RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 06-21-2009

tvguy Wrote:Raccoons can be legally hunted or trapped, they are a often menace and carry disease.
They also seem to have difficulty crossing roads. I think there are almost as many raccoons dead along the roads as there are possums.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 06-21-2009

tvguy Wrote:Raccoons can be legally hunted or trapped, they are a often menace and carry disease.

I only ask because I know there are strict rules about messing with indigenous species. I have no idea what rules regarding raccoons might be.

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 06-21-2009

Tia Wrote:

I only ask because I know there are strict rules about messing with indigenous species. I have no idea what rules regarding raccoons might be.

Well I may have stretched the rules, the way I NOW understand it you can apply for and get a free permit to kill a menacing raccoon. Other then that there is a hunting and trapping season on them.

I didn't want my dog tangling with one of these vicious animals plus they often carry disease but unfortunately the dog and this raccoon went at it anyway

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 06-21-2009

I have no clue. I do know that I had a friend about 4 years back who rescued a crow that had been hit by a car, that had a broken wing. She called Wildlife images who in turn called the Dept of Fish and Wildlife who in turn came to her house and charged her for interfering with a protected indigenous species. Maybe raccoons aren't 'protected' and that's the difference.

I haven't found the owner for my snake either. I mean is a corn snake an indigenous protected species to Oregon? What should I do with the darn thing? If I call any agency I put myself at risk, right?

[Image: HPIM0392.jpg]

This photo was taken a few minutes ago. The zucchinis are around the same size. I'll be picking the first few in days.

Tomatoes are at least a month away probably more. Hey I am just using this thread to post photos. I know it's not that interesting, but I need the practice. Smiling

[Image: HPIM0396.jpg]

OK this is the last photo. Next time I will try to insert a photobucket link like TVguy did. The watermelon and cantaloupe vines have lots of flowers. I thhink they will be fine. My only concern is for the okra, which does not seem to be growing fast enough. I might put some composted steer manure around the okra plants and see if it helps[Image: HPIM0398.jpg].

Quote:Tomatoes are at least a month away probably more. Hey I am just using this thread to post photos. I know it's not that interesting, but I need the practice. Smiling

It's interesting to most gardeners and that's what this thread if about Big Grin

Are those Summer squash? I took my sweet time getting my squash in but I have zukes, crooknecks and some gourds, plus my Pumpkins which I just took a picture of.

He Clete did you see how I've been posting pics? I just post it full size form photobucket and then I also post a link so you can see the FULL view unshrunk.
[Image: pumpkins62109.jpg]

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22 ... s62109.jpg

OK this is the last photo.

The more the better

Next time I will try to insert a photobucket link like TVguy did.

Just copy and paste it like you normally do only don't use the image feature

The watermelon and cantaloupe vines have lots of flowers. I thhink they will be fine.

You know what will help that stuff grow, that crappy black soil like you get at biomass or wherever, put it under the plants and the heat from the blackness makes melons go nuts. I found that out by accident when one of the vines grew over a pile of that black stuff and way out grew the other vines that didn't.

My only concern is for the okra, which does not seem to be growing fast enough. I might put some composted steer manure around the okra plants and see if it helps

That stuff is weird, I never have a lot of luck growing it, I get enough fruit but it just doesn't grow like the book says. I think it still not hot enough for it plus bugs eat the hell out of mine.

Re: What's in your garden? - Javajabbers - 06-21-2009

In my garden:

Slugs
Bees
Spiders
Weeds
Praying Manti
Ants
Cherry pits, courtesy of the freaking birds.

Javajabbers Wrote:In my garden:

Slugs
Bees
Spiders
Weeds
Praying Manti
Ants
Cherry pits, courtesy of the freaking birds.

Speaking of bee's here's a couple that were on my onion flower Laughing

[Image: onionflower62109cu2.jpg]

Click here http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22 ... 109cu2.jpg for a better picture, then click again to make it bigger

Those ain't bees....those is wasps!!!

Javajabbers Wrote:Those ain't bees....those is wasps!!!

Oh yeah you're right Confused but wasps are predators, what are they doing on my flowers?

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22 ... lowera.jpg

http://www.kellscraft.com/Wasps/Wasps05.html

Apparently stealing pollen. Jerks.

So where the hell is Sis Q with those tomatoes that are "WAYYYY" bigger then mine??? Razz

I guess he doesn't own a digital camera, yeah that's Wink probably it

[Image: Garden62109bbb.jpg]

Whoa! A little over-saturation on that, doncha think? LOL!

So you and Sisk are in a pissing match over some trivial crap? Ahhh, I really am home.

Javajabbers Wrote:Whoa! A little over-saturation on that, doncha think? LOL!

Yeah I think it's cool Big Grin

So you and Sisk are in a pissing match over some trivial crap? Ahhh, I really am home.

Trivial? what isn't ? this forum is rarely anything else, especially this thread. hey he was the one bragging all I want is a simple photo Smiling .

Let me think, who was it that was all freaked out about JT's alleged friend who supposedly took a picture in front of letterman's studio?

SisQ about popped a head vein trying to get a photo from that guy Razz Razz but he can't step in his back yard with a camera?

WAAAAA haaa hahahah

Re: What's in your garden? - APPLEGATE - 06-21-2009

cletus1 Wrote:
They also seem to have difficulty crossing roads. I think there are almost as many raccoons dead along the roads as there are possums.

Why did the chicken cross the road???

To prove to the possum it can be done.

Re: What's in your garden? - WKYonc - 06-21-2009

APPLEGATE Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:

Why did the chicken cross the road???

To prove to the possum it can be done.

There is simply is no proof that "the" chicken crossed the road. A chicken might of crossed the road. And opossums don't just cross the road. The stroll across the road. God's way of insuring we have fresh roadkill for the holidays.
And explain this: Why is there not a Country Western song about crossing the road? I mean, it's a perfect metaphor for life's troubles when we leave the safety our our own place and cross the hot surface into an unknown land.
Someone write it and post it here. We will sing at the next "get together".

tvguy Wrote:Trivial? what isn't ? this forum is rarely anything else, especially this thread. hey he was the one bragging all I want is a simple photo Smiling .

Let me think, who was it that was all freaked out about JT's alleged friend who supposedly took a picture in front of letterman's studio?

SisQ about popped a head vein trying to get a photo from that guy Razz Razz but he can't step in his back yard with a camera?

WAAAAA haaa hahahah

Yeah, Hahaha Ahh hahaha Laughing

Sisq has 34 tomato plants. Wow, I have 49 and I can post photos to prove it to Mr. Prove It himself.

Sisq was the one that talked about tomatoes like we were in a competition growing match. So where is that green thumbed braggart anyway?

Thanks for the tip on the black soil mulch TV Smiling