RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 06-30-2009

I picked these this morning. I have been getting 4 to 8 squash a day for the last few days and it is just starting. I have lots of squash plants. Smiling
[Image: HPIM0519.jpg]

Re: What's in your garden? - matilija - 06-30-2009

those are beautiful....

Re: What's in your garden? - Cometmom - 06-30-2009

What kind of peppers are those? I planted a peppercini plant but the snails or something ate all the leaves. Sad

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 06-30-2009

tagalong Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:
tagalong Wrote:My Son told me about an Eagle nest with chicks on the old Robertson Bridge, he saw a few days ago, in case your out that way.
I know that nest. I'll have to look again when I'm visiting Griffin Park.

I questioned my Son again about how he knew about the chicks. His comment was, "It sits a bit high but still close to the road and could see something bobbing around in the nest." Half expected him to take his camera and go camp out, just to get picture.

Does he know for sure it's not an osprey?

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 06-30-2009

Cometmom Wrote:What kind of peppers are those? I planted a peppercini plant but the snails or something ate all the leaves. Sad
If you are talking about the black things, those are a couple of early Japanese eggplants that I stir fried tonight. I am getting some English cucumbers now too. The lemons are at least a week out. Look at those lil babies. :[Image: HPIM0525.jpg])

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 07-02-2009

Of course I planted them for you dear/deer.
[Image: HPIM0546.jpg]

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 07-02-2009

Actually, I just took down the fence on the old garden area. After the deer are done it will become back yard lawn.[Image: HPIM0580.jpg]

Re: What's in your garden? - kgasso - 07-02-2009

Oh deer!

Re: What's in your garden? - matilija - 07-02-2009

this is garden related - but not vegetable related.
i have a water feature on the deck. it recycles water. deer, birds, squirrels, lizards, snakes, yellow jackets, & butterflies hang out here.
and mosquitos. someone suggested putting bleach in the water to deter mosquito larvae. is there a safer alternative? i won't drink water with chlorine in it (if i can help it) and i certainly don't want to hurt any critters with it. what else is out there to deter mosquito larvae? suggestions? thanks.

Re: What's in your garden? - Cometmom - 07-02-2009

matilija Wrote:this is garden related - but not vegetable related.
i have a water feature on the deck. it recycles water. deer, birds, squirrels, lizards, snakes, yellow jackets, & butterflies hang out here.
and mosquitos. someone suggested putting bleach in the water to deter mosquito larvae. is there a safer alternative? i won't drink water with chlorine in it (if i can help it) and i certainly don't want to hurt any critters with it. what else is out there to deter mosquito larvae? suggestions? thanks.
There is some little round things (sorry I can't think pf the name right now) that you can buy at the Grange to put in your ponds and water features that deter mosquitos. Ask at the Grange. They will be able to help you. I have used them in my birdbaths. Usually mosquitos won't hang out at water that is circulating. I have a waterfall in my little pond and I don't have a problem with the squitters around it.

Re: What's in your garden? - siskiyou - 07-02-2009

matilija Wrote:this is garden related - but not vegetable related.

Go to the pet store and buy a couple Gambusia Mosquito fish to put in their (they only cost about a quarter or so) . They can live in virtually any water and they will devour any Mosquito larvae in your pond. I have a fairly large pond and i put 8 Mosquito fish in there about three years ago and those eight have literally reproduced into thousands of them and I have zero mosquitoes.

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 07-02-2009

Quote:Go to the pet store and buy a couple Gambusia Mosquito fish to put in their (they only cost about a quarter or so) . They can live in virtually any water and they will devour any Mosquito larvae in your pond. I have a fairly large pond and i put 8 Mosquito fish in there about three years ago and those eight have literally reproduced into thousands of them and I have zero mosquitoes.

The county will give those fish for free, at least they used to. Give vector control a call of drive over and ask If you live close and want to save 50 cents Laughing . They are located off of mosquito lane just south of Antelope and table Rock road.

Those fish are also easy to catch at local ponds like Denman although it's probably illegal to transport them. Confused

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 07-03-2009

Grow, grow, grow, grow
[Image: gardenJuly3-09001.jpg]

Picked this morning.
[Image: gardenJuly3-09002.jpg]

These are the weeks pickings since Monday. Hey TV, I am using my little Nikon camera. It takes better photos. I might even read the manual. Big Grin When my tomatoes, peppers, green beans and eggplant are ripe, I might put a sign out and sell some. These I guess I'll give to my friend that has a restauarant[Image: gardenJuly3-09003.jpg]

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 07-03-2009

You have a Nikon camera eh? I hope mama don't take your kodachrome away Laughing

Re: What's in your garden? - broadzilla - 07-03-2009

Sounds like I am the only person in the valley who doesn't have a garden of some sort. Unsure

All of your gardens look and sound lovely. How wonderful that some of you are sharing your crops with those less fortunate. Cletus...I knew you were a love!

broadzilla Wrote:Sounds like I am the only person in the valley who doesn't have a garden of some sort. Unsure

All of your gardens look and sound lovely. How wonderful that some of you are sharing your crops with those less fortunate. Cletus...I knew you were a love!

Actually, I would drop off a bunch at Tia"s and she could act as the Cletus Garden Distribution Center, but I'm not driving into Medford today or tomorrow. I even cancelled going the restaurant, but someday maybe. Smiling

Re: What's in your garden? - broadzilla - 07-03-2009

Reasons I don't have a garden (of veggies...I do have flowers and such):

1) the dog already digs up my flower beds...she would have a field day (lol)!
2) I have a black thumb...thus, why I have a gardener.
3) I am allergic to the greater percentage of veggies...even though I LOVE them!

tvguy Wrote:You have a Nikon camera eh? I hope mama don't take your kodachrome away Laughing
Mama aint taking nothing away, but I wish you would take that Paul Simon song away. It's been playing in my head off an on since I read your post.

One more area in the garden to water, to then off to the river. Smiling