RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

RE: What's in your garden? - chuck white - 03-31-2012

I need to move some speakers out to my garden.

CNN News Service:

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 03-31-2012

(03-31-2012, 10:50 AM)chuck white Wrote: I need to move some speakers out to my garden.

CNN News Service:

I bought some outdoor speakers that looked like rocks, at Costco I think. I put them near my pond. One day one went POOF and a bunch of white smoke came outTwitch
They actually worked great, other than that. I took them back and never got any more.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 04-01-2012

(03-30-2012, 11:09 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-30-2012, 06:43 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(03-29-2012, 08:00 AM)tvguy Wrote:
Quote:I planted yellow straight-neck squash, zucchini and Burpless cuke seeds,

I think it too early for these. IMO anyway. I have bought starts and planted seeds right next to them and the seeds out grew the starts
All of these squash plants won't grow well until the soil is really warm and it doesn't get so cold at night.
The same is true with the Okra that Simon started. I never had any luck with that until it gets hot.
Having said that... IF I had a greenhouse (finished) I would plant all the same thing tooRazz
Its not too early if you are indoors. Whenever I have bought squash, cucumber and tomato starts, they are good sized. So, they had to be started at least 4 to 6 weeks before the garden centers get them. The tomatoes are started even earlier, like 8 to 10 weeks from mid April. I have many veggies in 4 inch pots so they have plenty of room to grow. They will go into the green house in mid April too. I have a heater with a thermostat I will put in the Greenhouse to protect them against an occasional cold night. I like to get a head start on my veggies. I am usually eating a zuke by the end of May or first week in June which is real early. The Seven Oaks Farm in Central Point plant seeds directly into the soil in mid May.

Well if you already have a greenhouse and already are heating it I would be starting all kinds of stuff too.Big Grin
I was just talking about my experience with plants that don't too well until the soil gets warm and the nights stop getting cold.

I don't know about zukes. I always plant those more because they are cool than anything else. I love yellow crooknecks and if I'm remembering right they don't grow well for me until it's really warm.
OKRA definitely likes it hot. Pumpkins too.

I"ve had red tomatoes at June 1st twice, I think. I know I did once. And that was from buying hybrids with short growing seasons from people who must have started them about nowBig Grin

All I'm saying is that I've put a started plant in the ground and a seed of the same kind right next to it and had the plant from the seed outgrow the other.

I have not experienced that, but the 4 pack starts that I buy for $1.25 catch up to the 1 gallon single plants that I see people buy for 3 bucks each by mid summer and I often have veggies at the same time as they do.

Here is a photo of a tray of Birdseye chili peppers that I just took. They will go outside around May 20th.

[Image: pepperstarts001.jpg]

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 04-03-2012

I had another friend tell me to make sure to plant my vegetables on the full moon. So, being the skeptic that I am and getting tired of hearing that, I said why. Yep, that was it, one word, why, and he could not explain why I should plant on the full moon. He did say that the gardeners that know, always plant on that day. So, I told him that I think I will do what farmers do instead. Then he asked me what that was. I explained that farmers look outside to see if it is snowing or raining real hard, then they look at their thermometer and then they forget about the damned full moon.Big Grin God I can be testy at times.Rolling Eyes Perhaps this is a topic that belongs in the Be Careful What You Choose to Believe Thread.

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 04-03-2012

My farmer friend (that farmed hundreds of acres in Idaho, but is down to perhaps 80 now) insists there's validity to planting on moon cycles, although he can't tell you why. He also keeps quoting that damn almanac, as if anybody could possibly predict that stuff a year in advance. I'd say it's all nonsense but he has the biggest plants around. Maybe because he overfertilizes everything practically to the brink of death too. It's little wonder farmers pollute all the water with their overfertilization, if they all fertilize like he does.

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 04-03-2012

Yeah the moon thing is a croc. For some odd reason as long as I did everything right everything always grows great.
It think it's stupid that they want you to plant a seen every inch or something and then thin to one plant every six inches or whatever?? Basically they are saying.. Buy our seeds and then waste most of them , thanks for shopping and buying in to our BS.

RE: What's in your garden? - Simon Peter - 04-06-2012

The hydroponics seems to be working and is a fun experiment. Just not cost effective until I can produce my own power.

[Image: APR6.jpg]

RE: What's in your garden? - Scrapper - 04-17-2012

[Image: 521950_240709859358241_192664297496131_4...2069_n.jpg]

RE: What's in your garden? - Tiamat - 04-17-2012

(04-03-2012, 01:47 PM)PonderThis Wrote: My farmer friend (that farmed hundreds of acres in Idaho, but is down to perhaps 80 now) insists there's validity to planting on moon cycles, although he can't tell you why. He also keeps quoting that damn almanac, as if anybody could possibly predict that stuff a year in advance. I'd say it's all nonsense but he has the biggest plants around. Maybe because he overfertilizes everything practically to the brink of death too. It's little wonder farmers pollute all the water with their overfertilization, if they all fertilize like he does.

Regarding the Almanac. It used to be made based on the old saws, and wisdom and indicators. No more; it hasn't been for years, all though they say it is. Nowadays, it's all computer model. I've never tried and/or recorded my results for lunar planting so I have no opinion on it. I see no reason to dismiss it out of hand. The moon does some amazing thing to physical objects on earth, so who am I to say. I'd have to keep a gardening journal to see.

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 04-17-2012

(04-17-2012, 07:40 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(04-03-2012, 01:47 PM)PonderThis Wrote: My farmer friend (that farmed hundreds of acres in Idaho, but is down to perhaps 80 now) insists there's validity to planting on moon cycles, although he can't tell you why. He also keeps quoting that damn almanac, as if anybody could possibly predict that stuff a year in advance. I'd say it's all nonsense but he has the biggest plants around. Maybe because he overfertilizes everything practically to the brink of death too. It's little wonder farmers pollute all the water with their overfertilization, if they all fertilize like he does.

Regarding the Almanac. It used to be made based on the old saws, and wisdom and indicators. No more; it hasn't been for years, all though they say it is. Nowadays, it's all computer model. I've never tried and/or recorded my results for lunar planting so I have no opinion on it. I see no reason to dismiss it out of hand. The moon does some amazing thing to physical objects on earth, so who am I to say. I'd have to keep a gardening journal to see.

I remember reading an in depth study about the farmers almanac and the conclusion was that it not particular accurate any more than guessing.

I'm in the opposite camp. I see every reason to dismiss things like this and astrology. It's science and factual studies that I have no reason to dismiss.

(04-06-2012, 04:25 PM)Simon Peter Wrote: The hydroponics seems to be working and is a fun experiment. Just not cost effective until I can produce my own power.

Good luck finding a way to produce power that is "cost effective".

RE: What's in your garden? - Tiamat - 04-17-2012

(04-17-2012, 08:00 AM)tvguy Wrote:

I remember reading an in depth study about the farmers almanac and the conclusion was that it not particular accurate any more than guessing.

I'm in the opposite camp. I see every reason to dismiss things like this and astrology. It's science and factual studies that I have no reason to dismiss.

Well, that's the thing, TV, now a days the almanac is based on "Scientific" weather models, not to the old ways they used to. It still shows things like lunar cycles, and what not, and some of the old folk lore related to to that and other things, but the weather predictions and cycles? Those come right off National Weather Service.

(04-17-2012, 08:17 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(04-17-2012, 08:00 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Well, that's the thing, TV, now a days the almanac is based on "Scientific" weather models, not to the old ways they used to. It still shows things like lunar cycles, and what not, and some of the old folk lore related to to that and other things, but the weather predictions and cycles? Those come right off National Weather Service.

I would trust that Tia more than the oldBig Grin But with me it's always been about when I have my garden tilled, when it's dry enough. So when I actually plant is as soon as I can get around to it. End of story.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 04-30-2012

My garden is tilled. I will now add a years worth of composted leaves and grass, lime and some Dr. Earths organic fertilizer and till that in as soon as the weather permits. I will then be ready to plant. My squash in the green house and is getting too big for the 4 inch containers, so, I am thinking about transplanting them into larger ones till I can put them in the garden. I plan to plant nice straight rows again and take a photo to show TVguy. Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - Scrapper - 04-30-2012

I'm not doing the garden thing.
Fighting the squash slugs last year did me in.
I'll settle for shopping the farmer's market.

RE: What's in your garden? - Yeshuah Hamashiach - 04-30-2012

Gotta skunk that seems to be hiding under the shed. It scampered all the way to it from the other side of the yard when I met up with it. I hope it isnt sick as it was out in the day .

RE: What's in your garden? - Yeshuah Hamashiach - 04-30-2012

(04-30-2012, 06:35 AM)cletus1 Wrote: My garden is tilled. I will now add a years worth of composted leaves and grass, lime and some Dr. Earths organic fertilizer and till that in as soon as the weather permits. I will then be ready to plant. My squash in the green house and is getting too big for the 4 inch containers, so, I am thinking about transplanting them into larger ones till I can put them in the garden. I plan to plant nice straight rows again and take a photo to show TVguy. Smiling

Lime ?

RE: What's in your garden? - chuck white - 04-30-2012

(04-30-2012, 10:55 AM)Yeshuah Hamashiach Wrote:
(04-30-2012, 06:35 AM)cletus1 Wrote: My garden is tilled. I will now add a years worth of composted leaves and grass, lime and some Dr. Earths organic fertilizer and till that in as soon as the weather permits. I will then be ready to plant. My squash in the green house and is getting too big for the 4 inch containers, so, I am thinking about transplanting them into larger ones till I can put them in the garden. I plan to plant nice straight rows again and take a photo to show TVguy. Smiling

Lime ?

Yea, you add it to the cocoanut.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 05-15-2012

It exists because there is a photo
[Image: 001.jpg]
It begins because there is a photo
[Image: 002-1.jpg]

RE: What's in your garden? - Scrapper - 05-15-2012

(05-15-2012, 11:09 AM)cletus1 Wrote: [Image: 001.jpg]

Cletus... here's my Crown Royal hat! Big Grin

[Image: scaled.php?server=4&filename=64811652403...es=landing]