

[Image: 10924699_10152618877807596_7136630206809975354_n.jpg]

I have a Dream....
[Image: 10713007_10152619062612596_6627111054326663537_n.jpg]

Big GrinSmiling

RE: Remembering MLK - Hugo - 01-20-2015

Paraphrase: Judge not on the color of skin, but rather on the content of character.

The biggest problem facing blacks today is NOT the first half of the sentence.

RE: Remembering MLK - Wonky3 - 01-20-2015

(01-20-2015, 03:09 PM)Hugo Wrote: Paraphrase: Judge not on the color of skin, but rather on the content of character.

As you know Hugo, I'm kinda dumb.

What is the biggest problem facing blacks today? I'm sure you are not suggesting that black skin results in lack of good character. So...

RE: Remembering MLK - tvguy - 01-20-2015

(01-20-2015, 04:43 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(01-20-2015, 03:09 PM)Hugo Wrote: Paraphrase: Judge not on the color of skin, but rather on the content of character.

What is the biggest problem facing blacks today? I'm sure you are not suggesting that black skin results in lack of good character. So...

Pretty sure he said The biggest problem facing blacks today is the content of their character. I would say that is definitely true about many blacks.

.....as you suggest that that is exactly what I believe. Once again putting words in my mouth and attempting to label me as something I am not.

You are a real piece of.... work.

MLK, in the paraphrased quote I posted, was suggesting (in MY opinion), that in order for the black community to defeat racism, they needed to rise up and become exemplary citizens. Let the content of their character make them successful.

Their communities today seem to be doing the opposite.

You recently said you would stop commenting on my posts. May I ask you, if you do not intend to actually do that, and you are indeed going to comment on them, perhaps you might refrain from libel and slanderous accusations such as suggesting that I am a racist. If you DO refrain, you will receive far less fuck you's.

RE: Remembering MLK - Wonky3 - 01-20-2015

(01-20-2015, 07:50 PM)Hugo Wrote:

.....as you suggest that that is exactly what I believe. Once again putting words in my mouth and attempting to label me as something I am not.

MLK, in the paraphrased quote I posted, was suggesting (in MY opinion), that in order for the black community to defeat racism, they needed to rise up and become exemplary citizens. Let the content of their character make them successful.

You recently said you would stop commenting on my posts. May I ask you, if you do not intend to actually do that, and you are indeed going to comment on them, perhaps you might refrain from libel and slanderous accusations such as suggesting that I am a racist. If you DO refrain, you will receive far less fuck you's.

Fair enough.
But I have another possible response that I thought maybe you were shooting for. (And this is also a response to TVg's post above)

No doubt, the "black community" struggles with "character issues". Big time!
Thing is, a great majority of blacks in our county live in poverty. One of the reasons for that poverty is the lack of skills they have and the lack of skills goes directly to the cycle of that poverty where education and social awareness is lacking. Lacking big time. Conduct in those places falls to behavior very unlike the society as a whole.

And you what? It ain't only blacks. I know first hand. I come from a long line of redneck racists who think the Middle East is Nebraska and beer is a breakfast drink. One in a hundred of us break free, except I didn't get all that damn far.

Poverty and ignorance go hand in hand and poverty is a disease as surely as the flu is a disease.

Dr. King wanted "his people" to find their better selves and he inspired them to reach for a better life. Not Moses, he could not lead them from bondage to the promised land.
And, as we now know, Dr. King had some character flaws of his own.

But to suggest that black people suffer from lack of character is to include ALL blacks. Many, many, thousands of black people have left the ghetto and are achieving good and responsible lives. And we know that many, many, are stuck in the cycle of poverty that leads to a lack of "content of character".

And you can find that same problem in the hollows of Kentucky, the hills of West Virginia, the dry grass of Oklahoma, and rural Oregon. Where people don't value education, behavior and values turn sour.

Hugo I was not insulting you. I was waiting to see if you were going to acknowledge the complexities of life for those who are disadvantaged by the condition of their birth.

I did not insult you, but I did expect more.

RE: Remembering MLK - Cuzz - 01-20-2015

(01-20-2015, 08:17 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Fair enough.
But I have another possible response that I thought maybe you were shooting for. (And this is also a response to TVg's post above)

Thing is, a great majority of blacks in our county live in poverty. One of the reasons for that poverty is the lack of skills they have and the lack of skills goes directly to the cycle of that poverty where education and social awareness is lacking. Lacking big time. Conduct in those places falls to behavior very unlike the society as a whole.

And you what? It ain't only blacks. I know first hand. I come from a long line of redneck racists who think the Middle East is Nebraska and beer is a breakfast drink. One in a hundred of us break free, except I didn't get all that damn far.

Poverty and ignorance go hand in hand and poverty is a disease as surely as the flu is a disease.

Dr. King wanted "his people" to find their better selves and he inspired them to reach for a better life. Not Moses, he could not lead them from bondage to the promised land.

But to suggest that black people suffer from lack of character is to include ALL blacks. Many, many, thousands of black people have left the ghetto and are achieving good and responsible lives. And we know that many, many, are stuck in the cycle of poverty that leads to a lack of "content of character".

And you can find that same problem in the hollows of Kentucky, the hills of West Virginia, the dry grass of Oklahoma, and rural Oregon. Where people don't value education, behavior and values turn sour.

Hugo I was not insulting you. I was waiting to see if you were going to acknowledge the complexities of life for those who are disadvantaged by the condition of their birth.

Well said. You do have a way with words, sometimes. As I was reading I was struck by the portion I bolded above. I've seen the same born out of well educated arrogance too, funny that.

RE: Remembering MLK - tvguy - 01-20-2015

Quote:
Wonky....But I have another possible response that I thought maybe you were shooting for. (And this is also a response to TVg's post above)

No doubt, the "black community" struggles with "character issues". Big time! Here it comes.. the EXCUSE

Never mind the fact that there are MORE white people in poverty than blacks

Quote:And you what? It ain't only blacks. I know first hand. I come from a long line of redneck racists who think the Middle East is Nebraska and beer is a breakfast drink. One in a hundred of us break free, except I didn't get all that damn far.
Who said it was ONLY blacks? I didn't. Hugo spoke about black communities. He didn't say ALL blacks or ALL black communities. What makes you assume he said something he didn't say?

Quote: Poverty and ignorance go hand in hand and poverty is a disease as surely as the flu is a disease.

Poverty is not a disease. It's a condition brought on by many things.

Quote:But to suggest that black people suffer from lack of character is to include ALL blacks.

Again.. NO ONE said "ALL BLACKS"

Quote:
Many, many, thousands of black people have left the ghetto and are achieving good and responsible lives.

Who said any different?

Quote: And we know that many, many, are stuck in the cycle of poverty that leads to a lack of "content of character".
That's the third time you brought out that excuse for blacks bad behaviors.

Quote:

OK now it's FOUR timesLaughing

I don't care what hollow you go to you still won't find any groups of people who commit the amount of crime blacks do in this country. A lot of blacks have a problem worse than poverty and of course poverty is a big part. It's a cultural attitude. Making excuses for them isn't EVER going to help.

Fair enough.

Yes, you did insult me, and then piled it on higher and deeper. Just read my WORDS, and stop extrapolating your own biased judgement of MY character.

Again, if you did that, you would receive far less fuck you's.

RE: Remembering MLK - Wonky3 - 01-21-2015

(01-20-2015, 10:04 PM)Hugo Wrote:

Fair enough.

Yes, you did insult me, and then piled it on higher and deeper. Just read my WORDS, and stop extrapolating your own biased judgement of MY character.

Again, if you did that, you would receive far less fuck you's.

Got it. Loud and clear. I will continue to think it was misunderstanding but see no need to go any further with it.

(01-20-2015, 09:43 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Quote:
Wonky....But I have another possible response that I thought maybe you were shooting for. (And this is also a response to TVg's post above)

No doubt, the "black community" struggles with "character issues". Big time! Here it comes.. the EXCUSE

Never mind the fact that there are MORE white people in poverty than blacks

Quote:And you what? It ain't only blacks. I know first hand. I come from a long line of redneck racists who think the Middle East is Nebraska and beer is a breakfast drink. One in a hundred of us break free, except I didn't get all that damn far.
Who said it was ONLY blacks? I didn't. Hugo spoke about black communities. He didn't say ALL blacks or ALL black communities. What makes you assume he said something he didn't say?

Quote: Poverty and ignorance go hand in hand and poverty is a disease as surely as the flu is a disease.

Poverty is not a disease. It's a condition brought on by many things.

Quote:But to suggest that black people suffer from lack of character is to include ALL blacks.

Again.. NO ONE said "ALL BLACKS"

Quote:
Many, many, thousands of black people have left the ghetto and are achieving good and responsible lives.

Who said any different?

Quote: And we know that many, many, are stuck in the cycle of poverty that leads to a lack of "content of character".
That's the third time you brought out that excuse for blacks bad behaviors.

Quote:

OK now it's FOUR timesLaughing

I don't care what hollow you go to you still won't find any groups of people who commit the amount of crime blacks do in this country. A lot of blacks have a problem worse than poverty and of course poverty is a big part. It's a cultural attitude. Making excuses for them isn't EVER going to help.

We see the world in different ways.
It's not going to change.
I won't be trying to discuss this kind of stuff with you any longer.

RE: Remembering MLK - Tiamat - 01-21-2015

Oh, God, I hate to ask but can't resist.....TVguy, this a conversation we've had on this forum many times before. I always have to poke and prod you to be more articulate on this passionate viewpoint of yours. So, please, enlighten us. If it's not poverty that creates the crime, what is it? Some innate nature in people of African lineage? You seem to feel that there is a unique and specific phenomenon . Can you please describe what that is specifically, and also what you feel would/could/should be done to address it? Exactly what is your point?

RE: Remembering MLK - Scrapper - 01-21-2015

(01-21-2015, 09:14 AM)Tiamat Wrote: Oh, God, I hate to ask but can't resist.....TVguy, this a conversation we've had on this forum many times before. I always have to poke and prod you to be more articulate on this passionate viewpoint of yours. So, please, enlighten us. If it's not poverty that creates the crime, what is it? Some innate nature in people of African lineage? You seem to feel that there is a unique and specific phenomenon . Can you please describe what that is specifically, and also what you feel would/could/should be done to address it? Exactly what is your point?

I'm with Tia on this... I, too, would love to know.

RE: Remembering MLK - bbqboy - 01-21-2015

You already know the answer.

RE: Remembering MLK - solomon - 01-21-2015

I read about this experiment today. Seems relevant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_Park

Rat Park was a study into drug addiction conducted in the late 1970s (and published in 1980) by Canadian psychologist Bruce K. Alexander and his colleagues at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia, Canada.

Alexander's hypothesis was that drugs do not cause addiction, and that the apparent addiction to opiate drugs commonly observed in laboratory rats exposed to it is attributable to their living conditions, and not to any addictive property of the drug itself. He told the Canadian Senate in 2001 that prior experiments in which laboratory rats were kept isolated in cramped metal cages, tethered to a self-injection apparatus, show only that "severely distressed animals, like severely distressed people, will relieve their distress pharmacologically if they can.

Rats who had been forced to consume morphine hydrochloride for 57 consecutive days were brought to Rat Park and given a choice between plain tap water and water laced with morphine. For the most part, they chose the plain water. "Nothing that we tried," Alexander wrote, "... produced anything that looked like addiction in rats that were housed in a reasonably normal environment." Control groups of rats isolated in small cages consumed much more morphine in this and several subsequent experiments.

RE: Remembering MLK - tvguy - 01-21-2015

(01-21-2015, 09:14 AM)Tiamat Wrote: Oh, God, I hate to ask but can't resist.....TVguy, this a conversation we've had on this forum many times before. I always have to poke and prod you to be more articulate on this passionate viewpoint of yours. So, please, enlighten us. If it's not poverty that creates the crime, what is it? Some innate nature in people of African lineage? You seem to feel that there is a unique and specific phenomenon . Can you please describe what that is specifically, and also what you feel would/could/should be done to address it? Exactly what is your point?

OK Tia if poverty is the reason blacks who are only 13% of our population commit so much crime. Then why don't the 10% of Americans who are poor or 20 million whites in poverty. Stuff our prisons and jails the way blacks do?

There are 45 million blacks in this country. If 28% are living in poverty then that means there are about 12 million poor blacks.

Approximately 12%-13% of the American population is African-American, but they make up 40% of the almost 2.1 million male inmates in jail or prison (U.S. Department of Justice, 2009).

If there is NOT a unique and specific phenomenon to explain this then what does explain it? It's NOT just poverty.

You want me to explain this? I've said over and over that a big part of it is indeed poverty and despair and the fact that many blacks are living in ghettos.
And I have also said many many times that blacks have a BAD prevailing attitude they carry around.
And IMO it gives them the right to commit crimes or maybe do whatever it is they want to offset the oppression or racism that is both real and perceived.

I have also said many times that we need to have jobs available to ALL blacks even if we have to CREATE jobs that are meaningless.
IMO this would still be cheaper than running so many blacks through our criminal justice system.

Big Rock made a good post about the definition of RESENTMENT that IMO made a LOT of sense in explaining the plight of blacks in this country.

RE: Remembering MLK - tvguy - 01-21-2015

(01-21-2015, 11:12 AM)solomon Wrote: I read about this experiment today. Seems relevant.

Rat Park was a study into drug addiction conducted in the late 1970s (and published in 1980) by Canadian psychologist Bruce K. Alexander and his colleagues at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia, Canada.

Alexander's hypothesis was that drugs do not cause addiction, and that the apparent addiction to opiate drugs commonly observed in laboratory rats exposed to it is attributable to their living conditions, and not to any addictive property of the drug itself. He told the Canadian Senate in 2001 that prior experiments in which laboratory rats were kept isolated in cramped metal cages, tethered to a self-injection apparatus, show only that "severely distressed animals, like severely distressed people, will relieve their distress pharmacologically if they can.

Rats who had been forced to consume morphine hydrochloride for 57 consecutive days were brought to Rat Park and given a choice between plain tap water and water laced with morphine. For the most part, they chose the plain water. "Nothing that we tried," Alexander wrote, "... produced anything that looked like addiction in rats that were housed in a reasonably normal environment." Control groups of rats isolated in small cages consumed much more morphine in this and several subsequent experiments.

Well there are a hell of a lot of drug addicted meth heads who live in Rural America.. the "heartland" who pretty much blow holes in your theory.

(01-21-2015, 11:56 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-21-2015, 11:12 AM)solomon Wrote: I read about this experiment today. Seems relevant.

Well there are a hell of a lot of drug addicted meth heads who live in Rural America.. the "heartland" who pretty much blow holes in your theory.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=3805074

Soloman, I've provided the link, I'll leave it up to you to wax eloquent.

RE: Remembering MLK - Tiamat - 01-21-2015

(01-21-2015, 11:54 AM)tvguy Wrote:

OK Tia if poverty is the reason blacks who are only 13% of our population commit so much crime. Then why don't the 10% of Americans who are poor or 20 million whites in poverty. Stuff our prisons and jails the way blacks do?

There are 45 million blacks in this country. If 28% are living in poverty then that means there are about 12 million poor blacks.

Approximately 12%-13% of the American population is African-American, but they make up 40% of the almost 2.1 million male inmates in jail or prison (U.S. Department of Justice, 2009).

If there is NOT a unique and specific phenomenon to explain this then what does explain it? It's NOT just poverty.

You want me to explain this? I've said over and over that a big part of it is indeed poverty and despair and the fact that many blacks are living in ghettos.
And I have also said many many times that blacks have a BAD prevailing attitude they carry around.
And IMO it gives them the right to commit crimes or maybe do whatever it is they want to offset the oppression or racism that is both real and perceived.

I have also said many times that we need to have jobs available to ALL blacks even if we have to CREATE jobs that are meaningless.
IMO this would still be cheaper than running so many blacks through our criminal justice system.

Big Rock made a good post about the definition of RESENTMENT that IMO made a LOT of sense in explaining the plight of blacks in this country.

Well, the attitude thing is a thing we've heard about. Cosby has said as much. Where does this attitude come from? Is it an entitlement attitude? Is there a name for this historical injurious apathy? If so, you could apply it to Native Americans. So, what are you saying it's inherent to the race? To the circumstance?
And your other point about ghettos. Isn't ghetto just another word for poverty and environmental factors. I know we've gone over this before, but here we are talking about it again. So, here I am teasing the details out of you like burrs from the wool. Wink