RogueValleyForum.com
Join The Resistance - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Debate (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: National and World News (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Join The Resistance (/showthread.php?tid=18168)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: Join The Resistance - orygunluvr - 01-18-2017

(01-18-2017, 02:14 PM)tvguy Wrote: Again. my president can beat up your president

No chance lol

RE: Join The Resistance - Wonky3 - 01-18-2017

(01-18-2017, 02:22 PM)orygunluvr Wrote:
(01-18-2017, 02:14 PM)tvguy Wrote: Again. my president can beat up your president

No chance lol

Today, my president is your president.
Friday, at noon, your president will be my president. 

When Jefferson was elected to the office on the 34th ballot*, the monarchs all over Europe marveled at our "change of power" without a shot fired or blood spilled. We should rejoice in the standards we have set that have been a model for democracies the world over. 

Mr Trump will be OUR president. Our other political institutions are still in place, our political parties active, State governments still with effective power, and "peoples movements" alive and well. 

We will get to see the Trump administration in action. 

...wait for it.  Wink

*The presidential election of 1800 is our subject this week. The candidates included President John Adams of the Federalist Party and Vice President Thomas Jefferson of the Republican Party. Here with our story are Frank Oliver and Shep O’Neal.
As president, John Adams was head of the Federalist Party. But the power of that position belonged, in fact, to former treasury secretary Alexander Hamilton.
For this and other reasons, Adams did not like Hamilton. He said: "Thomas Jefferson will be a good president, if elected. I would rather be a minister to Europe under Jefferson than to be a president controlled by Hamilton."

Hamilton did not like Adams. He did everything he could to block Adams from becoming president again. He gave his support to another Federalist candidate, Charles Cotesworth Pinckney of South Carolina.

Under the electoral system of that time, the candidate with the most votes became president. The candidate with the second highest number of votes became vice president.

A Federalist victory in the election of 1800 would not be easy. The Republicans had a very strong and popular candidate -- Thomas Jefferson. So, Federalist Party leaders attempted to change the electoral system.

The Constitution said state legislatures were to choose electors to vote for president. The Federalists tried to gain control over the legislatures' decisions.

They wanted Congress to create a special committee to rule if an elector had -- or did not have -- the right to vote. The committee could say if an elector's vote should be counted or thrown away.

The committee would have six members from the Senate and six members from the House of Representatives. The thirteenth member would be the chief justice of the United States. Creating such a committee violated the Constitution. Federalist leaders knew this. So, they wanted Congress to approve the committee, but keep the measure secret until after the election.
The Federalists held a majority of seats in the Senate. And the Senate voted to approve the proposal. But some Federalist members of the House of Representatives denounced it. They made many changes in the proposal. The Senate refused to accept the changes. Without agreement by both houses of Congress, the bill died.
Federalist leaders saw their hopes for an election victory begin to disappear.

By the summer of 1800, Thomas Jefferson's Republican Party had strong leaders in every state. It had many newspapers to express party ideas. Jefferson decided to take a holiday at Monticello, his farm in Virginia.

The Republican Party leader in New York was a lawyer, Aaron Burr. Burr had served as an officer under General George Washington during America's war for independence from Britain. After the war, he joined the Federalist Party and was elected to the United States Senate. Later, he changed parties and became a Republican.

In 1800, a group of both Federalists and Republicans supported him as a candidate for president.

Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton were bitter enemies. When Hamilton learned of a plan by his own party to elect Burr president, instead of Jefferson, his reaction was quick and sharp.

"Anybody," he said, "even Thomas Jefferson, is better than Aaron Burr. Jefferson is not dangerous. Burr is. Jefferson's ideas of government are wrong. But at least he is an honest man. Burr is a man without honesty and character. He will destroy America."

The president elected in 1800 would govern in a new capital city. The national government would move from Philadelphia to Washington, a newly built city in the District of Columbia. It was on the Potomac River between the states of Maryland and Virginia.

When President Adams and his wife Abigail arrived in Washington, D.C., they found a frontier town. There were few houses or streets. Mrs. Adams could not believe what she saw. She wrote to her daughter:
"This is a city only because we call it a city. Our house here is very big. But the rooms are not finished. There is almost no furniture. There are not enough lamps for light."
A street called Pennsylvania Avenue went from the president's house to the Capitol building where Congress would meet. On each side of the street -- where buildings stand today -- there were fields of mud.
This was the new federal city, the new capital of the United States. This was where the winner of the presidential election of 1800 would begin his term of office.
George Washington won America's first two presidential elections without opposition. John Adams won the third presidential election by three votes. This time, in 1800, there was no clear winner.
When the electors' votes were counted, President Adams had sixty-five votes. But Thomas Jefferson and Aaron Burr each had seventy-three votes. So, under the Constitution, the House of Representatives would choose between Jefferson or Burr -- the candidates with the highest number of votes.
Each congressman could vote. But each state had just one vote. That vote would go to the candidate supported by a majority of congressmen from the state. A candidate had to receive a majority of the state votes to win. In 1800, that was nine of the 16 states.
The Federalists saw the situation as their last chance to control the presidency. They had two plans. They would try to block the Congress from electing either Jefferson or Burr as president. Then they would try to find a way to put executive power in the hands of a Federalist. If that plan failed, they were prepared to elect Burr.
The Federalists tried to make people believe that Burr was working with them, against Jefferson. Burr denied this. In a letter to Jefferson, Burr wrote:
"Every Republican wants you to be president of the United States. Every good Republican wants to serve under you. I would be happy and honored to be your vice president. And, if you believe I could help you better in some other position, I would do so."
On February eleventh, the House of Representatives began to count votes, state by state. Eight states chose Jefferson. Six chose Burr. The representatives of two states -- Maryland and Vermont -- gave each man an equal number of votes. There was no majority within those states. So neither man won the votes of those states.
The voting continued. All that day and throughout the night the representatives voted. Twenty-seven times the count remained the same. Eight states for Jefferson. Six for Burr. Two undecided.
The next morning, the representatives decided to rest for four hours. The voting began again at noon. There was no change.
The thirteenth of February passed, then the fourteenth and fifteenth. Still no change. The House voted thirty-three times. It could not elect a president.
A change in the vote of just one congressman from Maryland or Vermont could decide the contest.
Later, after the election, the representative from Delaware said he had met with two congressmen from Maryland and one from Vermont. All were Federalists. All had voted for Aaron Burr.
The Delaware congressman said they claimed they spoke with a friend of Thomas Jefferson. He said they told Jefferson's friend they would change their votes, if Jefferson made certain promises.
Jefferson denied that he had made any political promises. He said many men tried to get promises from him. But he said he told them all that he would never become president with his hands tied.
History experts do not agree on what really happened. What is sure is that the House of Representatives voted for the thirty-sixth time on February seventeenth. Ten states, including Maryland and Vermont, voted for Thomas Jefferson. Four states voted for Aaron Burr.
Two states -- Delaware and South Carolina -- did not vote. But Jefferson had the majority he needed. He would be the new president.

RE: Join The Resistance - Hugo - 01-18-2017

(01-16-2017, 11:58 AM)Hugo Wrote: https://youtu.be/MHZSfhd1X_8

Here is your Resistance leaders at work.  Is there anyone here who agrees with their intended tactics?

Apparently none of you want to be associated with "The Resistance", or you just don't want to answer the question.  I will try a different question.

If the Resistance is successful with these tactics, should they be arrested and tried as Domestic Terrorists?

RE: Join The Resistance - Valuesize - 01-18-2017

(01-18-2017, 04:52 PM)Hugo Wrote: Apparently none of you want to be associated with "The Resistance", or you just don't want to answer the question.  I will try a different question.

If the Resistance is successful with these tactics, should they be arrested and tried as Domestic Terrorists?

I think people here are being more selective about answering your ridiculous questions.  Laughing 

I'll play. Of course not and of course. You may have had better luck with Leonard or Ponder in years gone by...

RE: Join The Resistance - cletus1 - 01-18-2017

(01-18-2017, 05:07 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(01-18-2017, 04:52 PM)Hugo Wrote: Apparently none of you want to be associated with "The Resistance", or you just don't want to answer the question.  I will try a different question.

I think people here are being more selective about answering your ridiculous questions.  Laughing 

I'll play. Of course not and of course. You may have had better luck with Leonard or Ponder in years gone by...

Yes it's a ridiculous question because it does not represent the resistance. 

It is the same old shit. Find a few outspoken people suggesting stupid stuff and claim they speak for all the people that are worried about Trump and that oppose his agenda.

RE: Join The Resistance - Hugo - 01-18-2017

(01-18-2017, 08:12 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

It is the same old shit. Find a few outspoken people suggesting stupid stuff and claim they speak for all the people that are worried about Trump and that oppose his agenda.

Well, I guess one of us in confused by this Topic.  What did you mean when you started it?  Because the people in the video are actually out there doing something, while you sit here and jabber about it.  So WTF is the "Resistance" if it isn't the ones out there DOING?

RE: Join The Resistance - Wonky3 - 01-18-2017

(01-18-2017, 08:40 PM)Hugo Wrote:

Well, I guess one of us in confused by this Topic.  What did you mean when you started it?  Because the people in the video are actually out there doing something, while you sit here and jabber about it.  So WTF is the "Resistance" if it isn't the ones out there DOING?

Hugo, an example of resistance is "The House" voting over 60 times to repeal the ACA. 
Resistance was when Sen. McCain had to correct the woman who at a rally said Mr. Obama was a Muslim. 
Resistance was when Rep. Walden voted against the bill to gut the law to enforce ethics in the congress. 
Resistance was when both Democrats and Republicans insisted that Gov. Kitzhaber resign from office. 
Resistance was when President Lincoln armed the U.S forces agains illegal acts by some of our states. 
Resistance was when our 13 Colonies rebeled against the tyranny of King George. 

Resistance, used properly, is a valuable tool of democracy. 

Some may, in time, feel it necessary to resist the policies of president Trump. It will be a domocratic act.

(01-18-2017, 08:40 PM)Hugo Wrote:

When Trump does something so wrong that I along with the majority of Americans are outraged by it. And when local or state groups form to fight and or refuse to comply with whatever it is, I will support the effort. Often I do that by contributing money to groups that have a plan to defeat some hateful or bigoted rule or law.  

Yeah, we all know that some people are already marching, I support them, but I am waiting for Trump to become president and act on some things. The resistance is more than marching. You probably did not click on some educational video I posted just for you. I think. 

Anyway, thanks for the pep talk. I needed that! Now I need to look into what I might do to help. I volunteered for phone duty to help get Obama elected so I'm not opposed to doing something. I'm off to find some organized effort worth supporting. You should be proud.

Here it is Hugo. The 100 days of resistance starts now.

RE: Join The Resistance - Hugo - 01-19-2017

http://www.vocativ.com/393923/disruptj20-donald-trump-inauguration-protest-activists-washington-dc/?

Do any of you believe that the peaceful transition of power that our elections promote is important?

RE: Join The Resistance - Wonky3 - 01-19-2017

(01-19-2017, 12:58 PM)Hugo Wrote: http://www.vocativ.com/393923/disruptj20-donald-trump-inauguration-protest-activists-washington-dc/?

Do any of you believe that the peaceful transition of power that our elections promote is important?

Where DO you find this stuff? God knows the Net is full of sites that will satisfiy what any one group would like to publish as The Truth. 
Well..
A lot of stuff reported there that is suspect 

And the important information comes at the top. 
At Activist Training Camp, Protesters Prep To Disrupt Inauguration

Six days before Donald Trump takes his oath of office, a group of activists met to plan how they'll voice their opposition

***************************************************************

Mr. Trump will be sworn in as our 45th president and while some folks will protest, it will happen, on schedule.

RE: Join The Resistance - Valuesize - 01-19-2017

(01-19-2017, 01:08 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(01-19-2017, 12:58 PM)Hugo Wrote: http://www.vocativ.com/393923/disruptj20-donald-trump-inauguration-protest-activists-washington-dc/?

Where DO you find this stuff? God knows the Net is full of sites that will satisfiy what any one group would like to publish as The Truth. 
Well..

Six days before Donald Trump takes his oath of office, a group of activists met to plan how they'll voice their opposition

Mr. Trump will be sworn in as our 45th president and while some folks will protest, it will happen, on schedule.

Did you click any links? What do you think about a bill like this? Trash.

Bill Would Let Drivers ‘Unintentionally’ Hit Protesters

A North Dakota bill written in response to the Standing Rock Dakota Access Pipeline protests would allow drivers to run over pedestrians in the road without legal or financial penalties, as long as it was unintentional.

Five state representatives and two senators introduced the bill, which, if passed in its current form, would protect drivers of motor vehicles who hit pedestrians from financial liability and legal ramifications if they hit a pedestrian who was “obstructing vehicular traffic” – even if the pedestrian is killed. The bill also states that pedestrians may not walk in the road at all if there is a sidewalk and must walk as close to the edge of a road as possible if there isn’t one, and yield the right of way to vehicles. The bill does not say if or how right of way rules would change if the pedestrian was in a crosswalk. North Dakota’s current law says drivers must yield to pedestrians in crosswalks if they are on the same half of the road as the vehicle approaching them.

(01-19-2017, 01:45 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

Well..

A North Dakota bill written in response to the Standing Rock Dakota Access Pipeline protests would allow drivers to run over pedestrians in the road without legal or financial penalties, as long as it was unintentional.

Five state representatives and two senators introduced the bill, which, if passed in its current form, would protect drivers of motor vehicles who hit pedestrians from financial liability and legal ramifications if they hit a pedestrian who was “obstructing vehicular traffic” – even if the pedestrian is killed. The bill also states that pedestrians may not walk in the road at all if there is a sidewalk and must walk as close to the edge of a road as possible if there isn’t one, and yield the right of way to vehicles. The bill does not say if or how right of way rules would change if the pedestrian was in a crosswalk. North Dakota’s current law says drivers must yield to pedestrians in crosswalks if they are on the same half of the road as the vehicle approaching them.

"Introducing" a bill in congress is as simple as getting cofee at Starbucks. 
Getting a bill out of committe and onto the floor is a whole different ball game.
This bill (HOUSE BILL NO. 120, The state of North Dakota) has about as much chance of passing and becoming law as I have of spending the weekend with Michelle Williams. 

Again, another example of where we get our information matters. 

RE: Join The Resistance - Valuesize - 01-19-2017

(01-19-2017, 02:06 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Well..

Getting a bill out of committe and onto the floor is a whole different ball game.
This bill (HOUSE BILL NO. 120, The state of North Dakota) has about as much chance of passing and becoming law as I have of spending the weekend with Michelle Williams. 

My information was gleaned from Larry's link.

(01-19-2017, 02:31 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(01-19-2017, 02:06 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Well..

My information was gleaned from Larry's link.

Yep...knew that. I just did not want to jump your post, so added the reply for continuity.

RE: Join The Resistance - chuck white - 01-19-2017

Well..

This would mean open season on pedestrians. I'm against that. They should issue a limited amount of tags.
(and maybe a size limit)

RE: Join The Resistance - Cuzz - 01-19-2017

(01-19-2017, 07:10 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Well..

This would mean open season on pedestrians. I'm against that. They should issue a limited amount of tags.
(and maybe a size limit)

Proves there are wack jobs on both sides of the podium.   Dry

RE: Join The Resistance - Valuesize - 01-20-2017

[/url][Image: 267748_138389669570695_1288213_n.jpg?oh=...e=5910EB77]
Joe Donlon (KGW-TV)

Dear Portland:
I know you're upset. I know you're disappointed. But I'm pleading with you - to keep it together today.
As you head out to protest, ask yourself a few questions. What are you trying to change? What is the best way to achieve that? Will your actions today lead to a positive outcome?
I support your right to protest. The entire city does. We have given you a long leash in the past. And frankly, some of you have abused it - to the tune of one million dollars in damage in the days after the election alone. Despite that, your fellow residents are already conceding the downtown core - in the name of your message. A message many of them agree with, by the way. Stores are closing early. TriMet buses and trains will likely be suspended. You have disrupted the day, before it begins.
Where you lose people, is when you shut down freeways, attack the infrastructure we all count on, and dare the Portland Police Bureau to take action and regain order.
My guess is, you will have the run of downtown streets. Use it wisely. Because I have a feeling if you start causing problems, we will see a different response from new Mayor Ted Wheeler . I would really rather not find out. But knowing our history, I fear many of you don't care either way.
Just know that your city DOES care. We're the ones who will be watching what you do in our living room. We're the ones who are impacted. We're the ones who pay for it in the end.
Have fun today, Portland. Make us proud. Not embarrassed.
Peaceful protest - is the bedrock of change. Torching our city - is the foundation of fools.

RE: Join The Resistance - Juniper - 01-20-2017

(01-20-2017, 02:59 PM)Valuesize Wrote: [/url][Image: 267748_138389669570695_1288213_n.jpg?oh=...e=5910EB77]
Joe Donlon (KGW-TV)

Dear Portland:
I know you're upset. I know you're disappointed. But I'm pleading with you - to keep it together today.
As you head out to protest, ask yourself a few questions. What are you trying to change? What is the best way to achieve that? Will your actions today lead to a positive outcome?
I support your right to protest. The entire city does. We have given you a long leash in the past. And frankly, some of you have abused it - to the tune of one million dollars in damage in the days after the election alone. Despite that, your fellow residents are already conceding the downtown core - in the name of your message. A message many of them agree with, by the way. Stores are closing early. TriMet buses and trains will likely be suspended. You have disrupted the day, before it begins.
Where you lose people, is when you shut down freeways, attack the infrastructure we all count on, and dare the Portland Police Bureau to take action and regain order.
My guess is, you will have the run of downtown streets. Use it wisely. Because I have a feeling if you start causing problems, we will see a different response from new Mayor Ted Wheeler . I would really rather not find out. But knowing our history, I fear many of you don't care either way.
Just know that your city DOES care. We're the ones who will be watching what you do in our living room. We're the ones who are impacted. We're the ones who pay for it in the end.
Peaceful protest - is the bedrock of change. Torching our city - is the foundation of fools.
I heard they were still too snowed in to make much of a racket.  True?

RE: Join The Resistance - Valuesize - 01-20-2017

(01-20-2017, 05:57 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(01-20-2017, 02:59 PM)Valuesize Wrote: [/url][Image: 267748_138389669570695_1288213_n.jpg?oh=...e=5910EB77]
Joe Donlon (KGW-TV)

Dear Portland:
I heard they were still too snowed in to make much of a racket.  True?

All the snow has melted. Evidently they have "special" hats.  Big Grin

[Image: pussyhat-project-537x403.jpg]