RogueValleyForum.com
DIY ant bait - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Debate (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: DIY ant bait (/showthread.php?tid=19101)

DIY ant bait - chuck white - 02-20-2019

Every time we get the big rains, ants invade the house. They don't seem to do much, but walk around. They don't seem to be collecting anything.  I found out about a great remedy, easy to make. I just put a pinch where they seem to be hanging out. They eat on it a bit, and next day they are gone. So safe I would put it in my coffee. Simple mix 50-50 sugar and baking soda. Just mix it up and they seem to eat both. I thing they can't burp and explode.

RE: DIY ant bait - Juniper - 02-20-2019

Or sugar and borax

RE: DIY ant bait - bbqboy - 02-20-2019

Hot sauce and bay leaves.

RE: DIY ant bait - GPnative - 02-20-2019

(02-20-2019, 12:19 AM)chuck white Wrote: Every time we get the big rains, ants invade the house. They don't seem to do much, but walk around. They don't seem to be collecting anything.  I found out about a great remedy, easy to make. I just put a pinch where they seem to be hanging out. They eat on it a bit, and next day they are gone. So safe I would put it in my coffee. Simple mix 50-50 sugar and baking soda. Just mix it up and they seem to eat both. I thing they can't burp and explode.

We get weird ants like that about once or twice a year also. I call them "crazy ants" they seem to do nothing but meander around like they've had too much to drink. I use this stuff, and it is by far the best ant bait I have ever used, and the most convenient delivery method. I like it cause they take it back to the colony and share.

combat ant gel

(02-20-2019, 06:53 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Hot sauce and bay leaves.

They come and eat the hotsauce and bay leaves?  Your ants are gourmands.

This thread is a good reminder to start setting out the Terro. If I do it early, I usually won't get ants for the rest of the year.

(02-20-2019, 09:44 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 06:53 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Hot sauce and bay leaves.

They come and eat the hotsauce and bay leaves?  Your ants are gourmands.

They hate both of them. Doesn’t kill them but does repel them.

RE: DIY ant bait - Cuzz - 02-20-2019

(02-20-2019, 12:19 AM)chuck white Wrote: .... I thing they can't burp and explode.

Now there's a visual!   Laughing

RE: DIY ant bait - tvguy - 02-20-2019

(02-20-2019, 09:45 AM)Juniper Wrote: This thread is a good reminder to start setting out the Terro. If I do it early, I usually won't get ants for the rest of the year.

That's what we use. I only get ants in our kitchen, piss ants LOL. We put the Terro out, which is borax and I guess sugar and they disappear.

If I find a million of them under a piece of plywood or anywhere else out side I use Awesome Orange I get from the dollar store. I use it all summer long for wasps also.

Side note.... I found out that drywall dust keeps insects away. I was pulling up carpet right next to my living room walls and I noticed that some areas still had a drywall dust and NO bugs. Unlike The areas without the dust.
I have new carpet and when I install it I'm going to sprinkle borax all along the tack strips that are along the walls I didn't build
When I put up a wall I put roofing tar between the the bottom pressure treated plate and the concrete.

(02-20-2019, 05:04 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 09:45 AM)Juniper Wrote: This thread is a good reminder to start setting out the Terro. If I do it early, I usually won't get ants for the rest of the year.

That's what we use. I only get ants in our kitchen, piss ants LOL. We put the Terro out, which is borax and I guess sugar and they disappear.

If I find a million of them under a piece of plywood or anywhere else out side I use Awesome Orange I get from the dollar store. I use it all summer long for wasps also.

Side note.... I found out that drywall dust keeps insects away. I was pulling up carpet right next to my living room walls and I noticed that some areas still had a drywall dust and NO bugs. Unlike The areas without the dust.
I have new carpet and when I install it I'm going to sprinkle borax all along the tack strips that are along the walls I didn't build
When I put up a wall I put roofing tar between the the bottom pressure treated plate and the concrete.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qC0H6mPyfZA

(02-20-2019, 05:34 PM)bbqboy Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 05:04 PM)tvguy Wrote:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qC0H6mPyfZA

Funny. I like to watch old westerns sometimes when nothing else is on. But Death Valley days is just too lame LOL.
OK they are all lame but that show is just TOO lame.

Now we're in old tv westerns. Right on!

I’ve been watching Highway Patrol, Sea Hunt, and Bat Masterson
from 4:00 to 5:30.
Good stuff.
77 Sunset Strip too.

(02-20-2019, 08:07 PM)bbqboy Wrote: I’ve been watching Highway Patrol, Sea Hunt, and Bat Masterson
Good stuff.
77 Sunset Strip too.

LOL  I'll have to see if I get Highway Patrol and Sea Hunt. I never liked Gene Barry for some reason.

I've been watching Maverick. Some of the shows are very clever and way more cerebral than most Westerns.

I watched an episode of High Chaparral the other day and it was like a Movie complete with orchestra music and most filming was not in a studio.
It was very good. Must have been a season opener.

(02-20-2019, 08:37 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 08:07 PM)bbqboy Wrote: I’ve been watching Highway Patrol, Sea Hunt, and Bat Masterson
Good stuff.
77 Sunset Strip too.

LOL  I'll have to see if I get Highway Patrol and Sea Hunt. I never liked Gene Barry for some reason.

I've been watching Maverick. Some of the shows are very clever and way more cerebral than most Westerns.

I watched an episode of High Chaparral the other day and it was like a Movie complete with orchestra music and most filming was not in a studio.
It was very good. Must have been a season opener.
I seem to remember High Chaparral having good scenic shots.