RogueValleyForum.com
a different random thought - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Debate (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: a different random thought (/showthread.php?tid=17324)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: a different random thought - Oscar - 07-22-2015

(07-22-2015, 08:26 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Something I miss a lot:  Wind wings; Window vents.  Those little triangle windows set in the front of your windows. Why can't we still have those?

Air conditioning has become standard on cars, they reduce fuel mileage due to airflow and they went out of style long before the kind cars I like (American Motors) where being made. Yes, my 1977 Gremlin does not have them or did the Hornet. 

However there is still hope! Buy my Matador! On second thought. Not having vent windows is a small price to pay; that way do not have drive a pile of beige like my Matador.[Image: 3835145700_c70e163392_b.jpg]1975 AMC Matador wagon by Gremlin72, on Flickr

RE: a different random thought - Tiamat - 07-22-2015

(07-22-2015, 09:01 PM)Oscar Wrote:
(07-22-2015, 08:26 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Something I miss a lot:  Wind wings; Window vents.  Those little triangle windows set in the front of your windows. Why can't we still have those?

Air conditioning has become standard on cars, they reduce fuel mileage due to airflow and they went out of style long before the kind cars I like (American Motors) where being made. Yes, my 1977 Gremlin does not have them or did the Hornet. 

However there is still hope! Buy my Matador! On second thought. Not having vent windows is a small price to pay; that way do not have drive a pile of beige like my Matador.[Image: 3835145700_c70e163392_b.jpg]1975 AMC Matador wagon by Gremlin72, on Flickr

I'll take the cut in fuel mileage. I love them.

RE: a different random thought - bbqboy - 07-22-2015

You have a Matador wagon?
I love Ramblers too. I've had a bunch.

It's so stupid. I'm driving along and I roll down the window....correction...I glide the window down using the electric button, there is no handle to "roll"... and as I'm driving down Crater Lake Hwy, the wind is just buffeting me.  I don't need the AC. I don't want the AC. I'm just driving to the shopping center on a nice day, not driving the freeway.  I just want a wind wing so I can actually drive with the window down and not get beat up.

RE: a different random thought - Valuesize - 07-22-2015

(07-22-2015, 10:05 PM)bbqboy Wrote: You have a Matador wagon?

I owned one like this, it was my 2nd car after the '62 falcon. 

[Image: 1965_rambler_classic_770_convertible-white.jpg?w=640]

I think I may have had a Rambler at one time.  Not sure. I'm sure it hand wind wings though.
Wink

RE: a different random thought - Tiamat - 07-23-2015

Not so much a thought as completely random. It makes me laugh.

[Image: 11755890_1472013639779525_51495526735935...e=5617ED82][Image: 11755890_1472013639779525_51495526735935...e=5617ED82]

RE: a different random thought - tvguy - 07-23-2015

They were excellent cars.I remember one I had was so quiet that when sitting in the drivers seat you couldn't hear or feel the engine run.
I remember trying to put a newer trans in one I had. It had an enclosed drive shaft. Meaning you had to unbolt the entire rear end and roll it backwards a few inches to remove the transmission.
I bought that one for 50 bucks 25 years ago. It was in a barn in Sam's Valley... and sold it for $400  .

RE: a different random thought - Wonky3 - 07-23-2015

(07-23-2015, 10:33 AM)tvguy Wrote:

They were excellent cars.I remember one I had was so quiet that when sitting in the drivers seat you couldn't hear or feel the engine run.
I remember trying to put a newer trans in one I had. It had an enclosed drive shaft. Meaning you had to unbolt the entire rear end and roll it backwards a few inches to remove the transmission.
I bought that one for 50 bucks 25 years ago. It was in a barn in Sam's Valley... and sold it for $400  .
I can top that with something even less interesting. 

In 1955 I worked for a short time on the assembly line at American Motors in El Segundo, CA adding the cowling below the windshields of the Nash Rambler. 

(The reason it was a short time: I had to be 18 years old to work in an "industrial plant" and I was 3 month shy of 18. I told them I lost my drivers license. Two weeks later they canned me because I was a lier. I think I did good work, but a liar I was, and that was a fact. I have no opinion about the car. Never drove one.) 

RE: a different random thought - bbqboy - 07-23-2015

That is the best story I've ever heard from you.

RE: a different random thought - Wonky3 - 07-23-2015

(07-23-2015, 09:39 PM)bbqboy Wrote: That is the best story I've ever heard from you.

Thank you.
I have hundreds more.
But only that one is free.  Big Grin

RE: a different random thought - chuck white - 07-23-2015

RE: a different random thought - Valuesize - 08-19-2018

[Image: 1emzqsaz3t5glbyndf66_bigger.jpeg]John CleeseVerified account @JohnCleese 4h4 hours ago

My wife, is now completely fluent in Feline. She can't speak it, as her mouth is the wrong shape and her teeth not sharp enough, but she understands EVERYTHING !

So we are secretly recording their conversations. She will translate them for a coffee table book, called...

What ?

RE: a different random thought - Juniper - 08-19-2018

(08-19-2018, 09:03 PM)Valuesize Wrote: [Image: 1emzqsaz3t5glbyndf66_bigger.jpeg]John CleeseVerified account @JohnCleese 4h4 hours ago

My wife, is now completely fluent in Feline. She can't speak it, as her mouth is the wrong shape and her teeth not sharp enough, but she understands EVERYTHING !

So we are secretly recording their conversations. She will translate them for a coffee table book, called...

What ?

That IS random!

RE: a different random thought - Valuesize - 08-20-2018

[Image: fqPBAr5s_bigger.jpeg]Dalai LamaVerified account @DalaiLama 7h7 hours ago

Irrespective of whether we have faith in religion or not, it’s good to be more compassionate. It makes us happier as individuals with a positive influence on our families and the neighborhood where we live.

RE: a different random thought - Juniper - 08-20-2018

Here's a random thought: When did it become Un-PC to say "Oriental" and when did it become PC to say "Asian" instead? And why? I was having this conversation with someone and was a bit stumped by the question. Is it a white person thing? Is it derogatory? How to Asian people feel about it? Because Asia as a land mass is huge. It includes the Middle East, like Iran, Iaq, Yemen; it includes India and parts of the Russian continent also. It used to be a way differentiating East/Orient and West/Occidental....now it's an issue. But why?

(08-20-2018, 10:17 AM)Juniper Wrote: Here's a random thought:  When did it become Un-PC to say "Oriental" and when did it become PC to say "Asian" instead?  And why?  I was having this conversation with someone and was a bit stumped by the question.  Is it a white person thing?  Is it derogatory? How to Asian people feel about it?  Because Asia as a land mass is huge.  It includes the Middle East, like Iran, Iaq, Yemen; it includes India and parts of the Russian continent also.  It used to be a way differentiating East/Orient and West/Occidental....now it's an issue.  But why?

Oriental is proper when describing things like rugs and Asian is proper for people. (Of course Asian works for things also) As as far as I know it's always been that way, so improper word usage shows more your lack of knowledge, not necessarily PC.

(08-20-2018, 10:31 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(08-20-2018, 10:17 AM)Juniper Wrote: Here's a random thought:  When did it become Un-PC to say "Oriental" and when did it become PC to say "Asian" instead?  And why?  I was having this conversation with someone and was a bit stumped by the question.  Is it a white person thing?  Is it derogatory? How to Asian people feel about it?  Because Asia as a land mass is huge.  It includes the Middle East, like Iran, Iaq, Yemen; it includes India and parts of the Russian continent also.  It used to be a way differentiating East/Orient and West/Occidental....now it's an issue.  But why?

Oriental is proper when describing things like rugs and Asian is proper for people. (Of course Asian works for things also) As as far as I know it's always been that way, so improper word usage shows more your lack of knowledge, not necessarily PC.
I clearly remember Asians being referred to as Orientals in the past. Something changed.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who remember this.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-tsuchiyama-oriental-insult-20160601-snap-story.html

As an Oriental, I am bemused. Apparently Asians are supposed to feel demeaned if someone refers to us as Orientals. But good luck finding a single Asian American who has ever had the word spat at them in anger. Most Asian Americans have had racist epithets hurled at them at one time or another: Chink, slant eye, gook, Nip, zipperhead. But Oriental isn't in the canon.

And why should it be? Literally, it means of the Orient or of the East, as opposed to of the Occident or of the West. Last I checked, geographic origin is not a slur.

(08-20-2018, 10:38 AM)Juniper Wrote: I clearly remember Asians being referred to as Orientals in the past. Something changed.

That fact that you and many others used an improper word changes nothing. Never too old to learn.  Wink Now if I could just learn to punctuate properly.  Rolling Eyes