RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 04-29-2009

Quote:Anyhoo...has anyone tried growing tomatoes in a hanging basket upside down?

Yeah OK I tried it although I don't know why. The blood kept rushing to my head and I couldn't reach anything like when I'm just standing up.

Re: What's in your garden? - Cometmom - 04-29-2009

tvguy Wrote:
Quote:Anyhoo...has anyone tried growing tomatoes in a hanging basket upside down?

Yeah OK I tried it although I don't know why. The blood kept rushing to my head and I couldn't reach anything like when I'm just standing up.

Hardee har har Laughing Laughing Laughing I was going to edit that sentence but I thought what the heck. Someone would figure out what I was trying to say. Razz

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 04-29-2009

tvguy Wrote:

Now that is just damn funny and has not got the attention it deserves. Laughing

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 04-29-2009

cletus1 Wrote:
tvguy Wrote:

Now that is just damn funny and has not got the attention it deserves. Laughing

It's a very nice visual. I think......I think if you could successfully grow 'maters upside down, you could do the same with Cukes, and Zukes, and other things.

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 04-29-2009

Quote:Tia..I think if you could successfully grow 'maters upside down, you could do the same with Cukes, and Zukes, and other things.

Maybe not at least not the same way. Tomato stalks are pretty strong and solid but squash plants like you mentioned are kind of hollow. I did however grow a hanging pumpkin which probably weighed at least 50 pounds and the larger it got the more it beefed up it's own vine to support all that weight.

tvguy Wrote:
Quote:Tia..I think if you could successfully grow 'maters upside down, you could do the same with Cukes, and Zukes, and other things.

Maybe not at least not the same way. Tomato stalks are pretty strong and solid but squash plants like you mentioned are kind of hollow. I did however grow a hanging pumpkin which probably weighed at least 50 pounds and the larger it got the more it beefed up it's own vine to support all that weight.

Yeah, but ain't it weird....the hollow kind of vines seem to be less fragile than tomato stems that seem to squeal and grab for their knickers if you even just look at them wrong. Especially during such processes as staking which they seem to consider a personal affront.

I got a pretty decent batch of salad out of the batch in front today . Clipped the leaves off 4 different plants and it made a nice few handfuls. Roamaine, oakleaf, salad bowl, and red leaf. Filled a medium sized bowl, with some chopped iceburg tossed in for crunch. lots of fresh ground pepper.

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 04-30-2009

Tia Wrote:I got a pretty decent batch of salad out of the batch in front today . Clipped the leaves off 4 different plants and it made a nice few handfuls. Roamaine, oakleaf, salad bowl, and red leaf. Filled a medium sized bowl, with some chopped iceburg tossed in for crunch. lots of fresh ground pepper.

Sounds Nice Tia , where the pictures? Big Grin Yesterday I planted 6 cabbage plants and 6 brussel sprouts Big Grin I have green beans coming up, something is eating the tops of my onions( earwigs)?? I put out earwig traps so we'll see.

BTW..Betty's greenhouse is open again on Hamiric road single plants are 65 cents and 6 pacs are $2.20.

Hamirick is the road between Biddle and Table Rock, Betties is right near Beebe road.

Re: What's in your garden? - RobinBird - 04-30-2009

I'm pretty sure it's official. I'm going to have to buy a new tomatillo start.

BTW I was called a cheap skate for complaining about the grange coop's prices.

Well they want $1.49 for a single tomato in a 4" pot.

And I just showed you where you could buy the same thing in the same city for 65 cents. That's LESS then HALF price so BLAAAAAaaaaaa Razz Razz Razz Razz here's to all the cheapskates.....

[Image: beer-glass.jpg]

Re: What's in your garden? - Cometmom - 04-30-2009

tvguy Wrote:
Tia Wrote:I got a pretty decent batch of salad out of the batch in front today . Clipped the leaves off 4 different plants and it made a nice few handfuls. Roamaine, oakleaf, salad bowl, and red leaf. Filled a medium sized bowl, with some chopped iceburg tossed in for crunch. lots of fresh ground pepper.

Sounds Nice Tia , where the pictures? Big Grin Yesterday I planted 6 cabbage plants and 6 brussel sprouts Big Grin I have green beans coming up, something is eating the tops of my onions( earwigs)?? I put out earwig traps so we'll see.

BTW..Betty's greenhouse is open again on Hamiric road single plants are 65 cents and 6 pacs are $2.20.

Hamirick is the road between Biddle and Table Rock, Betties is right near Beebe road.

I love Betty's. I used to get alot of my flowers there. Good to know she is back. I just don't drive that way anymore so I am out of the loop.

Wow if you still need tomatoes or peppers this is the place to go.

Planted too many. Well established 4" pots for .50 and deep 2 1/2 pots are 3 for $1. Gallon size tomato $1.
Tomato varieties: Ace, Eary Girl, Beefsteak, Big Beef, Mule Team, Sugar Lump, Large Cherry, Beefmaster Roma, Box Car Willie, Applause, 4th of July, Rutgers Viva, Sweet baby Girl, Super Beef, Endless Summer, Moneymaker

Pepper varieties: sweet banana,, fat and Sassy, California Wonder, Blushing Beauty, Big Bertha, Satsumia, Keystone, Big Dipper, Aristotle, Jalapeno

Located 2.5 miles north of Fairgrounds on Gibbon Road. Call 821-7517 for directions. Free 4" petunia with $10 order.

http://medford.craigslist.org/grd/1146439845.html

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 04-30-2009

tvguy Wrote:Wow if you still need tomatoes or peppers this is the place to go.

Planted too many. Well established 4" pots for .50 and deep 2 1/2 pots are 3 for $1. Gallon size tomato $1.
Tomato varieties: Ace, Eary Girl, Beefsteak, Big Beef, Mule Team, Sugar Lump, Large Cherry, Beefmaster Roma, Box Car Willie, Applause, 4th of July, Rutgers Viva, Sweet baby Girl, Super Beef, Endless Summer, Moneymaker

Pepper varieties: sweet banana,, fat and Sassy, California Wonder, Blushing Beauty, Big Bertha, Satsumia, Keystone, Big Dipper, Aristotle, Jalapeno

Located 2.5 miles north of Fairgrounds on Gibbon Road. Call 821-7517 for directions. Free 4" petunia with $10 order.

http://medford.craigslist.org/grd/1146439845.html
Thanks TV, I will do my best to stop there tomorrow and check it out. The size of some the plants in the photo looks appealing. Although I get veggies cheaper in GP, I like to get a few well established plants for earlier picking. I'll report back if I make it there. Smiling

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 04-30-2009

tvguy Wrote:

I don't own a digital camera, TV, so I never post pics.But the salad was nice. I have a bunch of salad bowl lettuce seeds coming up. I have to say, my garden is actually kind of pathetic, since I turned it over and strawed everything down. Most of the perrenials are gone. But it needed an overhaul.

Re: What's in your garden? - WKYonc - 04-30-2009

I'm gonna plant hair.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 05-01-2009

WKYonc Wrote:I'm gonna plant hair.

Pictures!

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 05-01-2009

I'm putting a Deer and Orchard fence around the garden. I'll post photos when it's done. Eat grass you bastards! Big Grin

Re: What's in your garden? - WKYonc - 05-01-2009

Tia Wrote:
WKYonc Wrote:I'm gonna plant hair.

Pictures!

Okay, I'll bring the Kodak over and snap off a few. We want the full triangle here, not that little runway strip two inches wide.
After all, my friend Bubbles made 80K last year off that triangle and I ain't takin' no chances with a puny little narrow strip.

I figure if she made 80K with that, and if we plant just a half acre, we will be rich in no time.

This kind of thinging i's what made this country great!

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 05-01-2009

Look what the deer did to the garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Image: deergardennew.jpg]

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 05-01-2009

Aaaaaaahhhhhh! Surprised

The fence is going around the other garden. Laughing

That "TV" garden looks like hell. Mine not so much. Wink