RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 08-18-2012

The weathers warm enough and my helpers have some time available so we've been pouring the mud floor, at the same time I'm living in it. Most people wouldn't like living like this. I'm not even sure I do. Laughing

RE: What's in your garden? - Wonky - 08-18-2012

(08-18-2012, 08:55 AM)PonderThis Wrote: The weathers warm enough and my helpers have some time available so we've been pouring the mud floor, at the same time I'm living in it. Most people wouldn't like living like this. I'm not even sure I do. Laughing

Okay.
And that's kind of interesting.
But off topic. Now you have to go outside and whip your back with knotted rope 12 times.
Then make a guess about Clete's work force.

RE: What's in your garden? - bbqboy - 08-18-2012

(08-18-2012, 08:58 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(08-18-2012, 08:55 AM)PonderThis Wrote: The weathers warm enough and my helpers have some time available so we've been pouring the mud floor, at the same time I'm living in it. Most people wouldn't like living like this. I'm not even sure I do. Laughing

Okay.
And that's kind of interesting.
But off topic. Now you have to go outside and whip your back with knotted rope 12 times.
Then make a guess about Clete's work force.

You misunderstand. He's going to plant the floor, just like the roof.

I'm liming it pretty heavy, I'm not sure I'll be able to get anything to grow in the floor. Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 08-18-2012

(08-18-2012, 10:48 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I'm liming it pretty heavy, I'm not sure I'll be able to get anything to grow in the floor. Smiling

I like the whole idea. I'm even convinced that my outdated cement slab floor is more efficient ( in my climate) than typical insulated floor joists.

I believe it helps cool my house in the summer and helps heat my house in the winter.

Where are you getting the mud. I realize this may sound like a dumb question but I know that mud you use for rammed earth type construction can't just be any old mud so I assume that's true for your floor?

(08-18-2012, 11:37 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Where are you getting the mud. I realize this may sound like a dumb question but I know that mud you use for rammed earth type construction can't just be any old mud so I assume that's true for your floor?

I dig the mud out of a low place out in the back 40, that has mud that's about 50-60% clay and some sand and silt. I'm making a mix of 3 parts that dirt, 1 part sand, and 1 part lime.

My first test patch was done 5 days ago, and it's still easy to put a footprint in. I don't really know how long it will take to be totally dry, I've got all the doors open. I don't think lime totally hardens for something like 5 months (it has to absorb enough Co2 from the atmosphere to become limestone), but I'm figuring it probably will be walkable (perhaps with plywood strategically placed) in perhaps 10 days.

Yes, before someone mentions it, I could have used concrete which would be walkable in a week. However, I hate walking on concrete (I think it makes the body ache, and it seems like it sucks something out of you too), versus people say the earth floor remains pleasantly comfortable to walk on. It also fits in with my vision for eliminating concrete (an energy intensive product to make) from my life.

RE: What's in your garden? - Wonky - 08-18-2012

(08-18-2012, 11:56 AM)PonderThis Wrote:

I dig the mud out of a low place out in the back 40, that has mud that's about 50-60% clay and some sand and silt. I'm making a mix of 3 parts that dirt, 1 part sand, and 1 part lime.

My first test patch was done 5 days ago, and it's still easy to put a footprint in. I don't really know how long it will take to be totally dry, I've got all the doors open. I don't think lime totally hardens for something like 5 months (it has to absorb enough Co2 from the atmosphere to become limestone), but I'm figuring it probably will be walkable (perhaps with plywood strategically placed) in perhaps 10 days.

Yes, before someone mentions it, I could have used concrete which would be walkable in a week. However, I hate walking on concrete (I think it makes the body ache, and it seems like it sucks something out of you too), versus people say the earth floor remains pleasantly comfortable to walk on. It also fits in with my vision for eliminating concrete (an energy intensive product to make) from my life.

That floor will be cool. No, I mean cool.

Not to mention concrete is now very expensive and probably more so where you live. OTOH you could have truck loads of sand, gravel and mix your own cement as easily as your hippy dippy dirt floorLaughing

Plus you would also have it available for making sidewalks or whatever although if you are like me you might like pavers better.

Quote: However, I hate walking on concrete (I think it makes the body ache, and it seems like it sucks something out of you too)

I think 90 % of that is all in your head. Yes concrete is hard on your feet or joints but most of my floors are padded and carpeted. Except for the kitchen and even in the kitchen we have padding in front of the sink and even a few dollar store carpet squares .
Besides even in the high end homes they have tile floors every bit as hard as concrete.

"sucks something out of you"??:wacko::wacko:Rolling Eyes

(08-18-2012, 12:00 PM)Wonky Wrote:

That floor will be cool. No, I mean cool.

I'm not so sure. You should see how Lola splays out her body on the kitchen floor when she comes in from the heat to suck up the coolness.Big Grin
But Ponders whole setup is designed to insulate the floor from the cool ground.

(08-18-2012, 01:33 PM)tvguy Wrote: "sucks something out of you"??:wacko::wacko:Rolling Eyes

OK, working on concrete drains the life force right out of your body. Like that better? Smiling

p.s. Google "Earthen Floors". This is high-end stuff people would pay big bucks for. Laughing

(08-18-2012, 01:37 PM)tvguy Wrote: Ponders whole setup is designed to insulate the floor from the cool ground.

It's true this mud floor is going over 15" of pumice (an estimated R-9 insulation value), but that's over an earth temperature that's about 52-55 degrees, so it still stays comfy. It truly seems cool in summer and warm in winter.

RE: What's in your garden? - Clone - 08-18-2012

This is good news!
If it gets weird, you can just camp out while it dries!
How are you keeping Oscar off the stuff?

So far there's only been one set of dog prints, in one small area from 5 days ago, and that was from Chad's dog (and since troweled out - working with mud is highly forgiving!). I don't think dogs like walking in mud any more than we do. Smiling

Sounds like an occasion for brunch at 7Feathers is coming up!!!
(I look for reasons to do this) Laughing

At least one. As you know, I'm pretty available as long as you don't expect me dressed up. Smiling

(08-18-2012, 02:32 PM)PonderThis Wrote: At least one. As you know, I'm pretty available as long as you don't expect me dressed up. Smiling

It would be fun to see you dressed up and in a ponytail but I won't hold my breath! Laughing

I don't judge books by their cover; you've always been presentable every time I've seen you.

(08-18-2012, 02:01 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(08-18-2012, 01:33 PM)tvguy Wrote: "sucks something out of you"??:wacko::wacko:Rolling Eyes

OK, working on concrete drains the life force right out of your body. Like that better? Smiling

p.s. Google "Earthen Floors". This is high-end stuff people would pay big bucks for. Laughing

Well I have no doubt you are right people are paying the big bucks but certainly doesn't convince me of anything.Wink

When I'm done I'm going to have a house made out of mud, and I'm going to laugh like hell. Especially given it doesn't hardly consume any energy. Especially especially because now I have another house to rent or barter out, too. This place has been win-win for me so far.

(08-18-2012, 02:05 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(08-18-2012, 01:37 PM)tvguy Wrote: Ponders whole setup is designed to insulate the floor from the cool ground.

It's true this mud floor is going over 15" of pumice (an estimated R-9 insulation value), but that's over an earth temperature that's about 52-55 degrees, so it still stays comfy. It truly seems cool in summer and warm in winter.

But if you are insulating it from the relative cool earth in the summer and the relative warm earth in the winter then what sense does that make?

And 15 in of pumice only has an R-9 value? Well maybe that's a good thing. because with that small amount of insulation the floor will feel warm to your feet but will still mostly maintain the earths temp. Which in my opinion is the best of both worlds. Interesting stuff.