RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 06-14-2009

Quote:The cucumber beetles are in my garden but there is limited damage to leaves so far. I have been picking them off by hand. I may apply an insecticidal soap but I really don't want to because I also have ladybugs in the garden.

I use regular old dish washing soap when you spray your plants you aren't killing the bugs you are just keeping them away, unless you spray directly on them. I too spend the time to catch and crush cucumber beetles one at a time but they are kind of hard to catch. I found out that they are easy to catch if you spray then with the soapy water.
I walk along and brush the plants with my hand then when the little buggers fly I spray them in mid air or just watch where they land Big Grin

Tia Wrote:BTW...I've never had pigweed. It's just the seeds that are edible. It's like amaranth. Potato and tomato leaves are poisonous too.

come on Tia , own up!!! Surprised Surprised Big Grin

YOUR words... "Pigweed is supposed to be edible too."

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 06-14-2009

Uhhmmmm, ok, TV. I said that. I also said 'supposed to be'. Cletus is right....don't just take it for granted that because a person says a thing it is a gold standard. Potatoes and tomatoes are nightshade. So are the leaves of peppers But we eat their roots and fruits. Peaches and apples and apricots are delicious but their seeds contain cyanide. Pigweed is amaranth and it's seeds are edible. I don't go around wildfooding, but there you go.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 06-14-2009

Yeah Tia sure. You almost kill TVguy and all you have to say is that you have been eating wild weeds too. Laughing

cletus1 Wrote:Yeah Tia sure. You almost kill TVguy and all you have to say is that you have been eating wild weeds too. Laughing

LOL....I said I DIDN'T. My evil plot to kill TV failed miserably. I take along the same line as mushroom hunting. You have to know what you are doing if you don't want to dissolve your liver. Heck, expert mushroom hunters still die from picking mistaken mushrooms. It's a dangerous thing to open your mouth. Even more dangerous to listen.

Re: What's in your garden? - orygunluvr - 06-14-2009

So Tia, eating apple seeds WON"T grow an apple tree in my stomach? My mom is a liar.

Yes half of my liver did dissolve but fortunately thanks to excessive drinking it was twice the size of a normal one. Laughing

Now all I have to do is consume large quantities of beer to get back to normal. Laughing Razz

Hey, TV guy, I have these castor beans over here....wanna try some? After all they use Castor Beans to make Castor Oil. Therefore they must be safe.....c'mon....try some! Ninja

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 06-14-2009

Hey Tia, I am just razzing you. I might have mentioned this before, but we have had dinners where everything served was collected or caught or grown by us. It is essential to know how to identify the plants you are collecting especially mushrooms and berries before you decide to eat anything. Smiling

Re: What's in your garden? - tagalong - 06-14-2009

orygunluvr Wrote:So Tia, eating apple seeds WON"T grow an apple tree in my stomach? My mom is a liar.

"No, Sweetheart," the one our Mom's worried about was us swallowing a watermelon seed.

tagalong Wrote:
orygunluvr Wrote:So Tia, eating apple seeds WON"T grow an apple tree in my stomach? My mom is a liar.

"No, Sweetheart," the one our Mom's worried about was us swallowing a watermelon seed.

Which brings me to the question: do you think seedless watermelon taste as good as seeded? Or did losing the seeds cause it to lose some of the flavor. I notice that much of the seedless watermelon I have tried doesn't seem that flavorful.

Re: What's in your garden? - Cometmom - 06-14-2009

Tia Wrote:
tagalong Wrote:

Which brings me to the question: do you think seedless watermelon taste as good as seeded? Or did losing the seeds cause it to lose some of the flavor. I notice that much of the seedless watermelon I have tried doesn't seem that flavorful.
Then you have been picking the wrong melons. Wink Every melon I have bought this season has been really good and sweet. I mostly buy the little personal melons, but the larger seedless one's have been good too.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 06-15-2009

Oh, I don't pick melons right or wrong, I don't care for fruit.Therefore, I don't pick them or buy them. I do get served them from time to time, however. Perhaps that is why I discern a difference?

Re: What's in your garden? - AmandaChantel - 06-15-2009

cletus1 Wrote:Hey Tia, I am just razzing you. I might have mentioned this before, but we have had dinners where everything served was collected or caught or grown by us. It is essential to know how to identify the plants you are collecting especially mushrooms and berries before you decide to eat anything. Smiling
There is a group out of Selma called The Siskiyou Field Institute. They offer a wide range of classes including a free class on edible mushrooms of the region and a 50 dollar course on edible mushrooms where you can actually go out and pick them.

http://thesfi.org/Page.asp?NavID=453

Re: What's in your garden? - RobinBird - 06-16-2009

My sungold tomatoes have itty bitty tomatoes on them, I need to harvest more basil and I'm almost ready to pick some summer squash!! Yay!!!!

Re: What's in your garden? - tagalong - 06-17-2009

OK, what do I add to my soil,as lower leaves on tomatoes are turning yellow?? Rest of the garden plants look fine.

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 06-17-2009

By: Kathleen Mierzejewski

If you have a vegetable garden and have planted tomatoes, you might be looking at the yellow leaves on tomato plants and asking, â??What do yellowing leaves on tomato plants suggest?â? Truth be known, tomato plants leaves turn yellow for many different reasons. Yellow tomato leaves donâ??t, however, have to mean that the plant is failing. Letâ??s take a look at the reasons why tomato plant leaves turn yellow.
The leaves of my tomato plant are turning yellow

If you only see a few yellow tomato leaves toward the bottom of the plant, you have nothing to worry about. The leaves of tomato plant turning yellow at the bottom of the plant means these leaves probably arenâ??t getting the nutrients from the soil and arenâ??t getting sunshine. This especially happens when the plant is more mature and bearing fruit.

Tomato plants leaves turn yellow for a variety of reasons, some of which arenâ??t as simple as the plant maturing. Regardless of the issue, whenever there are yellow leaves on tomato plants, it warrants a thorough check as to what the problem could be. You never know what you will run across, and it could be detrimental not only to your tomato plants with their yellow tomato leaves, but to the rest of your garden as well.
Why Tomato Plant Leaves Turn Yellow

If you find the leaves of tomato plant turning yellow in your garden, you definitely want to figure out what is causing the issue. It could be something as simple as a lack of nitrogen in your soil. If this is the case, you could check the nitrogen level of your soil, or you could just add a little bit of nutritious matter to the soil and watch to see if the yellow tomato leaves donâ??t just green up for you.

When tomato plants leaves turn yellow, it could be from a fungus or bacterial problem. If this is the case, you will want to treat this according to your garden center instructions. They have treatments for this type of thing, and you need to follow the directions carefully so as to prevent killing your tomato plants.

Sometimes yellow leaves on tomato plants mean that there is a pest problem that needs to be handled. You might have caterpillars or worms affecting the health of the plant and may need to handle this issue with an organic pesticide.

Before you go making any adjustments, however, you should check the soil around your plants if your tomato plants leaves turn yellow. If the soil isnâ??t wet enough, you might just be under watering the tomato plants. Yellow tomato leaves could be a sign of lack of water.

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 06-17-2009

Hey Tagger, your maters should be looking like these Big Grin Razz

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22 ... n61709.jpg

Re: What's in your garden? - tagalong - 06-17-2009

tvguy Wrote:Hey Tagger, your maters should be looking like these Big Grin Razz

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22 ... n61709.jpg

Hey, mine look as good as yours, except for the lower leaves that are turning yellow. Also did some reseach on the Internet and both over water and under watering can be a problem. We did get one "Hell," of alot of rain here lately here during the last stormy weather. Will try a couple different thing on the 'mators and see what happens.

Re: What's in your garden? - siskiyou - 06-17-2009

Why can't I grow cantaloupe?? I can grow zucchini, pumpkins, cucumbers etc. but for some reason I think the cucumber beetles scarf the melon sprouts before they can even get started. I hate those little yellow and black bastards.