RogueValleyForum.com
Corona virus - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Debate (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: Corona virus (/showthread.php?tid=19209)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

RE: Corona virus - GPnative - 03-12-2020

(03-12-2020, 07:08 AM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 05:42 AM)Someones Dad Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 11:47 PM)tvguy Wrote: I want to take theses words and shove then down the throats of all the fucking right wing morons who have said over and over........ The corona virus is no different than the coon flu.

Coronavirus 10 times more lethal than seasonal flu, top health official says
Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said the outbreak will get worse and warned the U.S. must take serious mitigation efforts.
https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/487086-coronavirus-10-times-more-lethal-than-seasonal

I for one, have never said it.  But moving on to the rest of Fauci's briefing, he also said it's fatality rate is 1%, not the 2 or 3% that has been feared, so that is a 100-200% improvement in projections.
Stlll could be 2%, '10 times worse' is a statement the public can relate too. If he had said ''20 times worse', he would have lost half of the American public.
Certainly Trump would have been confused.

Yes, and a lot of the fatality rate depends heavily on other factors, if the health care system reaches critical mass and beyond, the CFR goes freight train. If you slow the spread and keep health care facilities in check, than hopefully 1% or even less is what we are dealing with.

RE: Corona virus - tornado - 03-12-2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncw3-ZvKEA8
10 Herbs That Kill Viruses and Clear Mucus from Your Lungs

RE: Corona virus - Someones Dad - 03-12-2020

(03-12-2020, 07:40 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 11:47 PM)tvguy Wrote: I want to take theses words and shove then down the throats of all the fucking right wing morons who have said over and over........ The corona virus is no different than the coon flu.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said the outbreak will get worse and warned the U.S. must take serious mitigation efforts.
https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/487086-coronavirus-10-times-more-lethal-than-seasonal

I for one, have never said it.  But moving on to the rest of Fauci's briefing, he also said it's fatality rate is 1%, not the 2 or 3% that has been feared, so that is a 100-200% improvement in projections.
Stlll could be 2%, '10 times worse' is a statement the public can relate too. If he had said ''20 times worse', he would have lost half of the American public.

Yes, and a lot of the fatality rate depends heavily on other factors, if the health care system reaches critical mass and beyond, the CFR goes freight train. If you slow the spread and keep health care facilities in check, than hopefully 1% or even less is what we are dealing with.

Another thing Fauci has been saying all along is, the travel ban from China in January is paramount to our relatively low amounts of people with COVID-19.  A lot of lives were probably saved by that one move.  Italy (and other European countries) did not close travel from China in as timely a fashion, and their epidemic is the result.

RE: Corona virus - Cuzz - 03-12-2020

(03-12-2020, 10:23 AM)Someones Dad Wrote:

Another thing Fauci has been saying all along is, the travel ban from China in January is paramount to our relatively low amounts of people with COVID-19.  A lot of lives were probably saved by that one move.  Italy (and other European countries) did not close travel from China in as timely a fashion, and their epidemic is the result.

Maybe. But until they start testing we'll never know what our infection rate and relatedly, what our fatality rates actually are. Best not to toot horns that aren't made yet.

I find it ironic that China was castigated for their inadequate COVID-19 response when our effort appears so amateurish.

(03-12-2020, 10:45 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 05:42 AM)Someones Dad Wrote: I for one, have never said it.  But moving on to the rest of Fauci's briefing, he also said it's fatality rate is 1%, not the 2 or 3% that has been feared, so that is a 100-200% improvement in projections.

Maybe. But until they start testing we'll never know what our infection rate and relatedly, what our fatality rates actually are. Best not to toot horns that aren't made yet.

I find it ironic that China was castigated for their inadequate COVID-19 response when our effort appears so amateurish.

A+

From here: https://www.kgw.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/gov-brown-to-address-mass-gatherings-social-distancing-at-thursday-news-conference/283-66dbee7a-1a14-4537-a4c1-fbd2644eec36

Oregon Health Authority officials estimate there are about 150-250 cases in Oregon right now. With cases potentially doubling each week, this could mean 75,000 cases in Oregon by mid-May, if we don't implement social distancing policies such as the large crowd ban. 
The state still has a capacity of about 80 COVID-19 tests per day, but that could change in the future, according to OHA. The number varies for private labs.
"We are concerned about our testing capacity," Brown said. "We’re working with HHS and federal partners, but the federal government is the only one who can expand our testing capacity. We are calling on them to do that."

--------------

80 tests per day is ABYSMAL, There is NO excuse for this.

Corona virus - Scrapper - 03-12-2020

"80 tests per day is ABYSMAL, There is NO excuse for this."

Absofreakinlutely!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RE: Corona virus - tornado - 03-12-2020

(03-12-2020, 05:42 AM)Someones Dad Wrote: I for one, have never said it.  But moving on to the rest of Fauci's briefing, he also said it's fatality rate is 1%, not the 2 or 3% that has been feared, so that is a 100-200% improvement in projections.

But China hid the severity of the outbreak, wouldn't allow US observers into the country for observation https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/china-hid-the-severity-of-its-coronavirus-outbreak-and-muzzled-whistleblowers-because-it-can/ar-BBZQL8Q

(03-12-2020, 01:47 PM)tornado Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 07:08 AM)chuck white Wrote: Stlll could be 2%, '10 times worse' is a statement the public can relate too. If he had said ''20 times worse', he would have lost half of the American public.

But China hid the severity of the outbreak, wouldn't allow US observers into the country for observation https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/china-hid-the-severity-of-its-coronavirus-outbreak-and-muzzled-whistleblowers-because-it-can/ar-BBZQL8Q

Yea, so are we.....The CDC tested a whopping 77 people this week*, after 2 months to prepare.
*Statistically insignificant

RE: Corona virus - Cuzz - 03-12-2020

(03-12-2020, 01:47 PM)tornado Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 07:08 AM)chuck white Wrote: Stlll could be 2%, '10 times worse' is a statement the public can relate too. If he had said ''20 times worse', he would have lost half of the American public.

True 'nough. But for some reason we're not testing to find out the severity of our own problem. Each week millions of additional testing kits are promised ... for next week. Wash, rinse, repeat.

No testing, no reliable numbers. Can you think of a reason?

RE: Corona virus - chuck white - 03-12-2020

Quote:Some people who get the coronavirus could be contagious for a lot longer than the two-week quarantine period that many countries are using, a new study says.

Researchers looking at cases in China say patients could spread the virus for up to 37 days after they start showing symptoms, according to the study published in the British medical journal The Lancet.

So if I had the covid, which I feel better now and am out and about, because our county health official told me to consider it a normal flu. I could be infecting people for a month.

It's not that I didn't ask to be tested. I was turned down.

I can tell you that this bout with the flu was like no other I ever had. It was without a running nose and nasal congestion. It took a long time to come on to the point I was  having breathing issues.  It seems to linger a long time since, I got a fever and the fever broke. I generally consider my fever breaking has an end to the flu.

The timing of the flu , starting mid February, was also a suspect.
We'll see if the older people that are around me, start dropping in a week or so. That would be a big clue.

RE: Corona virus - Juniper - 03-12-2020

(03-12-2020, 05:25 PM)chuck white Wrote:
Quote:Some people who get the coronavirus could be contagious for a lot longer than the two-week quarantine period that many countries are using, a new study says.

Researchers looking at cases in China say patients could spread the virus for up to 37 days after they start showing symptoms, according to the study published in the British medical journal The Lancet.

So if I had the covid, which I feel better now and am out and about, because our county health official told me to consider it a normal flu. I could be infecting people for a month.

I can tell you that this bout with the flu was like no other I ever had. It was without a running nose and nasal congestion. It took a long time to come on to the point I was  having breathing issues.  It seems to linger a long time since, I got a fever and the fever broke. I generally consider my fever breaking has an end to the flu.

We'll see if the older people that are around me, start dropping in a week or so. That would be a big clue.
Well, I'm confused by this virus. Is it a virus?  Or a flu?  Because for flu you receive antibiotics. They are calling this a virus but say it has a fever and comparing it to a flu.  What am I missing?

(03-12-2020, 09:20 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 05:25 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Well, I'm confused by this virus. Is it a virus?  Or a flu?  Because for flu you receive antibiotics. They are calling this a virus but say it has a fever and comparing it to a flu.  What am I missing?
Flues and colds are caused by viruses. Antibiotics will not help

bacteria cause illness like strep throat, food poisoning, infections , appendicitis is a bacterial infections, some ear aches

So, I collecting some samples of the flu and freezing them.
You never know when a bio weapon might come in handy.

RE: Corona virus - GPnative - 03-13-2020

And schools are closed (this is a move i wholeheartedly agree with)

RE: Corona virus - chuck white - 03-13-2020

Trump is deflecting again.

Quote:"Facts: The Obama administration tested 1 million people for H1N1 in the first month after the first US diagnosed case," he said. "The first US #coronavirus case was 50+ days ago. And we haven't even tested 10,000 people yet."
https://www.newsweek.com/bidens-ex-chief-staff-responds-trump-attack-swine-flu-handling-comparing-coronavirus-test-1492150

RE: Corona virus - GPnative - 03-13-2020

(03-13-2020, 06:44 AM)chuck white Wrote: Trump is deflecting again.

Quote:"Facts: The Obama administration tested 1 million people for H1N1 in the first month after the first US diagnosed case," he said. "The first US #coronavirus case was 50+ days ago. And we haven't even tested 10,000 people yet."
https://www.newsweek.com/bidens-ex-chief-staff-responds-trump-attack-swine-flu-handling-comparing-coronavirus-test-1492150

If you don't test you can support some really great numbers, the best numbers, really not yuge numbers.

Corona virus - Scrapper - 03-13-2020

[Image: 264fad56306726acf423a822cd8c6f32.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RE: Corona virus - tornado - 03-13-2020

(03-13-2020, 06:44 AM)chuck white Wrote: Trump is deflecting again.

Facts: Obama flubbed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_in_the_United_States

The 2009 flu pandemic in the United States was a novel strain of the Influenza A/H1N1 virus, commonly referred to as "swine flu", that began in the spring of 2009. The virus had spread to the US from an outbreak in Mexico.[116]

As of mid-March 2010, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that about 59 million Americans contracted the H1N1 virus, 265,000 were hospitalized as a result, and 12,000 died.[117] [118