RogueValleyForum.com
a different random thought - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Debate (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: a different random thought (/showthread.php?tid=17324)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: a different random thought - Cuzz - 08-20-2018

(08-20-2018, 11:14 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(08-20-2018, 10:38 AM)Juniper Wrote: I clearly remember Asians being referred to as Orientals in the past. Something changed.

That fact that you and many others used an improper word changes nothing. Never too old to learn.  Wink Now if I could just learn to punctuate properly.  Rolling Eyes

You might be right. I don't know. I remember using "oriental" to describe something (I don't remember what) about 15 or more years ago and getting strange looks. I haven't had that experience since I switched to "asian".   Big Grin

RE: a different random thought - tvguy - 08-20-2018

(08-20-2018, 10:38 AM)Juniper Wrote: I clearly remember Asians being referred to as Orientals in the past. Something changed.

That fact that you and many others used an improper word changes nothing. Never too old to learn.  Wink Now if I could just learn to punctuate properly.  Rolling Eyes

The term oriental has become on PC and has been replaced by Asian. Does it matter what is or was correct?
  Asian has been deemed to be PC by the PC Gods. But Like Juniper said I don't know why.

You can say Englishman but you can't say Chinaman. Plain that Razz

RE: a different random thought - Juniper - 08-20-2018

(08-20-2018, 01:16 PM)tvguy Wrote:

The term oriental has become on PC and has been replaced by Asian. Does it matter what is or was correct?
  Asian has been deemed to be PC by the PC Gods. But Like Juniper said I don't know why.

You can say Englishman but you can't say Chinaman. Plain that Razz

It doesn't "matter".  But it was a random thought. Your explanation is as good as anyone's. Big Grin

This misses my point entirely.  My question is, when did it become improper and why?    This is not a matter of "learning".  It's a matter of cultural change. And I'm asking how and why?

(08-20-2018, 12:27 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

You might be right. I don't know. I remember using "oriental" to describe something (I don't remember what) about 15 or more years ago and getting strange looks. I haven't had that experience since I switched to "asian".   Big Grin

Isn't there a rock song that mentions the "oriental man"??  From around the 70's?

RE: a different random thought - GPnative - 08-20-2018

(08-20-2018, 01:43 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Isn't there a rock song that mentions the "oriental man"??  From around the 70's?

Hmm, there is a southern man, missionary man, ramblin' man, piano man, california man, lucky man, family man, travelin' man, solitary man, simple man....nope, no oriental man Razz Wink

(08-20-2018, 01:47 PM)GPnative Wrote:

Hmm, there is a southern man, missionary man, ramblin' man, piano man, california man, lucky man, family man, travelin' man, solitary man, simple man....nope, no oriental man Razz Wink
Laughing

(08-20-2018, 01:47 PM)GPnative Wrote:

Laughing Laughing   I think you are wrong

RE: a different random thought - Valuesize - 08-20-2018

(08-20-2018, 01:42 PM)Juniper Wrote:

This misses my point entirely.  My question is, when did it become improper and why?    This is not a matter of "learning".  It's a matter of cultural change. And I'm asking how and why?

It has always been improper. Asked and answered.

RE: a different random thought - GPnative - 08-20-2018

(08-20-2018, 02:37 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

That may be an answer, but it's also not true.

Not sure if it's always been considered improper. But it's definitely been considered to not be PC relatively recently. Did you read Junipers link?

President Obama recently signed a bill prohibiting use of the term in all federal documents. Rep. Grace Meng, the New York congresswoman who sponsored the legislation, exulted that "at long last this insulting and outdated term will be gone for good."

No it hasn't.  Not at all.  It BECAME improper.  It BECAME politically incorrect. It wasn't before.

(08-20-2018, 04:11 PM)Juniper Wrote:

No it hasn't.  Not at all.  It BECAME improper.  It BECAME politically incorrect. It wasn't before.
I can understand his point that it was always technically improper.I think Razz

Do Hawaiian girls with grass skirts sit around the camp fire?

(08-20-2018, 04:34 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-20-2018, 11:14 AM)Valuesize Wrote: That fact that you and many others used an improper word changes nothing. Never too old to learn.  Wink Now if I could just learn to punctuate properly.  Rolling Eyes

In what way?  

By the way, I heard a vegan saying she wouldn't refer to beef as beef anymore, only cow meat so it didn't objectify the cow. Big Grin

(08-20-2018, 04:42 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(08-20-2018, 01:42 PM)Juniper Wrote: This misses my point entirely.  My question is, when did it become improper and why?    This is not a matter of "learning".  It's a matter of cultural change. And I'm asking how and why?

In what way?  

By the way, I heard a vegan saying she wouldn't refer to beef as beef anymore, only cow meat so it didn't objectify the cow. Big Grin
In no way LOL . I was thinking backwards . Oriental is more accurate than Asian and makes a lot more sense.
The term has always been used to describe people from east Asia. People with slanty eyes LOL

So Now   Russians are Asians I guess as well as people from Saudi Arabia. Unsure

By the way, I heard a vegan saying she wouldn't refer to beef as beef anymore, only cow meat so it didn't objectify the cow

For the love of all that's holy Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

(08-20-2018, 05:42 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-20-2018, 02:37 PM)Valuesize Wrote: It has always been improper. Asked and answered.

In what way?  

In no way LOL . I was thinking backwards . Oriental is more accurate than Asian and makes a lot more sense.
The term has always been used to describe people from east Asia. People with slanty eyes LOL

So Now   Russians are Asians I guess as well as people from Saudi Arabia. Unsure

By the way, I heard a vegan saying she wouldn't refer to beef as beef anymore, only cow meat so it didn't objectify the cow

I know, right? PLEASE give me a break.

Anway,  I concur with the Oriental anyway, because Russia and the Middle East ARE part of Asia (and always have been).  And I can't find where it started to be offensive. If you try and find the origins they seem to be kind of contrived. 

Where's BBQ  maybe he could remember that line from a song about an Oriental man. (it's bugging me. Big Grin)

RE: a different random thought - GCG - 08-20-2018

(08-20-2018, 06:48 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(08-20-2018, 05:42 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-20-2018, 04:11 PM)Juniper Wrote: No it hasn't.  Not at all.  It BECAME improper.  It BECAME politically incorrect. It wasn't before.

In what way?  

I know, right? PLEASE give me a break.

Anway,  I concur with the Oriental anyway, because Russia and the Middle East ARE part of Asia (and always have been).  And I can't find where it started to be offensive. If you try and find the origins they seem to be kind of contrived. 

Where's BBQ  maybe he could remember that line from a song about an Oriental man. (it's bugging me. Big Grin)

Can we still describe southeast Asia as "the Orient" or is that unPC as well? Facts are facts... it's tough to tell the difference between some of the people from that area. "Asian" is far too broad a term for those fine folks. I can see where "zips" and "chinks" and all of those disparaging terms are offensive. But I never could understand the problem with "oriental." I guess if you don't know their country of origin it would be most accurate to say "southeast Asian." I'm cool with being described as American, North American, honky, cracker-ass, whitey, pale-face, redneck and whatever else you want to throw my way. And I don't care if you mean it as insult or not. I've got other things to worry about.

RE: a different random thought - Juniper - 08-21-2018

The forum would have less than a post a day if it weren't for the Trump threads. Sad

RE: a different random thought - tvguy - 08-21-2018

(08-21-2018, 10:13 AM)Juniper Wrote: The forum would have less than a post a day if it weren't for the Trump threads. Sad

Sad