RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

Re: What's in your garden? - charlie - 10-16-2010

tvguy Wrote:I guess everyone is up to their eyeballs in these but I took a couple pics anyway. The wife and I are REALLY loving eating fresh tomatoes.

[Image: tomatoesoct162010003.jpg]

[Image: tomatoesoct162010006.jpg]

Looks like you've been taking pictures in my garden, was able to share with several famiies this year and hopefully most of those still on the vine will come close to rippening. Did get some odd tops on some but sliced that off, they are fine and real tasty. Can't complain how the garden did considering the later growing season.

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 10-16-2010

Quote:Looks like you've been taking pictures in my garden, was able to share with several famiies this year and hopefully most of those still on the vine will come close to rippening. Did get some odd tops on some but sliced that off, they are fine and real tasty. Can't complain how the garden did considering the later growing season.

Yes We have been giving quite a few away also to friends and family. I'm going to cover mine with visqueen and try to keep them alive as long as I can.

That reminds me, I need to check now and see if it's going to freeze tonight Smiling

Re: What's in your garden? - A. T. - 10-27-2010

Now the garden has nothing in it. Well...it does have a lot of the foilage turned into it so the earth will be mega rich come spring.
The mold that hit here was incredible. Coldest, cloudiest and wettest summer on record.Affected everything from the pumpkins and squash right down to the lowly black eyed peas and okra.
The medical garden fared okay despite me losing half of the plants to mold. A local compassionate co-op that has 44 acres lost about 20 acres of them. They got less sun than the others. I got enough to donate some to the co-op that lost so much.
Giving weed away somehow does my very soul good. Big Grin Smiling Wink Cool Razz Twitch

Re: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 10-27-2010

A. T. Wrote:Now the garden has nothing in it. Well...it does have a lot of the foilage turned into it so the earth will be mega rich come spring.
The mold that hit here was incredible. Coldest, cloudiest and wettest summer on record.Affected everything from the pumpkins and squash right down to the lowly black eyed peas and okra.
The medical garden fared okay despite me losing half of the plants to mold. A local compassionate co-op that has 44 acres lost about 20 acres of them. They got less sun than the others. I got enough to donate some to the co-op that lost so much.
Giving weed away somehow does my very soul good. Big Grin Smiling Wink Cool Razz Twitch

I was wondering how your honey cure (2 tablespoons per gallon) was working on bud rot. Sounds like not too well. I heard about a systemic fungicide called something-20, do you have any word on that? I wouldn't ordinarily be in favor of a systemic, but mold seems to be such a universal problem.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 10-27-2010

What's in my garden?

At least 50 probably more, green tomatoes.

Re: What's in your garden? - A. T. - 10-27-2010

PonderThis Wrote:
A. T. Wrote:Now the garden has nothing in it. Well...it does have a lot of the foilage turned into it so the earth will be mega rich come spring.

I was wondering how your honey cure (2 tablespoons per gallon) was working on bud rot. Sounds like not too well. I heard about a systemic fungicide called something-20, do you have any word on that? I wouldn't ordinarily be in favor of a systemic, but mold seems to be such a universal problem.
the bud rot was stopped with the honey. problem was there was no sun this summer to dry the soil. many root rot/mold stories along the bay area to the central coast this year. mine included.

Re: What's in your garden? - imaham - 10-27-2010

A. T. Wrote:
PonderThis Wrote:

the bud rot was stopped with the honey. problem was there was no sun this summer to dry the soil. many root rot/mold stories along the bay area to the central coast this year. mine included.

Yep. Same thing here. The gophers are thriving but even the 'maters I planted in the grow boxes failed. I planted some standards, some cherries and some pear types but they all got that damn disease we have been dealing with here along with not getting any sun through the fog. I think I was able to eat maybe a dozen before they all went belly up. BTW, it wasn't so much mold. I heard someone on KSCO saying what it was but I can't remember the name. Some kind of fungus. Come to think about it....maybe mold is a fungus! What do I know!

Let us hope for a better year next year A.T. Maybe we can do a community garden.......I am building up an area that I have been composting for the past couple of years and am trying to find a way to keep the gophers, squirrels and cute little bunnies out. The horses I can deal with. Now the dog, she is a whole different thing! Smiling

Re: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 10-28-2010

imaham Wrote:
A. T. Wrote:
PonderThis Wrote:I was wondering how your honey cure (2 tablespoons per gallon) was working on bud rot. Sounds like not too well. I heard about a systemic fungicide called something-20, do you have any word on that? I wouldn't ordinarily be in favor of a systemic, but mold seems to be such a universal problem.

Yep. Same thing here. The gophers are thriving but even the 'maters I planted in the grow boxes failed. I planted some standards, some cherries and some pear types but they all got that damn disease we have been dealing with here along with not getting any sun through the fog. I think I was able to eat maybe a dozen before they all went belly up. BTW, it wasn't so much mold. I heard someone on KSCO saying what it was but I can't remember the name. Some kind of fungus. Come to think about it....maybe mold is a fungus! What do I know!

Let us hope for a better year next year A.T. Maybe we can do a community garden.......I am building up an area that I have been composting for the past couple of years and am trying to find a way to keep the gophers, squirrels and cute little bunnies out. The horses I can deal with. Now the dog, she is a whole different thing! Smiling

1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth nailed to the bottom of your boxes will stop gophers. It might take a dog to keep out the squirrels and cute little bunnies.

Re: What's in your garden? - illcommandante - 10-28-2010

At the post office, they wondered if I was selling pot through the mail. My shipments picked up a little odor during the trimming party. But, no, I'm just selling yardsale crap to idiots who have no real use for it. In the end, the garden was a great success. My Brandywines got eight feet tall.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 10-28-2010

My sister in law has been coming by and picking all the late tomatoes and peppers. Everything else is finished. I am pleased to see that almost everything got used this year. I was also happy with the amount of produce I got from the garden this season. Next year I will plant fewer jalapenos and tomatoes and more winter squash. There has been no freeze here yet, but I am watching the weather and will harvest the rest of the green tomatoes when we get another freeze warning.

Re: What's in your garden? - charlie - 10-28-2010

Still more green tomatoes, but picked all that had even had a blush on them. Same with the green peppers that was medium size and thinking about stuffing them to freeze for later or chopping in a giant meat loaf, and again freezing enough for separate meals. Didn't tackle the green beans that are left, at least in the rain. Still thinking about freezing the green ones and look for a salsa, relish or something I can make up during the winter so they don't go to waste. But for the most part garden is over.

Re: What's in your garden? - charlie - 10-28-2010

Plan to try this, but in a smaller size.

Spiced green tomato cake, a great way to use green tomatoes before the frost gets them.
Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil or melted shortening
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup pecans or walnuts
1 cup raisins
2 1/2 cups diced green tomatoes
coconut (optional)
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350°. In mixing bowl, beat sugar, vegetable oil or shortening, eggs and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg; slowly beat into egg mixture. Blend well. Stir in pecans, raisins and tomatoes.
Pour into greased 9x13-inch pan. Top with coconut if desired. Bake for one hour, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. .

Re: What's in your garden? - TennisMom - 10-29-2010

Nice pic's, Charlie!

Much as I love this time of year, it's kind of sad to see the garden die out. We picked the last of our yellow cherry tomatoes, jalapenos and basil. We also took our friend's white/green pumpkin off the vine and brought it home. We left the onions in the ground for awhile longer; the DH says they aren't ready. Having a garden was fun, we'll definitely do it again next year.

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 11-16-2010

I was amazed at the bright red color of my Japanese maple so I thought I would save it with a pic Smiling

[Image: japmaple.jpg]

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 11-16-2010

charlie Wrote:Plan to try this, but in a smaller size.

Spiced green tomato cake, a great way to use green tomatoes before the frost gets them.
Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil or melted shortening
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup pecans or walnuts
1 cup raisins
2 1/2 cups diced green tomatoes
coconut (optional)
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350°. In mixing bowl, beat sugar, vegetable oil or shortening, eggs and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg; slowly beat into egg mixture. Blend well. Stir in pecans, raisins and tomatoes.
Pour into greased 9x13-inch pan. Top with coconut if desired. Bake for one hour, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. .

Have you tried this cake? I should try it. I need to go get some non aluminum baking powder though....I can't stand the taste of regular baking powder. Supposedly you are supposed to be able to combine baking soda and cream of tartar to make baking powder though. I think I tried that and it didn't work. ? Confused:

Re: What's in your garden? - TennisMom - 11-18-2010

Beautiful picture, TVG. We had spectacular yellows this year and our neighbors had great reds. The neighborhood looked wonderful. I love Fall. Still have a few straggler-leaves left and some roses, which is always weird to me but understand it happens out here in Oregon. Smiling

I don't know about a tomato cake but will take your word for it that it's good. Unsure

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 11-18-2010

Oh, grrrr! I was at food 4 less last night and forgot to look for the aluminum free baking powder. Dry :x

Re: What's in your garden? - charlie - 11-19-2010

I think the green tomato cake will surprise you in taste and makes for conversations at a Pot Luck, so be sure to have several copies of the recipe. I've even frozen some green tomatoes for useing later in the year for our April, after taxes Pot Luck.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 11-20-2010

I have considered after harvest tilling for years, but I have never done it. I heard through the garden grapevine and from Paul James the garden guy that used to be on TV, not to leave your garden fallow. However, I have never bothered to plant a cover crop either because I an not concerned about erosion. I just pull up the vegetable plants by the roots and compost them. I am however considering sheet composting all my leaves in the garden to keep down the weeds next spring.

Here is a recipe for people that don't grow hamburgers in their garden. Smiling

Ratatouille

1 large Italian eggplant, diced
2 medium zucchini, diced
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 red, green or yellow pepper, diced
Olive oil
3 pounds fresh tomatoes, chopped
A few sprigs of fresh thyme and parsley
1 bay leaf

Put several tablespoons of olive oil in a large saute pan, turn to medium heat and add the eggplant making sure it all fits in one layer. Saute until brown and then turn to continue browning all sides. Eggplant absorbs oil quite a bit so you may need to add some as you go. When it is sufficiently browned set aside in a bowl and repeat with the zucchini, the pepper and then with the onion. Add the garlic to the last few minutes of cooking the onion.

If you want to make the ratatouille look more refined you can remove the skins of the tomatoes before chopping by dipping them in boiling water for 30 seconds and then peeling. If you are not concerned with the skins then chop the whole tomatoes.

Add all of the ingredients together in a pot large enough to hold it all. Turn the heat on high to get things bubbling, then reduce to simmer. Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the tomatoes fall apart and the flavors have had a chance to stew together.

Serves 4 to 6.

Re: What's in your garden? - Blood - 01-19-2011

When to plant peas? The gardening guide for the Valley that I was reading says February is the for putting seed in the ground. Has anyone here had success with that? The ones I plant never come up till the warmer months. I guess this says Im ready for the spring to come!