RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

Re: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 05-06-2010

Tia Wrote:The paper says 40 degrees tonight...is that high enough to leave the little guys uncovered? I covered all week. Got a smidge of frost damage that I hope will be pulled through. How about tonight? Should I? Shouldn't I?
Your pot plants should be fine.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 05-06-2010

PonderThis Wrote:
Tia Wrote:The paper says 40 degrees tonight...is that high enough to leave the little guys uncovered? I covered all week. Got a smidge of frost damage that I hope will be pulled through. How about tonight? Should I? Shouldn't I?
Your pot plants should be fine.
You mean her potted plants right? Big Grin

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 05-07-2010

Oh well. I'm fighting a cold, so before I could go out to cover them just in case, I fell asleep. I haven't looked at them yet...I'll see soon. Last time I ask for advice around here though.

Re: What's in your garden? - Cometmom - 05-07-2010

Tia Wrote:Oh well. I'm fighting a cold, so before I could go out to cover them just in case, I fell asleep. I haven't looked at them yet...I'll see soon. Last time I ask for advice around here though.
My thought would have been better safe than sorry. Since you didn't cover them and it didn't freeze last night, all is well. All I have purchased so far is a grape tomato plant that I haven't even planted yet. Maybe this weekend. I think Mother's Day is the rule of thumb for last danger of frost.

Hope you get over your cold. Are you sure it's not allergies? Allergies will mimic a cold and make you sleepy.

Re: What's in your garden? - reelo - 05-07-2010

You know, I don't know if 40 degrees will damage your plants. My first thought is no because even during summer 40 at night is not unusual for us-- but then it occured to me that a lot of the stuff they sell up here is geared towards cooler summers then what is sold in Medford.

Anyway, feel better.

Re: What's in your garden? - Yeshuah Hamashiach - 05-07-2010

[Image: 213.jpg]

Re: What's in your garden? - Yeshuah Hamashiach - 05-07-2010

[Image: 1.jpg]

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 05-07-2010

reelo Wrote:You know, I don't know if 40 degrees will damage your plants. My first thought is no because even during summer 40 at night is not unusual for us-- but then it occured to me that a lot of the stuff they sell up here is geared towards cooler summers then what is sold in Medford.

Anyway, feel better.

Seems we've taken a turn for the warmer. The damage I had was similar to what cletus described. Some damage but not fatal.

Re: What's in your garden? - charlie - 05-08-2010

Reelo, I had a call from my friend in Elk, who was headed to the Inland NW Garden at Spokane Community College for the annual plant sale, that's held Sat., today only. She went on to say that they had everything that a person might want in plants, but had to be careful in finding the plants that would grow in the cooler, short season you have, since plants are brought in from other zones.

Re: What's in your garden? - reelo - 05-08-2010

Smiling

I may have brushed past your friend at some point already today. I didn't get many plants, truthfully we just needed some veggies and I already have a lot of tomato plants-- so between a lack of storage (it isn't warm enough yet to plant outside), not much needed my checking account came out mostly unscathed.

Re: What's in your garden? - charlie - 05-08-2010

Made a run around Cave Junction and left alittle money in 3 different places for plants. Got flower in the ground but tomatoes will have to wait a couple days, since we just got the ground tilled.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 05-09-2010

I am planting more in my garden today. I have three rows already done and only 11 more rows to go. I also cut down two more trees that were shading the garden a bit yesterday, after which I swore not to cut down any more trees.

Re: What's in your garden? - TennisMom - 05-09-2010

My illustrious son-in-law has built a beautiful garden in their backyard. Deer fencing, a 'roof' of sorts to keep deer from jumping over the fence, and rows for planting.

Rows?!

When did this happen? Rows?

I thought all I had to do was turn over some dirt and stick seeds in the ground. Now I have to do rows? I'll have to get someone to do it for me since my foot, which I twisted on the steps of my niece's Catholic school, is still sore. To tell you the truth, even if it wasn't sore, I'd have to get someone to do it for me. I'm hoping my son-in-law will be for hire. Happy

Rows. Who knew?

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 05-09-2010

Waiting for TV to post a photo of one of his visiting garden critters. Last year it was a hawk(?) and a cicada and maybe something else. And of course the dog.

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 05-09-2010

Tia Wrote:Waiting for TV to post a photo of one of his visiting garden critters. Last year it was a hawk(?) and a cicada and maybe something else. And of course the dog.

I had another visit by a hawk, this one must have been sick because he was hanging around just before dark sitting on a box that was in a trailer full of trash. Not a very safe place. I looked the next morning and he was gone. He let me get VERY close, which is not a good sign.

[Image: zzzzzzzzzzzzzhawk2010011.jpg]

and of course the dog Laughing Sleeping beauty

[Image: Lolasleepingbeauty.jpg]

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 05-09-2010

tvguy Wrote:
Tia Wrote:Waiting for TV to post a photo of one of his visiting garden critters. Last year it was a hawk(?) and a cicada and maybe something else. And of course the dog.

I had another visit by a hawk, this one must have been sick because he was hanging around just before dark sitting on a box that was in a trailer full of trash. Not a very safe place. I looked the next morning and he was gone. He let me get VERY close, which is not a good sign.

[Image: zzzzzzzzzzzzzhawk2010011.jpg]

No, not a good sign, but a good pic. I find myself looking forward to your garden critter pics.

Re: What's in your garden? - charlie - 05-09-2010

I noticed the dog even has the remote handy.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 05-09-2010

tvguy Wrote:and of course the dog Laughing Sleeping beauty

Although not visible in the photo, there are 4 empty bottles of Fat Tire Ale on the floor by the couch. The dog is clearly drunk.

cletus1 Wrote:
tvguy Wrote:and of course the dog Laughing Sleeping beauty

Although not visible in the photo, there are 4 empty bottles of Fat Tire Ale on the floor by the couch. The dog is clearly drunk.

That would explain this animals incredible ability to sleep when ever it thinks it's a good idea. Which is more often then not. Razz