RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

RE: What's in your garden? - Valuesize - 05-15-2012

[quote='cletus1' pid='201955' dateline='1337105382']

It exists because there is a photo
[Image: 001.jpg]

Well done Clete, you need to buy smaller shirts! Thumbs Up

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 05-15-2012

(04-30-2012, 06:35 AM)cletus1 Wrote: My garden is tilled. I will now add a years worth of composted leaves and grass, lime and some Dr. Earths organic fertilizer and till that in as soon as the weather permits. I will then be ready to plant. My squash in the green house and is getting too big for the 4 inch containers, so, I am thinking about transplanting them into larger ones till I can put them in the garden. I plan to plant nice straight rows again and take a photo to show TVguy. Smiling

Anther industrial looking clinical OCD garden ehLaughing Where were you when they passed out being creativeRazz

It's good to know you, err I mean your hired help got the garden tilledLaughing

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 05-15-2012

(05-15-2012, 11:31 AM)Valuesize Wrote: [quote='cletus1' pid='201955' dateline='1337105382']

It exists because there is a photo

Well done Clete, you need to buy smaller shirts! Thumbs Up
That's not me modeling that shirt. That is my helper that TV refereed to in his post.

Apparently TV thinks the guy I hire to run the tiller should get credit for my beautiful garden. Besides, this year I tilled and my friend dug the holes for the starts.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 05-15-2012

(05-15-2012, 11:19 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Cletus... here's my Crown Royal hat! Big Grin

[Image: scaled.php?server=4&filename=64811652403...es=landing]

We are not lushes we just appreciate good alcoholic beverages.Wink

RE: What's in your garden? - Crazylace - 05-15-2012

Gravitational pull influences moisture in soil
Planting by the moon is an idea as old as agriculture, based both in folklore and superstition, but there are scientific ideas to back it up The Earth is in a large gravitational field, influenced by both the sun and moon. The tides are highest at the time of the new and the full moon, when sun and moon are lined up with earth. Just as the moon pulls the tides in the oceans, it also pulls upon the subtle bodies of water, causing moisture to rise in the earth, which encourages growth. The highest amount of moisture is in the soil at this time, and tests have proven that seeds will absorb the most water at the time of the full moon.
http://www.gardeningbythemoon.com/phases.html

So, it's basically a technique to maximize seed imbibition, if you're into that kinda thing. Cool

RE: What's in your garden? - Scrapper - 05-29-2012

[Image: tumblr_m45708LxNE1qd5giho1_500.jpg]

RE: What's in your garden? - APPLEGATE - 05-29-2012

16 tomatoes, 18 peppers, 9 zucchini, 9 cucumbers, 3 winter squash, 3 melons, 100 ft of beets, 50 feet of turnips and 6 okra plants. Pictures in about 2 months. How about some okra recipes.

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 05-29-2012

Chicken Okra

Take 6 Okra plants
uproot
feed to chickens Smiling

Delicious, to chickens maybe. Laughing

p.s. I have a Goat Okra recipe too, if anyone is interested.

Hooray!!! I have 8 chickens and a mean bastard of a rooster. Dinner is served. Stewed rooster with okra.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 05-29-2012

(05-29-2012, 05:07 PM)APPLEGATE Wrote: Hooray!!! I have 8 chickens and a mean bastard of a rooster. Dinner is served. Stewed rooster with okra.
Sad How will the poor hens have chicks?

Damn the bastard. I'm tired of fighting off the cock with a stick.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 05-29-2012

(05-29-2012, 05:56 PM)APPLEGATE Wrote: Damn the bastard. I'm tired of fighting off the cock with a stick.

The rooster, not your husband right? Big Grin

I had to dispatch a couple of roosters that could not tell time. So I actually feel for you.Wink

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 05-29-2012

(05-29-2012, 06:00 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(05-29-2012, 05:56 PM)APPLEGATE Wrote: Damn the bastard. I'm tired of fighting off the cock with a stick.

The rooster, not your husband right? Big Grin

I had to dispatch a couple of roosters that could not tell time. So I actually feel for you.Wink

That roosters only crow at dawn is as an old myth. "Dispatch" I bet even Ponder can live with thatLaughing

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 05-29-2012

I've killed a rooster or two in my life.

The Bastard will crow from 4am till dusk but that's not the problem. The rooster will attack me 24/7 if he could...................but his girls love him. so, whats in youre garden?

(05-29-2012, 06:51 PM)APPLEGATE Wrote: The Bastard will crow from 4am till dusk but that's not the problem. The rooster will attack me 24/7 if he could...................but his girls love him. so, whats in youre garden?

UM... one tomato plantSad I may have lost interstBig Grin

DAMN

(05-29-2012, 06:47 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I've killed a rooster or two in my life.

You should say. I "laid them to rest" or was "responsible for their demise" for the sake of the sensitive.

Someone gave the wife and I 11 young roosters. We let them fatten up but when it came time to slaughter and eat them we realized there was no way in hell we could catch them.
My friend was over and he showed us what his grandma taught him. You take a stout sick about 2 or three feet long. Hold it low and parallel to the ground and throw it at the roosters so that it 's spinning.
It worked very well. My guess is that this is a method used by humans for thousands of years.

(05-29-2012, 06:56 PM)APPLEGATE Wrote: DAMN

That's OK I have a new hobby, raiding people gardensCool

GET YOUR LAZY ASS OUT OF BED AND START PLANTING!!