RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

Re: What's in your garden? - charlie - 05-21-2010

So darn glad I don't have a thing planted out, just some things that are still in the pots and I just move them as necessary. Next week will be the push to get something really going in the garden.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 05-21-2010

I covered. Last time it got to my peppers anyway and they still haven't really recovered. The tomatoes not so bad. One even has flowers. Let's hope my coverings are more effective this time.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 05-22-2010

PonderThis Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:Dear baby Jesus don't let my plants freeze tonight. In the name of the father, son and holy ghost. Amen Sad
If superstition saves you tonight, it doesn't look likely to save you the night after. Big Grin
Oh ye of little faith, Jesus did save my vegetable plants from the frost last night. However, tonight I may use some pots to cover my plants just in case Jesus is not up to performing two miracles in a row. Miracles in a row, hehe hehe.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 05-22-2010

TooAnxious Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:Dear baby Jesus don't let my plants freeze tonight. In the name of the father, son and holy ghost. Amen Sad

I'll send my shamanic power animals, my earth goddesses, St. Brigid, Quan Yin, and the Green Tara over to help out. (I'll keep Kali home, though. She's been in a bad mood and may not get along with your Ganesha too well.)

Maybe you should try a few sacrifices to Demeter and Persephone. Oh, wait . . . I think they usually want male blood. Twitch Laughing
Thanks Dear, but now I am not sure who saved my garden. Smiling

Re: What's in your garden? - reelo - 05-22-2010

Actually Demerter usually got the first fruits of the harvest Smiling

Re: What's in your garden? - Yeshuah Hamashiach - 05-22-2010

TooAnxious Wrote:

I'll send my shamanic power animals, my earth goddesses, St. Brigid, Quan Yin, and the Green Tara over to help out. (I'll keep Kali home, though. She's been in a bad mood and may not get along with your Ganesha too well.)

Maybe you should try a few sacrifices to Demeter and Persephone. Oh, wait . . . I think they usually want male blood. Twitch Laughing
Well, that says it all. I already ate all of those folks for dinner so ...........

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 05-22-2010

My tomater plants are safe and in my kitchen they already have little tomaters bout the size of a nickel, I would hate to lose em. Big Grin

Re: What's in your garden? - TennisMom - 05-22-2010

cletus1 Wrote:
PonderThis Wrote:
If superstition saves you tonight, it doesn't look likely to save you the night after. Big Grin
Oh ye of little faith, Jesus did save my vegetable plants from the frost last night. However, tonight I may use some pots to cover my plants just in case Jesus is not up to performing two miracles in a row. Miracles in a row, hehe hehe.

Laughing Laughing

Well, I don't care if it rains or freezes,
Long as I have my plastic Jesus
Riding on the dashboard of my car
Through all trials and tribulations,
We will travel every nation,
With my plastic Jesus I'll go far.

Re: What's in your garden? - TooAnxious - 05-22-2010

reelo Wrote:Actually Demerter usually got the first fruits of the harvest Smiling

Yes, in real mythology. However, I'm talking about all of those weird "fertility cult" movies. You know the kind. A family moves into a weird little isolated New England village or onto a pristine English island where the people appear to be living in the past. The wife gets sucked into the local women's "organization." Pretty soon all the women are running around naked with corn husk dolls and flower wreaths on their heads and some guy ends up a human sacrifice to make the corn grow. I think a Tom Tryon book with that plot was made into a movie where the women were all processing into the corn field chanting "Da-Da-Demeter" or something like that. Surprised

I like those movies! Razz Laughing Laughing

Jesus Christ Wrote:
TooAnxious Wrote:

Well, that says it all. I already ate all of those folks for dinner so ...........

Da-da-Demeter!

Re: What's in your garden? - Yeshuah Hamashiach - 05-22-2010

TooAnxious Wrote:
Jesus Christ Wrote:
TooAnxious Wrote:I'll send my shamanic power animals, my earth goddesses, St. Brigid, Quan Yin, and the Green Tara over to help out. (I'll keep Kali home, though. She's been in a bad mood and may not get along with your Ganesha too well.)

Da-da-Demeter!
Very popular round here dear but ..... ate her too.

Re: What's in your garden? - reelo - 05-22-2010

I can't say anything, those cheesy movies are the reason I got interested in studying mythology to begin with Smiling Of course, some of the best are the plain old Salem witch ones that go horribly, horribly wrong (i.e. The Devonsville Terror but only because I like heads exploding like watermelongs near Galagher).

My starts just broke the soil, hopefully the weather will mellow out (and the hubby will do his rototilling) so I can get them in the ground in the next week or so.

reelo Wrote:I can't say anything, those cheesy movies are the reason I got interested in studying mythology to begin with Smiling Of course, some of the best are the plain old Salem witch ones that go horribly, horribly wrong (i.e. The Devonsville Terror but only because I like heads exploding like watermelongs near Galagher).

My starts just broke the soil, hopefully the weather will mellow out (and the hubby will do his rototilling) so I can get them in the ground in the next week or so.

If you like Salem witch stuff, you might enjoy the mystery novel, The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe. The author is completing her Ph.D. dissertation in American and New England Studies and (as the notes on the back of the book indicate) she "is a descendant of Elizabeth Proctor, who survived the Salem witch trials, and Elizabeth Howe, who did not." No heads exploding, but she offers an interesting perspective on the issue in the context of a fairly well-written novel. I picked it up from the "buy 2 get 1 free" table at Barnes and Noble along with another myth-based mystery that takes place in Iceland called My Soul to Take, written by Yrsa Sigurdardóttir. Abandoned ghost babies in that one. (Hey, I need some totally pointless relief from the academic crap!)

And, to keep this in the context of the thread title . . . Howe's novel talks about some very interesting plants growing in the garden of the mystery house. Razz

Re: What's in your garden? - orygunluvr - 05-22-2010

In my garden right now are white buckets and a few black plastic pots. All covering tomatoes and some other various starts from the dreaded global warming we are supposed to have tonight. Other than that there is 2 types of kale, different salad greens, 4 types of onions, carrots, pea pods, mini cantaloupes, zucchini, cucumbers, lemon cucumbers, 2 types of sunflowers randomly placed for color and to attract bees, cherry maters, sun gold maters, 1 rainbow mater, ace maters, 1 brandywime mater and, and will be adding some beef steak and roma maters next week, and also will be adding at least 1 type of basil.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 05-23-2010

My garden survived another night. I planted less green beans and cucumbers this year. I also planted some new stuff including Mini Maui sweet onions and a variety of yams. The directions on the yam and sweet potato starts say to mound up soil around the plants as they grow leaving only around 12 inches of vines above the surface. We shall see how that works.

Re: What's in your garden? - TennisMom - 05-24-2010

We put up some poles in anticipation of the Pole Beans growing up them. Also put in some bush beans, two kinds of scallions, some lettuce and turnips. Tomorrow the DH is going to get several types of tomatoes and some peppers which we'll plant. Those things don't do too well from seed, apparently. Not that I know anything about this. BUT. I know more than my daughter, who dug holes and poured the entire contents of the seed packets into each one. Zipped She thinks she's a big shot because her lettuce is huge. HAH. She'll have to thin it out, 'cause it's one big clump.

I wonder if the wind blew down the poles... We better go check at the community plot.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 05-24-2010

TennisMom Wrote:We put up some poles in anticipation of the Pole Beans growing up them. Also put in some bush beans, two kinds of scallions, some lettuce and turnips. Tomorrow the DH is going to get several types of tomatoes and some peppers which we'll plant. Those things don't do too well from seed, apparently. Not that I know anything about this. BUT. I know more than my daughter, who dug holes and poured the entire contents of the seed packets into each one. Zipped She thinks she's a big shot because her lettuce is huge. HAH. She'll have to thin it out, 'cause it's one big clump.

I wonder if the wind blew down the poles... We better go check at the community plot.

The lettuce plant is huge? Or there is a huge clump of many lettuce plants?

Re: What's in your garden? - Cometmom - 05-24-2010

As of Sunday, my garden plot has no weeds. It's a start.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 05-24-2010

I've got millions of cherry tomato volunteers coming up....what to do???

Re: What's in your garden? - reelo - 05-25-2010

Little pots and the farmer's market? Craigslist?