RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 06-05-2013

I Thought I would have had some red tomatoes by June first. I think the weather messed that up.But it won't be all that long.......

[Image: garden6-52013_zps3cfa9581.jpg]

[Image: swallowbaby_zps9b4efb60.jpg]

I think is the genuine baby swallow and the other pics I took were of mom or dad.

RE: What's in your garden? - Tiamat - 06-05-2013

I got green maters. Other than that, it's lettuce and it's starting to get close to bolting.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 06-17-2013

(06-05-2013, 09:38 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I got green maters. Other than that, it's lettuce and it's starting to get close to bolting.
I harvested some cabbage, snow peas and a bunch of broccoli this morning. Those are the only cool weather vegetables that I planted. The wife just took some to work. I told her that her co-workers will probably still hate her after they take the free veggies. She responded "not all of them." What a great attitude. Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 06-17-2013

(06-17-2013, 07:42 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(06-05-2013, 09:38 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I got green maters. Other than that, it's lettuce and it's starting to get close to bolting.
I harvested some cabbage, snow peas and a bunch of broccoli this morning. Those are the only cool weather vegetables that I planted. The wife just took some to work. I told her that her co-workers will probably still hate her after they take the free veggies. She responded "not all of them." What a great attitude. Smiling

My snow peas were done a couple of weeks ago. I'm surprised you still had good ones this late. Maybe Mine were in too much sun or they were just older.

RE: What's in your garden? - Scar - 06-17-2013

(06-17-2013, 09:10 AM)tvguy Wrote:

My snow peas were done a couple of weeks ago. I'm surprised you still had good ones this late. Maybe Mine were in too much sun or they were just older.

Dang. Mine are only about 8 inches now, can you plant them before the last frost?

(06-17-2013, 09:15 AM)Scar Wrote:

Dang. Mine are only about 8 inches now, can you plant them before the last frost?

Purty sure you can.Smiling

[Image: garden6172013004_zps50d8029a.jpg]

[Image: garden6172013007_zpsf06ebc26.jpg]

(06-17-2013, 09:31 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Purty sure you can.Smiling

I saw peas in a lower valley that were producing well last week, but none around here. We had a late frost that really put a hurt on early crops, our cherries put out about 10% of last years crop.

RE: What's in your garden? - Valuesize - 06-17-2013

These photos are from my winter garden taken on Jan. 2nd 2011. I don't recall if they were beans or peas.

[Image: hce3.jpg]

[Image: zxw.JPG]

(06-17-2013, 09:41 AM)Valuesize Wrote:

These photos are from my winter garden taken on Jan. 2nd 2011. I don't recall if they were beans or peas.

Those are peas. Where was this garden?

(06-17-2013, 09:46 AM)tvguy Wrote: Those are peas. Where was this garden?

NE Grants Pass.

That is nice! Too cold for that here. Is that blobs of diatomite?

(06-17-2013, 09:54 AM)Scar Wrote:
(06-17-2013, 07:42 AM)cletus1 Wrote: I harvested some cabbage, snow peas and a bunch of broccoli this morning. Those are the only cool weather vegetables that I planted. The wife just took some to work. I told her that her co-workers will probably still hate her after they take the free veggies. She responded "not all of them." What a great attitude. Smiling

It's snow.

(06-17-2013, 09:57 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(06-17-2013, 09:54 AM)Scar Wrote:
(06-17-2013, 09:10 AM)tvguy Wrote: My snow peas were done a couple of weeks ago. I'm surprised you still had good ones this late. Maybe Mine were in too much sun or they were just older.

It's snow.
Color me impressed. What a great climate you live in. A few friends grow some winter crops here also but in green houses that also house their rabbits and chickens.

(06-17-2013, 12:50 PM)Scar Wrote: Color me impressed. What a great climate you live in. A few friends grow some winter crops here also but in green houses that also house their rabbits and chickens.

I planted at the end of September. The starts did better than the seeds did. The purple and green bok-choy grew best. Those are the plants with the wide leaves. The broccoli did ok but the cauliflower turned a shade of brown after a freeze and was nasty. The dark red row at the top left were beets. They pretty much stayed as you see them. The little plants next to the purple bok-choy was spinach. The leaves stayed small and tough.

RE: What's in your garden? - Scar - 06-18-2013

(06-17-2013, 06:07 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(06-17-2013, 12:50 PM)Scar Wrote: Color me impressed. What a great climate you live in. A few friends grow some winter crops here also but in green houses that also house their rabbits and chickens.

I planted at the end of September. The starts did better than the seeds did. The purple and green bok-choy grew best. Those are the plants with the wide leaves. The broccoli did ok but the cauliflower turned a shade of brown after a freeze and was nasty. The dark red row at the top left were beets. They pretty much stayed as you see them. The little plants next to the purple bok-choy was spinach. The leaves stayed small and tough.

Looks like you got some bugs eatin the crops. Do you have some super bugs that live through the winter?

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 06-20-2013

I am harvesting all the cabbage today to make room for more summer squash, cantaloupe and honeydew melon. I will get two crops this year from the same patch of garden.The Greenleaf Industries plant store begins selling plant starts for half price around this time of year. Also, many of the starts are pretty large from being in the green houses for longer times.

I planted 8 mounds of Yellow Doll watermelon this year. I think they are one of the best tasting watermelons. A good watermelon is very sweet and crisp and these small yellow fleshed variety are both.

RE: What's in your garden? - Tiamat - 06-22-2013

Trying hard to sprout some new foxglove, canterbury bells, delphinium for next years. Some cabbage is heading and some cilantro is sprouting. The carrots are up, if unevenly. The tomatoes are green and there are some pepper. The cucumbers and zukes are a bit puny. The dahlias are getting ready to explode! I want to experiment with using baking soda to kill the crab grass.

RE: What's in your garden? - Tiamat - 06-23-2013

Does cabbage usually re head? I left the base of a cabbage plant I harvested in the winter. And now there is a small head on it. I didn't know they could do that.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 06-23-2013

(06-23-2013, 09:49 AM)Tiamat Wrote: Does cabbage usually re head? I left the base of a cabbage plant I harvested in the winter. And now there is a small head on it. I didn't know they could do that.

Yes they can sprout another head or two. They wont get all that big, but if you remove all but one of the heads, you will have another small cabbage in a while.