RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 06-12-2009

[Image: purslane.jpg] DIL brought some from her garden and I was telling her this. I actually have never tried Purslane so I tried some that she brought. It was very fat, healthy stuff. I can see how it might be nice in a salad, it had a nice crunch and very mild flavor, so it would go with anything.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 06-12-2009

[Image: 100_0076.jpg]
The 3 heart shaped leaf plant is wood sorrel and the one with the little white flower in Miners Lettuce. Avoid collecting either around trees since the plants growing there tend to taste like dog pee. Razz

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 06-12-2009

yep, pigweed is a real pesky weed in my garden.

[Image: pigweed.jpg]

There isn't a lot of thistle in the lowlands, unless you are next to a water source, but thistle is supposed to make good eating. Actually, even Bedstraw (Galium, that nasty sticky stuff that catches your clothes and depostits sticky seed pods on you) is supposed to be edible. [Image: CatchweedBedstraw2.jpg]

Pigweed is supposed to be edible too.

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 06-12-2009

Quote: Tia..There isn't a lot of thistle in the lowlands, unless you are next to a water source, but thistle is supposed to make good eating.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22 ... histle.jpg

I guess I could eat off of this one for a week Laughing it's 7 feet tall Big Grin

I have plenty of thistle and I live about as low as you can get, altitude wise anyway Wink

tvguy Wrote:
Quote: Tia..There isn't a lot of thistle in the lowlands, unless you are next to a water source, but thistle is supposed to make good eating.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22 ... histle.jpg

I guess I could eat off of this one for a week Laughing it's 7 feet tall Big Grin

I have plenty of thistle and I live about as low as you can get, altitude wise anyway Wink

I believe you have ponds or a pond, TV....I know they like to be near a water source. Go pick some! Big Grin

Re: What's in your garden? - tagalong - 06-12-2009

Tia Wrote:Pigweed is supposed to be edible too.
For who humans or pigs?????

Re: What's in your garden? - tagalong - 06-12-2009

cletus1 Wrote:[Image: 100_0076.jpg]
The 3 heart shaped leaf plant is wood sorrel and the one with the little white flower in Miners Lettuce. Avoid collecting either around trees since the plants growing there tend to taste like dog pee. Razz

Hey, I love your heads up on the saltey tasteing plants around the trees. Just got to ask this question, where did you and the your ancestors come from?

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 06-13-2009

tagalong Wrote:Hey, I love your heads up on the saltey tasteing plants around the trees. Just got to ask this question, where did you and the your ancestors come from?

I don't know where my ancestors came from. I was abandon in the forest at birth and raised by wolves. My earliest memories are of running around the woods near Cave Junction with the rest of the pack. Then one day a hunter caught me and took me into town for a Taylor's Sausage hot dog. I was forced to go to school and learn the ways of people. I still revert to my old ways from time to time. So if you see some regular looking guy peeing on a fire hydrant, that guy might be me.

Re: What's in your garden? - tagalong - 06-13-2009

cletus1 Wrote:
tagalong Wrote:Hey, I love your heads up on the saltey tasteing plants around the trees. Just got to ask this question, where did you and the your ancestors come from?

I don't know where my ancestors came from. I was abandon in the forest at birth and raised by wolves. My earliest memories are of running around the woods near Cave Junction with the rest of the pack. Then one day a hunter caught me and took me into town for a Taylor's Sausage hot dog. I was forced to go to school and learn the ways of people. I still revert to my old ways from time to time. So if you see some regular looking guy peeing on a fire hydrant, that guy might be me.

Well "Hell," we might be related, my Dad would tell me a similar story of where I came from. I'll look closer next time I see someone peeing on a hydrant or in an alley and call out your name.

Re: What's in your garden? - siskiyou - 06-13-2009

Tia Wrote:There isn't a lot of thistle in the lowlands, unless you are next to a water source, but thistle is supposed to make good eating. Actually, even Bedstraw (Galium, that nasty sticky stuff that catches your clothes and depostits sticky seed pods on you) is supposed to be edible. [Image: CatchweedBedstraw2.jpg]

Pigweed is supposed to be edible too.

Pigweed is actually VERY toxic!

Quote: REDROOT PIGWEED

Amaranthus retroflexus

(pigweed family)

TOXICITY RATING: High. The plant is quite common and very toxic.

ANIMALS AFFECTED: Cattle and swine are the animals most likely to be affected; goats and sheep can also be poisoned.

DANGEROUS PARTS OF PLANT: Leaves, stems, roots.

CLASS OF SIGNS: Breathing problems, trembling, weakness, abortions, coma, death.

PLANT DESCRIPTION: Redroot pigweed (fig. 33) is a large (to 5 feet tall), coarse, annual with red stems and simple, egg-shaped, wavy-margined, alternate leaves. The green, inconspicuous flowers are borne in short, compact clusters along with green spines. Seeds are small, shiny, and black. Fields, barnyards, and waste areas are the favorite habitats of this weed.

SIGNS: Pigweed contains a nephrotoxin that causes kidney failure, and also contains soluble oxalates and is capable of accumulating nitrates. Therefore, toxicity can be due to any combination of these toxicoses.

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/toxic/plant33.htm

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 06-13-2009

Thanks everyone I just had a salad I made from bedstraw, purslane , thistle topped with generous amount of pig weed.

Yum very good, I'll talk to yall later I suddenly feel like I need a nap Big Grin

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 06-13-2009

tvguy Wrote:Thanks everyone I just had a salad I made from bedstraw, purslane , thistle topped with generous amount of pig weed.

Yum very good, I'll talk to yall later I suddenly feel like I need a nap Big Grin

Anyone that eats any plant after reading it is edible on an Internet forum needs to be poisoned. I'm not talking about you TV, I know you were kidding. I was thinking of some people that I read about that got sick eating "edible" plants.

Also, edible does not mean that a plant tastes good. I think we have figured out which ones can be delicious and those plants are now commercially cultivated and sold in stores. Although, I did see Anthony Bourdain collecting some dandelion like wild greens with some country people from Crete on his last show, I'm good with what is available at the market. Smiling

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 06-14-2009

Quote:Anyone that eats any plant after reading it is edible on an Internet forum needs to be poisoned.

:shock: :shock: I ate a purslane leaf yesterday Unsure

I read about it on a forum Laughing Laughing

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 06-14-2009

What's in my garden?

Night crawlers Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin I went out last night to kill earwigs and ended up catching a couple dozen fat night crawlers. This makes me happy because I live in the Agate desert and this is a first.

I think it's because over the years I have turned loose a lot of them and I now have a lot of area that's shaded and stays moist.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 06-14-2009

[Image: HPIM0354.jpg]

Greenleaf is having their end of season clearance sale. They are selling 4 pk. marigolds for 75 cents and 4 pk. veggies for 50 cents. Most of the plants are pretty big. I bought a bunch more marigolds to plant in my garden to help control incests and to provide some color. I just don't have room for much else, but I did but 4 tomatillos for 50 cents. They have so many healthy tomato plants for so cheap, that I wish I did have more room.

The cucumber beetles are in my garden but there is limited damage to leaves so far. I have been picking them off by hand. I may apply an insecticidal soap but I really don't want to because I also have ladybugs in the garden.

Re: What's in your garden? - bbqboy - 06-14-2009

where is greenleaf? I want tomatillos.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 06-14-2009

bbqboy Wrote:where is greenleaf? I want tomatillos.
Union Avenue across from Walgreen's, about 4 blocks south of the flea Market on Hwy 199.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 06-14-2009

As for eating edible weeds....I don't know if you were referring to me Cletus, but I didn't eat purslane because I read it on a forum. I've known purslane and chickweed and thistle and bedstraw were edible for years before I even owned a PC.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 06-14-2009

BTW...I've never had pigweed. It's just the seeds that are edible. It's like amaranth. Potato and tomato leaves are poisonous too.