RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

RE: What's in your garden? - APPLEGATE - 05-29-2012

OH, RIGHT NOW!!

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 05-29-2012

(05-29-2012, 07:04 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-29-2012, 06:47 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I've killed a rooster or two in my life.

You should say. I "laid them to rest" or was "responsible for their demise" for the sake of the sensitive.

Someone gave the wife and I 11 young roosters. We let them fatten up but when it came time to slaughter and eat them we realized there was no way in hell we could catch them.
My friend was over and he showed us what his grandma taught him. You take a stout sick about 2 or three feet long. Hold it low and parallel to the ground and throw it at the roosters so that it 's spinning.
It worked very well. My guess is that this is a method used by humans for thousands of years.

Applegate is right, roosters can be wickedly mean to humans. That's why I kept a banty rooster with my chickens (back when I kept chickens), because egg customers liked seeing the spot indicating they were fertilized but I didn't have to put up with a full size rooster that had gotten mean (some seem much worse than others). I always just went in the chicken coop at night and took whichever ones I wanted. I took one to the gospel mission once, with a sock over his head. He was very docile all the way there. I told them to give it to the next guy that came down the tracks, but they told me they would dispatch him right there. No, I didn't stick around for it. Smiling Oh yeah, he was a french variety that looked like a devil with horns, not sure of the spelling but it was something like Crevecour. I always wondered what they thought when they saw what that thing looked like. Laughing

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 05-29-2012

(05-29-2012, 07:14 PM)APPLEGATE Wrote: GET YOUR LAZY ASS OUT OF BED AND START PLANTING!!

Actually, I'm far from lazy and I'm much busier earning a living than when I was subsidized by unemployment checks.
And it's not like I don't still have an acre of grass and weeds to mow and weed eat , other things to water plus plenty of other projects that are more important that a big fat ZuchiniLaughing

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 05-29-2012

Quote:because egg customers liked seeing the spot indicating they were fertilized

Because someone told them a fertilized egg was better? We had chickens and our own eggs for years. Never had much use for roosters other than some we raised to eat. Pullets are cheap enough.

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 05-29-2012

(05-29-2012, 07:44 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Quote:because egg customers liked seeing the spot indicating they were fertilized

Because someone told them a fertilized egg was better?

That was the impression I got. And, I always had more people wanting my eggs than I had eggs, too.

'Course, that was a few decades ago, too. Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - Tiamat - 06-02-2012

(05-29-2012, 07:04 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-29-2012, 06:47 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I've killed a rooster or two in my life.

You should say. I "laid them to rest" or was "responsible for their demise" for the sake of the sensitive.

Someone gave the wife and I 11 young roosters. We let them fatten up but when it came time to slaughter and eat them we realized there was no way in hell we could catch them.
My friend was over and he showed us what his grandma taught him. You take a stout sick about 2 or three feet long. Hold it low and parallel to the ground and throw it at the roosters so that it 's spinning.
It worked very well. My guess is that this is a method used by humans for thousands of years.

My Father said that if you put a chickens head on the ground and drew a line away from it, starting at the eye, it would just stay there....weird.
Of course you had to catch the chicken first.

RE: What's in your garden? - Tiamat - 06-02-2012

Oh, yeah. I have a tomato!

RE: What's in your garden? - orygunluvr - 06-02-2012

(06-02-2012, 09:47 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Oh, yeah. I have a tomato!

Hey, I know why your garden died off after you used the straw compost.

RE: What's in your garden? - Valuesize - 06-02-2012

I HAD some nice little peppers growing until the 3 YO decided they needed to be picked. Crying

RE: What's in your garden? - orygunluvr - 06-02-2012

(06-02-2012, 10:20 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I HAD some nice little peppers growing until the 3 YO decided they needed to be picked. Crying

Boy did that, once, then after his mouth cooled down he promised not to do that again.

RE: What's in your garden? - Valuesize - 06-02-2012

(06-02-2012, 10:28 PM)orygunluvr Wrote:
(06-02-2012, 10:20 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I HAD some nice little peppers growing until the 3 YO decided they needed to be picked. Crying

Boy did that, once, then after his mouth cooled down he promised not to do that again.

These were only little nubs and they went into a bucket with the rest of the "soup." Laughing

RE: What's in your garden? - illcommandante - 06-03-2012

The chickens used to try to catch me. Macon would chop their heads off and send then running after me. What kind of monster could do that to a three year old? Macon was the best parenting I got. And actually, pretty good at it.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 06-06-2012

June 6th people and I will be harvesting a few squash soon. Who wants to laugh at my little Greenhouse now?

Hey TVguy, what's in your garden?Big Grin

[Image: 003.jpg]

[Image: 002-2.jpg]

[Image: 001-1.jpg]

RE: What's in your garden? - Tiamat - 06-06-2012

(06-02-2012, 10:01 PM)orygunluvr Wrote:
(06-02-2012, 09:47 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Oh, yeah. I have a tomato!

Hey, I know why your garden died off after you used the straw compost.

I actually am not sure it was the compost. I may have burnt it that year with some green manure...but what is your theory?

BTW, Cletus, My squash are not nearly as big as that.

RE: What's in your garden? - Simon Peter - 06-06-2012

(06-06-2012, 10:55 AM)cletus1 Wrote: June 6th people and I will be harvesting a few squash soon. Who wants to laugh at my little Greenhouse now?

[Image: 003.jpg]

Where did you get the miniature tomatoes?

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 06-06-2012

(06-06-2012, 12:53 PM)Simon Peter Wrote:
(06-06-2012, 10:55 AM)cletus1 Wrote: June 6th people and I will be harvesting a few squash soon. Who wants to laugh at my little Greenhouse now?

You probably bought those gallon size tomatoes for $3.00 each, huh. Well mine usually catch up to those in early July and I save a lot of money, I would call you a short-cutter and a head-starter as a dig, but then that is why I got my mini green house, so I will let your dig go, for now.

(06-06-2012, 01:37 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(06-06-2012, 12:53 PM)Simon Peter Wrote:

You probably bought those gallon size tomatoes for $3.00 each, huh. Well mine usually catch up to those in early July and I save a lot of money, I would call you a short-cutter and a head-starter as a dig, but then that is why I got my mini green house, so I will let your dig go, for now.

I started mine from seed, early. You really don't want to see a pic.Razz

RE: What's in your garden? - Valuesize - 06-06-2012

(06-06-2012, 01:57 PM)Simon Peter Wrote: I started mine from seed, early. You really don't want to see a pic.Razz

I do. Garden wise, I have to live vicariously this year. Sad

RE: What's in your garden? - Valuesize - 06-06-2012

Hey Clete, When does your stand open? Dancing

(06-06-2012, 03:53 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(06-06-2012, 01:57 PM)Simon Peter Wrote: I started mine from seed, early. You really don't want to see a pic.Razz

I do. Garden wise, I have to live vicariously this year. Sad

OK, for you.......here is a pic of my outdoor experiment.....

[Image: 6Jun.jpg]