RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 04-23-2009

I just found this guys review on super fantastics , they should be awesome.

The first time I ever saw these kind of plant a friend of mine grew then in his garden and even though they were spaced properly they grew so much he had a solid block of dense tomato plants that he actually had to trim like a FREAKING HEDGE.

They are regular plants on steroids and they weren't even the "super" variety Laughing

This is my first year of growing Super Fantastic. It was a choice I made after years of Celebrity, Early Girl and Better Boy. The fruits are not necessarily big as tomatoes go, but the quantity is overwhelming! Each plant is producing enormous numbers of tomatoes; more than any other variety I've grown. All my plants were late this year due to a cold and wet spring, therefore a late harvest. Our abnormally dry summer hasn't helped either. In spite of adversity this tomato has performed remarkably well!

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 04-23-2009

tvguy Wrote:I just found this guys review on super fantastics , they should be awesome.

The first time I ever saw these kind of plant a friend of mine grew then in his garden and even though they were spaced properly they grew so much he had a solid block of dense tomato plants that he actually had to trim like a FREAKING HEDGE.

They are regular plants on steroids and they weren't even the "super" variety Laughing

This is my first year of growing Super Fantastic. It was a choice I made after years of Celebrity, Early Girl and Better Boy. The fruits are not necessarily big as tomatoes go, but the quantity is overwhelming! Each plant is producing enormous numbers of tomatoes; more than any other variety I've grown. All my plants were late this year due to a cold and wet spring, therefore a late harvest. Our abnormally dry summer hasn't helped either. In spite of adversity this tomato has performed remarkably well!

"Smalls! You're killing me here!" and where is mine?

HUH?.. I'm so tired I'm rummy, what did I miss..smalls? :wacko:

tvguy Wrote:HUH?.. I'm so tired I'm rummy, what did I miss..smalls? :wacko:

The sand lot.

Re: What's in your garden? - tagalong - 04-23-2009

tvguy Wrote:HUH?.. I'm so tired I'm rummy, what did I miss..smalls? :wacko:

If you think you are rummy, I just posted half page after calling you a "Wimp," knowing your age and me being almost 71 yrs. and I submitted it, then it disappeared. Oh, well it was only a joke. and to "Darn tired," to rewrite. Boy, was it a chilly wind blowing today.

Well, the tomaotes I do have were looking perky out there in the sun with even some flowers on them. But back in the window they go.

The Sand lot was awesome Laughing Yeah tagalong, the tree was my brothers and he's 73 , I did all the cutting and the splitting Sad But you're right I am a bit wimpy having not worked 8 hours a day for a while

Re: What's in your garden? - Cometmom - 04-23-2009

tvguy Wrote:
Tribble Wrote:This sounds like it could be fun---

Hanley Farm Plant Sale
Heritage Plant and Vegetable Sale

Hanley Farm will be featuring a wide variety of heirloom vegetables, old-fashioned ornamentals, heirloom plants from the Hanley gardens, grapes, figs, hanging baskets and grafted apple trees. Master Composter, Denny Morelli, will also be giving a class from 1 - 2:30 p.m. in our 1857 barn. Attendees will learn the basics of composting and soil enhancement and receive a 1.5 cubic foot bag of compost. There will be a draft horse obstacle course demonstration as well.

When: Saturday, May 9 from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Where: 1053 Hanley Rd. between Central Point and Jacksonville
Cost: Free admission; $10 donation to SOHS for composting class
For more information, call 541-773-2675

Cool sales gimmick , come to our plant sale and receive a free 1.5 cubic foot bag of shit Laughing Laughing Razz

I bought six big tomato plants at the growers market today, right now I'm too tired to remember(cut & spilt big oak tree) what they were except for two "super fantastics"
Not a "free" bag, you "pay" a $10.00 "DONATION" Razz

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 04-24-2009

tvguy Wrote:The Sand lot was awesome Laughing Yeah tagalong, the tree was my brothers and he's 73 , I did all the cutting and the splitting Sad But you're right I am a bit wimpy having not worked 8 hours a day for a while

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc7t_ET6SNQ

Re: What's in your garden? - Cometmom - 04-24-2009

Will it be safe to plant my tomatoes tomorrow?

Cometmom Wrote:Will it be safe to plant my tomatoes tomorrow?

There's an old saw about this area, about not planting tender plants till after May 15. I've seen it get frosty even AFTER May 15. You could plant them, though, if you were diligent about covering them on a cold night.

Re: What's in your garden? - tagalong - 04-24-2009

Tia Wrote:
Cometmom Wrote:Will it be safe to plant my tomatoes tomorrow?[/

There's an old saw about this area, about not planting tender plants till after May 15. I've seen it get frosty even AFTER May 15. You could plant them, though, if you were diligent about covering them on a cold night.

Just to refresh my mind, what do you consider tender plants?

Tender plants. Wussy little plants that faint at the first sight of chill. Delicious plants that need stable warm temperatures, or they swoon and fall over.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 04-25-2009

Tia Wrote:Tender plants. Wussy little plants that faint at the first sight of chill. Delicious plants that need stable warm temperatures, or they swoon and fall over.
Now that is a description of plants that don't tolerate frost that I have not seen before. Big Grin

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 04-25-2009

diligent??? I already lost a couple of my maters to the frost Sad Crying Crying

They were so young and tender, and they were out in the cold...alone Sad , they didn't have a chance,they just weren't ready, they never knew what hit them, if only I would I have, sniff... watched the weather and perhaps raised them, taught them a little better Neutral why , why ??Oh WHY?

[Image: stock-broker-remorse.jpg]

Re: What's in your garden? - reelo - 04-25-2009

[Image: funny-pictures-your-garden-has-nice-cattails.jpg]

Sorry.

Planting season doesn't roll around until mid-may at the earlies, but I have some lovely starts popping up in the laundry room. Hubby just built a bunch of raised beds and we got some berry vines as well-- it will be soo nice to have fresh veggies here this summer.

They had a big plant sale at the Josephine County Fairgrounds today. I cant believe how much people sell starts for. The 4 inch pots were $1.00 each and the others were $2.50 and $3.00. I bought one grape tomato plant that I will take indoors if there is any danger of frost. Hey TV, nothing in the ground till mothers day Big Grin I start everything but tomatoes and peppers from seed so that I can keep expenses down. I still spent $38 on veggies from Greenleaf today. I cant wait to post some photos. They are coming soon. Smiling

I hear you guys about waiting till mothers day but can you say you've had ripe tomatoes in the garden June 1st?

I've done that twice Big Grin anyway I'll be covering stuff with more vigilance, unless I forget where I put my vigilance.

YIKES!!! Wednesday is supposed to get down to 23!!!!

tvguy Wrote:YIKES!!! Wednesday is supposed to get down to 23!!!!
The Weather Channel forecasts 38 degrees on Wednesday. Did you get your report from UTR? Laughing