RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 06-10-2012

(06-10-2012, 08:17 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(06-09-2012, 03:44 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-09-2012, 01:12 PM)Tiamat Wrote: No, that's just TV's "Style" of gardening. The more he see's Clete's the more he has to make his the opposite. Then we decide, based on pics who's garden is the "coolest".Big Grin

Laughing Yeah I do poke fun at Clete's organized OCD gardens and yeah I know mine look like chaos.Big Grin

Quote: It looks like whoever is doing the rototilling is high on drugs.

That would be me, my friend tilled the part on the right with some plants.
There's a method to my madness. It seems that if I try and till straight rows one tire is on tilled ground and the other on hard untiled ground.
So I kind of skip a row an till it later.

Quote: Cletus.. I knew you would not let us down. Smiling The way you talk about eating maters fresh from the garden, I figured that you know homegrown produce is a special treat. That dirt looks good, it would have been a waste not to plant a few tomatoes.

I bought cantaloupes, water melons, crook necks and a couple kinds of gourds and other stuff I forget what allSmiling
OCD as in Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? I think not. My garden is only minimally planned. The parallel spaces beside the rows allows me to pull my garden wagon along the rows and pick my veggies easily. I can also move my hoses around when needed by simply pulling them up a straight row, although several of my sprinklers stay put.

Your garden usually looks like you throw a variety of vegetable seeds in the air and called it good. That's a great way to garden if you want Giant Pumpkin vines growing into your tomatoe plants.Rolling Eyes

It was a joke Cletus, The OCD thing. Because your gardens look so commercial. Yes I get it why you need room between plants. But the rows don't have to be straight or perfectly straight.
I've always liked my garden to have some kind of a natural look, the way things grow in nature somewhat.
That's all I'm saying.

Quote:Cletus..Your garden usually looks like you throw a variety of vegetable seeds in the air and called it good. That's a great way to garden if you want Giant Pumpkin vines growing into your tomatoe plants

Really?Smiling

[Image: gardenza.jpg]

[Image: gardenyy.jpg]

[Image: gardenvv.jpg]

[Image: gardencc.jpg]

[Image: gardenza-1.jpg]

[Image: Gardenjj.jpg]

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 06-10-2012

(06-10-2012, 10:16 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-10-2012, 08:17 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(06-09-2012, 03:44 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-09-2012, 01:12 PM)Tiamat Wrote: No, that's just TV's "Style" of gardening. The more he see's Clete's the more he has to make his the opposite. Then we decide, based on pics who's garden is the "coolest".Big Grin

Laughing Yeah I do poke fun at Clete's organized OCD gardens and yeah I know mine look like chaos.Big Grin

Quote: It looks like whoever is doing the rototilling is high on drugs.

That would be me, my friend tilled the part on the right with some plants.
There's a method to my madness. It seems that if I try and till straight rows one tire is on tilled ground and the other on hard untiled ground.
So I kind of skip a row an till it later.

Quote: Cletus.. I knew you would not let us down. Smiling The way you talk about eating maters fresh from the garden, I figured that you know homegrown produce is a special treat. That dirt looks good, it would have been a waste not to plant a few tomatoes.

I bought cantaloupes, water melons, crook necks and a couple kinds of gourds and other stuff I forget what allSmiling
OCD as in Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? I think not. My garden is only minimally planned. The parallel spaces beside the rows allows me to pull my garden wagon along the rows and pick my veggies easily. I can also move my hoses around when needed by simply pulling them up a straight row, although several of my sprinklers stay put.

Your garden usually looks like you throw a variety of vegetable seeds in the air and called it good. That's a great way to garden if you want Giant Pumpkin vines growing into your tomatoe plants.Rolling Eyes

It was a joke Cletus, The OCD thing. Because your gardens look so commercial. Yes I get it why you need room between plants. But the rows don't have to be straight or perfectly straight.
I've always liked my garden to have some kind of a natural look, the way things grow in nature somewhat.
That's all I'm saying.

I know it was a joke, so was my seeds in the air comment. I used the roll eye icon ya know. Those photos are great. The way you trellis the beans with poles and boards reminds me of the community and home gardens in Fiji. They trellis sweet potatoes on poles like that.Smiling

Quote:The way you trellis the beans with poles and boards reminds me of the community and home gardens in Fiji. They trellis sweet potatoes on poles like that.Smiling

I love to see your garden pics, keep em coming

The problem was that where I put the trellis thing there was not enough sunSad My trees block too much sun back there so I've moved my whole garden.

Today with my grandkid I planted three kinds of gourdsRazz I think other than for fun they are pointless but I think I like pointless sometimes.

I also planted cantaloupe, watermelon, a bell pepper and other stuff.

I made a bird house out of a dried out pumpchini that's the bombLaughing

[Image: birdhouse007alb.jpg]

RE: What's in your garden? - Simon Peter - 06-11-2012

(06-09-2012, 06:01 AM)cletus1 Wrote: I picked three more squash yesterday. I will probably just use them in a stir fry and maybe a salad. The first veggies I get from the garden always seems like some kind of miracle to me.

Yes they do.

[Image: Jun11.jpg]

RE: What's in your garden? - Simon Peter - 06-11-2012

(06-06-2012, 06:22 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Ah-ha! Hydroponic gardening. Hmm, I suppose that is technically not cheating.Rolling Eyes And I know that you started from seed, you shared a photo. So you get extra credit for that. How is your Okra doing?

Hooked on Hydro, worked for me.Smiling
[Image: Jun11a.jpg]

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 06-16-2012

(06-10-2012, 04:44 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Quote:The way you trellis the beans with poles and boards reminds me of the community and home gardens in Fiji. They trellis sweet potatoes on poles like that.Smiling

The problem was that where I put the trellis thing there was not enough sunSad My trees block too much sun back there so I've moved my whole garden.

Today with my grandkid I planted three kinds of gourdsRazz I think other than for fun they are pointless but I think I like pointless sometimes.

Has a bird ever nested in the gourd house? I have a lot of single family birdhouses. Three out of six have occupants this year. I plan to lower the rent next season in order to get more of them filled.Smiling I have seen birdhouse apartments and always wondered which species of birds would live in them. I know swallows build their mud houses on bridges over rivers very close together.

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 06-16-2012

I don't believe the birds on the west coast occupy those apartment birdhouses, that involves a species that doesn't live here. Sorry, I can't remember what now. Purple martins maybe?

RE: What's in your garden? - Tiamat - 06-16-2012

(06-16-2012, 07:41 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I don't believe the birds on the west coast occupy those apartment birdhouses, that involves a species that doesn't live here. Sorry, I can't remember what now. Purple martins maybe?

I've seen purple martins here. And chimney swifts. I've seen some kind of bird making a nest in bird house with the small hole. I would guess any cavity dwelling bird might like those. Including starlings.

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 06-16-2012

Whether you get starlings or not has to do with the size of the entrance hole. The magic number is to not go bigger than 1 9/16" on the hole - 1 5/8" and above gets starlings. http://www.christian-history.org/image-files/stephen-stoned-uwp-180px.jpg

RE: What's in your garden? - Tiamat - 06-16-2012

I'm thinking that (image) went right over my head.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 06-16-2012

(06-16-2012, 08:11 AM)Tiamat Wrote: I'm thinking that (image) went right over my head.

Probably the wrong image.

Here is an image from 5 minutes ago. It is a terrible photo, but the mama bird was not to pleased that I opened the door to the bird house. The bird put an empty wasp nest on top of the eggs or more likely pulled the wasp nest off of the wall that was inside the bird house. Maybe I should throw it out.
[Image: 001-2.jpg]

RE: What's in your garden? - Tiamat - 06-20-2012

Minding my own business, just cleaning out a flower bed that needed it and I feel a pain on my arm. I look down and a wasp is biting me! WTF! I did not deserve that!!DryMad

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 06-20-2012

(06-16-2012, 07:34 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(06-10-2012, 04:44 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Has a bird ever nested in the gourd house? I have a lot of single family birdhouses. Three out of six have occupants this year. I plan to lower the rent next season in order to get more of them filled.Smiling I have seen birdhouse apartments and always wondered which species of birds would live in them. I know swallows build their mud houses on bridges over rivers very close together.

I just put the gourd house up I think the same day I posted the pic. No birds yet.

I think Ponder is on to something. I have a apartment style bird house, you can see it beyond the gourd house, and the swallows nest in it a little but then the sparrows take over?

I think what I have are tree swallows.This is one of them.[Image: 100_0086.jpg]

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 06-20-2012

If you're trying to attract swallows, they like living in a house on a wire hanger, that sways in the wind. I think the swaying part would discourage sparrows, too. Same size hole, 1 9/16". No bigger, or blue jays and other predators can get in and kill the babies.

Oh, and never put a perch on, either. That just gives predators something to stand on while they try and peck through the hole.

(06-20-2012, 06:00 PM)PonderThis Wrote: If you're trying to attract swallows, they like living in a house on a wire hanger, that sways in the wind. I think the swaying part would discourage sparrows, too. Same size hole, 1 9/16". No bigger, or blue jays and other predators can get in and kill the babies.

Oh, and never put a perch on, either. That just gives predators something to stand on while they try and peck through the hole.

Thanks, I've read about the hole sizes. I've never had a starling nest in anything I've put up. But if they did they wouldn't live long anywayLaughing

Every year in early spring I see these guys in my bird hotel. Maybe they simply nest lay the eggs raise a chick really quickly? Before I even know what's up?
As you can see with this pic they are obviously nesting somewhere.

[Image: 100_0033.jpg]

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 06-20-2012

I can't tell, are those violet green swallows? They nest in the same boxes that tree swallows nest in, and it seems to depend on your area which ones you get. I've had both.

I still don't think you're going to fill up an apartment house with the birds we have on the west coast. Everything I've read on those is they're for east of the Rocky Mountains, the dividing line for many birds and insects, too.

RE: What's in your garden? - Clone - 06-20-2012

(06-20-2012, 06:22 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I can't tell, are those violet green swallows? They nest in the same boxes that tree swallows nest in, and it seems to depend on your area which ones you get. I've had both.

I still don't think you're going to fill up an apartment house with the birds we have on the west coast. Everything I've read on those is they're for east of the Rocky Mountains, the dividing line for many birds and insects, too.

Yes, such as fireflies.
I guess I'm a bad mother; none of my sons have seen 'lightning bugs'.

(06-20-2012, 06:22 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I can't tell, are those violet green swallows? Not sure what they are, I looked up tree swallows and they look the same They nest in the same boxes that tree swallows nest in, and it seems to depend on your area which ones you get. I've had both.

I don't think so either, that bird hotel has been up there for many years.