RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

Re: What's in your garden? - WKYonc - 02-23-2010

I'll check. But, I'll come to my garden alone, while the dew is still on the roses, and the voice I hear falling on my ear...

Proving that even heathen's went to Sunday school.

Now, what's in my garden? Cat poop. I'm hoping to raise cat tails. Or, get a little pussy.

Proving that Sunday school didn't help a bit.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 02-23-2010

OK, Wonk, that's pretty funny. Cattails. Big Grin Laughing

Re: What's in your garden? - matilija - 02-28-2010

TennisMom Wrote:Why do people plant stuff like parsley? Or kale? Swiss chard - ick. Worse than spinach, although I love spinach as long as it's not by itself. It has to be on or in something.

Our community plot in Ashland will either be a ringing success or the laughingstock of the town. Cool
i can't think of anything more delicious than fresh parsley, steamed or stir fried kale and swiss chard. you must have a very healthy body to not crave greens, tennismom. so, what do you plan to plant? i encourage a watering system with a timer so that you can get away when you want.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 02-28-2010

I use my parsley. I planted spinach also. Not so much Kale or swiss chard. Cabbage yes.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 03-01-2010

Plus, parsley isn't just for the table. It's an herb and a good one. And herbs can have health and medicinal benefits, in this case, a good diuretic, a kidney cleanser, good for post birth, gout, rheumatism, and a general detoxifier. I've made tea with the mint from my garden or rose hips, why not my parsley. I may need to replant that stuff.

As for the greens....not a fan of colcannon?

Re: What's in your garden? - charlie - 03-01-2010

Tia Wrote:Plus, parsley isn't just for the table. It's an herb and a good one. And herbs can have health and medicinal benefits, in this case, a good diuretic, a kidney cleanser, good for post birth, gout, rheumatism, and a general detoxifier. I've made tea with the mint from my garden or rose hips, why not my parsley. I may need to replant that stuff.

Years ago this Old Fellow told about when he was young during the Depression had gotten a job cutting wood for the Railroad and walking an area, to see it was clear. Since he had family to support was a must to work each day, but came down with boils on his buttocks and thighs that made it painful to do either. Happened a Grandma type lady told him to get a big bunch of parsley, boil into a tea to drink and use the leaves like a poultice, which not only helped but had never a problem after. Just a piece of Medical information, I remember.

As for what's in my Garden, a few less weeds since I started today digging them out, but soil much to wet to shake out.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 03-01-2010

charlie Wrote:but soil much to wet to shake out.
Charlie, that is usual around here as you probably know. I don't till untill April and then sometimes just enough to plant the cool weather veggies. The soil needs to be a little dry to get mixed well. That should happen very soon.

Re: What's in your garden? - matilija - 03-02-2010

Tia Wrote:Plus, parsley isn't just for the table. It's an herb and a good one. And herbs can have health and medicinal benefits, in this case, a good diuretic, a kidney cleanser, good for post birth, gout, rheumatism, and a general detoxifier. I've made tea with the mint from my garden or rose hips, why not my parsley. I may need to replant that stuff.

i don't care for colcannon, either, tia.
parsley is loaded with all kinds of good stuff - vitamins & minerals & potassium. it's gentle enough for very ill persons - can be added to broths. a healthy handful in the blender with fresh squeezed oj - delicious when you're a bit dehydrated or suffering from altitude changes. it is interchangeable with cilantro with regard to nutritional value.

charlie - that is very interesting about the use of parsley for curing boils in addition to it's use as a poultice.

a good garden of herbs makes a great medicine cabinet.

Re: What's in your garden? - charlie - 03-02-2010

cletus1 Wrote:
charlie Wrote:but soil much to wet to shake out.
Charlie, that is usual around here as you probably know. I don't till untill April and then sometimes just enough to plant the cool weather veggies. The soil needs to be a little dry to get mixed well. That should happen very soon.

I knew it was to wet yet, but wasn't my idea. "Other Half,' wanted me out of the house and out of his way, so suggested I go start digging out the weeds and flowers that have evaded the veggie garden side. So I did as any good little women would do, slaveing away and hauling the heavy clumps to the compost area. Finally I got to come back inside to start dinner, while he was cleaning up the roller and brushes from painting in the kitchen. I have to admit, it beginning to look nice and I would have been in the way.

Re: What's in your garden? - TennisMom - 03-02-2010

matilija Wrote:
TennisMom Wrote:Why do people plant stuff like parsley? Or kale? Swiss chard - ick. Worse than spinach, although I love spinach as long as it's not by itself. It has to be on or in something.

Our community plot in Ashland will either be a ringing success or the laughingstock of the town. Cool
i can't think of anything more delicious than fresh parsley, steamed or stir fried kale and swiss chard. you must have a very healthy body to not crave greens, tennismom. so, what do you plan to plant? i encourage a watering system with a timer so that you can get away when you want.

A watering system with a timer, what a great idea! I wonder if we can install one in a community garden.
How do you eat your fresh parsley, just out of curiosity? I might consider putting Swiss Chard on a pizza but am not really sure what kale is, actually. To me, 'green' was stuff that came in a little white box and was frozen.

What will we grow? I'm thinking tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, string beans and berries. I dunno, what else should we plant? I'm a city girl! I get excited when the geraniums in my pots don't die.

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 03-02-2010

Quote:What will we grow? I'm thinking tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, string beans and berries. I dunno, what else should we plant? I'm a city girl! I get excited when the geraniums in my pots don't die.

onions, okra ,potatoes , cucumbers, corn, watermelon, canteloupe , sun flowers and pumpkins for fun Big Grin

Re: What's in your garden? - matilija - 03-02-2010

if your family eats potatoes, tm, fresh potatoes from the ground beat none other. homegrown carrots are so delicious you'll always eat them raw - they just never make it to the soup pot or stir fry.

how large is your plot? how much spare time do you have? for myself, i started small at first with only a couple of herbs, carrots, potatoes, watermelon, cuckes, zukes, corn, and tomatoes. then, i realized that once i was out there working, what's a few more plants to tend to? you may consider tending to the garden every other day - at least once things start growing - and every day during peak growing. you may want to plan your little vacations around the harvest because you'll not want to miss the fruits of your labor.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 03-02-2010

TennisMom Wrote:
matilija Wrote:

A watering system with a timer, what a great idea! I wonder if we can install one in a community garden.
How do you eat your fresh parsley, just out of curiosity? I might consider putting Swiss Chard on a pizza but am not really sure what kale is, actually. To me, 'green' was stuff that came in a little white box and was frozen.

What will we grow? I'm thinking tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, string beans and berries. I dunno, what else should we plant? I'm a city girl! I get excited when the geraniums in my pots don't die.

You can make a parsley pesto.

1 cup De-stemmed Italian Parsley
2 tbsps. Lemon Juice
0.25 cups Pine Nuts, toasted
1 Garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. Olive Oil
0.25 tsp. Sea Salt

Or mix it half and half with Basil.

I put it in soup, lasagna, stuff with cream cheese in it, salads, marinated or veggie salads, hummus. I put it in anything I add spinach too. Italian parsley, not the curly stuff.

Re: What's in your garden? - matilija - 03-03-2010

thanks for the recipe, tia. sounds delicious. have you ever made pesto with other than pine nuts?

Re: What's in your garden? - TennisMom - 03-03-2010

tvguy Wrote:onions, okra ,potatoes , cucumbers, corn, watermelon, canteloupe , sun flowers and pumpkins for fun Big Grin

They all sound good except for okra, which I don't like. I tried to grow pumpkins once. Don't ask. :wacko:
Mati, I think our plot is ten by ten. My son-in-law says he has all the tools we'll need. I'm thinking, like, what a pitchfork? A shovel? A hoe? I already have a straw hat. Happy

Actually, son-in-law brought home a large bag of assorted seed packets. Do they just go into the ground with some water or do they have to be germinated somewhere? How deep should they go into the ground? I don't want birds to eat them. Can you tell I am new at this?

Sounds like a nice recipe, Tia, thanks. Can I leave out the pine nuts? Can't stand them.

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 03-03-2010

Quote:ctually, son-in-law brought home a large bag of assorted seed packets. Do they just go into the ground with some water or do they have to be germinated somewhere? How deep should they go into the ground? I don't want birds to eat them. Can you tell I am new at this?

The back of the seed packets will tell you when, how deep and how far apart to plant. Big Grin Buy you should try and find some gardening books OR there's always the internet.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 03-03-2010

I'm quite sure you can eliminate the pine nuts. I never buy them.

Seeds. TV is right, it depends. Read the seed packet and look at the zone. I think we are zone 6? Geez...well, lot of plants you really have to wait if you are going to put them in the ground to about May 15, depending on where you live. But lettuce, peas, kale, turnips, kholrabi, broccoli etc might come up in April. You might really save money just buying plants. You lose so much with seedlings that getting an established plant or plants really ends up being a better deal and saves money in the long run. Unless you are dedicated and a foolproof system to provide enough sun, light, and warmth to seedlings until you plant them. Oh, zucchini, cucumber Beans and corn and pumpkin do just grand being planted by seed though. As long as it's late enough in May.

Re: What's in your garden? - TennisMom - 03-04-2010

At some point we'll sort out all the seed packets and decide what to do. I'll be sure and read the instructions on the back of the packet. Maybe we'll plant some small plants too, just in case. Thanks for the tip, Tia.

Do people really eat kholrabi? Twitch

I have to confess that I'm not a vegetable person. Stuff like kholrabi, butternut squash and especially brussells sprouts are enough to stop me cold in my tracks. Toss in beets, swiss chard, lima beans and cauliflower and you'll have a full-fledged revolt (of the stomach).

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 03-04-2010

TennisMom Wrote:I have to confess that I'm not a vegetable person. Stuff like kholrabi, butternut squash and especially brussells sprouts are enough to stop me cold in my tracks. Toss in beets, swiss chard, lima beans and cauliflower and you'll have a full-fledged revolt (of the stomach).

Why are you planting a garden again? Let me guess, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers and peas. Smiling

Re: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 03-04-2010

Tia Wrote:Seeds. TV is right, it depends. Read the seed packet and look at the zone. I think we are zone 6?
The Rogue Valley is Zone 7.