RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 05-05-2009

AmandaChantel Wrote:Well, I made a mistake in my gardening plans this year. I decided I wanted a small garden to grow things for my turtles. I went and bought different lettuce starts-salad mix, musclin, red and green butterleaf, etc. I also bought seeds, which is where the mistake came in. I have SO MUCH lettuce, I have no clue what to do with it all. Its growing now, but if anyone wants lettuce starts, let me know!

Me, me! Plus you don't have to go far. Or viceversa!

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 05-05-2009

The wind blew over a couple of my broccoli plants. No big deal but it made me think about tomato cages. I'll need to make some out of left over wire fencing. I am so looking forward to getting the garden planted. I'll post photos of course. Smiling

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 05-05-2009

cletus1 Wrote:The wind blew over a couple of my broccoli plants. No big deal but it made me think about tomato cages. I'll need to make some out of left over wire fencing. I am so looking forward to getting the garden planted. I'll post photos of course. Smiling

Of course Big Grin I had this buddy who rolled up some fencing to make tomato cages, about 4 feet high and maybe two in, mesh, He stacked them on two sides and fastened them to some old pipe . I asked how in the world he was going to pull a tomato through a 2 in square hole and he got this funny look on his face like OOPS Laughing Laughing :shock:

Re: What's in your garden? - Tribble - 05-06-2009

tvguy Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:The wind blew over a couple of my broccoli plants. No big deal but it made me think about tomato cages. I'll need to make some out of left over wire fencing. I am so looking forward to getting the garden planted. I'll post photos of course. Smiling

Of course Big Grin I had this buddy who rolled up some fencing to make tomato cages, about 4 feet high and maybe two in, mesh, He stacked them on two sides and fastened them to some old pipe . I asked how in the world he was going to pull a tomato through a 2 in square hole and he got this funny look on his face like OOPS Laughing Laughing :shock:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 05-06-2009

tvguy Wrote:

Yeah, well my fence has larger square openings, but I have still had difficulty getting some tomatoes out because the branch stalks often block part of the hole. My tomato plants always seem too big for the flimsy cages that you can buy.

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 05-06-2009

Quote:My tomato plants always seem too big for the flimsy cages that you can buy.

Yup but they get you started and then you can improvise Big Grin I take pipe and drive in to the ground so the whole mess doesn't fall over and then I add to the cage with whatever.

Starting out with something that will work without having to mess with it is a whole new concept Razz

With the right type of hybrid plants you can get a but load of maters with out needing a giant plant, but giant plants are fun.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 05-08-2009

Here is the new garden. The gates go on the fence today. OMG what is that darkness in the photo? Cletus ponders last conversation with DW. Don't you dare cut down one more tree or else.... Smiling The garden needs a minimum of 6 hours of sun. It gets more than that.

[Image: HPIM0234.jpg]

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 05-08-2009

Quote:The garden needs a minimum of 6 hours of sun.

No doubt, but what does "needs" mean? and no plant is the same, some do better with out full sun but many do best with full sun. I have the same problem , over the years I have grown a lot of trees and stuff to the west of my garden so now the shade comes early for most of my garden.
IMO that's better the being shaded in the morning, there can be an advantage when it 100 degrees and the plants get some afternoon shade.

Anyway I'm stretching my garden to a more sunny spot and I'll eventually do away with the more shady old one. Big Grin

I heard it from a Master Gardener on the news that most vegetable plant do best with at least 6 hours of direct sunlight. I have read the same in gardening books. Here it is on the web.

Sunlight â?? It seems obvious that all vegetable plants need light, don't choose your location according to appearance, choose it according to what your plants will need. The best and most efficient source of light is the sun. The sun also warms the air and the soil. Choose a site that receives at least 6 hours of direct sunlight each day. More sunlight is even better. Prune or take out trees that hinder the sunlight from hitting the garden.

http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp ... 1241832763

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 05-08-2009

cletus1 Wrote:I heard it from a Master Gardener on the news that most vegetable plant do best with at least 6 hours of direct sunlight. I have read the same in gardening books. Here it is on the web.

Sunlight â?? It seems obvious that all vegetable plants need light, don't choose your location according to appearance, choose it according to what your plants will need. The best and most efficient source of light is the sun. The sun also warms the air and the soil. Choose a site that receives at least 6 hours of direct sunlight each day. More sunlight is even better. Prune or take out trees that hinder the sunlight from hitting the garden.

http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp ... 1241832763

RightyoH Cleter I wasn't doubting you or the comment, I was just saying that some plants need more sun then others and therefore the comment most vegetable plant do best with at least 6 hours of direct sunlight is obvious some plants might do shitty with only 6 lousy hours Laughing Laughing

Sheesh who only gets 6 hours of sun? some guy with a garden in the bottom of an old missile silo Razz

Anyway if I had no choice and only had six hours I would still plant but IMO the more sun the better for most stuff..

One year I put in a nice garden and ended up taking a job out of state and just letting the thing go. The amazing thing was that even with no care other then turning on a sprinkler there was a ton of veggies buried in the weeds when fall came. It sort of taught me a lesson, you can't hardly screw up a garden so bad that it won't be worth it Big Grin

Re: What's in your garden? - Poon56 - 05-08-2009

Razzberries and lots of them gonna make some fine jam and vodka with the little darlings. Nice pic C. Smiling

tvguy Wrote:RightyoH Cleter I wasn't doubting you or the comment, I was just saying that some plants need more sun then others and therefore the comment most vegetable plant do best with at least 6 hours of direct sunlight is obvious some plants might do shitty with only 6 lousy hours Laughing Laughing

Sheesh who only gets 6 hours of sun? some guy with a garden in the bottom of an old missile silo Razz

Anyway if I had no choice and only had six hours I would still plant but IMO the more sun the better for most stuff..

One year I put in a nice garden and ended up taking a job out of state and just letting the thing go. The amazing thing was that even with no care other then turning on a sprinkler there was a ton of veggies buried in the weeds when fall came. It sort of taught me a lesson, you can't hardly screw up a garden so bad that it won't be worth it Big Grin

Exactly, there are however, plants that do better in filtered light. Artichokes and asparagus and all of the lettuces don't like a lot of sun. That is why Castroville California is the artichoke capital of the world. Smiling Salinas California is also nicknamed the salad bowl because the fog and cool marine climate is well suited for lettuces. Lettuces will bolt if there is early warm and direct sunlight. My Arugula bolts every year, but I break off the main stem and let it go anyway. The leaves are still good. Smiling

I have enough lettuce I'm cutting down trees tomorrow. Laughing

Re: What's in your garden? - Kitten - 05-08-2009

Hello beautiful people.

I'm planting the usual suspects and trying out Okra. It's just a little popular here. Smiling

I'm planting lots of Okra. I'll post photos when they are blooming their yellow flowers. Smiling

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 05-08-2009

The only thing good about Okra is it's pretty yellow flower. I don't mind it too much in gumbo, because it's not the star attraction.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 05-08-2009

cletus1 Wrote:
tvguy Wrote:RightyoH Cleter I wasn't doubting you or the comment, I was just saying that some plants need more sun then others and therefore the comment most vegetable plant do best with at least 6 hours of direct sunlight is obvious some plants might do shitty with only 6 lousy hours Laughing Laughing

Exactly, there are however, plants that do better in filtered light. Artichokes and asparagus and all of the lettuces don't like a lot of sun. That is why Castroville California is the artichoke capital of the world. Smiling Salinas California is also nicknamed the salad bowl because the fog and cool marine climate is well suited for lettuces. Lettuces will bolt if there is early warm and direct sunlight. My Arugula bolts every year, but I break off the main stem and let it go anyway. The leaves are still good. Smiling

I have enough lettuce I'm cutting down trees tomorrow. Laughing

My favorite asparagus field gets very filtered light. The lettuce on the porch does fine much longer into the season than that in the beds.

Re: What's in your garden? - Cometmom - 05-09-2009

Okra is yucky and slimey. I remember my mom cooking it and I gagged everytime. Crying

My DH is building me a raised bed garden tomorrow for Mother's day. Our backyard is not big enough for a big garden. I can't wait to start planting. Smiling

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 05-09-2009

CM, I would hate to insult your moms cooking so close to Mothers Day, but fried okra is really good and even stewed okra if cooked and seasoned nicely. Slimy stuff rocks.

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 05-09-2009

My wife and I both love Okra, we usually fry battered Okra with yellow crooknecks and maybe potatoes and for breakfast often with eggs.

Fried Okra with catfish is awesome. I'm no cook but my wife chops the Okra in to small pieces and it is NEVER yucky or slimey when it's fried.

As far as the plants that do well no so much sun , that's great, I'll keep my old garden spot for those Big Grin

My green beans are being eaten?? Sad I was thinking it might be snails but I went out last night and I didn't see any insects at all? something is also eating the tops of my onions, I'm wondering if a jack rabbit is going through my fence?

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 05-09-2009

At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this.

This feature is a pain in the ASS :x :x I don't freaking care if someone else freaking posted while I was typing!!!

All this does IMO is prevents a post from being submitted and sometimes I hit submit and don't wait and make sure it actually WAS submitted.