RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 05-09-2009

tvguy Wrote:My wife and I both love Okra, we usually fry battered Okra with yellow crooknecks and maybe potatoes and for breakfast often with eggs.

My green beans are being eaten?? Sad I was thinking it might be snails but I went out last night and I didn't see any insects at all? something is also eating the tops of my onions, I'm wondering if a jack rabbit is going through my fence?

I'm going to try okra that way, it sounds good. I do cook so I'll figure it out,

As for your string beans, I bet it is the cucumber beetle. It is the one that looks like a yellow lady bug with around 6 black spots. They are tricky and hide. Watch your plants for a while from a short distance and see if you can ID the insect. Sevin insecticide works well. I only use Sevin when plants are being devoured by bugs. Once that plant is larger in can survive even if there are a few insects.

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 05-09-2009

Quote:As for your string beans, I bet it is the cucumber beetle. It is the one that looks like a yellow lady bug with around 6 black spots. They are tricky and hide. Watch your plants for a while from a short distance and see if you can ID the insect. Sevin insecticide works well. I only use Sevin when plants are being devoured by bugs. Once that plant is larger in can survive even if there are a few insects.

Yeah Thanks for the idea and I know exactly what you are talking about but I'm pretty sure it's too early for those, they are easy to see and in the middle of the day if you just brush the plants they fly around.

I think it's been too cold for them.

I absolutely hate pesticides here's a link to a few ways to avoid using them that I might try...http://gardening.yardener.com/Yardeners ... berBeetles.

I will admit I've used seven before but rarely and it was like you said when the plants were being eaten right as they tried to grow out of the ground. I don't even use Roundup, I live on a full acre and I'm kind of proud to say I've NEVER used it in 25 years.

I don't want or care to have my place all look like a mowed park, I think some weeds and piles of brush are beneficial. It bothers me that people spray that shit everywhere instead of mowing or weed eating or just leaving it alone.

Pesticide rant </> Smiling

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 05-09-2009

speaking of bugs these little bastards(squash bugs) will wipe out your pumpkins....

[Image: Squash%20bug.JPG]

I control them with soapy water and just plain old smashing them with my fingers. I found out that the cumber Beatles don't die as easy with the soapy water but if you spray them they can't fly and are easy to catch Big Grin

Re: What's in your garden? - Cometmom - 05-11-2009

Got a question about dirt.

Where should I get the soil for my raised bed? Someone said the dirt at the dump is good and a good price.

Biomass????
Hilton????

OR??????

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 05-11-2009

I've heard good things about Bio Mass soil.

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 05-12-2009

Tia Wrote:I've heard good things about Bio Mass soil.

Unless they've changed it you need to add your soil to it, water won't even penetrate the stuff as it has way too much ash.

Re: What's in your garden? - Cometmom - 05-12-2009

tvguy Wrote:

Unless they've changed it you need to add your soil to it, water won't even penetrate the stuff as it has way too much ash.
So do you have any ideas?

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 05-12-2009

I do not like Biomass soil very much even their top of the line stuff with coconut mulch. Biomass was buying all of its " base" soil for $2.00 a yard from panel products in Rogue River which is ground up dirt and bark from the old log yard. They add organic material too it the sell it for $16 per yard. There is a place in Central point next to the Grange fertilizer plant that has the same material. All this material is nutrient poor and the base material compacts easily like TV said which is not good for a garden. Why not just fertilize your soil and eventually build the soil with compost? Oh that's right you don't compost since it is a enviro/liberal thingy. Laughing

Cometmom Wrote:
tvguy Wrote:

Yes I do Big Grin I think Highbanks sand and gravel is the best deal if you have a 3/4 ton truck because they charge a 15 dollar minimum for that you can get a yard and a half and the guy that loads it has something like a 5 yard bucket and he aint stingy Razz so you end up getting a lot Laughing

I bought a load of their garden mix and a load of topsoil and I blend that with my own soil because the stuff you buy anywhere is basically dead Confused

I think the stuff they sell at Rogue disposal is OK. The stuff at Biomass unless they've changed it is waterproof. I planted two palm trees in that stuff and they weren't doing well after a couple of weeks I took a shovel and dug sown and it was bone dry :shock: , your OK if you slow drip the water for 24 hours or so.

tvguy Wrote:
Cometmom Wrote:
tvguy Wrote:Unless they've changed it you need to add your soil to it, water won't even penetrate the stuff as it has way too much ash.

Yes I do Big Grin I think Highbanks sand and gravel is the best deal if you have a 3/4 ton truck because they charge a 15 dollar minimum for that you can get a yard and a half and the guy that loads it has something like a 5 yard bucket and he aint stingy Razz so you end up getting a lot Laughing

I bought a load of their garden mix and a load of topsoil and I blend that with my own soil because the stuff you buy anywhere is basically dead Confused

I think the stuff they sell at Rogue disposal is OK. The stuff at Biomass unless they've changed it is waterproof. I planted two palm trees in that stuff and they weren't doing well after a couple of weeks I took a shovel and dug sown and it was bone dry :shock: , your OK if you slow drip the water for 24 hours or so.

Thanks. Maybe I will just get some bags at the Grange. Crying

Quote:Thanks. Maybe I will just get some bags at the Grange.

Try Bi mart or anywhere but the grange.

Try this lady here CM, I spoke with her the other day, I bet she would let you load as much soil as you need for very little.

http://medford.craigslist.org/grd/1163945918.html

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 05-12-2009

cletus1 Wrote:I do not like Biomass soil very much even their top of the line stuff with coconut mulch. Biomass was buying all of its " base" soil for $2.00 a yard from panel products in Rogue River which is ground up dirt and bark from the old log yard. They add organic material too it the sell it for $16 per yard. There is a place in Central point next to the Grange fertilizer plant that has the same material. All this material is nutrient poor and the base material compacts easily like TV said which is not good for a garden. Why not just fertilize your soil and eventually build the soil with compost? Oh that's right you don't compost since it is a enviro/liberal thingy. Laughing

I guess biomass changed. We used to get good stuff there 10 years ago or so. If I grind up my eggshells and put them in my coffeegrounds and put them on the 'maters and roses, am I an enviro/libby?

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 05-12-2009

Tia Wrote:I guess biomass changed. We used to get good stuff there 10 years ago or so. If I grind up my eggshells and put them in my coffeegrounds and put them on the 'maters and roses, am I an enviro/libby?

No, I think it means you cancelled your garbage service. Big Grin jk

tvguy Wrote:Try this lady here CM, I spoke with her the other day, I bet she would let you load as much soil as you need for very little.

http://medford.craigslist.org/grd/1163945918.html

Thanks TV. I sent her an email.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 05-13-2009

My garden is almost planted. I am at the point where I need to plant something in the last spaces. In the beginning of my planting I am trying to fit as much as possible into the garden and by the end I just want to plant something that takes up the rest space so I can quit planting. Big Grin

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 05-13-2009

cletus1 Wrote:My garden is almost planted. I am at the point where I need to plant something in the last spaces. In the beginning of my planting I am trying to fit as much as possible into the garden and by the end I just want to plant something that takes up the rest space so I can quit planting. Big Grin

My gardening has been totally interrupted by this new habit I've recently taken up. it's weird although I used to do it a lot in the past, it's called working. For the most part it sucks and makes you tired but there's something about Friday and getting paid that supposedly makes it all worth while.

I forgot to check the weather last night and I never covered anything and there was a frost Sad In a little while I'll go see if there's any damage.

Re: What's in your garden? - tagalong - 05-13-2009

Try Bi mart or anywhere but the grange.[/quote]

Be careful of True Value "HYPONEX." Potting Soil, 20 qt. We bought several bag, forget the price, but noticed chunks of wood, pea size and slightly larger rocks, so sifted it throught a screen frame. About 1/8 of the bag I tossed on the road to my back wood. Next time I buy any Potting Soil, will look for a break open bag to see what and how it looks.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 05-13-2009

tagalong Wrote:Try Bi mart or anywhere but the grange.

Be careful of True Value "HYPONEX." Potting Soil, 20 qt. We bought several bag, forget the price, but noticed chunks of wood, pea size and slightly larger rocks, so sifted it throught a screen frame. About 1/8 of the bag I tossed on the road to my back wood. Next time I buy any Potting Soil, will look for a break open bag to see what and how it looks.[/quote]

I think that goes back to the 'walmart' issue discussed in a different thread. Companies are packaging one kind of material one kind of bag at one kind of price, while selling a different, inferior or superior product for a higher or lower price depending on the store that is selling it.

Re: What's in your garden? - Cometmom - 05-14-2009

tvguy Wrote:
Quote:Thanks. Maybe I will just get some bags at the Grange.

Try Bi mart or anywhere but the grange.

What is wrong with the Grange potting soil? I have bought alot there for my container plants like roses and it's always been ok. I know it tends to be a little spendy.