RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

Re: What's in your garden? - Yeshuah Hamashiach - 02-05-2011

I have a Mead telescope that doubles as a spotter. I got an attachment for hooking the camera up to it but my camera is too heavy . I need to buy a newer camera with full lens with thread for filters and secondary lenses with light body. I could get some nice pics then without problems. Except it is still best to use a remote to snap the pics for high def.

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 02-05-2011

Jesus Christ Wrote:I have a Mead telescope that doubles as a spotter. I got an attachment for hooking the camera up to it but my camera is too heavy . I need to buy a newer camera with full lens with thread for filters and secondary lenses with light body. Yeah me too I could get some nice pics then without problems. Except it is still best to use a remote to snap the pics for high def.

Yeah a remote would be nice, sometimes when I use a slow shutter speed just touching the button to take a pic is enough to blur the photo. So I use the timed exposer setting.

Either that or the timer .

Re: What's in your garden? - bbqboy - 02-05-2011

film? You use your telescope to take pictures of your garden?

bbqboy Wrote:film? You use your telescope to take pictures of your garden?
BBQ I am around ten minutes from the hills and lots of raptors .
[Image: The+Nimitz+Trail.jpg]
Below was a Nike missile location.
[Image: 145trailhead.jpg]

I have an Olympus E20 SLR it is built like a tank. I have sweet Questar my dad bought but it isn't something I would take out. So I bough a Meade without the guidance system. Is doubles as a spotting scope when taken off its stand and put on tripod alone with a light camera I could take pics of birds as long as they are perched and anything on the ground . It would be useful to try and spot wildcats cats.[Image: 411999226?wid=350&hei=350&op_sharpen=1]

Re: What's in your garden? - bbqboy - 02-05-2011

I know where you are, silly. Berk isn't that big.

Re: What's in your garden? - Yeshuah Hamashiach - 02-06-2011

I need an open area I don't have at the moment from the living room height to use the telescope the way I would like to. If expense wans't an issue I would skip too much excess but without a doubt a good selection of telescopes and accessories would be the way to go. It would be awesome to do a real road trip RV style & fully equipped.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 02-06-2011

tvguy Wrote:One more thing Cletus. The best way I ever found to build a pig pen was to use those stockade panels that you get from Grange Co-op. They are 20 feet long by 48 or 54 in. or something like that. You don't need the taller ones.
They are light weight enough to move around by your self and very strong, hogs can't hurt them.They used to be about 18 bucks a piece. They also make a pretty good looking and VERY strong fence when supported by T-posts.
I had a 170 pound dog who decided my 4 foot field fence wasn't going to stop him from eating my neighbors cat. He just ran at it and bulldozed it Laughing It wasn't too funny at the time except to all of my beer drinking buddies on this super bowl Sunday when the Kraken proudly came waltzing back with the poor dead kitty dangling from his huge mouth.
It wasn't funny when I had to pay a 175 dollar fine and then ( the point of the story) I beefed up the whole fence with those stockade panels. Big Grin

Here he is, the Kraken Laughing

[Image: bigchomper.jpg]

He looks like a cat killer alright. My dogs never learned to tolerate cats either, but they could never catch any of the ones they chased. Probably a good thing.

I already have a pen for the hogs. It is an area I fenced for my dogs. It should work OK with the hot wire around the bottom of it. I also plan to dig out an area about 15 feet in diameter and a foot deep for a wallow. When it gets hot I can run water into it for a nice mud bath. We will see if this works out. I have no experience raising hogs. I sure hope they dont get out of the pen and wander around the neighbor hood. They would probably be hard to catch.

I plan to start looking for weiner pigs in late March or early April.

Re: What's in your garden? - Juniper - 02-06-2011

A wiener is a hot dog. A weaner is a weaned piglet. But I guess the weaner could become a wiener.

Re: What's in your garden? - bbqboy - 02-06-2011

Juniper Wrote:A wiener is a hot dog. A weaner is a weaned piglet. But I guess the weaner could become a wiener.
It is its destiny.
With a bit of al pastor thrown in.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 02-06-2011

Juniper Wrote:A wiener is a hot dog. A weaner is a weaned piglet. But I guess the weaner could become a wiener.
I know that. I typed wiener by mistake. Maybe I'll just buy some sausage pigs in April.

bbqboy Wrote:
It is its destiny.
With a bit of al pastor thrown in.
Isn't Wiener a Jewish name ?

cletus1 Wrote:
I know that. I typed wiener by mistake. Maybe I'll just buy some sausage pigs in April.
Build yourself a smokehouse too.

Re: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 02-06-2011

Jesus Christ Wrote:Isn't Wiener a Jewish name ?
No, that's Whiner. Big Grin

edit: I know this was in very bad taste and well, he just made it too easy to resist. I already repent.

PonderThis Wrote:
Jesus Christ Wrote:Isn't Wiener a Jewish name ?
I already repent.
No , you don't .

Re: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 02-06-2011

OK then, Winner.

Re: What's in your garden? - bbqboy - 02-06-2011

PonderThis Wrote:OK then, Winner.
I think you mean Wiener.

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 02-06-2011

Quote: Cletus... He looks like a cat killer alright. My dogs never learned to tolerate cats either, but they could never catch any of the ones they chased. Probably a good thing.

Well that was his first and only time he ever got near a cat. How the big bastard could catch a cat is a mystery. Maybe the cat was PETrified with fear or he thought he would stand his ground. Either way he darwined out.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 02-08-2011

Gaawd. I could use a cat killer over here! JK.

I have not "Planted" yet. I'm turning over rosebushes and pruning them and turning the garden. To cold. If I plant peas this soon they will rot.

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 02-08-2011

Tia Wrote:Gaawd. I could use a cat killer over here! JK.

I have not "Planted" yet. I'm turning over rosebushes and pruning them and turning the garden. To cold. If I plant peas this soon they will rot.

Wala Wala's ... as soon as you can get them , the better.
Big Grin