RogueValleyForum.com
Medford/Ashland fires - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Debate (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Local News and Culture (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Medford/Ashland fires (/showthread.php?tid=19264)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Medford/Ashland fires - tvguy - 09-18-2020

(09-17-2020, 09:52 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 09:00 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 06:47 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-16-2020, 09:26 PM)Juniper Wrote: Today they had a press conference that confirmed that EAS was never given and the JaCo Sheriff alert was inconsistent.  At least we know it's being addressed.  The reporters said the interview was tense.   Probably meaning defensive.  Sheriff Sickler, who I like, doesn't feel that this is the time to address this since the emergency isn't over. That there is time after big events to assess and review what went well and what went wrong, and pointed out that law enforcement went into burning buildings to save people.  And that is the 'best kind of evacuation'.  I think I disagree with him on that point.  I do agree that there should be a time for a thorough investigation into this.  Apparently the same thing happened in Paradise.  What did we learn?  I can't agree that being pulled out of your burning home with no time to gather things and pets is the 'best' evacuation.  Nor do I believe that we should not be at least be putting a contingency plan into effect.  The State is burning.  I don't think we have time for a cozy chat up at a more convenient time.  It's unlikely, but it's possible another event could occur, and having at least a solid plan for how to notify citizens should be looked at.  I saw someone on Facebook suggest we have old fashioned air raid sirens for small towns like these. Sounds like at least it would have alerted people there was an urgent emergency.

I saw a small snip of that press conference on the news. He seemed very defensive, and kicking the can down the road for a future discussion is the sign of someone trying to come up with reasons why the shit failed so miserably in order to save face.

Save face? That implies the sheriff did something wrong. I don't think the fact that there were no  EAS warnings has nothing to do with the sheriff.

I imagine Sickler is exhausted and frustrated.  The last thing he needs is to be under the gun when he's trying to do his job. His choice of words was lacking but you can't be perfect. When you are working as hard as you can and don't feel appreciated it comes out that way.  His office was not the reason EAS wasn't sent.  And he is probably right. EAS would have perhaps been worse in terms of gridlock.
EAS would have perhaps been worse in terms of gridlock.

We will never know if that's true. But it seems to me like the earlier the warning the better.

RE: Medford/Ashland fires - GPnative - 09-18-2020

(09-18-2020, 02:03 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 06:03 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 03:46 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 03:11 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 02:06 PM)tvguy Wrote:   No mention of the cause? This was 8 days ago.....

A criminal investigation is underway at the origin point of the Almeda fire in Ashland, where human remains were found, Jackson County Sheriff Nate Sickler said Wednesday.
The Jackson County Major Assault and Death Investigation Unit is at the early stages of an “active criminal investigation,” Sickler said at a press conference Wednesday afternoon.
“We are still in the early stages,” Sickler said. “Nothing’s been ruled out — it’s still an active investigation.”
It may not be the only fatality, according to Sickler.
The fire started at 11:04 a.m. Tuesday during a red flag fire weather warning and started spreading “at an extreme rate,” Sickler said.

https://mailtribune.com/news/top-stories/sheriff-confirms-death-investigation-where-almeda-fire-started

"nothings been ruled out" .....except for Antifa or other such individual(s) with malicious intent however......

Oh, please!! That is such a stretch.

Perhaps, but you cant rule out arson, which is certainly malicious.
I have never heard one single person rule out Arson. As a matter of fact that was the conclusion from day one.

Not true, it took several days for anyone to even utter the words in the local news,The first few days they wanted us to believe high winds and heat worked to create spontaneous combustion I guess.

RE: Medford/Ashland fires - Cuzz - 09-18-2020

(09-18-2020, 02:06 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-18-2020, 06:32 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 03:11 PM)GPnative Wrote: "nothings been ruled out" .....except for Antifa or other such individual(s) with malicious intent however......

Arson is most likely, intentional or otherwise. I don't remember any lightning around that time so not weather related.

This was reported 8 days ago

[/url]
Arson investigation underway where human remains found at Almeda fire in Ashland, chief says

[Image: image.php?type=thumbnail_80x80&url=https...cd1c99.png]
The Oregonian
8d

[Image: 45NXF9_0WvqeYSo00?type=thumbnail_1024x576]
Authorities are investigating the Almeda fire as an arson after discovering [url=https://www.newsbreak.com/channels/human-remains]human remains in Ashland, the city police chief said. The Jackson County’s Major Assault/Death Investigation Unit is investigating the nature of the death of the person found, according to Ashland Police Chief Tighe O’Meara. The unit draws detectives from...

OK. Interesting that no mention was made on our local news. Or if it was I missed it.

(09-18-2020, 02:40 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 03:11 PM)GPnative Wrote: "nothings been ruled out" .....except for Antifa or other such individual(s) with malicious intent however......

I have never heard one single person rule out Arson. As a matter of fact that was the conclusion from day one.

Not true, it took several days for anyone to even utter the words in the local news,The first few days they wanted us to believe high winds and heat worked to create spontaneous combustion I guess.
I don't know what you are talking about. They reported the arson and homicide TWO DAYS after the Almeda fire started.
I just posted the news article from sep 10 the fire started on the 8th.

they wanted us to believe high winds and heat worked to create spontaneous combustion I guess
"They"?  I never heard anything close to that othe than nitwits claiming it was antifa

(09-18-2020, 03:55 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 03:46 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Oh, please!! That is such a stretch.

Arson is most likely, intentional or otherwise. I don't remember any lightning around that time so not weather related.

[/url]
Arson investigation underway where human remains found at Almeda fire in Ashland, chief says

The Oregonian
8d

Authorities are investigating the Almeda fire as an arson after discovering human remains in Ashland, the city police chief said. The Jackson County’s Major Assault/Death Investigation Unit is investigating the nature of the death of the person found, according to Ashland Police Chief Tighe O’Meara. The unit draws detectives from...

OK. Interesting that no mention was made on our local news. Or if it was I missed it.

You missed it LOL. This was channel 12

Police: Almeda Fire's origin and recovered body the subject of a criminal investigation [url=https://www.kdrv.com/content/news/Police-Almeda-Fires-origin-and-recovered-body-part-of-a-criminal-investigation-572373891.html#]
[Image: Ashland+Fire+smoke.JPG]
The Ashland Police Department confirmed on Thursday that the origins of the devastating Almeda Fire are under criminal investigation, connected with the death confirmed previously.
Posted: Sep 10, 2020 1:30 PM
Updated: Sep 10, 2020 2:36 PM
Posted By: Jamie Parfitt
AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to Facebook
Share to TwitterShare to Email
ASHLAND, Ore. — The origins of the devastating Almeda Drive Fire that tore through Talent and Phoenix are under criminal investigation, connected to the recovery of a body in the area.
Jackson County Sheriff Nathan Sickler confirmed on Wednesday that a body had been discovered near the origin of the fire in north Ashland, saying that the death was the subject of an "active criminal investigation." However, it wasn't clear at the time if the beginnings of

RE: Medford/Ashland fires - Cuzz - 09-18-2020

(09-18-2020, 05:18 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 06:03 PM)GPnative Wrote: Perhaps, but you cant rule out arson, which is certainly malicious.

[/url]

The Oregonian
8d

Authorities are investigating the Almeda fire as an arson after discovering human remains in Ashland, the city police chief said. The Jackson County’s Major Assault/Death Investigation Unit is investigating the nature of the death of the person found, according to Ashland Police Chief Tighe O’Meara. The unit draws detectives from...

Police: Almeda Fire's origin and recovered body the subject of a criminal investigation [url=https://www.kdrv.com/content/news/Police-Almeda-Fires-origin-and-recovered-body-part-of-a-criminal-investigation-572373891.html#]
The Ashland Police Department confirmed on Thursday that the origins of the devastating Almeda Fire are under criminal investigation, connected with the death confirmed previously.
AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to Facebook
ASHLAND, Ore. — The origins of the devastating Almeda Drive Fire that tore through Talent and Phoenix are under criminal investigation, connected to the recovery of a body in the area.
Jackson County Sheriff Nathan Sickler confirmed on Wednesday that a body had been discovered near the origin of the fire in north Ashland, saying that the death was the subject of an "active criminal investigation." However, it wasn't clear at the time if the beginnings of

Interesting. Wonder why they haven't been repeating that on every broadcast ad nauseam like they usually do.

RE: Medford/Ashland fires - tvguy - 09-19-2020

(09-18-2020, 06:08 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-18-2020, 06:32 AM)Cuzz Wrote: Arson is most likely, intentional or otherwise. I don't remember any lightning around that time so not weather related.

[/url]

The Oregonian
8d

AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to Facebook

Interesting. Wonder why they haven't been repeating that on every broadcast ad nauseam like they usually do.
I guess because  there is so much more news about the Almeda fire , evacuation levels, road blocks, video, near death escapes businesses, people barely making it out alive, Toxic debri. looters, not to mention all the other fires and covid 19

RE: Medford/Ashland fires - GPnative - 09-19-2020

(09-17-2020, 06:03 PM)GPnative Wrote: Perhaps, but you cant rule out arson, which is certainly malicious.

[/url]

The Oregonian
8d

AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to Facebook

Thank you, I rest my case. The Oregonian did not shy away from details and actually had the balls to say "arson", like I referred to before regarding local media, i.e. chan 12, reported a body was found near the origin, but that's it, no mention of arson. A body being found near the origin w/out connecting it to possible arson is pretty much meaningless, Perhaps a sleeping homeless person was caught up in the fire?

And I stand by what I said, no mention of arson or foul play until recently from local media. To hear them report in those first couple days you'd think it was heat and wind that magically ignited.

RE: Medford/Ashland fires - Juniper - 09-19-2020

(09-18-2020, 02:40 PM)GPnative Wrote:

No....I was hearing Arson from the get go. Sept 8.  As soon as I started to hear things I was hearing arson.

RE: Medford/Ashland fires - Juniper - 09-19-2020

I'm actually surprised they aren't finding bodies on the Greenway.  I thought they would.  This story posted by Phoenix Mayor, shows why it could have happened. https://www.facebook.com/mayorchris.luz/posts/109358574250594

Quote:As I was meeting with Sheriff Sickler at Rays today I ran into two local residents that spend a lot of time on the Greenway. They needed a ride to Rogue Credit Union to replace lost account info. While driving there, Ryan and Candy told me that they were on the Greenway near Blue Heron Park when the fire came in. They could not get out of the fire's path. They went into Bear Creek, grabbed onto a root while the fire raged above them. They wrapped some cloth around their faces so they could come up for air and not get burned. OMG. Ryan and Candy (she can barely walk without pain) are true survivors. Count your blessing my friends.

RE: Medford/Ashland fires - Cuzz - 09-20-2020

(09-19-2020, 10:33 PM)Juniper Wrote: I'm actually surprised they aren't finding bodies on the Greenway.  I thought they would.  This story posted by Phoenix Mayor, shows why it could have happened. https://www.facebook.com/mayorchris.luz/posts/109358574250594

Quote:As I was meeting with Sheriff Sickler at Rays today I ran into two local residents that spend a lot of time on the Greenway. They needed a ride to Rogue Credit Union to replace lost account info. While driving there, Ryan and Candy told me that they were on the Greenway near Blue Heron Park when the fire came in. They could not get out of the fire's path. They went into Bear Creek, grabbed onto a root while the fire raged above them. They wrapped some cloth around their faces so they could come up for air and not get burned. OMG. Ryan and Candy (she can barely walk without pain) are true survivors. Count your blessing my friends.

I had the same thought. I'm wondering now if that news just hasn't trickled out yet. The reporting was pretty flimsy.

RE: Medford/Ashland fires - tvguy - 09-20-2020

(09-19-2020, 04:58 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-18-2020, 06:32 AM)Cuzz Wrote: Arson is most likely, intentional or otherwise. I don't remember any lightning around that time so not weather related.

[/url]

The Oregonian
8d

Police: Almeda Fire's origin and recovered body the subject of a criminal investigation

AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to Facebook

Thank you, I rest my case. The Oregonian did not shy away from details and actually had the balls to say "arson", like I referred to before regarding local media, i.e. chan 12, reported a body was found near the origin, but that's it, no mention of arson. A body being found near the origin w/out connecting it to possible arson is pretty much meaningless, Perhaps a sleeping homeless person was caught up in the fire?

And I stand by what I said, no mention of arson or foul play until recently from local media. To hear them report in those first couple days you'd think it was heat and wind that magically ignited.

And I stand by what I said, no mention of arson or foul play until recently from local media

Really you read this and don't think of foul play??? "ASHLAND, Ore. — The origins of the devastating Almeda Drive Fire that tore through Talent and Phoenix are under criminal investigation, connected to the recovery of a body in the area.:"

And this was TWO days after the almeda fire......

Ashland PD: Almeda Fire is being investigated as arson Channel 10 LOCAL news https://ktvl.com/news/local/breaking-almeda-numbers-3200-acres-0-containment-600-homes-distroyed

by KTVL
Thursday, September 10th 2020

[Image: sbg-gallery_w.svg]
VIEW ALL PHOTOS

[url=https://ktvl.com/news/local/gallery/breaking-almeda-numbers-3200-acres-0-containment-600-homes-distroyed]
Burned car at Talent car wash on 214 N Pacific Hwy on Sept 10.
[Image: facebook.svg][Image: twitter.svg][email=?subject=Ashland%20PD:%20Almeda%20Fire%20is%20being%20investigated%20as%20arson%20&body=Here%20is%20a%20ktvl.com%20article%20that%20you%20might%20like%20%0A%0Ahttps://ktvl.com/news/local/breaking-almeda-numbers-3200-acres-0-containment-600-homes-distroyed][Image: email.svg][/email]

JACKSON COUNTY, Ore. — The Ashland Police confirmed today that the devastating Almeda fire, that has burned 3200 acres in residential areas of Phoenix, Talent, parts of North Ashland and South Medford destroying hundreds of homes, is being investigated as arson.
When asked about what evidence points to arson Ashland Police chief, Tighe O'Meara said, “I would not be open to discussing that right now.”
He noted that investigations into the suspected arson began as early as Tuesday afternoon when the fire broke out.

I'm sorry GP but you are going to have to lose your conspiracy theory that you apparently want to believe so badly.
That our leaders are trying to hide the fact that This Almeda fire was arson. Rolling Eyes
What do you really think? That Antifa and BLM are running all over the west starting fires and our leaders are trying to hide this from the public?

(09-19-2020, 10:33 PM)Juniper Wrote: I'm actually surprised they aren't finding bodies on the Greenway.  I thought they would.  This story posted by Phoenix Mayor, shows why it could have happened. https://www.facebook.com/mayorchris.luz/posts/109358574250594

IMO most people on the greenway were more likely to hear the fire or see smoke and simply run than people inside houses. BTW the link doesn't work.

RE: Medford/Ashland fires - GPnative - 09-20-2020

(09-20-2020, 01:53 PM)tvguy Wrote:

[/url]

The Oregonian
8d

Police: Almeda Fire's origin and recovered body the subject of a criminal investigation

AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to Facebook

And I stand by what I said, no mention of arson or foul play until recently from local media

Really you read this and don't think of foul play??? "ASHLAND, Ore. — The origins of the devastating Almeda Drive Fire that tore through Talent and Phoenix are under criminal investigation, connected to the recovery of a body in the area.:"

Ashland PD: Almeda Fire is being investigated as arson Channel 10 LOCAL news https://ktvl.com/news/local/breaking-almeda-numbers-3200-acres-0-containment-600-homes-distroyed

by KTVL

VIEW ALL PHOTOS

[url=https://ktvl.com/news/local/gallery/breaking-almeda-numbers-3200-acres-0-containment-600-homes-distroyed]
[Image: facebook.svg][Image: twitter.svg][email=?subject=Ashland%20PD:%20Almeda%20Fire%20is%20being%20investigated%20as%20arson%20&body=Here%20is%20a%20ktvl.com%20article%20that%20you%20might%20like%20%0A%0Ahttps://ktvl.com/news/local/breaking-almeda-numbers-3200-acres-0-containment-600-homes-distroyed][Image: email.svg][/email]

JACKSON COUNTY, Ore. — The Ashland Police confirmed today that the devastating Almeda fire, that has burned 3200 acres in residential areas of Phoenix, Talent, parts of North Ashland and South Medford destroying hundreds of homes, is being investigated as arson.
When asked about what evidence points to arson Ashland Police chief, Tighe O'Meara said, “I would not be open to discussing that right now.”
He noted that investigations into the suspected arson began as early as Tuesday afternoon when the fire broke out.

I'm sorry GP but you are going to have to lose your conspiracy theory that you apparently want to believe so badly.
That our leaders are trying to hide the fact that This Almeda fire was arson. Rolling Eyes
What do you really think? That Antifa and BLM are running all over the west starting fires and our leaders are trying to hide this from the public?

It is no conspiracy, someone or more started the fire and the news coverage has largely sucked but thank you for posting their 2 day old info when the police chief even admitted the arson investigation began night the fire broke out.

(09-20-2020, 05:39 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-18-2020, 03:55 PM)Cuzz Wrote: OK. Interesting that no mention was made on our local news. Or if it was I missed it.

Police: Almeda Fire's origin and recovered body the subject of a criminal investigation [/url]

AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to Facebook

by KTVL

VIEW ALL PHOTOS

It is no conspiracy, someone or more started the fire and the news coverage has largely sucked but thank you for posting their 2 day old info when the police chief even admitted the arson investigation began night the fire broke out.

OK fine but if you are not in to the conspiracy theory I'm baffled why you are so bothered by the fact that no one used the term arson during a homicide investigation the very first day during the fire.

RE: Medford/Ashland fires - Juniper - 09-20-2020

(09-20-2020, 01:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:

IMO most people on the greenway were more likely to hear the fire or see smoke and simply run than people inside houses. BTW the link doesn't work.
It doesn't?  I just clicked on it and it works.  Oh well...I C & P'd the article.

RE: Medford/Ashland fires - Juniper - 09-20-2020

(09-18-2020, 03:55 PM)Cuzz Wrote: OK. Interesting that no mention was made on our local news. Or if it was I missed it.

Police: Almeda Fire's origin and recovered body the subject of a criminal investigation [/url]

AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to Facebook

by KTVL

VIEW ALL PHOTOS

Today, they reported that a vehicle was deliberately set on fire at Immigrant lake the same day and time. I don't think it contributed to the fires though. The Almeda fire includes the point of origin behind the bmx park and was always said to be human caused, and the Phoenix point of origin, also human caused.

RE: Medford/Ashland fires - Cuzz - 09-21-2020

(09-20-2020, 10:38 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-18-2020, 05:18 PM)tvguy Wrote:  You missed it LOL. This was channel 12

AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to Facebook

by KTVL

VIEW ALL PHOTOS

Today, they reported that a vehicle was deliberately set on fire at Immigrant lake the same day and time. I don't think it contributed to the fires though. The Almeda fire includes the point of origin behind the bmx park and was always said to be human caused, and the Phoenix point of origin, also human caused.

And, not directed at you Tia, but human caused and arson aren't always the same thing. Sometimes it seems like people are conflating the two things.

RE: Medford/Ashland fires - Scrapper - 09-21-2020

(09-21-2020, 06:52 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-19-2020, 04:58 PM)GPnative Wrote: Thank you, I rest my case. The Oregonian did not shy away from details and actually had the balls to say "arson", like I referred to before regarding local media, i.e. chan 12, reported a body was found near the origin, but that's it, no mention of arson. A body being found near the origin w/out connecting it to possible arson is pretty much meaningless, Perhaps a sleeping homeless person was caught up in the fire?

by KTVL

[/url] 

VIEW ALL PHOTOS

And, not directed at you Tia, but human caused and arson aren't always the same thing. Sometimes it seems like people are conflating the two things.
Exactly!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RE: Medford/Ashland fires - tvguy - 09-21-2020

(09-18-2020, 05:18 PM)tvguy Wrote:  You missed it LOL. This was channel 12

AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to Facebook

by KTVL

VIEW ALL PHOTOS

I'm not sure the phoenix fire that was started by the meth head had anything to do with the Almeda fire that went through phoenix.