RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 06-29-2010

So, how are folks doing with their gardens? We got turned on to some Joloka and Nanja style peppers today. I'm out of my leaque with these babies. I guess unlike regular Amercian style peppers they have different needs being more of a subtropical or tropical kind of plant.

Re: What's in your garden? - Yeshuah Hamashiach - 06-30-2010

There is one scrub jay out of four , one of two fledglings that sings . We feed them and two of them will land on my mom's hand and take a peanut. The rest of them do the usual routine but this one actually goes into it's own quiet kind of complicated vocalization. Is this a female ?

Re: What's in your garden? - Cometmom - 06-30-2010

Tia Wrote:So, how are folks doing with their gardens? We got turned on to some Joloka and Nanja style peppers today. I'm out of my leaque with these babies. I guess unlike regular Amercian style peppers they have different needs being more of a subtropical or tropical kind of plant.

I planted red, orange and yellow bell peppers. Bought them at the same time, planted them at the same time. Came home yesterday and the orange variety was dead. I will try again since DH can only tolerate these and not the green ones. I almost bought an odd looking pepper plant at the grange, but I am running out of room. I did purchase a Green tomato plant that is suppose to be sweet and spicy and good for salsa. I think an all green salsa would be unique.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 06-30-2010

Cometmom Wrote:
Tia Wrote:So, how are folks doing with their gardens? We got turned on to some Joloka and Nanja style peppers today. I'm out of my leaque with these babies. I guess unlike regular Amercian style peppers they have different needs being more of a subtropical or tropical kind of plant.

I planted red, orange and yellow bell peppers. Bought them at the same time, planted them at the same time. Came home yesterday and the orange variety was dead. I will try again since DH can only tolerate these and not the green ones. I almost bought an odd looking pepper plant at the grange, but I am running out of room. I did purchase a Green tomato plant that is suppose to be sweet and spicy and good for salsa. I think an all green salsa would be unique.
What a noob, all my peppers are happy. Smiling Wink

Re: What's in your garden? - TennisMom - 06-30-2010

Why do people in the Community Gardens go to the trouble of planting lettuce and then let it 'bolt'? Once it does that, it's toast. We need to harvest our salad greens tomorrow because I saw one in there but some people let them get as big as small trees. What, they think they are supposed to become broccoli stalks? :wacko:

Has anyone heard of newspaper as a weed barrier? It seems like they would just grow right through. Anyone tried it?

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 06-30-2010

Cometmom Wrote:Has anyone heard of newspaper as a weed barrier? It seems like they would just grow right through. Anyone tried it?

Well, it's a mulch. It does work, eventually it decomposes into the soil. I know a master gardener who uses it.

Tia Wrote:
Cometmom Wrote:Has anyone heard of newspaper as a weed barrier? It seems like they would just grow right through. Anyone tried it?

Well, it's a mulch. It does work, eventually it decomposes into the soil. I know a master gardener who uses it.

Weeds have gone crazy around my rose bushes. I am too lazy to hoe them up. I thought of using the newspaper then putting mulch down over the paper.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 06-30-2010

Cometmom Wrote:
Tia Wrote:

Weeds have gone crazy around my rose bushes. I am too lazy to hoe them up. I thought of using the newspaper then putting mulch down over the paper.

That should do it. I've heard folks putting down a lot - twenty or so pages- then covering with mulch. All mulches create a temporary nitrogen loss in soil.

Re: What's in your garden? - illcommandante - 07-01-2010

Pages from The Courier will kill anything, including weeds (If they are just literate).

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 07-01-2010

TennisMom Wrote:Why do people in the Community Gardens go to the trouble of planting lettuce and then let it 'bolt'? .

Yeah I hear ya,I woke up this morning and all my lettuce was gone.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 07-01-2010

Well, you can't really stop lettuce from bolting. I guess you mean why don't they pick it before it bolts? I just finished off all my lettuce last week. I have some seedlings. I'm going to see if I can keep them going on the porch, which gets no sun.

Re: What's in your garden? - illcommandante - 07-02-2010

The veggies are takin' off and the clones arrive mananna. Does it get anybetter than this? "God's fat little pocket"

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 07-02-2010

I'm not much of a night time heat person, but perhaps the warmer night temps will mean bruschettas and Gaspacho in my future!

Re: What's in your garden? - TennisMom - 07-03-2010

I am a neophyte to gardening but the conventional wisdom is that lettuce should indeed be picked before it bolts. We picked up our mescaline salad greens the other day and they were lovely. We'll probably replant something in the now-empty spot; more lettuce, maybe?

Our tomato plants and squash are doing so well. Smiling

Re: What's in your garden? - orygunluvr - 07-03-2010

Every 2 weeks plant a row of mesculine. When they reach the "baby greens" stage, pull them and eat. Baby greens are expensive to buy, but if you keep planting every couple of weeks you always have baby greens salads.

Re: What's in your garden? - TennisMom - 07-03-2010

I was not aware of that, Master, thank you for the advice! Will try and plant some more ASAP (we have another seed packet left).

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 07-03-2010

TennisMom Wrote:I am a neophyte to gardening but the conventional wisdom is that lettuce should indeed be picked before it bolts. We picked up our mescaline salad greens the other day and they were lovely. We'll probably replant something in the now-empty spot; more lettuce, maybe?

Our tomato plants and squash are doing so well. Smiling

I know for myself, I don't pick the whole lettuce plant. I just take the exterior leaves. More grow in and take those. And then eventually the plant will bolt, but not till I've got two or three heads worth of greens off them. So, perhaps that what you are seeing, is lettuce that's been harvested a few times and then gone.

Re: What's in your garden? - illcommandante - 07-03-2010

Mesculine makes me a little nauseus. The peyote you come down off of, but maybe you never get back from. Once is enough for sure.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 07-04-2010

My garden as of an hour ago.

[Image: 4thofJulygarden004.jpg]

[Image: 4thofJulygarden002.jpg]

[Image: 4thofJulygarden005.jpg]