RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 04-21-2009

Hey Cleter , are you going to grow any punkins?

If you do try the Atlantic giants.

http://www.backyardgardener.com/pumkin.html

Re: What's in your garden? - Cometmom - 04-21-2009

I was at Home Depot last evening and they have quite a few tomato plants that are called heirloom. Lots of Brandywine and some others I have never heard of. They are out of cherry tomatos which I love. I bought a Best Boy with blossoms.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 04-21-2009

Cometmom Wrote:I was at Home Depot last evening and they have quite a few tomato plants that are called heirloom. Lots of Brandywine and some others I have never heard of. They are out of cherry tomatos which I love. I bought a Best Boy with blossoms.
I used to grow "sweet 100" cherry tomatoes but switched to the Grape Tomatoes. They are very good and grow well here. You might want to try one plant.

Re: What's in your garden? - RobinBird - 04-21-2009

I'm a big fan of the Sun Gold cherry tomatoes. They're SO sweet.

What's a good, meaty slicer tomato for sandwiches?

RobinBird Wrote:I'm a big fan of the Sun Gold cherry tomatoes. They're SO sweet.

What's a good, meaty slicer tomato for sandwiches?
Beefsteak is usually the Favorite for slicing, but I like Bradywines.

tvguy Wrote:Hey Cleter , are you going to grow any punkins?

If you do try the Atlantic giants.

http://www.backyardgardener.com/pumkin.html
Cletus don't play that Pumpkin growing game.
What good are giant Pumpkins anyway, I mean except to use as seats for dog photos? Big Grin
I have grown some watermelon and Cantaloupes that are good.

Quote:Cletus don't play that Pumpkin growing game.
What good are giant Pumpkins anyway, I mean except to use as seats for dog photos? Big Grin

What good are flowers? there are a lot of things people grow that you can't eat although we do like to bake pumpkin seeds, salted they are very good.

I've always liked growing them because they are just a cool plant. One year I grew them and trained them up boards and had a tunnel through the jungle for the GK's to play in, I had 50 pound pumpkins hanging in the ceiling. I'll have to ask my wife where the pics are.

It's just cool to grow something that has leaves the size of a garbage can lid Laughing I always grow zucchinis too because they are so beautiful and IMO they are worthless as food. Same with Tomatilias and sunflowers.

I have grown some watermelon and Cantaloupes that are good

You bet, plant them on the edge of your tilled soil and train the vines to grow away from the rest of your garden.

Beefsteak tomatoes crack too easily and grow weird, I quit growing them a long time ago because of that.

Re: What's in your garden? - RobinBird - 04-21-2009

I stopped at the grower's market in Ashland on my lunch today and got a sun gold cherry tomato, a brandywine and a sweet orange bell pepper. Tiny little start to my tiny little garden.

Re: What's in your garden? - Prospero - 04-21-2009

cletus1 Wrote:Beefsteak is usually the Favorite for slicing, but I like Bradywines.

I always get Beefsteaks: maybe I'll try Brandywines this year. Currently I live in the Garden of Weedin, so I've got some work to do. Sad

Re: What's in your garden? - AmandaChantel - 04-21-2009

I bought a blueberry bush!

And I just watched my great dane fall off the bed

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 04-21-2009

AmandaChantel Wrote:I bought a blueberry bush!

And I just watched my great dane fall off the bed

Change her name to 'Grace'.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 04-21-2009

tvguy Wrote:
Quote:Cletus don't play that Pumpkin growing game.
Quote: What good are flowers? there are a lot of things people grow that you can't eat although we do like to bake pumpkin seeds, salted they are very good.

I've always liked growing them because they are just a cool plant. One year I grew them and trained them up boards and had a tunnel through the jungle for the GK's to play in, I had 50 pound pumpkins hanging in the ceiling. I'll have to ask my wife where the pics are.

It's just cool to grow something that has leaves the size of a garbage can lid Laughing I always grow zucchinis too because they are so beautiful and IMO they are worthless as food. Same with Tomatilias and sunflowers.

You know, I used to hate Zucchini. Probably from back in my poor years when all I had was zucchinni and brown rice to eat. So for years, I didn't eat it. Hated it. I've recently learned to like it again. So, it's worth value has gone up. By itself it's pretty blah, but cooked right with lots of other veggies it's a great filler and bulks up a skimpy meal, so I use it again. I just like Pumpkins, but I'll plant them in the back with the bamboo. May the better plant win. Tomatillos are yummy. Did you fall on your head, TVguy? Big Grin (JK) I am not going to grow them, but they are certainly not worthless. I cook with them quite a bit, so I guess you would have to define 'worthless'. I grow sunflowers for looks. Therefore, not the mammoth varieties. No melons of me. I don't like fruit, remember!?

Re: What's in your garden? - tagalong - 04-21-2009

cletus1 Wrote:I used to grow "sweet 100" cherry tomatoes but switched to the Grape Tomatoes. They are very good and grow well here. You might want to try one plant.
Hey, Cletus where did you get the Grape tomatoes? I'm thinking about making a trip from CJ to GP in the next few days. Have a list a mile long and would help not having to go several places looking.
Seemed to have gotten over my debilitating problem and decided to make a planter around an Madrone tree in my front yard. Would love to plant something there but remember the tree leaves fall in August, so after all my hard work decided putting anything like plants, wouldn't be a good idea. "Other Half,' is improving the watering system around the garden and back yard. He is such a Dear Man but don't have the heart to tell him that the dryer is making a squealing noise, so better tell him before we make the trip to GP, in case we need parts. I swear we work work harder, since retired, then before.

Re: What's in your garden? - RobinBird - 04-22-2009

Tagalong, you should go to the growers market in GP on saturday. The one in Ashland had lots of booths from farms closer to GP with lots of plant starts and I KNOW I saw grape tomatoes.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 04-22-2009

Tagalong, I agree with Robinbird about the Saturday Market, but I did not see any there personally. I know that Chet's Garden Center just down from the Saturday Market on H Street has Grape Tomatoes in 4 inch pots for $1.99 and the Grange Coop on Hwy 199 has them too.

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 04-22-2009

Quote:Tia.... Did you fall on your head, TVguy? Big Grin (JK) I am not going to grow them, but they are certainly not worthless. I cook with them quite a bit, so I guess you would have to define 'worthless'. I grow sunflowers for looks. Therefore, not the mammoth varieties. No melons of me. I don't like fruit, remember!?

I just meant that the tomatillias are worthless to me and the same goes with peppers and cukes.

IMO peppers are what third world people put on their crappy food so they can stand to eat it Laughing

Did you ever wonder why peppers were hot in the first place?? so animals would not eat them and I bet other then stupid humans they don't Laughing Laughing

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 04-22-2009

Quote:Tagalong ...He is such a Dear Man but don't have the heart to tell him that the dryer is making a squealing noise

It could be a belt but it's also likely that it's a roller..... a wheel that the drum rotates on.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 04-22-2009

tvguy Wrote:I just meant that the tomatillias are worthless to me and the same goes with peppers and cukes.

IMO peppers are what third world people put on their crappy food so they can stand to eat it Laughing

Did you ever wonder why peppers were hot in the first place?? so animals would not eat them and I bet other then stupid humans they don't Laughing Laughing

OMG, I have another theory: Some people's taste buds were stunted in childhood so that their tastes remained in a juvenile state and they are now unable to appreciate spices including peppers. Peppers give food a robust and unique flavor. Children like sweet, bland and cheesy, Cheerios Boy. Most of the rest of the world likes spicy. Most adults have Adventuresome appetites, Mac Cheese Daddy. Laughing Wink

Re: What's in your garden? - RobinBird - 04-22-2009

yeah, when I was a kid anything spicier than chili powder was too much for me. Laughing

Now I'm ok with some reasonable spice, especially horsradish or wasabe types of spice.