RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 03-17-2012

I used to own a hydroponics store, and have done a lot of hydroponic gardening. While hydroponic equipment, fertilizer, and etc. are great for selling, I never use it personally. Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - Simon Peter - 03-17-2012

It looks like the deep water culture will be the cheapest and easiest to put together but my partner says if I intend on indoor farming then it needs to be something more pleasing to the eye, maybe an ebb and flow. There are some decent looking ones she liked that cost about $400 that I could probably make for under 50$.

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 03-17-2012

There's lots of plans online (and they all work just about as well as the commercial stuff), or just that will occur to your mind with a little looking and experimenting. Ebb and flow tables are nice for herbs. For tomatoes and similar, lighting will be your big problem through the winter, not nutrients.

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 03-18-2012

What's in my garden now? Mud and Jerusalem artichokesBig Grin anyway I planted a few bulbs/tubers a couple of years ago and they spread like crazy. So I walked through what was the garden and I was admiring the dry stalks and how straight and tough they are. Anyway when I pulled a couple I noticed a ton of these tubers coming up with them.
I've never even tried eating these so I pressure washed a couple, sliced them thin and was surprised to find that they are very tastyBig Grin
I guess I'll try baking or frying some next.

It's time to plant onions. I noticed they are selling sets already. The earlier you get them in the ground the better.
I usually plant Wall Walla's about the end of this month.

RE: What's in your garden? - Valuesize - 03-18-2012

(03-18-2012, 10:34 AM)tvguy Wrote: I guess I'll try baking or frying some next.

Here's another idea.....

http://www.lindls.com/sortiment/sirup-und-spirituosen/produkt/15-topinambur-likoer-feinbitter

http://www.topina.net/files/download/topinambur-liquer-prospekt.pdf

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 03-18-2012

(03-18-2012, 11:06 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(03-18-2012, 10:34 AM)tvguy Wrote: I guess I'll try baking or frying some next.

Here's another idea.....

http://www.lindls.com/sortiment/sirup-und-spirituosen/produkt/15-topinambur-likoer-feinbitter

http://www.topina.net/files/download/topinambur-liquer-prospekt.pdf

Cool, make wine ou of it eh? Probably not, I've got way too many other irons in the fire.
I used to make wine, it was fun. I'm not much of a wine fan anyway.

RE: What's in your garden? - Tiamat - 03-18-2012

lettuce, cabbage, snow peas and radishes

RE: What's in your garden? - Simon Peter - 03-28-2012

[Image: 28Mar.jpg]

tomatoes, cukes, okra, peppers, lettuces/greens and a variety of herbs.

RE: What's in your garden? - Larry - 03-28-2012

(03-10-2012, 02:42 PM)Larry Wrote:
(03-10-2012, 10:15 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(03-10-2012, 09:32 AM)Larry Wrote:
(03-10-2012, 08:54 AM)cletus1 Wrote: I have at least a couple hundred pepper seeds planted in trays. I also planted a tray of 48 long eggplants. I hope to plant a few more trays today. So, if most of the plants come up, I'll have plenty of extra plants.Smiling I will still buy tomatoes and bell peppers from green leaf because I am saving some room in my greenhouse for flowers.

In all seriousness, I haven't had a garden in over 20 years. I want to plant some Jalepenos and Habeneros that I bought seeds for. Walk me through this cleters. I need to get them started soon.
Sometimes its easier to just buy starts in May, especially if you are not planting a lot. Seed starter planting mix, seed trays and inserts are not too expensive, but it all adds up. However, since you have seeds you will now need to get a seed starter plant mix and some 4 cell inserts or just some 4 inch pots. All available at the Grange or Walmart.

All you do with pepper seeds is to plant 1 or 2 seeds a quarter inch deep in each cell and water them in. Keep the soil moist, not wet for 12 days and see what pops up. If you don't have a light, you can get a seed tray with a clear humidity dome and put them on a table very close to a window. If both seeds in a cell sprout, cut one of them off in around 10 days or so. Peppers never get too big to outgrow their containers in my experience, so you can plant them directly outside in late May or when the danger of frost is over. The starter mix typically has everything in it, so you don't need to fertilize, but you can apply a half strength solution after a month of growth.

Alrighty then. I have 36 Jalepeno and 36 Habeneros in the starter kit. We'll see if they take. Thanks for the advise.

So some of them have sprouted in the last couple days. Do I take the lid off the "greenhouse" now? I have it in a north/east garden bay window.

RE: What's in your garden? - Valuesize - 03-28-2012

(03-04-2012, 07:02 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I still am in a war with bamboo. I know Applegate laughs, but here in the hood, there is no river running through with rocks in it, so I'm always looking for a source of good size rocks. I found one! On the railroad track! Right down from the Mission, so I don't think anyone wants them. They are river rock, so they must have been dumped there long ago for whatever reason, but I'm raiding it! It's half under weeds, so whoever put them there must have done it long ago. So I will put them to use! To build beds! And in the beds I managed to get in some lettuce, onions and cabbage!

Do you still need rocks? Laughing

http://medford.craigslist.org/zip/2927836502.html

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 03-29-2012

(03-28-2012, 06:04 PM)Larry Wrote:
(03-10-2012, 02:42 PM)Larry Wrote:
(03-10-2012, 10:15 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(03-10-2012, 09:32 AM)Larry Wrote:
(03-10-2012, 08:54 AM)cletus1 Wrote: I have at least a couple hundred pepper seeds planted in trays. I also planted a tray of 48 long eggplants. I hope to plant a few more trays today. So, if most of the plants come up, I'll have plenty of extra plants.Smiling I will still buy tomatoes and bell peppers from green leaf because I am saving some room in my greenhouse for flowers.

In all seriousness, I haven't had a garden in over 20 years. I want to plant some Jalepenos and Habeneros that I bought seeds for. Walk me through this cleters. I need to get them started soon.
Sometimes its easier to just buy starts in May, especially if you are not planting a lot. Seed starter planting mix, seed trays and inserts are not too expensive, but it all adds up. However, since you have seeds you will now need to get a seed starter plant mix and some 4 cell inserts or just some 4 inch pots. All available at the Grange or Walmart.

All you do with pepper seeds is to plant 1 or 2 seeds a quarter inch deep in each cell and water them in. Keep the soil moist, not wet for 12 days and see what pops up. If you don't have a light, you can get a seed tray with a clear humidity dome and put them on a table very close to a window. If both seeds in a cell sprout, cut one of them off in around 10 days or so. Peppers never get too big to outgrow their containers in my experience, so you can plant them directly outside in late May or when the danger of frost is over. The starter mix typically has everything in it, so you don't need to fertilize, but you can apply a half strength solution after a month of growth.

Alrighty then. I have 36 Jalepeno and 36 Habeneros in the starter kit. We'll see if they take. Thanks for the advise.

So some of them have sprouted in the last couple days. Do I take the lid off the "greenhouse" now? I have it in a north/east garden bay window.
Yeah you can take the lid off, especially when the sun makes it too hot inside the dome. You will see condensation on the clear lid when it gets warm. I would just take the lid off.

The average last frost day is May 12th. So you are going to grow them indoors for around 6 more weeks.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 03-29-2012

(03-28-2012, 04:27 PM)Simon Peter Wrote: [Image: 28Mar.jpg]

tomatoes, cukes, okra, peppers, lettuces/greens and a variety of herbs.
Very nice Simon. Your vegetable seedlings are a little further along than most of mine. Although my peppers are forming their 3rd leaves. I am planting my okra today because in the past they got a little root bound. I planted yellow straight-neck squash, zucchini and Burpless cuke seeds, but I am buying my tomato starts. The ones available at Greenleaf are just too nice and I get 4 for $1.25.

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 03-29-2012

Quote:I planted yellow straight-neck squash, zucchini and Burpless cuke seeds,

I think it too early for these. IMO anyway. I have bought starts and planted seeds right next to them and the seeds out grew the starts
All of these squash plants won't grow well until the soil is really warm and it doesn't get so cold at night.
The same is true with the Okra that Simon started. I never had any luck with that until it gets hot.
Having said that... IF I had a greenhouse (finished) I would plant all the same thing tooRazz

RE: What's in your garden? - Tiamat - 03-29-2012

(03-28-2012, 10:46 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(03-04-2012, 07:02 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I still am in a war with bamboo. I know Applegate laughs, but here in the hood, there is no river running through with rocks in it, so I'm always looking for a source of good size rocks. I found one! On the railroad track! Right down from the Mission, so I don't think anyone wants them. They are river rock, so they must have been dumped there long ago for whatever reason, but I'm raiding it! It's half under weeds, so whoever put them there must have done it long ago. So I will put them to use! To build beds! And in the beds I managed to get in some lettuce, onions and cabbage!

Do you still need rocks? Laughing

http://medford.craigslist.org/zip/2927836502.html

Don't laugh! Laughing I would, but I'm not driving to GP for 'em.

RE: What's in your garden? - Tiamat - 03-29-2012

(03-29-2012, 08:00 AM)tvguy Wrote:

I think it too early for these. IMO anyway. I have bought starts and planted seeds right next to them and the seeds out grew the starts
All of these squash plants won't grow well until the soil is really warm and it doesn't get so cold at night.
The same is true with the Okra that Simon started. I never had any luck with that until it gets hot.
Having said that... IF I had a greenhouse (finished) I would plant all the same thing tooRazz

I've planted mine. Inside. They are just too easy to grow from seed not to!

RE: What's in your garden? - Crazylace - 03-29-2012

Strawberries are starting to peek out. The deer are feasting on the lawn, right where I want to install my garden. Maybe i'll wait, in case we move again.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 03-30-2012

Its not too early if you are indoors. Whenever I have bought squash, cucumber and tomato starts, they are good sized. So, they had to be started at least 4 to 6 weeks before the garden centers get them. The tomatoes are started even earlier, like 8 to 10 weeks from mid April. I have many veggies in 4 inch pots so they have plenty of room to grow. They will go into the green house in mid April too. I have a heater with a thermostat I will put in the Greenhouse to protect them against an occasional cold night. I like to get a head start on my veggies. I am usually eating a zuke by the end of May or first week in June which is real early. The Seven Oaks Farm in Central Point plant seeds directly into the soil in mid May.

RE: What's in your garden? - Tiamat - 03-30-2012

(03-18-2012, 10:34 AM)tvguy Wrote: What's in my garden now? Mud and Jerusalem artichokesBig Grin anyway I planted a few bulbs/tubers a couple of years ago and they spread like crazy. So I walked through what was the garden and I was admiring the dry stalks and how straight and tough they are. Anyway when I pulled a couple I noticed a ton of these tubers coming up with them.
I've never even tried eating these so I pressure washed a couple, sliced them thin and was surprised to find that they are very tastyBig Grin

It's time to plant onions. I noticed they are selling sets already. The earlier you get them in the ground the better.

Oh, yes, they are supposed to be pretty tasty.. They also contain inulin, a sugar our body can digest or break down. So, they tend to give one a lot of gas. I used to be able to find them on the grocery shelves about 30 years ago or so, but no longer. I guess there was some kind of pyramid scam attached to that. I never see them anymore. Anyway, I planted Jerusalem artichoke seeds last year and they didn't sprout.

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 03-30-2012

(03-30-2012, 09:06 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(03-18-2012, 10:34 AM)tvguy Wrote: What's in my garden now? Mud and Jerusalem artichokesBig Grin anyway I planted a few bulbs/tubers a couple of years ago and they spread like crazy. So I walked through what was the garden and I was admiring the dry stalks and how straight and tough they are. Anyway when I pulled a couple I noticed a ton of these tubers coming up with them.

Oh, yes, they are supposed to be pretty tasty.. They also contain inulin, a sugar our body can digest or break down. So, they tend to give one a lot of gas. I used to be able to find them on the grocery shelves about 30 years ago or so, but no longer. I guess there was some kind of pyramid scam attached to that. I never see them anymore. Anyway, I planted Jerusalem artichoke seeds last year and they didn't sprout.

I'll give you some bulbs?tubers if you wantBig Grin I have a lot. The other day my friend caught a 3 lb trout. We BBQed it wrapped in aluminum foil with some sliced up some Jerusalem artichokes . It was VERY good.

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 03-30-2012

(03-30-2012, 06:43 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

Its not too early if you are indoors. Whenever I have bought squash, cucumber and tomato starts, they are good sized. So, they had to be started at least 4 to 6 weeks before the garden centers get them. The tomatoes are started even earlier, like 8 to 10 weeks from mid April. I have many veggies in 4 inch pots so they have plenty of room to grow. They will go into the green house in mid April too. I have a heater with a thermostat I will put in the Greenhouse to protect them against an occasional cold night. I like to get a head start on my veggies. I am usually eating a zuke by the end of May or first week in June which is real early. The Seven Oaks Farm in Central Point plant seeds directly into the soil in mid May.

Well if you already have a greenhouse and already are heating it I would be starting all kinds of stuff too.Big Grin
I was just talking about my experience with plants that don't too well until the soil gets warm and the nights stop getting cold.

I don't know about zukes. I always plant those more because they are cool than anything else. I love yellow crooknecks and if I'm remembering right they don't grow well for me until it's really warm.
OKRA definitely likes it hot. Pumpkins too.

I"ve had red tomatoes at June 1st twice, I think. I know I did once. And that was from buying hybrids with short growing seasons from people who must have started them about nowBig Grin

All I'm saying is that I've put a started plant in the ground and a seed of the same kind right next to it and had the plant from the seed outgrow the other.