RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

Re: What's in your garden? - root - 06-06-2010

TennisMom Wrote:HA HA, very funny. You are kidding me right? Twitch If this is true, I'm moving to the North Pole.

Couldn't help myself. I have a long history of torment where bug phobia is concerned.

Re: What's in your garden? - root - 06-06-2010

TennisMom Wrote:EARWIGS? Don't they bite? Twitch

Maybe growing a vegetable garden wasn't such a good idea. Surprised

Do you know where the earwig gets it's name?

(Hint - ears, brains, madness, death)

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 06-06-2010

Earwigs like to hang out in lettuce. Usually, when I clean loose leaf lettuce I find them all, but not always. I found one in my salad once. Should I post a photo TennisMom or would that send you over the edge? Big Grin

Re: What's in your garden? - Yeshuah Hamashiach - 06-06-2010

cletus1 Wrote:Earwigs like to hang out in lettuce. Usually, when I clean loose leaf lettuce I find them all, but not always. I found one in my salad once. Should I post a photo TennisMom or would that send you over the edge? Big Grin
They are immune to Correy snail and slug and will reproduce in it.

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 06-06-2010

cletus1 Wrote:Earwigs like to hang out in lettuce. Usually, when I clean loose leaf lettuce I find them all, but not always. I found one in my salad once. Should I post a photo TennisMom or would that send you over the edge? Big Grin

They like to hang out in ANYTHING that has moisture and hiding places like lettuce. I used to lay a pile of damp newspapers on the ground. By the next day there would be a gazillion earwigs hiding between the pages.
I would then shake it out over my fish pond and watch the fish feeding frenzy.

root Wrote:
TennisMom Wrote:EARWIGS? Don't they bite? Twitch

Maybe growing a vegetable garden wasn't such a good idea. Surprised

Do you know where the earwig gets it's name?

(Hint - ears, brains, madness, death)

Well yes of course, because of the belief that they crawl in your ear, wasn't there a twilight show where at the end the guy was happy that they removed the earwig until they told him that it had laid eggs Twitch

Re: What's in your garden? - TennisMom - 06-06-2010

Haha, you guys are very funny. Dry
A photo of a bug in salad would ensure that I never ate another salad without using a microscope to check it first. :eek:
Everything in our little garden is coming up as of today; very exciting! There's something gratifying about watching sprouts emerge from the dirt after you've planted them yourself. One of our tomato plants isn't very happy and I'm sure it's because they DH dumped a ton of Miracle Grow on it.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 06-06-2010

DIL brought over the Praying Mantises today. One egg sack. Hundreds of the little buggers. She was a Mantis fairy and went about with them on her hands transferring them to any all plants.

TennisMom Wrote:

Haha, you guys are very funny. Dry
A photo of a bug in salad would ensure that I never ate another salad without using a microscope to check it first. :eek:
Everything in our little garden is coming up as of today; very exciting! There's something gratifying about watching sprouts emerge from the dirt after you've planted them yourself. One of our tomato plants isn't very happy and I'm sure it's because they DH dumped a ton of Miracle Grow on it.

I'm sure you are right, maters don't need much of anything if your soil is decent.

Tia Wrote:DIL brought over the Praying Mantises today. One egg sack. Hundreds of the little buggers. She was a Mantis fairy and went about with them on her hands transferring them to any all plants.

I can't wait to hear how many of those will still be around after a few days. Smiling

Re: What's in your garden? - charlie - 06-06-2010

tvguy Wrote:

They like to hang out in ANYTHING that has moisture and hiding places like lettuce. I used to lay a pile of damp newspapers on the ground. By the next day there would be a gazillion earwigs hiding between the pages.
I would then shake it out over my fish pond and watch the fish feeding frenzy.

When we were kids, we'd drap gunney sack in fruit trees, then next day we'd grab them out and run like "Hell," for Mom's chicken pen, to shake them out. So back then we didn't have TV or all the things kids have today to amuse themselves.

Re: What's in your garden? - charlie - 06-06-2010

tvguy Wrote:One thing I've noticed is that you don't shy away from work Wink

Well, "Thank You," TV. So just this afternoon I got tired of pulling my own weeds and suggested to the "Other Half," that we go down to Sportsman Tavern. Had my usual soda and while the fellows told lies, took the trowel I carry in the car and de-weeded next to the Senior Thrift Store. I don't mind since I've heard most all the stories before or ones like what they will tell. Then I drive home and thumb my nose at the Cops that seen our Blazer sitting next to the Tavern but take the scenic route back home, checking the neighborhood out. The "Other Half," thinks I have been so nice to let him have his time and space, so fixes me a nice Ruby red grapefruit/vodka cocktail and I unwind.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 06-06-2010

Isn't it all 'back roads' in Cave Junction? Big Grin Just kidding.

Re: What's in your garden? - reelo - 06-07-2010

The tomatoes finally got in on friday and appear to be doing well, the temps have been holding above freezing and we've had some minor sprinkles but no drenchings. I can't wait for the beets to start growing, I love fresh little beets-- and I planted a whole rainbow of them (that and all sorts of carrots and radishes too). Next week I hope to get the beans in and maybe I can find a space for the pumpkins..... Then comes the wishing they will all be done before the cold shows up again.

Re: What's in your garden? - TennisMom - 06-07-2010

tvguy Wrote:
Tia Wrote:DIL brought over the Praying Mantises today. One egg sack. Hundreds of the little buggers. She was a Mantis fairy and went about with them on her hands transferring them to any all plants.

I can't wait to hear how many of those will still be around after a few days. Smiling

I hope we never hear anything about them again. Twitch
She did it with her hands? OMIGAWD OMIGAWD! Ninja

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 06-07-2010

tvguy Wrote:

Who knows...I've been so busy cleaning the shed and organizing my stuff, but I gotta get out there. I only wanted them for the novelty factor, not really pest control. I'll look around. They were EXTREMELY tiny, light brown, hard to see. If any are still around in a few days, they will have to get much bigger quick for me to spot them.

Re: What's in your garden? - TennisMom - 06-09-2010

Novelty factor? I'd rather have crocodiles. Twitch

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 06-09-2010

TennisMom Wrote:Novelty factor? I'd rather have crocodiles. Twitch

I don't think the cucumber beetles and maple bugs would sustain them.

We had salad today with lettuce and spinach..no mantises showed up when I washed the leaves. Big Grin

Re: What's in your garden? - Snail - 06-10-2010

All of you gardeners are in for a treat. The sun is scheduled to perform this weekend to a sold out crowd. I heard 84 degrees. Cool

Re: What's in your garden? - Cometmom - 06-10-2010

Snail Wrote:All of you gardeners are in for a treat. The sun is scheduled to perform this weekend to a sold out crowd. I heard 84 degrees. Cool
I can't wait even though we will not be home all weekend.

BTW Snail, will you please tell your family members to get the heck off of my property? They have taken over. I am afraid to use any bait because of my dog. But I am getting desparate. :x