RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

Re: What's in your garden? - A. T. - 08-12-2010

Tia Wrote:Nothing personal, AT, but are sure about your vision? NONE of those leaves are in focus.
Like I said...Out of focus helps me through the day? Unsure

Is this any better?
[Image: AChildsGarden009.jpg]

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 08-12-2010

A. T. Wrote:
tvguy Wrote:Is that how a stoner sees things? a little out of focus? Laughing Laughing
Note it is in focus. The leaves in the very front are vividly sharp...like it was supposed to be.
But yes....out of focus helps me through the day. Big Grin

uhhhhhhhhhhhh...ummmmmmmm...Oh yeah.......

And the night. Sleepy Happy Sleepy

Yeah I see the plants that weren't in the first pic are the ones the camera focused on but even the ones that are better aren't what i would call vividly sharp.

Re: What's in your garden? - A. T. - 08-13-2010

tvguy Wrote:Yeah I see the plants that weren't in the first pic are the ones the camera focused on but even the ones that are better aren't what i would call vividly sharp.
Kinda like me. Cool

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 08-13-2010

I see the problem...it's they way they are loading on the site. At least what I see here, is only a portion of the picture quiet enlarged. If I click on view image, I can actually see the picture you were intending to take. From that perspective it seems much more in focus. When enlarged, there is no focus.

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 08-13-2010

Tia Wrote:I see the problem...it's they way they are loading on the site. At least what I see here, is only a portion of the picture quiet enlarged. If I click on view image, I can actually see the picture you were intending to take. From that perspective it seems much more in focus. When enlarged, there is no focus.

First of all thanks Tia, I didn't know I could use "view image" like you said Big Grin

The images AT is uploading to this site are too big, they are 1024px Ã? 768px . He can set his photobucket account like I did to automatically resize the photos.

Mine are set at 640x479 which works well on this forum. The photo below is set to 640x479 Big Grin

Nice plants AT, is that dude in the skid lid you?

[Image: Potgardenfulsize.jpg]

Re: What's in your garden? - TennisMom - 08-13-2010

A. T. Wrote:
Tia Wrote:Nothing personal, AT, but are sure about your vision? NONE of those leaves are in focus.
Like I said...Out of focus helps me through the day? Unsure

Is this any better?
[Image: AChildsGarden009.jpg]

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Re: What's in your garden? - TennisMom - 08-13-2010

Tia Wrote:I was wondering when you would do some garden posting, TM!

Well, tomatoes...yes, I supposed it watering related.

Okay, that makes sense. Other plots have split tomatoes in them so I guess we aren't the only errant waterers.

Sunflowers. Well, why are they different from any other flower really? And people do harvest the seeds to roast and eat, or eat raw. Some people plant them to attract birds. After they mature, the seed heads are left on and the birds come to feast. Birds LOVE them! I diligently pulled all my sunfower volunteers this year. They also can make good bean runners.

They attract birds, yup, knew that but don't know why anyone would want to attract birds to a vegetable garden. They might be interested in things other than the sunflowers. One of my 'neighbors' is growing strawberries. Birds love those also. Oh well.

Corn and beans...and squash....don't you remember your history, TM? The Native Americans taught that to the settlers....succotash and all that...called a three sisters garden.

I forgot allllllll about succotash. I always hated succotash as a kid. My DH even cooked it with maple syrup and, while palatable, didn't do it for me. Maybe because I hate lima beans. Twitch

Marigolds are, well, traditional, as well as pretty. They are supposed to repel nematodes, which is a soil organism that attacks root systems in plants.

Okay. I figured there was a good reason and that certainly is one. Seems like a bit of overkill to me but if it makes someone happy then that's enough of a reason. They are pretty.

I'm swimming in cucumbers, tomatoes and the lettuce and peppers and cabbage and beans are coming along. I made a mistake and planted bush beans though....too bad, not nearly the harvest. I planted more peas too....they've yet to come up.

We planted bush beans as well but picked them a bit late since we were away. They didn't taste all that good. We are waiting for our string beans to be ready and I'm looking forward to those. Will keep an eye on them to make sure they do't hang on the vine for too long.

Re: What's in your garden? - A. T. - 08-13-2010

tvguy Wrote:
Tia Wrote:I see the problem...it's they way they are loading on the site. At least what I see here, is only a portion of the picture quiet enlarged. If I click on view image, I can actually see the picture you were intending to take. From that perspective it seems much more in focus. When enlarged, there is no focus.

First of all thanks Tia, I didn't know I could use "view image" like you said Big Grin

The images AT is uploading to this site are too big, they are 1024px Ã? 768px . He can set his photobucket account like I did to automatically resize the photos.

Mine are set at 640x479 which works well on this forum. The photo below is set to 640x479 Big Grin

Nice plants AT, is that dude in the skid lid you?

Thanks for that suggestion I will work on the photo bucket and fix that . I thought the size came from my newer bigscreen laptop.

Yeah...thats me. lovin the fact that my whole deal fits legally under state law and the feds aren't pushing back as long as everything toes the letter of the law. Not scared to share.
The photo's, not the flowers.

Edit;
I have tomatoes, squash, green beans, sweet peas, pumpkin and bell and jalapeno peppers. Just look like hell as I don't tend them as well as the medicine so I ain't showing you them. They are producing well though and freshly picked veggies are a regular addition to the table.

Re: What's in your garden? - Cometmom - 08-13-2010

I planted my tomatoes late. Is that why there are no fruit on my plants? I have a few grape tomatoes but I have nothing on my full size tomato plants. I have bell peppers.

Re: What's in your garden? - Guest - 08-13-2010

I have no garden. I have no plants in my home. I do NOT have a green thumb. I manage to kill everything. My husband jokes that he's surprised our kids lived! :eek:

Cometmom Wrote:I planted my tomatoes late. Is that why there are no fruit on my plants? .

I don't think so, plants will usually do what they have to do to survive no matter what and produce fruit(seed), even when planted late.

It's an odd year IMO I have huge early girl tomatoes I got a couple small red ones weeks ago but nothing since. It's loaded with green ones but it's not living up to it's name.

I'm just starting to get red maters on the bottom of some other plants.

I was saying the same thing to my daughter in law the other day. The early girl is loaded....and green. She said to stop watering and they will begin to ripen. It's hard to tell if she was right or their time had just come, but almost immediately after I ceased watering, I had reddening and now ripe tomatoes coming in one after the other. Same theory as growing weed I guess. Unsure

Tia Wrote:I was saying the same thing to my daughter in law the other day. The early girl is loaded....and green. She said to stop watering and they will begin to ripen. It's hard to tell if she was right or their time had just come, but almost immediately after I ceased watering, I had reddening and now ripe tomatoes coming in one after the other. Same theory as growing weed I guess. Unsure
I don't even have any tomatoes on the plants (except for the grape tomatoes. Maybe not enough sun? But last year I had no problem.

Before I forget again awhile back I think it was TM asked what made tomatoes crack.

I think it's too much water, and some Tomatoes like beefsteaks are prone to crack anyway. I won't even plant them for that reason.

Something else that make make tomatoes slow to produce fruit is too much fertilizer, especially nitrogen.

I also have been stressing my tomatoes by not watering enough to help them start ripening, I guess it helps but IMO the main thing that gets them turning red are shorter days, Yes Tia.. Same theory as growing weed I guess. Big Grin

tvguy Wrote:Before I forget again awhile back I think it was TM asked what made tomatoes crack.

I think it's too much water, and some Tomatoes like beefsteaks are prone to crack anyway. I won't even plant them for that reason.

Something else that make make tomatoes slow to produce fruit is too much fertilizer, especially nitrogen.

I also have been stressing my tomatoes by not watering enough to help them start ripening, I guess it helps but IMO the main thing that gets them turning red are shorter days, Yes Tia.. Same theory as growing weed I guess. Big Grin

Did you have a mini stroke? Apologize to OL. Big Grin

Cometmom Wrote:
tvguy Wrote:Before I forget again awhile back I think it was TM asked what made tomatoes crack.

Did you have a mini stroke? Apologize to OL. Big Grin

I missed that. What? Unsure Unsure

I said "make make" instead of might make, that's all. Maybe it was a teeny stroke Laughing

It's not unusual for me to do things like that when I type as opposed to when I write, I guess it's because I am still new at typing and I've written all my life.

No CM OL deserves a jab when he misspells a word right after talking about education. Laughing

Good lord, could we all get off the spelling nazi thing?

Re: What's in your garden? - A. T. - 08-14-2010

TV and Tia...stressing the weeds, or any flower, is so much different than fruits or veggies. It sets the process back a while. Flowering time is the time for more water while juicy fruits can get too much and break the fragile skin.
I know of growers that do stress their plants as experiments....but only once. it reduces the yield at the same time extending, therefore delaying, ripening time. Outdoors that isn't a good idea because fall brings too much moisture and rain with shorter days. Mold and rot set in then...no more pain relief by Christmas.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 08-14-2010

A. T. Wrote:TV and Tia...stressing the weeds, or any flower, is so much different than fruits or veggies. It sets the process back a while. Flowering time is the time for more water while juicy fruits can get too much and break the fragile skin.
I know of growers that do stress their plants as experiments....but only once. it reduces the yield at the same time extending, therefore delaying, ripening time. Outdoors that isn't a good idea because fall brings too much moisture and rain with shorter days. Mold and rot set in then...no more pain relief by Christmas.

I think that's exactly what I said...begin stressing after the fruit is well set. Tomatoes that is. I'm referring back to the days, and I mean the days when growing was kind of a newish science and the idea of stressing plants was to produce more THC. And indoor grows at that. That's the last thing I really knew about growing weed, so that was a while back. Laughing Laughing