RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 03-21-2010

Tia Wrote:Clete isn't speaking up, but I got some humongous iceberg, romaine and redleaf from the man. Along with some awesome Samosas once. But that lettuce...like something you'd expect to see in Alaska.
I went a little crazy last year with the lettuces, broccoli, snow peas and spinach. I had way too much. Still, I might break down and plant a dozen heads this year, but the lettuce is usually not ready till early June and I want to have summer vegetables in my garden by Mid May. Maybe if I picked the lettuce when the heads were a little smaller I could do both. :roll: I will still have some cool weather veggies that I will share, I am just not sure what yet.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 03-26-2010

Worms lots of them.

I tilled my garden on Wednesday before the rains came and noticed I had a lot of earth worms. Unfortunately the birds (Robins and crows) also discovered the worms.

I am starting to get a little more enthusiastic about my garden. I have made a drawing of the lay out and planed it more carefully based on watering requirements of the various vegetables. I also ordered some Bittermelon seeds that I will put into seed pots as soon as they arrive. Bittermelons are used in Indian and Asian cooking. Here is a photo.

[Image: bittermelon.jpg]

Re: What's in your garden? - reelo - 03-26-2010

I just ordered some potato starts, all sorts of little ones, and the onions and garlic from last year are coming back (yay!), but it will probably be closer to May before I even think of seedlings yet even indoors Sad

I've never heard of bittermelons. Intriquing.

Re: What's in your garden? - snowhater - 03-26-2010

I never knew what those things were. Bittermelons. I see those all the time in the kitchen at work. Thanks, Clete.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 03-27-2010

snowhater Wrote:I never knew what those things were. Bittermelons. I see those all the time in the kitchen at work. Thanks, Clete.
You are welcome Snowhater. Whatever you do don't taste one raw they are extremely bitter. I like them cooked if they are nicely spiced, but most Americans no not.

Re: What's in your garden? - TennisMom - 03-27-2010

So, am I given to understand that it would be better for me to take some of our seeds and try to grow them into seedlings before planting them? I've never done that (heck I've only planted seeds once) but would be willing to give it a try if it is necessary.

The best way to 'turn over' a garden is with a pitchfork, right?

Re: What's in your garden? - reelo - 03-27-2010

Or you just wait until the farmers market starts selling seedling Happy

But yes, seedlings tend to do better and if you have some no-shows you can toss 'em before you plant in the ground.

For a raised bed, a pitch fork will work (or a rototiller if the bed is big enough or you have a husband with a brand new rototiller).

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 03-27-2010

Pitch forks are for moving hay or straw I don't even own one, the best way to turn over a garden with out a rototiller IMO is a shovel.

TennisMom Wrote:So, am I given to understand that it would be better for me to take some of our seeds and try to grow them into seedlings before planting them? I've never done that (heck I've only planted seeds once) but would be willing to give it a try if it is necessary.

The best way to 'turn over' a garden is with a pitchfork, right?

Some of your seeds? It depends on what seeds you are talking about. A lot of seeds do so well that it's a waste of time to start them in containers early. IMO Corn, green beans, melons,pumpkins , watermelons, cukes, any squash, Okra all grow very easily from seeds put right in to the ground.

I have even planted seeds like crooknecks and transplanted a plant at the same time only to find that the seed grew faster and stronger then the transplant.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 03-27-2010

tvguy Wrote:Pitch forks are for moving hay or straw I don't even own one, the best way to turn over a garden with out a rototiller IMO is a shovel.

I think a pitch fork works better. I think it might be a muscles thing.

Tia Wrote:
tvguy Wrote:Pitch forks are for moving hay or straw I don't even own one, the best way to turn over a garden with out a rototiller IMO is a shovel.

Maybe we are talking about two different tools,there is a sturdy pitch fork type tool where the tines are thicker and closer together then a standard pitchfork that one would use to move hay or straw. Maybe that's what you guys are talking about?

Here ya go.............. it's called a digging fork or a garden fork Big Grin

http://www.cobrahead.com/cobrahead_bandh-fork.cfm

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 03-27-2010

tvguy Wrote:
Tia Wrote:

Maybe we are talking about two different tools,there is a sturdy pitch fork type tool where the tines are thicker and closer together then a standard pitchfork that one would use to move hay or straw. Maybe that's what you guys are talking about?

Here ya go.............. it's called a digging fork or a garden fork Big Grin

http://www.cobrahead.com/cobrahead_bandh-fork.cfm

Yep.

Re: What's in your garden? - TennisMom - 03-27-2010

So, some of my seeds might make it and some won't. I hope I can get those tomato plants from my daughter's co-worker.
My DH will be totally out of commission for this project of mine. He can barely push his feet into a pair of Crocs, let alone a pitchfork into the ground. Maybe I can prevail on my son-in-law to help me, if he can find the time.

My little patch of paradise in Ashland is ten by ten. Is that too small for corn?

Re: What's in your garden? - Wonky - 03-27-2010

cletus1 Wrote:
snowhater Wrote:I never knew what those things were. Bittermelons. I see those all the time in the kitchen at work. Thanks, Clete.
You are welcome Snowhater. Whatever you do don't taste one raw they are extremely bitter. I like them cooked if they are nicely spiced, but most Americans no not.

Sometimes typo's are so Freudian...or maybe just accidentally true. To wit:
I like them cooked if they are nicely spiced, but most Americans no not.[/quote]

Not being critical at all! My posts are full of them.

TennisMom Wrote:So, some of my seeds might make it and some won't. I hope I can get those tomato plants from my daughter's co-worker.
My DH will be totally out of commission for this project of mine. He can barely push his feet into a pair of Crocs, let alone a pitchfork into the ground. Maybe I can prevail on my son-in-law to help me, if he can find the time.

My little patch of paradise in Ashland is ten by ten. Is that too small for corn?

Yes I'm afraid so, but corn is usually easy to get and very cheap anyway about the time yours would have been ready. Also corn sucks a lot of water and has to be fertilized a lot.

Last year I found a guy with every inexpensive tomato plants, I think his location is back somewhere in this thread.

Re: What's in your garden? - charlie - 03-27-2010

My garden area has less weeds and grass clods, after spending most of this afternoon digging and shaking out. Wasn't easy as it's still to wet to work well, but did see a good crop of earth worms. Would have gone faster but repotted some violet plants that have gotten started in the garden. Right now to tired to go take the hot bath, I promised myself.

Re: What's in your garden? - Cometmom - 03-27-2010

Got DH to mow the back yard after I picked up all the winter dog poo. Thumbs Down Wanted to clean up my little raised bed but didn't get that far. Instead we worked on the race trailer to get it ready for the season. Going to the grange tomorrow to get some lawn fertilizer and round up. Hope it doesn't rain like predicted.

Cometmom Wrote:Got DH to mow the back yard after I picked up all the winter dog poo. Thumbs Down Wanted to clean up my little raised bed but didn't get that far. Instead we worked on the race trailer to get it ready for the season. Going to the grange tomorrow to get some lawn fertilizer and round up. Hope it doesn't rain like predicted.

Have you ever watched the TV show called Madhouse? I'm hooked on it. It's all about red neck racing at its best in North Carolina.

Re: What's in your garden? - TennisMom - 03-30-2010

tvguy Wrote:
TennisMom Wrote:So, some of my seeds might make it and some won't. I hope I can get those tomato plants from my daughter's co-worker.

Yes I'm afraid so, but corn is usually easy to get and very cheap anyway about the time yours would have been ready. Also corn sucks a lot of water and has to be fertilized a lot.

Last year I found a guy with every inexpensive tomato plants, I think his location is back somewhere in this thread.

Thank you tvg, I wouldn't have known that about the corn.

Re: What's in your garden? - charlie - 03-30-2010

Right now I have snow in my garden and still coming down.