RogueValleyForum.com
Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) (/showthread.php?tid=17400)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

RE: Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) - Juniper - 08-15-2018

(08-15-2018, 12:15 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(08-15-2018, 11:54 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-15-2018, 11:47 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(08-15-2018, 11:30 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(08-15-2018, 11:12 AM)GPnative Wrote: I was ok with it, it was certainly not a great episode on the action front, but the dialog was good (and well acted)  and I think it was another great brick in the wall for the Jimmy to Saul conversion in how he was coping with Chuck / Howard and moving along the story of pre-Breaking Bad details, with Nacho, The Salamacas, Gus, etc.

I didn't watch BB enough to carry ANY storyline to Saul, so that's probably detrimental to my whole Saul experience. I'm good with that though... Smiling

Oh geez, yes, very detrimental.

I don't think it matters much at all if you didn't see BB.

In the grand scheme, sure, it can viewed stand alone, but it is most definitely detrimental to the full experience. So many characters have tie in, some major, like Lydia etc. to minor, like Gus's henchmen following Nacho. Or hell even why Saul himself is in hiding as Gene!

It matters....

I don't think it does. I think you could watch the entire series of BCS (when it's complete) and THEN watch BB. I don't think BCS depends on BB to watch, enjoy or understand.  I think it's fun to see the connections but not at all necessary.

(08-15-2018, 01:18 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-15-2018, 11:47 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(08-15-2018, 11:30 AM)Valuesize Wrote: I didn't watch BB enough to carry ANY storyline to Saul, so that's probably detrimental to my whole Saul experience. I'm good with that though... Smiling

Oh geez, yes, very detrimental.

In the grand scheme, sure, it can viewed stand alone, but it is most definitely detrimental to the full experience. So many characters have tie in, some major, like Lydia etc. to minor, like Gus's henchmen following Nacho. Or hell even why Saul himself is in hiding as Gene!

It matters....

One of the characters who was in Breaking Bad who was killed is alive in Better call Saul.

I think most of all you mentioned that has roots in BB is easily figured out weather you have seen BB or not.

Just one?  Big Grin Laughing Laughing

RE: Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) - GCG - 08-15-2018

(08-15-2018, 04:30 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(08-15-2018, 11:47 AM)GPnative Wrote: Oh geez, yes, very detrimental.

It matters....

One of the characters who was in Breaking Bad who was killed is alive in Better call Saul.

I think most of all you mentioned that has roots in BB is easily figured out weather you have seen BB or not.

More interesting to me is the absence of Kim in BB. My own theory: Jimmy is inadvertently responsible for her demise which plays a part in his own decline. BTW, I really enjoyed watching her tear Howard a new one in the most recent episode. Just in case anyone is confused... Better Call Saul's timeline is BEFORE Breaking Bad...

RE: Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) - tvguy - 08-15-2018

(08-15-2018, 05:29 PM)GCG Wrote:
(08-15-2018, 11:54 AM)tvguy Wrote:  I don't think it matters much at all if you didn't see BB.

It matters....

More interesting to me is the absence of Kim in BB. My own theory: Jimmy is inadvertently responsible for her demise which plays a part in his own decline. BTW, I really enjoyed watching her tear Howard a new one in the most recent episode. Just in case anyone is confused... Better Call Saul's timeline is BEFORE Breaking Bad...

Yes it's a prequel and that just weird LOL

(08-15-2018, 05:37 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-15-2018, 12:15 PM)GPnative Wrote: In the grand scheme, sure, it can viewed stand alone, but it is most definitely detrimental to the full experience. So many characters have tie in, some major, like Lydia etc. to minor, like Gus's henchmen following Nacho. Or hell even why Saul himself is in hiding as Gene!

It matters....

Do you think prequels are just weird in general?

(08-15-2018, 07:24 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(08-15-2018, 01:18 PM)tvguy Wrote:   One of the characters who was in Breaking Bad who was killed is alive in Better call Saul.

I think they were only invented so they can have another show about the same thing when the main actors are dead LOL

(08-15-2018, 09:15 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-15-2018, 04:30 PM)Juniper Wrote: Just one?  Big Grin Laughing Laughing

I think they were only invented so they can have another show about the same thing when the main actors are dead LOL

in a lot of cases yes.  Though the most famous prequel of them all is Star Wars.

(08-15-2018, 09:20 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(08-15-2018, 05:29 PM)GCG Wrote: More interesting to me is the absence of Kim in BB. My own theory: Jimmy is inadvertently responsible for her demise which plays a part in his own decline. BTW, I really enjoyed watching her tear Howard a new one in the most recent episode. Just in case anyone is confused... Better Call Saul's timeline is BEFORE Breaking Bad...

in a lot of cases yes.  Though the most famous prequel of them all is Star Wars.

Star wars never did much for me. It was almost as corn ball a Star trek LOL

(08-15-2018, 09:37 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-15-2018, 09:20 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(08-15-2018, 05:37 PM)tvguy Wrote: Yes it's a prequel and that just weird LOL

Star wars never did much for me. It was almost as corn ball a Star trek LOL

I liked it's Joseph Campbell inspiration and use of the archetypes.

RE: Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) - GCG - 08-19-2018

Just started watching the Sopranos. So far it's been okay... not riveting. I'm now using a Fire TV stick. It sort of combines all of the streaming services into one screen... plus you can add apps from all of the normal channels like Science Channel, History, HBO... whatever and use their On Demand feature. It a nutshell it damn near let's you watch anything that you can think of whenever you wish. Oh yeah... and it's voice activated. It only has 5 buttons on the remote. Pretty cool, but there is a learning curve. 

Most of what I watch is free but not really. For example, I watch a lot of Prime Video but it's free because I am a Prime member at Amazon. If I want to watch streaming History on demand, I have to have History as part of my Direct TV package. The same would be true if you use Dish or whatever. I have been able to watch some HBO stuff for free... 

I'm still learnng how to use the damn thing.

RE: Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) - tvguy - 08-19-2018

(08-19-2018, 05:50 PM)GCG Wrote: Just started watching the Sopranos. So far it's been okay... not riveting. I'm now using a Fire TV stick. It sort of combines all of the streaming services into one screen... plus you can add apps from all of the normal channels like Science Channel, History, HBO... whatever and use their On Demand feature. It a nutshell it damn near let's you watch anything that you can think of whenever you wish. Oh yeah... and it's voice activated. It only has 5 buttons on the remote. Pretty cool, but there is a learning curve. 

Most of what I watch is free but not really. For example, I watch a lot of Prime Video but it's free because I am a Prime member at Amazon. If I want to watch streaming History on demand, I have to have History as part of my Direct TV package. The same would be true if you use Dish or whatever. I have been able to watch some HBO stuff for free... 

Cool. So you have the fire stick and direct TV? My TV i bought came with ROKU. There is a ton of stuff to watch and just like the old days. Totally fee but you have to watch commercials.
Everything I watch is recorded and now I can't stand anything else.

BTW We are having problems with our direct TV. Shows that are on our recording list just disappear.You have to reboot the box and they come back but they get lost again the same day.
We called. They sent some jerk out with ZERO people skills. He actually said they were sick of sending people out Blink Blink
Well if their shit actually worked we wouldn't call anyone. Plus we 138 freaking bucks a month!!!!!

I took my big dogs and went to the neighbors while he was at my house with the wife. I swear to god I would have got up in his grill.

RE: Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) - GCG - 08-19-2018

(08-19-2018, 06:19 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-19-2018, 05:50 PM)GCG Wrote: Just started watching the Sopranos. So far it's been okay... not riveting. I'm now using a Fire TV stick. It sort of combines all of the streaming services into one screen... plus you can add apps from all of the normal channels like Science Channel, History, HBO... whatever and use their On Demand feature. It a nutshell it damn near let's you watch anything that you can think of whenever you wish. Oh yeah... and it's voice activated. It only has 5 buttons on the remote. Pretty cool, but there is a learning curve. 

Cool. So you have the fire stick and direct TV? My TV i bought came with ROKU. There is a ton of stuff to watch and just like the old days. Totally fee but you have to watch commercials.

BTW We are having problems with our direct TV. Shows that are on our recording list just disappear.You have to reboot the box and they come back but they get lost again the same day.
We called. They sent some jerk out with ZERO people skills. He actually said they were sick of sending people out Blink Blink
Well if their shit actually worked we wouldn't call anyone. Plus we 138 freaking bucks a month!!!!!

I took my big dogs and went to the neighbors while he was at my house with the wife. I swear to god I would have got up in his grill.
I'm having the same problem with DTV and my recorded shows. It started after their last big update. My wife cancelled most of our DTV package when we got the Fire TV. We are like one step up from basic. When I scroll through the entire DTV guide.. all I see is a bunch of shit that I don't want to watch. Not to mention a TON of PAID PROGRAMMING. What horseshit. They promise a gazillion channels and 1/2 a gazillion are 24/7 ads. Fuck DTV.... and FUCK Costco too.

RE: Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) - Juniper - 08-19-2018

I never did watch the Sopranos. Or the Shield.

(08-19-2018, 07:12 PM)GCG Wrote:

I'm having the same problem with DTV and my recorded shows. It started after their last big update. My wife cancelled most of our DTV package when we got the Fire TV. We are like one step up from basic. When I scroll through the entire DTV guide.. all I see is a bunch of shit that I don't want to watch. Not to mention a TON of PAID PROGRAMMING. What horseshit. They promise a gazillion channels and 1/2 a gazillion are 24/7 ads. Fuck DTV.... and FUCK Costco too.
Yeah I feel the same and ditched DRTV and quickly went to Charter a while back. Then I came crying back to DRTV like a 5 year old runaway back to their mom
In other words Charter was so bad it made DRTV look good.

and FUCK Costco too. Laughing Laughing Laughing

RE: Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) - Juniper - 08-19-2018

(08-19-2018, 08:27 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Yeah I feel the same and ditched DRTV and quickly went to Charter a while back. Then I came crying back to DRTV like a 5 year old runaway back to their mom

Really?  I hated DRTV.  I actually really like Charter.  they are my internet also.  I think their customer service is awesome.  I downsized my television because I don't actually watch much cable TV.  I could even downsize it more but I think I'll just keep it there for now.

(08-19-2018, 08:39 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Really?  I hated DRTV.  I actually really like Charter.  they are my internet also.  I think their customer service is awesome.  I downsized my television because I don't actually watch much cable TV.  I could even downsize it more but I think I'll just keep it there for now.
I'm talking about television only I have Charter I've always had Charter for my internet I wouldn't have anything else unless it was faster. Anyway I'm not like you I do watch a lot of TV and Charter simply doesn't have the same capabilities as DirecTV there's a reason DirecTV cost so much more it's to it's just too bad their equipment is shity and their service  has lately been shity. I can't handle only being able to record three shows and watch one I really need to be 5 shows because most of the shows I like her on the same damn time

RE: Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) - GCG - 08-20-2018

(08-19-2018, 08:54 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-19-2018, 06:19 PM)tvguy Wrote: Cool. So you have the fire stick and direct TV? My TV i bought came with ROKU. There is a ton of stuff to watch and just like the old days. Totally fee but you have to watch commercials.

I'm talking about television only I have Charter I've always had Charter for my internet I wouldn't have anything else unless it was faster. Anyway I'm not like you I do watch a lot of TV and Charter simply doesn't have the same capabilities as DirecTV there's a reason DirecTV cost so much more it's to it's just too bad their equipment is shity and their service  has lately been shity. I can't handle only being able to record three shows and watch one I really need to be 5 shows because most of the shows I like her on the same damn time
Speaking of DTV... have you figured out how to clean up your DVRs? I liked being able to bring up a list of all recordings and then choose which ones you didn;t want and delete them all at once.

RE: Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) - GPnative - 08-20-2018

(08-19-2018, 06:19 PM)tvguy Wrote: Cool. So you have the fire stick and direct TV? My TV i bought came with ROKU. There is a ton of stuff to watch and just like the old days. Totally fee but you have to watch commercials.

What do you pay for charter internet? (you are welcome to tell me to F-off, it's none of my business Razz )
I've been on their site, etc, but I hate all the promo, fine print nonsense pricing, I want to know what the actual monthly is once all the promo shit is gone.

As far as TV goes, I have been with Dish for 20+ years. They have been great, I have had some truly great customer services experiences over the years, some not so good, but they always make it right in the end. Their new package options "Flex pack" has been great, allows you to add certain channel packs you want. The base flex pack for us is all we need, it has all the channels we like and we pay $40/mo. (with DVR, etc total monthly ends up just shy of $50.

RE: Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) - tvguy - 08-20-2018

(08-20-2018, 06:40 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(08-19-2018, 07:12 PM)GCG Wrote: I'm having the same problem with DTV and my recorded shows. It started after their last big update. My wife cancelled most of our DTV package when we got the Fire TV. We are like one step up from basic. When I scroll through the entire DTV guide.. all I see is a bunch of shit that I don't want to watch. Not to mention a TON of PAID PROGRAMMING. What horseshit. They promise a gazillion channels and 1/2 a gazillion are 24/7 ads. Fuck DTV.... and FUCK Costco too.

What do you pay for charter internet? (you are welcome to tell me to F-off, it's none of my business Razz )
I've been on their site, etc, but I hate all the promo, fine print nonsense pricing, I want to know what the actual monthly is once all the promo shit is gone.

As far as TV goes, I have been with Dish for 20+ years. They have been great, I have had some truly great customer services experiences over the years, some not so good, but they always make it right in the end. Their new package options "Flex pack" has been great, allows you to add certain channel packs you want. The base flex pack for us is all we need, it has all the channels we like and we pay $40/mo. (with DVR, etc total monthly ends up just shy of $50.

We pay $65 bucks for Charter. That's internet only.  My wife says she has looked at Dish TV and they don't offer anywhere near what DRTV has. Maybe I need to look myself Wink $50 a month sounds inviting but we have three TVs so that would undoubtedly make it cost more.

How many programs can you record at one time?

RE: Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) - GPnative - 08-20-2018

(08-20-2018, 01:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-20-2018, 06:40 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(08-19-2018, 08:27 PM)tvguy Wrote: Yeah I feel the same and ditched DRTV and quickly went to Charter a while back. Then I came crying back to DRTV like a 5 year old runaway back to their mom

We pay $65 bucks for Charter. That's internet only.  My wife says she has looked at Dish TV and they don't offer anywhere near what DRTV has. Maybe I need to look myself Wink $50 a month sounds inviting but we have three TVs so that would undoubtedly make it cost more.

How many programs can you record at one time?

technically 4, 2 of which can be locals only, but that's because I have the optional OTA tuner for locals installed. Without that, I would have to pay $12/mo for locals via satellite. (locals being considered a pack under the flex pack plan) My receiver is fairly old at this point, so if in fact it's still offered, out of the box it can DVR 2 programs at a time with no receiver charges for the single box. The latest and greatest receiver tech from Dish is their Hopper/Joey combos, I do not know much about them, but I know depending on the setup, there is a crazy amount of options for recording at once, up to 10+ programs I think.

edit to add: My single receiver can independently operate a second TV. We have a living room TV and TV in the bedroom. W/ the hopper/joey system, The sky is the limit, or your checkbook.