RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

Re: What's in your garden? - siskiyou - 07-09-2009

Tia Wrote:
WKYonc Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:Hahaha look.

In other garden related news, I dropped off approximately 50 pounds of squash and cucumbers at Saint Vincent de Paul's. I'm just taking care of my GP sign holding buddies. Even saw a few there.[Image: garden7-8-9002.jpg]

You did WHAT?
The hell with the poor people. "Let them eat cake".
Or let 'em eat the two week old stuff I get at Winco.
How about loading some stuff up and giving us a location where we can come buy fresh stuff. Would be a real treat.
(There was not truth to the rumor that you used cat fertilizer, right?)

Really, Cletus, you know you're just perpetuating the cycle don't you?

Hey Tia, Wonky, keep this bullshit out of the friggin gardening thread and Coffee and Slippers. Dry Dry

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 07-09-2009

ORLY?

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 07-09-2009

Hey, the gardening thread has been a non political, non social controversy kind of place. I see Siskiyou's point, although his delivery needs some polishing. Big Grin

cletus1 Wrote:Hey, the gardening thread has been a non political, non social controversy kind of place. I see Siskiyou's point, although his delivery needs some polishing. Big Grin

Yeah, but....you started it!

Tia Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:Hey, the gardening thread has been a non political, non social controversy kind of place. I see Siskiyou's point, although his delivery needs some polishing. Big Grin

By giving veggies away and telling about it? :shock: Sleepy

cletus1 Wrote:
Tia Wrote:

By giving veggies away and telling about it? :shock: Sleepy

First of all you were kind and generous and then you mentioned your sign carrying buddies. BUT in the spirit of non partisanship, I will say that I have plenty of little yellow cherry tomatoes now! Big Grin

Tia Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:By giving veggies away and telling about it? :shock: Sleepy

First of all you were kind and generous and then you mentioned your sign carrying buddies.

Oops, I did start it didn't I? I'm so embarrassed Surprisedops: Razz

Let's see if I can get some answers to this question without it getting political: I am having some issues with Squash abortion, some of the little tiny fruits on my plants are shriveling up and dying, is this bugs or perhaps an unfertilized female flower?? I don't wanna hear if you are pro-choice or pro-squash life just some suggestions.

Not fertilized perhaps. That's not an abortion, btw. That's a miss. But, aren't you swimming in squash?

Tia Wrote:Not fertilized perhaps. That's not an abortion, btw. That's a miss. But, aren't you swimming in squash?

Yes I am swimming in squash but I still don't like to see innocent baby squash snuffed out before they are even given a chance to ripen.

siskiyou Wrote:Let's see if I can get some answers to this question without it getting political: I am having some issues with Squash abortion, some of the little tiny fruits on my plants are shriveling up and dying, is this bugs or perhaps an unfertilized female flower?? I don't wanna hear if you are pro-choice or pro-squash life just some suggestions.
I believe it is a pollination issue too. I know it is quite common. Some of the squash wither on my plants every year. I cut them off right away so that the plant does not waste nutrients on them. Removing the deformed, hard or misshaped squash seems to stimulate the plant to put on more squash. The plants only goal is to make seeds. If you are not getting enough zucchini, you can hand pollinate. The link explains what I think you are describing.

http://green-change.com/2009/05/20/hand ... i-flowers

cletus1 Wrote:
siskiyou Wrote:Let's see if I can get some answers to this question without it getting political: I am having some issues with Squash abortion, some of the little tiny fruits on my plants are shriveling up and dying, is this bugs or perhaps an unfertilized female flower?? I don't wanna hear if you are pro-choice or pro-squash life just some suggestions.
I believe it is a pollination issue too. I know it is quite common. Some of the squash wither on my plants every year. I cut them off right away so that the plant does not waste nutrients on them. Removing the deformed, hard or misshaped squash seems to stimulate the plant to put on more squash. The plants only goal is to make seeds. If you are not getting enough zucchini, you can hand pollinate. The link explains what I think you are describing.

http://green-change.com/2009/05/20/hand ... i-flowers

That definitely sounds like the issue I'm having. I have tons of bees buzzing around but they must miss a flower or two. Oh well as long as it isn't a bug issue I will just keep snipping the withered little fruits off and be happy with the bumper crop of squash I'm getting this year. Smiling

siskiyou Wrote:
Tia Wrote:Not fertilized perhaps. That's not an abortion, btw. That's a miss. But, aren't you swimming in squash?

Yes I am swimming in squash but I still don't like to see innocent baby squash snuffed out before they are even given a chance to ripen.

Do all of your 'full term' squash get used, Sisk? Any waste? Do get overkilled on eating zucchini after a while?

Re: What's in your garden? - siskiyou - 07-10-2009

Tia Wrote:
siskiyou Wrote:

Do all of your 'full term' squash get used, Sisk? Any waste? Do get overkilled on eating zucchini after a while?

My family really likes zucchini and squash so so far we haven't gotten sick of it and have been able to eat most of it, the stuff we don't eat gets given to friends and relatives. I just need some new recipes for it, you can only eat so much of it steamed with salt and butter.

Re: What's in your garden? - APPLEGATE - 07-10-2009

I use this web site for cooking and baking ideas. http://allrecipes.com Maybe you can find some zucchini recipes that your family will like.

Re: What's in your garden? - matilija - 07-10-2009

hi sisk,
you can grate your zucchinni, (blanch it - optional), spread it across a tray and freeze it. once frozen, scoop it up into freezer containers/bags and use throughout the rest of the year in casseroles, soups, muffins, bread, etc.

lucky you.

here's one of my favorite ways to eat squashes:

mati's zucchini

3 sliced zucchini - any style you like - just not too thick
slice a couple of shallots
quartered fresh tomato
2 teaspoons powdered/freeze dried chicken consommé or to taste
sea salt to taste
pepper to taste
grated mozzarella cheese

place zucchini and onion in steamer. when zukes are almost done, add the quartered fresh tomato on top and continue steaming until zukes are done. remove from steamer to serving plate or bowl. season with the consommé, sea salt, & pepper to taste & toss lightly. cover with grated mozzarella and let the cheese melt. serve. enough for 4.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 07-10-2009

Hmmmm, squash. Squash sauteed with onions/garlic and tomatoes. Squash and tomatoes and mozarella, breaded squash, Zucchini boats stuffed with Italian sausage, Eastern Indian style zuchinni, deep fried Zucchini, Zucchini with feta and pesto, Marinated zucchini and mushrooms, Zucchini bread, muffins, Zucchini bars, Zucchini quiche, Grilled Zucchini, Zucchini Carpaccio, Zucchini parmesan, Zucchini fritters, Zucchini Moussaka,Thai Zucchini, Zucchini onion tomato parmesan casserole, Zucchini lasagna, Zucchini pie, Zucchini Crostini, Zucchini Fritatta, Zucchini with rice, chiles and cheese, Zucchini proiled with parmesan and cheddar, Zucchini with tomatoes with bacon, onion and garlic, Zucchini brownies, Zucchini jam, Zucchini Caponata, Zucchini cooked with onions and sour cream, Zucchinni in breadcrumbs and parmesan, Mexican Zucchini, Zucchini with corn and peppers.

Oh my...I could go on and on I guess. :roll: Big Grin I should stop now.

Re: What's in your garden? - matilija - 07-10-2009

no! don't stop!.....it's a zucchini orgasm....

:shock: :shock: Laughing

Zucchini Bruschetta.

OK, Sisk, so, how did you prepare this evenings zucchini?