RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

RE: What's in your garden? - chuck white - 10-02-2016

(10-02-2016, 01:05 PM)Juniper Wrote: I STILL feel like we need a separate thread for the pot grows. I don't mind them, but when I come to the garden thread and see a new post and it's regarding pot grows, I feel a bit deflated.  Sad

Would you feel better if we called them tomato plants?

Some of them could use another 3 weeks.
But last year we lost  stuff to mold. We just don't want that to happen again. plus the rain broke a lot of branches on my tomato plants.

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 10-02-2016

(10-02-2016, 01:05 PM)Juniper Wrote: I STILL feel like we need a separate thread for the pot grows. I don't mind them, but when I come to the garden thread and see a new post and it's regarding pot grows, I feel a bit deflated.  Sad

Marijuana IS what's in MY Garden. I didn't feel "deflated" when you posted pictures of hops. Laughing

(10-02-2016, 01:55 PM)chuck white Wrote:

But last year we lost  stuff to mold. We just don't want that to happen again. plus the rain broke a lot of branches on my tomato plants.

The fat buds.. Idica's are the ones that tend to rot. The plants needs plenty or wind too.

RE: What's in your garden? - Juniper - 10-02-2016

(10-02-2016, 03:12 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Marijuana IS what's in MY Garden. I didn't feel "deflated" when you posted pictures of hops. Laughing

I grew the hops for TEA silly.  And I realize MJ is what's in your garden. I just would like all the MJ to be in one place. Smiling

Why would it?  I just don't consume it. And it seems to dominate the thread a bit. So, how would it hurt?

RE: What's in your garden? - chuck white - 10-02-2016

(10-02-2016, 03:30 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Why would it?  I just don't consume it. And it seems to dominate the thread a bit. So, how would it hurt?

OK, fixed that for ya.
Big Grin

(10-02-2016, 03:38 PM)chuck white Wrote:

OK, fixed that for ya.
Big Grin

Smiling

I did start a pot plant thread because I thought more people would post pics or whatever. I remember it went over like a lead balloon.
 I couldn't find it so I just posted here.

(10-02-2016, 04:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I did start a pot plant thread because I thought more people would post pics or whatever. I remember it went over like a lead balloon.

Was that before it was legal? I probably don't remember it because I didn't care about it.

(10-02-2016, 05:59 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Was that before it was legal? I probably don't remember it because I didn't care about it.
 No it was after. That's why I made the post. I thought (wished) there were going to be at least a few people showing pictures of their weed.

But it's kind of always the same. I don't think people who post here have any hobbies OTHER than posting here LOL.
I have started NUMEROUS threads over the years about different things that never went anywhere.

With the small amount of threads we have now I'm surprised you are selective about what you click on.
 I don't give a rats ass about coffee roasting or some other threads but I still take a look at ALL posts that have a new post.
Because it only takes seconds and sometime the discussion is as Wonky says... "off the rails"

(10-02-2016, 06:41 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-02-2016, 05:59 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-02-2016, 01:55 PM)chuck white Wrote: Would you feel better if we called them tomato plants?

No it was after. That's why I made the post. I thought (wished) there were going to be at least a few people showing pictures of their weed.

But it's kind of always the same. I don't think people who post here have any hobbies OTHER than posting here LOL.
I have started NUMEROUS threads over the years about different things that never went anywhere.

With the small amount of threads we have now I'm surprised you are selective about what you click on.
 I don't give a rats ass about coffee roasting or some other threads but I still take a look at ALL posts that have a new post.
Because it only takes seconds and sometime the discussion is as Wonky says... "off the rails"

I see. Well, there are some I just don't care about, or I know what it will be and don't want to bother.

RE: What's in your garden? - Valuesize - 03-22-2017

In the midst of buying our first Oregon home.  Big Grin It has a nice area cleared for a vegetable garden, but absolutely no fruit trees. Why would anyone with a yard not have fruit trees? 

As a kid in So. Cal we had a large yard that had lemon, orange, tangerine, plum, apricot, peach and avocado trees. Looking at the yards I think I can put one in the front and two or three in the back. I think apple and pear would be a must and I think of the above listed tangerine and peach. 

Any help suggestions for trees that do especially well coming to fruit bearing quickly, extra tasty, pest resistance etc?

It doesn't have a patio cover, but does have a nice 10X20 textured cemented area. We'll wait a year or two on the permanent cover and will go with something like this large umbrella Big Lots has for under $200.00.
[Image: product.chain%5D]

http://www.biglots.com/product/tan-double-top-market-patio-umbrella-with-base-15-/p810325918?zcp=PD_PLA_go_Seasonal_PatioFurniture_Umbrellas_810325918&product_id=810325918&adpos=1o1&creative=148627031002&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CJrO7_7L6tICFU1afgodXqQO-A

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 03-22-2017

(03-22-2017, 10:06 AM)Valuesize Wrote: In the midst of buying our first Oregon home.  Big Grin It has a nice area cleared for a vegetable garden, but absolutely no fruit trees. Why would anyone with a yard not have fruit trees? 

As a kid in So. Cal we had a large yard that had lemon, orange, tangerine, plum, apricot, peach and avocado trees. Looking at the yards I think I can put one in the front and two or three in the back. I think apple and pear would be a must and I think of the above listed tangerine and peach. 

Any help suggestions for trees that do especially well coming to fruit bearing quickly, extra tasty, pest resistance etc?

It doesn't have a patio cover, but does have a nice 10X20 textured cemented area. We'll wait a year or two on the permanent cover and will go with something like this large umbrella Big Lots has for under $200.00.
[Image: product.chain%5D]

http://www.biglots.com/product/tan-double-top-market-patio-umbrella-with-base-15-/p810325918?zcp=PD_PLA_go_Seasonal_PatioFurniture_Umbrellas_810325918&product_id=810325918&adpos=1o1&creative=148627031002&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CJrO7_7L6tICFU1afgodXqQO-A

Why would anyone with a yard not have fruit trees?

Because you have to take care of them. In my case that means water them. But Everyone has to trim them and spray them with pesticides or sulfur or whatever.
And then when they are ripe so are everyone elses so they are cheap to buy anyway. Pears are literally free because I go to orchards and take the ones the pickers missed.

Cograts on getting a home Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - Juniper - 03-22-2017

I haven't been successful with fruit trees. I had an apple tree but it got apple maggots terrible. I tried sprays but I guess I wasn't doing it right, because it never helped and the tree died young.

(03-22-2017, 02:53 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Why would anyone with a yard not have fruit trees?

Because you have to take care of them. In my case that means water them. But Everyone has to trim them and spray them with pesticides or sulfur or whatever.
And then when they are ripe so are everyone elses so they are cheap to buy anyway. Pears are literally free because I go to orchards and take the ones the pickers missed.

Cograts on getting a home Smiling

Thanks. 

We used to go to Tom Pearce Park and pick fruit there because it was public and the park hosts said we should because it would just go to waste if we didn't. We picked a lot and gave it to our neighbors. I haven't found a similar park situation up here and wouldn't feel comfortable raiding a private farm.  Razz Big Grin

(03-22-2017, 04:14 PM)Juniper Wrote: I haven't been successful with fruit trees.  I had an apple tree but it got apple maggots terrible. I tried sprays but I guess I wasn't doing it right, because it never helped and the tree died young.

Protein.  Big Grin

RE: What's in your garden? - chuck white - 03-22-2017

(03-22-2017, 04:14 PM)Juniper Wrote: I haven't been successful with fruit trees.  I had an apple tree but it got apple maggots terrible. I tried sprays but I guess I wasn't doing it right, because it never helped and the tree died young.

You want to spray when the tree is in  bloom. That is when the maggots land and lay eggs. You want to start watching for them everyday when the tree blooms. When you see them that's when you spray, once or twice.

How about one of these?  Laughing

[Image: fruit-salad-tree.jpg]

https://www.eburgess.com/store/5556-dwarf-fruit-cocktail-tree

RE: What's in your garden? - chuck white - 03-22-2017

(03-22-2017, 09:03 PM)Valuesize Wrote: How about one of these?  Laughing

[Image: fruit-salad-tree.jpg]

https://www.eburgess.com/store/5556-dwarf-fruit-cocktail-tree

Original Frankien fruit.

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 03-23-2017

(03-22-2017, 08:15 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

Protein.  Big Grin

Many years ago there was an orchard by the Expo right where the family fun center is now. I think from the road it was all pears. But on the back of the orchard by bear creek every row was a different kind of fruit tree. It was an experimental orchard or something like that.
There were no fences so I would drive my motorcycle back there. It had a plastic milk crate tied on the the back and I would load it up with several  different kinds of pears, apples, and plums. I'm pretty sure the statuette of limitation is on for a theft charge  WA ha.
 Also I used to go by  Bebe farms and grab the ripe peaches that had fallen on the ground.