RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 08-25-2010

tvguy Wrote:Hey clete ,I grew these this year Laughing

Yeah I know you can't eat them and poplars aren't the most popular but they grow fast and are easy to plant. There are over 50 here and many are already over six feet tall. In march I trimmed all the trees around my pool and I stuck all the branches in to the mud. 200 feet of 1/2 in poly plus a lot of drip fittings and away we go Smiling

[Image: treesinback.jpg]
Nice back yard with the tent. It is a kids paradise. It would be cool fort.

I am familiar with Poplars and how quickly they grow. Poplars are being planted both to filter waste water effluent and to use for paper pulp. They now have value beyond their historic use as wind breaks.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 08-25-2010

tvguy Wrote:
Quote:Clete.. Sir, have you no shame? You call that a garden?
This is a garden, Note the walking rows without weeds and how easy it is to move around.

Did I call that a garden? Wink Hey it's better than nothing, there have been years when I didn't grow anything. Yes yours is very nice, very orderly, very clean. Hey didn't you post a photo last year of some hired help tilling your garden? Makes me wonder, do you actually do any of your gardening? Cool

I should have just posted my garden pics from last year, who would know Laughing

This guy came from who knows where: I live in the desert and suddenly I have a little bullfrog?

[Image: frog2010.jpg]

The grand kids were to chicken to actually sleep in the tent Unsure

[Image: tent.jpg]

Looks like a homeless camp. Razz Just kidding. tents for kids are fantastic.

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 08-25-2010

Quote:Looks like a homeless camp. Razz Just kidding. tents for kids are fantastic.

Yep , just needs some beer cans an TP spread around Big Grin

Check out the same willow tree 5 years ago Smiling :shock:

[Image: pond2005-Copy.jpg]

Re: What's in your garden? - kgasso - 08-25-2010

cletus1 Wrote:[Image: HPIM0684.jpg]

I've tried to resist, but I can't help myself. I must say it.

Nice melons!

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 08-25-2010

kgasso Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:[Image: HPIM0684.jpg]

I've tried to resist, but I can't help myself. I must say it.

Nice melons!
Why thank you. I picked four cantaloupe and one watermelon today. Smiling

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 09-02-2010

Hey does anyone know if this yellow crookneck is big enough or did I pick it too soon Razz

[Image: gardensep2006.jpg]

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 09-02-2010

Nah, that squash when cooked would have the texture of cork with seeds. Let it go a few more weeks and it will taste more like veneer with marbles. Smiling

Re: What's in your garden? - imaham - 09-02-2010

I only want to know one thing in this here gardening topic.

Are the Bradshaws still operating their little farm stand and if so, do they still have corn?

I need some corn and I want to bring some real, honest to goodness, not Californicated corn back home with me in a couple of weeks.

And yes, I can and will sneak it through that stupid bug station.

"Hell-o sir. Do you have any produce, fruit or plants with you? "

" Why no miss but I do have a cooler full of Coors in the back. What time do you get off work? By the way, has anyone ever told you that you have the most amazing skin and beautiful blue eyes?"

"Ahem, Thank you and enjoy your visit in California"

"Well Geeze, thanks. I will do that. What time did you say you get off work?"

Re: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 09-03-2010

imaham Wrote:I only want to know one thing in this here gardening topic.

Are the Bradshaws still operating their little farm stand and if so, do they still have corn?

I need some corn and I want to bring some real, honest to goodness, not Californicated corn back home with me in a couple of weeks.

" Why no miss but I do have a cooler full of Coors in the back. What time do you get off work? By the way, has anyone ever told you that you have the most amazing skin and beautiful blue eyes?"

That still works at your age?

Re: What's in your garden? - orygunluvr - 09-03-2010

PonderThis Wrote:
imaham Wrote:I only want to know one thing in this here gardening topic.

That still works at your age?

Have you been throught there lately? I think even TV could get a date there.

Re: What's in your garden? - imaham - 09-03-2010

You missed the whole point, Ponder. Of course it works. They can't wait to get an old geezer out of their face! Smiling

Re: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 09-03-2010

imaham Wrote:You missed the whole point, Ponder. Of course it works. They can't wait to get an old geezer out of their face! Smiling

Big Grin

Re: What's in your garden? - reelo - 09-05-2010

Just stick in in a suitcase. Coolers are suspicious, luggage is not. Not that I would have any reason to know that Wink

So far we have harvested 3 tomatoes (yes, you heard that correctly) and 1 zuchini. Depressing really. And it is already cooling off so I fear the rest of the tomatoes may not long survive this earth (let alone make it to eatable goodness). This summer has been so short and cool for us that production has been about nil for us and most of the inland NW gardeners.

Re: What's in your garden? - charlie - 09-05-2010

reelo Wrote:So far we have harvested 3 tomatoes (yes, you heard that correctly) and 1 zuchini. Depressing really. And it is already cooling off so I fear the rest of the tomatoes may not long survive this earth (let alone make it to eatable goodness). This summer has been so short and cool for us that production has been about nil for us and most of the inland NW gardeners.

My friends from Elk, WA. are here with us over the Labor Day weekend and were worried about their tomatoes getting nipped by frost at home, since a cold front was to hit in their area. Seems like a waste as my lady friend is a Master Gardener, have seen pictures of a huge garden she plants each year and then keeps her fingers crossed that the growing season lasts for many things to mature. Gardening seems to be in her blood and when then the weather does stay favoriteable, then she cans, dries and shares. I really have to give them credit, since both have some medical issues, that would make most people not work as hard as they do, but seems by making raise beds, mulching and putting in a watering system and a large greenhouse that my fellow friend has designed, they have cut back on time consuming and back breaking things.

We've already had a couple of freeze warnings and I know some areas north and east of us have already had winter weather advisories as well Sad It's been unusually chilly for us (the inland NW) this summer with late frosts and now earlier the normal cold it has really put a damper in on the crops. Usually you plant a lot and can get one good crop in but I know a lot of gardeners aren't even going to be getting that this year.

Activity and hard work is good for you no matter what age Smiling

Re: What's in your garden? - orygunluvr - 09-05-2010

Pull the maters put them in a paper bag and put them in the cupboard.

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 09-05-2010

Protect your plants from frost just like you did when they were small/ If it looks like it will frost cover them with visqueen.
One year I had some saw horses with sliding glass doors on top that protected my tomatoes from frost plus gave them heat during the day. I was still picking tomatoes in December. Smiling

We've been covering them at night already, I'll have to try the paper bag trick cause we do have some green ones Smiling

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 09-05-2010

reelo Wrote:We've been covering them at night already, I'll have to try the paper bag trick cause we do have some green ones Smiling

If you put a ripe banana is the bag it's supposed to help the tomatoes to ripen since bananas produce the same gas.

Ahh, ethylene Smiling