RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 01-23-2014

(01-23-2014, 08:43 AM)Valuesize Wrote: c@Ponder,
While looking through photos of all the varieties of Sedum , I came across many using it for roofing also.

Well of course. Here I am giving you guys top notch latest information, and what do I get for it. Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - Tiamat - 02-01-2014

Oh, February. It's such a tease. After two or three months of being pretty damn cold, we get these glimmer's of hope. Soon we will have crocus's and then daffies, and then tulips and primroses and pansies. You start to think you might be able to plant something out there. The hardest part is waiting. But buying something too early does not go over too well. Wait too late, and you get a sad specimen. There's pruning, and getting soil ready, and cutting too eager spring crops, but you have to wait for everything else. Even peas.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 02-01-2014

(02-01-2014, 12:02 AM)Tiamat Wrote: Oh, February. It's such a tease. After two or three months of being pretty damn cold, we get these glimmer's of hope. Soon we will have crocus's and then daffies, and then tulips and primroses and pansies. You start to think you might be able to plant something out there. The hardest part is waiting. But buying something too early does not go over too well. Wait too late, and you get a sad specimen. There's pruning, and getting soil ready, and cutting too eager spring crops, but you have to wait for everything else. Even peas.

I stopped planting a winter garden because I was getting a little burned out from gardening year round. I also found I had more enthusiasm for gardening in the spring when I had not been doing it in the winter.

If you can't wait to get in the dirt, you can get a jump start on cool weather crops by planting some seeds in mid February. In fact, you can plant peas right now if you want. I plan to buy broccoli, cabbage, lettuce and spinach starts as soon as I see them in nurseries. I should be able to harvest by the end of May. Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - Tiamat - 02-01-2014

(02-01-2014, 09:11 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(02-01-2014, 12:02 AM)Tiamat Wrote: Oh, February. It's such a tease. After two or three months of being pretty damn cold, we get these glimmer's of hope. Soon we will have crocus's and then daffies, and then tulips and primroses and pansies. You start to think you might be able to plant something out there. The hardest part is waiting. But buying something too early does not go over too well. Wait too late, and you get a sad specimen. There's pruning, and getting soil ready, and cutting too eager spring crops, but you have to wait for everything else. Even peas.

I stopped planting a winter garden because I was getting a little burned out from gardening year round. I also found I had more enthusiasm for gardening in the spring when I had not been doing it in the winter.

If you can't wait to get in the dirt, you can get a jump start on cool weather crops by planting some seeds in mid February. In fact, you can plant peas right now if you want. I plan to buy broccoli, cabbage, lettuce and spinach starts as soon as I see them in nurseries. I should be able to harvest by the end of May. Smiling

I don't know about the peas. I've never had luck with peas planted before March. They say you can, but mine don't germinate. And the few that do, just sit there and don't grow until April and May.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 03-01-2014

It's time to start your seeds indoors or in a greenhouse. The seeds that I start this early are varieties of peppers, eggplants, cucumbers and melons. Its time to start tomatoes from seed too, but I won't bother with tomatoes because I get starts really cheap at Greenleaf. I'll start my zukes and other squash in a couple of weeks because the they big quick and I don't want to have to transplant them.

I am not going to use grow lights; I am going to germinate my seed starts in seed trays in my little greenhouse. I keep a portable heater ready just in case it gets below freezing and it will.

You can also start cool weather plants like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, spinach and lettuce although it's getting a little late. I plan to just buy a few starts of cabbage and broccoli this year.

I am also going to try to find a few brocoflower plants. I can't remember what they are really called, but I had them grilled and they were great.

Happy gardening.

RE: What's in your garden? - Jeep - 03-08-2014

My mom has decided that she wants her massive compost pile turned into a gherkin cucumber garden this yearBig Grin. So, off we go to buy fencing........DAMN DEER.

RE: What's in your garden? - chuck white - 03-08-2014

(03-08-2014, 09:12 AM)Jeep Wrote: My mom has decided that she wants her massive compost pile turned into a gherkin cucumber garden this yearBig Grin. So, off we go to buy fencing........DAMN DEER.

A tall fence I hope.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 03-08-2014

(03-08-2014, 09:52 AM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-08-2014, 09:12 AM)Jeep Wrote: My mom has decided that she wants her massive compost pile turned into a gherkin cucumber garden this yearBig Grin. So, off we go to buy fencing........DAMN DEER.

A tall fence I hope.

I had a small garden in my backyard with a 5 foot fence. The deer never jumped over it to get into the garden although they would jump the 5 foot fence on the property line. I now have a deer and orchard fence that is around 7 feet tall. So now they eat the roses in the front yard. Damn deer.

RE: What's in your garden? - kadylady - 03-08-2014

(03-01-2014, 06:03 AM)cletus1 Wrote: It's time to start your seeds indoors or in a greenhouse. The seeds that I start this early are varieties of peppers, eggplants, cucumbers and melons. Its time to start tomatoes from seed too, but I won't bother with tomatoes because I get starts really cheap at Greenleaf. I'll start my zukes and other squash in a couple of weeks because the they big quick and I don't want to have to transplant them.

I am not going to use grow lights; I am going to germinate my seed starts in seed trays in my little greenhouse. I keep a portable heater ready just in case it gets below freezing and it will.

You can also start cool weather plants like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, spinach and lettuce although it's getting a little late. I plan to just buy a few starts of cabbage and broccoli this year.

I am also going to try to find a few brocoflower plants. I can't remember what they are really called, but I had them grilled and they were great.

Happy gardening.
Is Greenleaf open? I bought some kale starts the other day. Left them on my porch... where my chickens ate them down to nubs. Sad My bad.

RE: What's in your garden? - orygunluvr - 03-08-2014

Bimart has tomato starts that are called oregon spring. Supposed to have been developed for our area to be a little more frost tolerant. Does anyone have any experience with them? They look like an early girl in the pictures. I bought a six pack of them.

RE: What's in your garden? - Wonky - 03-08-2014

(03-08-2014, 06:36 PM)orygunluvr Wrote: Bimart has tomato starts that are called oregon spring. Supposed to have been developed for our area to be a little more frost tolerant. Does anyone have any experience with them? They look like an early girl in the pictures. I bought a six pack of them.

I think the tomatoes I get at Safeway come from those plants. Laughing

I envy you folks who can grow tomatoes. I have oak trees all over the place and find it hard to get enough sun to ripen anything. Maybe I'll get TVg over here to cut down the trees and sell fire wood. (TVg was a logger in the Sahara forest. (Desert? Well, yeah, NOW)

(03-08-2014, 07:51 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(03-08-2014, 06:36 PM)orygunluvr Wrote: Bimart has tomato starts that are called oregon spring. Supposed to have been developed for our area to be a little more frost tolerant. Does anyone have any experience with them? They look like an early girl in the pictures. I bought a six pack of them.

I envy you folks who can grow tomatoes. I have oak trees all over the place and find it hard to get enough sun to ripen anything. Maybe I'll get TVg over here to cut down the trees and sell fire wood. (TVg was a logger in the Sahara forest. (Desert? Well, yeah, NOW)

It's easy, use potS and put them in the sun.

RE: What's in your garden? - Wonky - 03-08-2014

(03-08-2014, 08:04 PM)orygunluvr Wrote:

Yeah. FIRST ya gotta have a spot that gets sun for at least a couple of hours. Maybe pots with a GPS?

(03-08-2014, 08:10 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(03-08-2014, 08:04 PM)orygunluvr Wrote:

Yeah. FIRST ya gotta have a spot that gets sun for at least a couple of hours. Maybe pots with a GPS?

I could use firewood wonk and you could use some sun.Wink

RE: What's in your garden? - Tiamat - 03-08-2014

(03-01-2014, 06:03 AM)cletus1 Wrote: It's time to start your seeds indoors or in a greenhouse. The seeds that I start this early are varieties of peppers, eggplants, cucumbers and melons. Its time to start tomatoes from seed too, but I won't bother with tomatoes because I get starts really cheap at Greenleaf. I'll start my zukes and other squash in a couple of weeks because the they big quick and I don't want to have to transplant them.

Happy gardening.

Romanesca?

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 03-09-2014

(03-08-2014, 12:05 PM)kadylady Wrote:

Happy gardening.
Is Greenleaf open? I bought some kale starts the other day. Left them on my porch... where my chickens ate them down to nubs. Sad My bad.
No. They open the last Thursday of March.

I grow the Medford Tomato. Greenleaf usually has lots of them in stock in April. They really do well in this climate.

http://myfolia.com/plants/10-tomato-solanum-lycopersicum/varieties/19827-medford

Here is a review of the Oregon Spring tomato variety. It does not rate high in taste, but it is an early producer.

http://www.plantertomato.com/2010/07/review-oregon-spring-tomato.html

(03-08-2014, 11:22 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Happy gardening.

Romanesca?
Thats it.
[Image: romanesco.jpg]

RE: What's in your garden? - orygunluvr - 03-09-2014

(03-09-2014, 10:23 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

I grow the Medford Tomato. Greenleaf usually has lots of them in stock in April. They really do well in this climate.

http://myfolia.com/plants/10-tomato-solanum-lycopersicum/varieties/19827-medford

Here is a review of the Oregon Spring tomato variety. It does not rate high in taste, but it is an early producer.

http://www.plantertomato.com/2010/07/review-oregon-spring-tomato.html

I typically do a six pack of early girls then a few sweet 100 and a few sungold and a six pack of brandy wine. Then when the gallon pots go on sale i buy a few of those too. Last year the blooms fried on my brandywines so they didn't do as good as normal.

RE: What's in your garden? - Valuesize - 03-09-2014

(03-09-2014, 10:17 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(03-08-2014, 12:05 PM)kadylady Wrote: Is Greenleaf open? I bought some kale starts the other day. Left them on my porch... where my chickens ate them down to nubs. Sad My bad.
No. They open the last Thursday of March.

You may be able to purchase from their farm property. Give them a call...

Our main office and growing site is located at:
2970 Lower River Road
Grants Pass, OR 97526
541-474-0571