RogueValleyForum.com
Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) (/showthread.php?tid=17400)

RE: Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) - GPnative - 10-01-2016

Stranger things on Netflix is worth watching.

RE: Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) - Hugo - 10-01-2016

RE: Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) - Juniper - 10-01-2016

(10-01-2016, 05:27 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(10-01-2016, 05:25 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-01-2016, 05:07 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Detectorists has just returned to Netflix. At least two of us is happy about this.  Smiling
Three. But, if you are one and I am three, who is two?

Presumably you are two.

OK, cool. I didn't know if you meant someone else. Smiling

RE: Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) - Scrapper - 10-08-2016

The 25 Best Films of the 21st Century, And Where to Watch Them

http://lifehacker.com/the-25-best-films-of-the-21st-century-and-where-to-wat-1787365947?utm_campaign=socialflow_lifehacker_facebook&utm_source=lifehacker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

RE: Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) - tvguy - 10-08-2016

(10-08-2016, 09:14 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

http://lifehacker.com/the-25-best-films-of-the-21st-century-and-where-to-wat-1787365947?utm_campaign=socialflow_lifehacker_facebook&utm_source=lifehacker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Some one is nucking futs if they think 19. Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller, 2015) is one of the best movies made in the last 16 years

That movie was ridiculous Razz

RE: Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) - Juniper - 10-08-2016

Wow, that's a pretty eclectic list. I've seen about 13 of them...and of that I'm not sure I really liked some of them.

RE: Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) - Scrapper - 10-08-2016

(10-08-2016, 10:26 AM)Juniper Wrote:

Wow, that's a pretty eclectic list. I've seen about 13 of them...and of that I'm not sure I really liked some of them.

I think movies are such a personal thing... with me, usually when people rave about a movie I'm not impressed with it... and often when others don't like a movie, I do.

I looked this up and these 25 movies were chosen by the BBC. I think it's a ruse to get people to buy Netflix or Hulu.
Because there are several academy award winning movies that were made in this century that are not on that list.

(10-08-2016, 10:47 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

I think movies are such a personal thing... with me, usually when people rave about a movie I'm not impressed with it... and often when others don't like a movie, I do.
Definitely Smiling My wife hated Eternal sunshine and Lost in Translation. She said one was Jim Cary's worst ever and the other was Bill Murray's worst LOL.

I thought American sniper was just another half decent war movie.

(10-08-2016, 10:51 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-08-2016, 10:47 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

Definitely Smiling  My wife hated Eternal sunshine and Lost in Translation. She said one was Jim Cary's worst ever and the other was Bill Murray's worst LOL.

I thought American sniper was just another half decent war movie.

I did like Eternal Sunshine.  American Sniper? Is it on that list and I didn't notice?

(10-08-2016, 10:48 AM)tvguy Wrote:

I looked this up and these 25 movies were chosen by the BBC. I think it's a ruse to get people to buy Netflix or Hulu.
Because there are several academy award winning movies that were made in this century that are not on that list.

I didn't notice it was by BBC. But it's super eclectic even for my taste.

Quote:Because there are several academy award winning movies that were made in this century that are not on that list.

I don't know how much the academy awards should factor in. I thought Love and Mercy was a fantastic film and neither of the leads or the movie were even nominated.  I'm surprised Brie Larson won for Room. Which was a great movie also.  But dark.

RE: Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) - Hugo - 10-08-2016

(10-08-2016, 08:04 PM)Juniper Wrote:
Quote:Because there are several academy award winning movies that were made in this century that are not on that list.

I don't know how much the academy awards should factor in. I thought Love and Mercy was a fantastic film and neither of the leads or the movie were even nominated.  I'm surprised Brie Larson won for Room. Which was a great movie also.  But dark.

I'm not.

(10-08-2016, 08:08 PM)Hugo Wrote:

I'm not.

I should clarify. I think she deserved it. I'm surprised the Academy thought so.  They seem to be self indulgent and vote for the industry.

(10-08-2016, 08:12 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I'm not.

I should clarify. I think she deserved it. I'm surprised the Academy thought so.  They seem to be self indulgent and vote for the industry.

That would explain DiCaprio.  Great in his youth.  Now? Meh.

(10-08-2016, 08:31 PM)Hugo Wrote:

I'm not.

I think it's sometimes easy to see which people are well connected in the industry.  I think DiCaprio is one such. I think Billy Bob Thornton is another. But he's good. He was very well placed in the industry before he broke out as a big star. Same with Robert Downey Jr.  Anyone else would have tanked with that much drug use and scandal.  But after getting through it, Downey soared.  The industry was very ready to accept him back and I think his pedigree and connections are what saved him.

Actually, Johnny Depp is another. He's not really that talented. He can dial in some things really well, but not a lot of others...but he's very well connected and well liked in the industry.

(10-08-2016, 08:39 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-08-2016, 08:04 PM)Juniper Wrote: I don't know how much the academy awards should factor in. I thought Love and Mercy was a fantastic film and neither of the leads or the movie were even nominated.  I'm surprised Brie Larson won for Room. Which was a great movie also.  But dark.

I'm not.

I think it's sometimes easy to see which people are well connected in the industry.  I think DiCaprio is one such. I think Billy Bob Thornton is another. But he's good. He was very well placed in the industry before he broke out as a big star. Same with Robert Downey Jr.  Anyone else would have tanked with that much drug use and scandal.  But after getting through it, Downey soared.  The industry was very ready to accept him back and I think his pedigree and connections are what saved him.

No, Downey's SOBRIETY saved him.  Otherwise he would be a dead "who?"

RE: Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) - Juniper - 10-09-2016

(10-08-2016, 09:10 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(10-08-2016, 08:39 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-08-2016, 08:08 PM)Hugo Wrote: I'm not.

No, Downey's SOBRIETY saved him.  Otherwise he would be a dead "who?"
You might think that, but anyone else who had done as much shit as he had done wouldn't have had the comeback he had when sober. People really cared about him and he was well connected enough that the people who liked him were there to help him. out when he was high and when he was sober. He did the hard part. He got sober. But if he had been someone else, I doubt, personally, whether he would have been as successful in his comeback.

RE: Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) - Valuesize - 10-15-2016

(10-01-2016, 05:45 PM)GPnative Wrote: Stranger things on Netflix is worth watching.

Agree. It keeps me wanting to watching the next episode.