RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 05-14-2016

(05-14-2016, 09:33 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(05-14-2016, 08:52 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Something to do this weekend for gardeners. I am going mostly for the free soil test they are offering. I also want to get a few unusual vegetable starts like white eggplants, blond cucumbers and some heirloom tomatoes. 

http://www.co.josephine.or.us/Calendar.asp?View=EVENT&EventID=4593

We never missed this garden show, it really is a good one. I don't think we have anything like it up here but we've been in an apartment so  I've never searched one out.

We have a few things in pots but since we hope to FINALLY get a house we went light. My wife wanted these strawberry plants for Mother's Day so we have a hanging pot of these. A first for us. Anyone had them?

[Image: 589d252babed875f00e042cf07866177.jpg]

You are probably referring to the Spring Garden Fair which happens in April. I never miss that one except this year I actually missed it. 

The Spring Fling is new. This is the first annual of the event. I hope it is sussessful. I know one of the organizers and she is an incredible gardener. Her previous home in had a back yard garden you could almost get lost in.  Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - GPnative - 05-14-2016

(05-14-2016, 08:52 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Something to do this weekend for gardeners. I am going mostly for the free soil test they are offering. I also want to get a few unusual vegetable starts like white eggplants, blond cucumbers and some heirloom tomatoes. 

Hey, thanks. We were already going garden plant shopping today so we will check this out!

RE: What's in your garden? - Valuesize - 05-14-2016

(05-14-2016, 09:57 AM)cletus1 Wrote: You are probably referring to the Spring Garden Fair which happens in April. I never miss that one except this year I actually missed it. 

The Spring Fling is new. This is the first annual of the event. I hope it is sussessful. I know one of the organizers and she is an incredible gardener. Her previous home in had a back yard garden you could almost get lost in.  Smiling

I was. 

Something new in GP?  Surprised  Razz  I hope it's successful also.... or sussessful if that's better.  Razz

RE: What's in your garden? - Someones Dad - 05-14-2016

(05-14-2016, 09:33 AM)Valuesize Wrote:

We never missed this garden show, it really is a good one. I don't think we have anything like it up here but we've been in an apartment so  I've never searched one out.

We have a few things in pots but since we hope to FINALLY get a house we went light. My wife wanted these strawberry plants for Mother's Day so we have a hanging pot of these. A first for us. Anyone had them?

[Image: 589d252babed875f00e042cf07866177.jpg]

Hula Berry, right?  I saw these plants for sale the other day.  Supposed to taste like a pineapple?

RE: What's in your garden? - Valuesize - 05-14-2016

(05-14-2016, 05:06 PM)Someones Dad Wrote: Hula Berry, right?  I saw these plants for sale the other day.  Supposed to taste like a pineapple?

Yes, that was it. Home Depot is the only place I have seen them. Must be GMO right? They sell them in a four pack with one being a required, normal, red strawberry plant.

(05-14-2016, 06:42 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(05-14-2016, 05:06 PM)Someones Dad Wrote: Hula Berry, right?  I saw these plants for sale the other day.  Supposed to taste like a pineapple?

Yes, that was it. Home Depot is the only place I have seen them. Must be GMO right? They sell them in a four pack with one being a required, normal, red strawberry plant.

I saw it at Eagle Point Wal Mart.  And yes, with he fourth being the pollinator.  I showed the picture I took of the sign and showed my sister, the first thing she said was "EWW...  Bet it's GMO".

I would be interested in hearing how they taste.

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 05-14-2016

(05-14-2016, 06:47 PM)Someones Dad Wrote:

I saw it at Eagle Point Wal Mart.  And yes, with he fourth being the pollinator.  I showed the picture I took of the sign and showed my sister, the first thing she said was "EWW...  Bet it's GMO".

I actually don't see how there could be an improvement in the taste. There's hardly anything better tasting to me than eating ripe strawberries right off the plant rinsed with cold water.

BTW do you believe in pseudo science like your wife? Anyway Those white strawberries look like crap to me LOL

RE: What's in your garden? - chuck white - 05-14-2016

Dip them in red dye #2 and they make a good looking strawberry.

(05-14-2016, 07:57 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-14-2016, 06:47 PM)Someones Dad Wrote:

I actually don't see how there could be an improvement in the taste. There's hardly anything better tasting to me than eating ripe strawberries right off the plant rinsed with cold water.

BTW do you believe in pseudo science like your wife? Anyway Those white strawberries look like crap to me LOL

Well I said "sister" not wife, and the packaging for the berry says they taste like pineapple. I just wanted to know if it was true.

RE: What's in your garden? - bbqboy - 05-15-2016

Why not a pineapple that tastes like pinapple? Too complex?

RE: What's in your garden? - Cuzz - 05-15-2016

(05-15-2016, 07:30 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Why not a pineapple that tastes like pinapple? Too complex?

I agree. Crossing flavors between the species... no good can come from that. What is the word coming to anyway?

RE: What's in your garden? - chuck white - 05-15-2016

Why not a strawberry that taste like hamburger?

RE: What's in your garden? - Wonky3 - 05-15-2016

(05-15-2016, 09:06 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(05-15-2016, 07:30 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Why not a pineapple that tastes like pinapple? Too complex?

I agree. Crossing flavors between the species... no good can come from that. What is the word coming to anyway?

Who knows. The question has been asked now for god only knows how long. 

But this stuff may have started with Gregor Johann Mendel, the priest who messed around with his peas and started the whole genetic engineering thing. 

We are blessed with good, and lots, of food. Hope is lasts. If not, there is always the Jonathan Swift's "A Mondest Proposal".  Sad

RE: What's in your garden? - GPnative - 05-15-2016

I wouldn't eat a white strawberry on principle alone.

RE: What's in your garden? - Scrapper - 05-15-2016

From a friend of mine that lives outside of Roseburg....

April 8, 2016
Saw this on Facebook. So we are going to experiment and see if we can grow lettuce.
[Image: 12993479_10209466554243991_7194062549614...e=579DB502]

May 1, 2016
An update on our experiment with the bags of potting soil and lettuce. It seems to be doing good.
[Image: 13087362_10209639735373411_5878001094528...e=57AA5C55]

May 15, 2016
Just about ready for picking. I think it is safe to say seeds sprinkled in a bag of potting soil works. Don't forget to poke holes in the bottom for drainage.
[Image: 13174155_10209746563084037_8640874771312...e=579E9E5D]

RE: What's in your garden? - GPnative - 05-15-2016

Cool, I like that lettuce idea!

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 05-15-2016

(05-15-2016, 10:14 AM)GPnative Wrote: Cool, I like that lettuce idea!

Me too but I think it would cost less to buy lettuce. The bags of potting soils are not cheap and the expanded metal and sawhorses?

A person is a LOT better off to buy soil like that by the yard. It's probably 1/10th the cost.

I grew a carrots in an old wheel barrow a couple of years ago Smiling  and in some vale covers LOL

RE: What's in your garden? - Scrapper - 05-15-2016

(05-15-2016, 02:06 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-15-2016, 10:14 AM)GPnative Wrote: Cool, I like that lettuce idea!

Me too but I think it would cost less to buy lettuce. The bags of potting soils are not cheap and the expanded metal and sawhorses?

A person is a LOT better off to buy soil like that by the yard. It's probably 1/10th the cost.

I grew a carrots in an old wheel barrow a couple of years ago Smiling  and in some vale covers LOL
The only things they bought was the potting soil and seeds.  They had already had the other stuff on hand.  That said, some times people just want to try something different just for the fun of it; I believe that was what happened in my friend's case.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 05-16-2016

I got about 20% of my garden planted. I hope to get the rest planted this week. I still need to buy some jalapeños that are hot. The ones from the Greenleaf stand are not hot. 

I did buy a new kind of eggplant called fat boy. I was told these eggplants are becoming popular among vegans and vegetarians because the texture is rich and meat like. We will see. 

Enjoy your day RVF people.

Check out all the varieties of eggplant that are available. 

http://www.rareseeds.com/request-catalogus/

RE: What's in your garden? - GPnative - 05-16-2016

Our garden is planted. Got it finished up yesterday. Went to several places to get all we wanted. I was not impressed with the tomato plant choices at Greenleaf on Saturday. But they rotate things quickly so I am sure by now it's already a different selection, we just hit a bad day for what we like. I'd like to throw a plug out there for Sandy's nursery on Bridge St., it's a little off the beaten path but worth the quick jaunt from downtown GP. They have a nice selection of quality plants, very helpful owners, and prices are very comparable to the box stores.
Especially if you buy hanging flower baskets, the quality and beauty of what they are selling are way better than the box stores, It's worth going out there just to look and admire them.

*and no, I am not affiliated with the nursery, I just always receive exceptional service and I like to promote the mom and pop's that are deserving and have to compete against the big box stores.