RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 07-05-2009

After a long time of only the tops growing on my onions in the cooler weather the bulbs are finally starting to get big. A friend neighbor told be that you NEED to plant in September and harvest in the next September and that was the only way to get big onions. And that mine that I planted in March would only be the size of golf balls :wacko:

[Image: wallawalla.jpg]

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22 ... awalla.jpg

My Okra is finally starting to do pretty good.

[Image: okra.jpg]

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22 ... e/okra.jpg

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 07-05-2009

Hey TV, my okra is about the same size as yours.

I did not grow onions this year, but I have planted them in the spring and gotten large onions in the fall. Your friend is correct however, about the recommended planting time for onions. All the farms plant in October or September. I think most commercial farms usually plant from seed, so that makes some difference. I always used sets.

I noticed onions do not like a lot of water when they near maturity. I had a problem not watering them when everything else around them needed water. I should not have planted them in rows in the middle of the garden. Over watered onions are often soft. At least that is my guess as to why my onions did not do real well a few years back.

I did a quick google search for growing onions here is the first link.

http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/publicatio ... ongro.html

Quote:"cletus1"Hey TV, my okra is about the same size as yours.
Yeah, Mine didn't hardly grow until just recently, I think they need the heat Big Grin

Quote:I did not grow onions this year, but I have planted them in the spring and gotten large onions in the fall. Your friend is correct however, about the recommended planting time for onions. All the farms plant in October or September. I think most commercial farms usually plant from seed, so that makes some difference. I always used sets.

Well know a lot of people grow onions that way ( for a year) butt all of the places who sell onion sets in march tells me there are a lot of people like me who plant early and harvest nice big onions just a few months later.

Both methods work I just think it's funny this guy thinks I'm lying when I say I can grow large onions and plant in early spring, I'm going to show him a softball size onion and tell him to shove it up his ass Razz Razz Razz

I'm actually using both methods because last year I had a few onions that were small and for whatever reason didn't do well. I just left them in the ground and now a lot of them are huge Smiling

Quote:I noticed onions do not like a lot of water when they near maturity.

Duly noted Big Grin

Nice link...
http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/publicatio ... ongro.html[/quote]

Hey Clete your link says the onions need MORE water the closer you get to harvest time.

"The closer to harvest the more water the onion will require."

There is a bacterial problem that will make them soft. Also when you pull the onions you are supposed to just toss them on the ground in the full sun for a few days.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 07-05-2009

It appears that the tomatoes in my garden are not the Early Girls they were labeled as, but rather a form of yellow cherry tomato. :shock:

tvguy Wrote:Hey Clete your link says the onions need MORE water the closer you get to harvest time.

"The closer to harvest the more water the onion will require."

There is a bacterial problem that will make them soft. Also when you pull the onions you are supposed to just toss them on the ground in the full sun for a few days.

Thanks for catching that TV. If there is one thing I don't want to do, it is to put out bad info on this gardening thread. I think I got the idea that mature onions don't need as much water from a visit to Seven Oaks Farms. Maybe you have seen that the farmer grows onions out by highway 99 some years. I recall purchasing some alfalfa from him one year and asking about his onions that were popping out of the ground, like they do, but also not being watered. I remember he said that they were harvesting the onions soon. I put that info together with my mushy over watered onions and some other advice that I got and assumed that I should not water maturing onions. Perhaps the farmer was just field drying prior to harvest, anyway I love this thread there is good info here. Smiling

No worries mate, you had me wondering though since I have been giving my onions EXTRA water Laughing

Onions don't have a lot of deep roots, if any so I read somewhere that you need to keep the top layer of dirt moist. Plus I add sprinkles of decomposed horse manure and water it in, I think it's all working well because they are gonna be BIG!!

Tia Wrote:It appears that the tomatoes in my garden are not the Early Girls they were labeled as, but rather a form of yellow cherry tomato. :shock:
Signs are sometimes wrong, especially when you start moving crap around.

edit: I assume those are the tomatoes that I gave you,oops.

Re: What's in your garden? - Snowlover - 07-07-2009

I decided to go with a natural predator for my snail and bug situation and I purchased three ducks. They are a year old and so they are already laying eggs. I picked them up on Sunday and they have the run of the back yard area (about 1/2 acre) which is fenced in. I have a crate I put them in at night to protect them from predators.

I was worried that there would be an adjustment period for them but they are very happy to be at my house. They went from a dirt pen to my yard and they went wild for the bugs. It was like watching people gorge at a buffet!! Laughing I also thought that the move might stress them so they wouldn't lay eggs for a while but I had one egg on Monday morning and two this morning.

It has been fun to watch them in the evenings as they graze on weeds and bugs. It is much more entertaining than TV!! This morning when I let them out it was damp so the snails were out and those two female ducks went on a frenzy of eating snails. One would get a snail and the other would try to take it away. The snails would be flying around the yard as the ducks toss them around. Quite funny! :roll:

As I really know nothing about ducks except what I read on the internet in the last week, it has been interesting to see their habits. The females seem to eat twice as much as the male (I assume because they are producing about an egg a day) and the male watches over them. Trying to herd them into their pen (a dog carrier for a Great Dane) at night is an adventure too. The first night was hard and it took two of us to accomplish the task. Last night I was able to do it myself in about half the time. I hope as time goes by they will know what I want and just hop on in without much effort!

I was looking forward to eating the eggs but after watching the fight over the snail and seeing how much they liked them it kind of made me lose my appetite for eggs. Sad But I will get over it and try them out this weekend! Razz

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 07-07-2009

cletus1 Wrote:
Tia Wrote:It appears that the tomatoes in my garden are not the Early Girls they were labeled as, but rather a form of yellow cherry tomato. :shock:
Signs are sometimes wrong, especially when you start moving crap around.

edit: I assume those are the tomatoes that I gave you,oops.

I'm not sure....I bought some too, so I don't know. That's why I thought they were Early girls.

Re: What's in your garden? - siskiyou - 07-07-2009

Zucchini, friggin lots of it. I'm getting like 8 to 12 a day. My kids are still happy to eat it for dinner every night but I may need a few new recipes to keep them from protesting.

Re: What's in your garden? - tagalong - 07-07-2009

Snowlover Wrote:I decided to go with a natural predator for my snail and bug situation and I purchased three ducks. They are a year old and so they are already laying eggs. I picked them up on Sunday and they have the run of the back yard area (about 1/2 acre) which is fenced in. I have a crate I put them in at night to protect them from predators.

I was worried that there would be an adjustment period for them but they are very happy to be at my house. They went from a dirt pen to my yard and they went wild for the bugs. It was like watching people gorge at a buffet!! Laughing I also thought that the move might stress them so they wouldn't lay eggs for a while but I had one egg on Monday morning and two this morning.

It has been fun to watch them in the evenings as they graze on weeds and bugs. It is much more entertaining than TV!! This morning when I let them out it was damp so the snails were out and those two female ducks went on a frenzy of eating snails. One would get a snail and the other would try to take it away. The snails would be flying around the yard as the ducks toss them around. Quite funny! :roll:

As I really know nothing about ducks except what I read on the internet in the last week, it has been interesting to see their habits. The females seem to eat twice as much as the male (I assume because they are producing about an egg a day) and the male watches over them. Trying to herd them into their pen (a dog carrier for a Great Dane) at night is an adventure too. The first night was hard and it took two of us to accomplish the task. Last night I was able to do it myself in about half the time. I hope as time goes by they will know what I want and just hop on in without much effort!

I was looking forward to eating the eggs but after watching the fight over the snail and seeing how much they liked them it kind of made me lose my appetite for eggs. Sad But I will get over it and try them out this weekend! Razz

I grew up with both ducks and geese in the garden area, eating both the bugs, plus the grass and weeds. One thing I remember was the eggs were rubbery when eaten fried or sunny side up, so Mom used them to bake with. Scrambled with a couple drops of milk and some ham or bacon wasn't bad. We used a little grain to cox our fowls into a closed area before nightfall. Chickens that roast seem to go in on their own, without any problem. Remember to have lots of fresh water for them. Since we let them nest and sit, it was fun to sneak peeks when we thought it about time for the eggs to hatch. You'll never know how hard a duck can pinch a little girls butt or how fast they half run and fly holding on. Didn't try that with the geese thinking they could pinch a hunk right out.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 07-08-2009

Hahaha look.

In other garden related news, I dropped off approximately 50 pounds of squash and cucumbers at Saint Vincent de Paul's. I'm just taking care of my GP sign holding buddies. Even saw a few there.[Image: garden7-8-9002.jpg]

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 07-08-2009

Thank God! I found someone to give this seedless watermelon to! I bought it for a bbq that fell through and now it's sitting in my fridge! I was worried!

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 07-08-2009

cletus1 Wrote:Hahaha look.

In other garden related news, I dropped off approximately 50 pounds of squash and cucumbers at Saint Vincent de Paul's. I'm just taking care of my GP sign holding buddies. Even saw a few there.[Image: garden7-8-9002.jpg]

Nice close up Cleter
Big Grin

Thanks TV, you have inspired me and I am not kidding. I want to be able to take better photos. Here are my Wallymelons. They are growing fast.[Image: garden7-8-9001.jpg]

Re: What's in your garden? - WKYonc - 07-08-2009

You did WHAT?
The hell with the poor people. "Let them eat cake".
Or let 'em eat the two week old stuff I get at Winco.
How about loading some stuff up and giving us a location where we can come buy fresh stuff. Would be a real treat.
(There was not truth to the rumor that you used cat fertilizer, right?)

WKYonc Wrote:You did WHAT?
How about loading some stuff up and giving us a location where we can come buy fresh stuff. Would be a real treat.
No cats or deer. Big fence. I peed on my asparagus though.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 07-08-2009

WKYonc Wrote:

You did WHAT?

Really, Cletus, you know you're just perpetuating the cycle don't you?